2B Early Season Archery.

Author
Deadbolt401
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3029
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/22 12:17:28 (permalink)

2B Early Season Archery.

So, has anyone been out? I just bought my bow this year, and I'm not the greatest of shots, but I've ventured into the woods.

Opening day, I missed a doe at about, 10 feet.  I've never been that nervous/shooken up in my life. I'm glad I got my first shot out of the way though.

Went yesterday, to break in my new boots a bit, as I was putting in my pegs, a 6 point came to within 45 yards, and bedded down and decided he wanted to watch me climb. Nothing worse than an annoying, stupid 6 point. You can't do anything to them.
Nothing rest of the day, so at 7 I decided to get down, and stalk into an open field. Bad idea. Almost stepped on a 7 and 9 pt. Both are deer I've never seen before, And I'll probably never see them again. The rut is going to be Craazy down there.

The good news is that my boots are Waterproof. My cell phone is not. My skin is not Mosquito proof.

19 Replies Related Threads

dstewart
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: 2B Early Season Archery. 2009/09/22 13:27:16 (permalink)
    every one misses  ive done my fair share.  havent gotten out yet ive had some bow problems that i hope i finaly got worked out  i wont be out for another 2 weeks to shoot non living deer  to make sure im back on target.   ive got my stand up here in moon and ive seen a couple of legal bucks 2 weeks ago and a couple more yearlings also. this year will be good in 2b  good numbers of deer and many of them are wearing crowns  good luck to you
    16506fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 433
    RE: 2B Early Season Archery. 2009/09/22 13:32:22 (permalink)
    why would you go out if your not sighted in and not confident in your shots? got any morals? lookn to just wound em or? Your not going to stalk up to an open field, they are going to see you or spook and then your screwed and just educating deer, if you think your going to, your high. glad this is what i have to look forward to running into this year in the woods.... sounds like the only thing you should be doing is going and buying a target and doing lots and lots of pratice....
    post edited by 16506fish - 2009/09/22 13:35:39
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: 2B Early Season Archery. 2009/09/22 13:42:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: 16506fish

why would you go out if your not sighted in and not confident in your shots? got any morals? lookn to just wound em or? Your not going to stalk up to an open field, they are going to see you or spook and then your screwed and just educating deer, if you think your going to, your high. glad this is what i have to look forward to running into this year in the woods.... sounds like the only thing you should be doing is going and buying a target and doing lots and lots of pratice....

Sorry we didn't all emerge from the womb being able to shoot like Ted Nugent. I guess bowhunting should be left to the experts, like you. Maybe someone will fall out of their tree stand and have to eat crow... Doosh.

Best wishes Deadbolt. I hope you are succesful.
    post edited by RhnstnCowboy - 2009/09/22 13:57:47

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    16506fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 433
    RE: 2B Early Season Archery. 2009/09/22 14:25:03 (permalink)
    not sayn im the best shot out there buck.... Just sayn why would you go out when you know your not ready yet? by far an expert, but i put the time in to make sure my bow is on and theres no question about it. misses are gonna happen- been there done that but its not from the bow- it was me. hope no one does fall outta their stand cause crow dont sound like the best of diets... na, just go out and stick a few in the hind end, leg, gut, dont find them and then when you go out askn for permission and the landowners are ****ed cause they see deer running around with arrows in them or wounded feel proud of yourself... has nothing to do about being an expert and being like the Nuge... ballbags...
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2B Early Season Archery. 2009/09/22 14:28:03 (permalink)

Oh no!? But I thought everyone had the innate ability just shoot perfectly. I thought we were born with it? Guess not. Kinda like the grammar and punctuation ability most have. You must have been born with out it. Looks like we're in the same boat.

How's this, you and I, (When I'm not high, because that's what I do when I hunt) go into the woods together, you can shoot the deer, because you have that ability remember, you were born with it. And I'll fill out the tag. Because you don't have that simple ability. Sound good?

Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2B Early Season Archery. 2009/09/22 14:35:14 (permalink)

not sayn im the best shot out there buck.... Just sayn why would you go out when you know your not ready yet? by far an expert, but i put the time in to make sure my bow is on and theres no question about it. misses are gonna happen- been there done that but its not from the bow- it was me. hope no one does fall outta their stand cause crow dont sound like the best of diets... na, just go out and stick a few in the hind end, leg, gut, dont find them and then when you go out askn for permission and the landowners are ****ed cause they see deer running around with arrows in them or wounded feel proud of yourself... has nothing to do about being an expert and being like the Nuge... ballbags...

So, point out the part where I said I've never practiced. And also, find my sentence that has me clearly stating, "I'm not ready yet."

Having trouble? That's because I didn't say it. No, I can't shoot 45 Yards dead on. And until I missed that shot, I'd never shot at a live target before. (You'd know that because in my initial post, I said "I just bought my bow this year").

You see, when most people are born, they have this crazy ability to assume things. And yes, 16506, you too have this ability. Unfortunately, when most people, (especially the people who can't use correct grammar.. hint hint) use this ability they have a tendency to "Jump to conclusions". I believe this may be what has happened here.

Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2B Early Season Archery. 2009/09/22 14:42:08 (permalink)
    Before you answer 16506, make it good, I have work until 11 tonight, so leave me something to get excited about.

Anyone else going out?
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: 2B Early Season Archery. 2009/09/22 14:44:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Deadbolt401

You see, when most people are born, they have this crazy ability to assume things. And yes, 16506, you too have this ability. Unfortunately, when most people, (especially the people who can't use correct grammar.. hint hint) use this ability they have a tendency to "Jump to conclusions". I believe this may be what has happened here.

Deadbolt, I'm going to jump to a conclusion: Thats not a dead fish in his tree stand, 16506Fish should be using Massengill when he gets that un-fresh feeling.

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    Wayniac
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: 2B Early Season Archery. 2009/09/22 15:05:04 (permalink)
    I agree practice is a must, but I did not see where deadbolt said he didn't practice. I'm sure he/she has. It is completely different when the real thing is standing 10 or 15 yards from you. I will never forget the first deer I harvested, In fact I will not forget the last deer I harvested. Everyone of those animals will be life long memories. I wish you alot of luck this archery season and for future archery seasons. I've hunted for 25 years now and archery for most of them and I still kiss one every now and then. I would rather miss than wound one but sometimes that happens also. I've looked for countless hours for deer that I took a bad shot on. Last season I shot a doe out of my stand, wide open, 20-25yards, what I considered a done deal and never found her. Arrow passed through, covered in bubbley blood and no blood trail. I looked and circled the area for hours only to come up empty haded. We did find her across the street along the creek where I stopped looking 100 yards away. It happens nobody can say any different. I've practiced and still do, hit the target 30 yards out touching arrows but the target doesn't move when it heres the bow string or arrow hitting a weed, and the target doesn't have instincts like a deer. Keep your head high and hopes up, start over this afternoon or tomorrow, take your time and focus on your shot, if it's not perfect wait, the perfect shot will come. Try not to let the excitement get you!
    The only part of your post deadbolt I thought was not good was  "a 6 point came to within 45 yards, and bedded down and decided he wanted to watch me climb. Nothing worse than an annoying, stupid 6 point. You can't do anything to them." Thats not sportsmanlike thinking, that stupid 6 point is likely going to grow and turn into a trophy someday. What about the 8 or 12 year old with a crossbow this year hunting when that young buck comes through? That will make them hunters forever. My first buck was a scrubby 3 point and I was the happiest kid alive! I don't know how much you've hunted, but again I'm an my 25th. year and killin' isn't what it's all about. I'm fortunate I get to hunt many hours in archery season and I enjoy watching the animals more thn killin' them.

As far as getting out, not yet. Have spotted many at night with the family. There are some real beauty's out there this year. It's a little to warm for me, I like to wait a couple more weeks. Good luck, Hope you get a Pope and Young buck! 
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: 2B Early Season Archery. 2009/09/22 15:12:35 (permalink)

I didn't notice anywhere in deadbolts post about not sighting in his bow. He said he's not the greatest of shots, which in my mind is ok. Afterall, we all have to start somewhere, and most of us aren't the greatest shot in our first year. It seems you are taking his comment to mean he's a poor shot, but he could mean that he isn't shooting 2 inch groups at 30 yards but is shooting good at twenty, just like most archers in their first year who could be considered good enough but not the greatest.

Deadbolt,

Don't take this guy seriously. I'd never take criticism from someone too lazy to use the shift key. Hope you kill one.
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    RE: 2B Early Season Archery. 2009/09/23 02:06:09 (permalink)
    Wayniac: I didn't mean the 6 point is completely useless. Just annoying when they're the only deer around, and they bug you.  Last year during rifle season, I had a 4 pt block a shot on a doe. Like a meatshield.

Drake: This guy is obviously an idiot. So I treated him like one, he's realized nothing he can say will save face, so my guess is he ignores this post.

I'll be heading out tomorrow evening, and don't worry. I'm only taking shots at doe that are well within my range.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: 2B Early Season Archery. 2009/09/23 02:52:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Deadbolt401

I'm not the greatest of shots

I am not trying to be a jerk but, what does that mean to you?  As long as you are comfortable at the ranges you shoot, and shoot only the shots you are 100% confident in, there is absolutely no problem there.  I don't think many of us archers can say we have never missed. Don't lose hope, keep your head up, and you will have many years of of success to come!!!

Keep at it man, better days will come your way.  The fever strikes many of us, you are not alone, that is what it is all about.  Sounds like you have plenty of good bucks running your area, they will eventually show themselves, I expect to see some pics!!
    BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: 2B Early Season Archery. 2009/09/23 06:00:34 (permalink)
    Deadbolt Keep your head up and you'll be fine, 16506 your wrong about being able to stalk up on deer in a field I have shot a few deer that way on the way out. Just because the woods were to dark BUT WAS STILL LEGAL SHOOTING TIME  And I'm sure I will  do it again.

KEEP"EM SCREAM"EM DAVE  ONLY CHILDERN and WOMAN use ALWIVES FOR STRIPER BAIT
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: 2B Early Season Archery. 2009/09/23 12:17:40 (permalink)
    Have not made it out yet but I am hoping tonight.  The wind has been crappy for the two sets I have for the early season.  Maybe tonight. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: 2B Early Season Archery. 2009/09/23 13:13:19 (permalink)
    I'm staying out of the woods until the bucks are legal.  Too hot for me to enjoy it anyway.  Good luck to you guys that do venture out.

About Deadbolts original comment, I think it was just misinterpreted, at least I hope so.  As ethical sportsman, we owe it to the animals we hunt to be as proficient as humanly possible with our weapons before we head out to hunt.  Being a "poor shot" when a deer comes in on you (buck fever) is different than being a "poor shot" on the archery range.  If you are a poor shot on the range, you shouldn't be out there hunting until you get better.  As long as he is confident in his maximum range and limits himself to those shots, there isn't much more you can do than to calm down and hope for the best when the next opportunity comes.  Hopefully that next opportunity comes sooner rather than later and it is more successful. 
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: 2B Early Season Archery. 2009/09/23 17:32:59 (permalink)
    It's funny, but I live in 2B and have two stands up, but I never even considered going hunting. Weird.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: 2B Early Season Archery. 2009/09/23 17:58:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DanesDad

It's funny, but I live in 2B and have two stands up, but I never even considered going hunting. Weird.

Me too!!

I have a decent buck patterened pretty well (I think) and I would hate to mess that up with only a week or so left to wait.  There is plenty of time to harvest a doe in 2B if I choose to, actually there is an absurd amount of time.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: 2B Early Season Archery. 2009/09/24 08:43:33 (permalink)
    Yep, I have 3 stands up on my go to property, which has just been sold :-(, but I still have permission, as of now.  I have two other new properties I recently got permission for that I haven't really scouted yet.  Not even thinking of hitting the woods until Oct. 3rd.  I'll do some low impact in season scouting on those new properties. 
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: 2B Early Season Archery. 2009/09/24 12:11:50 (permalink)
    I will not venture to my sets where I have a few bucks located till they are legal.  Just have to bump em once and game over.

I have two sets specifically for doe in a different area but the wind just will not give me a break.  It is supposed to clear this afternoon with a wind change.  If it does I will be in one of them.

My rifle is a black rifle
    Jump to: