Salmon River Brown Trout

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
young
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 124
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/23 17:29:06 (permalink)
Why did the lakers quit running??
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/23 17:59:01 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: young

I guess cause they're dead. Not many around.

Lyrical
jkbugger
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 211
RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/23 19:07:58 (permalink)
I thought the lakers were on the rebound bigtime, and as for big browns when I used to work on the lake I personally weighed 2 fish that were 29#s and saw a ton of fish well over 20. the average brown was between 5-12#s, man when your used to an average of 12 inches, that gets the blood pumpin.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
Charles Haas
metalslayer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 689
RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/23 19:46:33 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: young

Last SOL meeting I attended(kids/life gets in the way)--I believe it was stated that the mussels(zebra/quaga) had covered the conventional spawning  grounds of the lakers--thus resulting in the decline.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/23 19:50:00 (permalink)
Good info. MS....

Lyrical
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/23 19:52:13 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jkbugger

I thought the lakers were on the rebound bigtime, and as for big browns when I used to work on the lake I personally weighed 2 fish that were 29#s and saw a ton of fish well over 20. the average brown was between 5-12#s, man when your used to an average of 12 inches, that gets the blood pumpin.

Sweet Jeebus! 29#! Pretty awesome to see I'm sure.

Lyrical
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/23 20:03:01 (permalink)
While I am certainly no fisheries biologist however some things I do take notes on. The lake trout used to be the nuisance fish to the charter captains back in the early 80’s. They were as said here so plentiful they would follow the salmon up river (which is why we seen them in the rivers) . Lake trout are not stream spawners but spread deposit their eggs over rocks & bolder areas in depths of about 40’. Now here is where my thoughts come in… Around the mid 90’s (first found in the GL’s in 1988) these little things called zebra mussels started collecting on the very rocks and depths that lake trout used to spawn.. I have heard good (they filter out pollution) & bad (the destroy habitat) but the 1 thing I know for sure , The lake trout population on Lake O went down. So now we fast forward about 10 years and have found another invasive :
The Round Goby. Gobies take over prime spawning sites used by native species such as lake trout.
So why some fish may be thriving on invasive species such as, smallmouth, perch & walleye others are threatened.
Just my thoughts…

Now the Big Brown theory :
In no way are the browns today the same footballs of the years past. Football browns were the claim to fame for the spring trollers on the Big lake. Today we are seeing more river fish and the more typical long slender browns that a stream angler is accustom to. Sure a big hog will still swim the waters , it’s a big lake but anyone who has fished there long enough has to see the difference.

So How Big Is That Fish ?
I would never doubt someone’s word but a fisherman’s size of a big fish always seem over estimated. The excitement of catching what may be their biggest fish ever sometimes changes the reality of the actual size, heck I do it all the time… That Fish Was HUGE !!!! We see it on TV all the time, “that’s a 6 >7 > 8 pounder son” But put a scale on it and it can be humbling to see that giant weigh so less.
I have caught tons of what I would call big Browns, Steelhead and Salmon on the SR but honestly my biggest brown was 11.2lbs, steelhead 14.8lbs salmon 32.11lbs. To me they are HUGE… An average brown is 4lbs, steelhead 6lbs, salmon 20lbs.

Just a guess how big do you think those 2 browns are in the picture above ??? (no telling tippy-toe)
post edited by hot tuna - 2009/09/23 20:04:51

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
Cohookhead
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 177
RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/23 20:23:33 (permalink)
Fished the SR yesterday, the first fish I saw and cast to were all browns. My wife lost one that had to be near 15#'s. It was the largest I ever saw in twenty years on the SR. Fished Monday and also saw more browns and steelhead. This was all in the village above the ballpark.

Stress is just one hookset away from being gone.
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/23 23:52:58 (permalink)
Dang. I heard a big blast of Coho's went earlier in the week too. I coulda, shoulda, woulda made the trip.

HT- those Browns are 3 pounders. I won't go as high as 4. What you think?

Lyrical
jkbugger
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 211
RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/24 05:41:06 (permalink)
tuna, as far as the laker thing, I thought they were bouncing back since they instated the slot limit rule, maybe I am wrong but thats what I had heard.
as far as the brown trout, what I saw was legit, not on the salmon river, but on a lake trib, even saw a 22lb atlantic one year.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
Charles Haas
Over the Hill
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2382
RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/24 11:14:08 (permalink)
The slot limit really devasted the Lakers. Seen many floaters on the lake. Bag limit that is in place now has helped. 2/day and only one slot.
post edited by Over the Hill - 2009/09/24 11:16:11

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/27 10:27:17 (permalink)
i haven't seen a laker in the river in atleast 10 years.  but the last year i saw them in the river, (which was around 97) i would have 10 hook up days of all lakers, and many fish would be near 15 lbs.  i don't wish harm to any fish, but i do prefer that they don't run the river anymore.  i freeze my****off in the winter for steelies, not lakers that fight like a boot in the current. even the browns fight better than them. i think we all can agree on knowing when you hook a brown.  it's more of a lunker weight and a slower head thrash.  and the landing ratio for browns is much higher for me.  usually when i hook a brown, i land it. unless it's in the 12 lb. plus range.  good luck moving that weight.  but this does not trake away from my passion for browns. abck to the lakers though, it was defintiley a run that i noticed starting in the river around 92, 93; it then peeked around 95-97, and then seemed to just stop aftrer that.  i wouldn't be surprised if the dec did something that nobody knows about, because i would find them as high up as the fly fishing zones, which means you know they were getting them in the hatchery, and i'm sure they were affecting the steelhead somehow or another.  come to think of it.  those dominent laker years in the river were definitley some slower steelhead years. steelhead are my favorite.  good luck to all
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: