Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/22 09:38:32 (permalink)

Salmon River Brown Trout

So lets discuss this guys. I, as you know am not an expert on the Lake Run Fish- just a fisherman who loves to get there when he can & read every possible tidbit to fill the void in between.
Anyhow- it seems like people are catching more Brown Trout on this side of the Lake the last two years. Was the stocking plan different? Did their food move this way? Am I dreaming this all up?
Truthfully- I've never caught a Brown up there, but I get my share of leg long fish here to hold me over...

Lyrical

41 Replies Related Threads

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/22 16:09:54 (permalink)
    So no one wants to talk about Brown Trouts? Come on- someone besides me must have a Love Affair with them?

Lyrical
    johnnyb
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/22 16:39:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: salmotrutta

So no one wants to talk about Brown Trouts? Come on- someone besides me must have a Love Affair with them?

I never got a brown at SR either! usually we head up to Oak Orchard or 18 mile creek for them!  its only once a year for me because of the 8hr ride, but worth every minute!  I'm talin monster browns, my bigest was 15lb, just amazing fish.

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/22 16:58:10 (permalink)
    There seems to be more Browns in the SR the last couple of years.Not sure of the reason.

Historically the greater numbers appear in early November, but I guess alot of factors like weather and water flows play into the equation.

I recall fishing the Oswego River during the first week of November and spanking the browns bigtime. However, the last couple of years - not so much.

Guess that is why they call it fishing instead of catching.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/22 16:58:10 (permalink)
    the past 3 years havd been phonomenal for browns.  but they are never as plentiful as steelhead.  i've noticed in the past 20 years i've fished SR,  there are good years in a row, and then bad years in a row for browns.  now is a great time to get them in the lfz and upper, along with summer runs.  fish the flat water between pools behind the holding salmon.  but for prediction, and questions regarding why they are plentiful some years, i don't think many can answer.  I do know that aroiund five years ago they did some intensive brown stockings, but i think these browns were meant to be domesticated and not lake run.  so who knows...  SR is funny though.  i remember in the early 90's til the late 90's it was very common to catch lakers in the river from november to january. sometimes i'd go for steelies as late as january and have 10 fish hookup days all being lake trout.  and trust  me, it kinda sucked. they fight like a boot in the current.  i could always tell when it was a laker with in 3 seconds of fighting it.  but now, to be honest, i don't think i've even seen a laker in close to ten years in the river.  who knows...  but it is a nice pleasant surprise to get a brown in the salmon river. there are usually an ample amount of 10-16 lb. class taken each year.  good luck to all...

P.S.  Browns are attracted to white in october through op\ut their spawning season.  bel;ieve it or not, they are most attracted to their own spawn, or steelhead spawn.  hands dow, trout eeg sacks work the best on trout. theres just something about it.  good luck to all...
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/22 17:01:56 (permalink)
    yes, oswego can be spectacular for browns.  last year was not so good, but the year before they held behind the hotels until the beginning of february.  i don't prefer oswego though.  the walls take away alot of the naturality of fishing. plus, i'd rather hook steelies all day and maybe get a brown as a treat, rather than catching browns all day.  i'm an addict for silver steelies.  just can't beat the fight....
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/22 17:02:16 (permalink)
    I have caught alot of browns on a peaches & creme eggfly tied with McFly foam.

One reason I think the browns like white or light colored patterns is that the flies mimick chunks of rotting salmon flesh floating downstream in November.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/22 17:09:20 (permalink)
    I agree with you about Oswego asthetics - or lack thereof.

I steer clear of the wall or the dam.

Down under the railroad bridge or just above the Lock 7 area are my preferred places when I venture there - well after the hordes of wall chuckers are gone.

However, I'd much rather walk a natural trail on the SR.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/22 17:12:07 (permalink)
    yes, and the peaches and cream mimmick fertilized milky spawn.  for flesh you can tie dark yellow or tan rabbit for down a long shank hook and just swing it as if it were a wet, or high stick up stream with a strike indicator.  also, tannish yellow estaz wrapped down a long shank or on an egg hook works well too.  i find a no brainer set up is an egg sack with a bead pegged about 4-10 inches above the sack below a raven float.  it's a nice variety.  the light salmon colored or tan colored bead salmon egg size seems to work the best. good luck...
    norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/22 17:46:41 (permalink)
    I agree with the guys that say that it's a pleasant surprise! Nothing like swingin a big fly for the salmon and having a monster brown smack it!
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/22 18:02:09 (permalink)
    draketrutta? Is this chromedome? Welcome aboard & thanks for the input to you & everyone.
    I've never caught a Laker either. I hear they come into the Big O.
    So basically I need to get up there more. I've seen guys complain about catching too many Lakers & Sheeps Head (never caught one of those either), but I'd love it.

Lyrical
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/22 18:27:55 (permalink)
    I second the I'd love to catch lakers and sheepshead !!!!

www.2bonthewater.com
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/22 18:48:16 (permalink)
    sMal

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/22 19:06:12 (permalink)
    Here's my take--the BT fishing on the SR the last few yrs is the best that I can remember(been going for 20yrs).I think it's a combination of the "bubble" being off limits since 9/11,coupled w/ some early good salmon fishin on the east end.This allows more fish to stay in the system.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/22 19:18:21 (permalink)
    Ah yes float tubing the bubble. ****ed terrorists!
    I  say when you can't float the bubble the terrorists win.
    Again ****ed terrorists!
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/22 19:33:32 (permalink)
    What's the bubble? Is it the area around the nuke plant over yonder?
    You guys would know.

Slayer- I still need to get your shot. Busy times here. I'll get a 1/2 lb. bag when I can make the 1/2 hour run to Gander. I do have lots of flies tied for you though. Ordered some new colors of glo bug yarn. I think one is colored like BT roe if I remember right. I'll be sure to get a bunch tied up.
    Check out the flies thread & tell me what might work. Feel free to tell me what else I should have @ the ready.
    Take what you want if we actually get to fish this year.

Lyrical
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/22 19:34:01 (permalink)
    all good info and yes the days when the lakers used to run the river..
    so my thoughts, yes more browns but also smaller river fish.. Where did all those giant footballs go..
    I know some are still caught but nothing like days gone past.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Uncle Kevin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/22 19:38:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tippy-toe

sMal

Tippy,

You beat me to the post.  I was just about to look for this pic.

UK 

...just watch for the twitch and then bring on the thunder!
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/22 19:57:27 (permalink)
    It seems the bigger Steel became less common soon after the one a day in tribs. instead of three was passed. Any thoughts?
    I have seen pics. of two SR Browns that were 20 & 22 # if I remember correctly. The biggest I've seen with my eyes was about 28" & was caught in the DSR. I'd love to catch a 20# Brown or Steel, but who wouldn't?

Lyrical
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/22 20:00:57 (permalink)
    I'm on the SR now till thurs.The majority of the fish I hooked so far are browns,from 3 to 15 lbs,the big one is a estimate as it cut the line but I got a good look at it and it was a hookjaw.Flies are copper john,egg sucking leach,pheasant tail.Caught some Coho and Steel also,but only a couple kings.I'm fishing upstream.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/22 20:02:08 (permalink)

Lyrical
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/22 20:15:37 (permalink)
    my father got a ten pounder 2 weeks ago.  it was actually a classic football HT.  but i do agree, those footballs aren't as common as they used to be.  i know that middle stretch in the lower fly zone right below the church hole is always great this time of year for those classic footballs
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/22 20:17:36 (permalink)
    hard to beat the upper fly zone in late Nov.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/22 20:27:08 (permalink)
    hey tippy and uncle, i think i know you're spot.  a great tail out that i've got browns and steelies myself.  i can honestly say i've probably had my best days for salmon and steelhead in that hole. 
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/22 20:28:45 (permalink)
    There are some giant Browns in those waters...

silverman47
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/22 20:37:10 (permalink)
    Guaranteed there will be no less browns because of me, unless I catch 15lber.  Catch and release is the name of my game.  (did you say your steelhead was put down to 1  a day salmotruta, and size decreased or was it put up to 3 a day and size decreased)  Id like to see it personally put at 1 a day for steelies in PA that way everyone gets in on the fun.
    post edited by silverman47 - 2009/09/22 20:38:36
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/22 20:41:05 (permalink)

Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/22 20:53:30 (permalink)
    Years back we use to hook into a laker once in a while in Oswego too. Personally haven't seen it in many years. Season was closed so all had to be released.

I agree with Metal about the bubble on the lake. It's kind of a fish refuge out there now. 1000 yd preserve.

Stocking of less kings than they did years back may come into play also. Less predation possible.

The elimination of treble hook snagging. Lots of browns and steel were snagged as by catch. (If)/ When released, they were susceptible to infection and disease.

Could be a combination of all the theories posted on this thread. Whatever the reason, it's nice to have more in the rivers.

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    Sage4wt
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/22 23:40:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tippy-toe

There are some giant Browns in those waters...

I see you tied my massive brown trout record on the Salmon River.

DAS BOOT!
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: Salmon River Brown Trout 2009/09/23 08:08:28 (permalink)
    The bubble was out off the nuke plant.
    Back in the day you could carry a float tube through the info center and kick or paddle your way out to  it.

Even with the reduced king planting the forage base is not what it once was.
     In recent years I haven't caught any of the football browns shallow in the lake in the spring that already had 2 or 3 alwives sticking out of their mouths.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: