Fly tying kits/resources

Author
cooljauman
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1633
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/21 11:35:31 (permalink)

Fly tying kits/resources

I want to start tying flies.  I haven't started researching starter kits (or kits in general) yet because I would like some opinions on what kits you guys think I should purchase to get started (and continue to use years down the road).

I am open to any suggestions, and thank you in advance for helping me out.

If the world needed and enema, they'd put the tube in Philadelphia. Go Pens!

Evgeni Malkin: I'M SCORE

S.D.S.G.F.C.

12 Replies Related Threads

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Fly tying kits/resources 2009/09/21 11:44:29 (permalink)
    you'll get a different opinion from everyone...

skip the kit
    pick 6 flies you want to tie (elk hair caddis, wooly bugger, copper john, eggs, sucker spawn, clousers... whatever)
    think simple

goto a shop get a vise, tools, and the materials for those few flies
    look on the internet or books for some step-bys for those flies
    do it

you'll love it or hate it...
    those first patterns will help you learn

OR
    they pretty much provide everything and you get good instruction

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Fly tying kits/resources 2009/09/21 11:46:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: KJH807

you'll get a different opinion from everyone...

skip the kit
    pick 6 flies you want to tie (elk hair caddis, wooly bugger, copper john, eggs, sucker spawn, clousers... whatever)
    think simple

goto a shop get a vise, tools, and the materials for those few flies
    look on the internet or books for some step-bys for those flies
    do it

you'll love it or hate it...
    those first patterns will help you learn

OR
    they pretty much provide everything and you get good instruction

+1

The kits are generic  Usually won't have what you need....

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Fly tying kits/resources 2009/09/21 11:53:31 (permalink)
    +1 again to KJH, That's how I started out, and I'm glad I did. If you like tying, youll still end up with bags of material you dont use.

In addition to what Skip said, many kits provide the absolute lowest-grade materials you can find, which will increase your frustration and make resulting flies look uglier. You can only use so much bright blue hen hackle.
    norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Fly tying kits/resources 2009/09/21 11:55:04 (permalink)
    Instead of buying a full out kit, start out small. Get yourself a decent vise, and the staple of tools. Then start out by tying a specific pattern and just get the hooks and material needed for that pattern. As you start tying more patterns, your material selection will get bigger, and then you will have a room full of stuff like me lol!
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Fly tying kits/resources 2009/09/21 11:59:32 (permalink)
    If you would like PM Me your address and I'll send you some chenille to get you started on some wooly buggers.......  

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Fly tying kits/resources 2009/09/21 12:06:42 (permalink)
    Also, as far as tools, I'd start out with: vise, bobbin, scissors, whip-finisher.

You can add other things as you realize you'd like to have them.

Of course certain patterns will make certain tools a necessity (ex. if you want to start out tying elk hair caddis, you'll want a hair stacker as well).

In my very humble opinion, if I were you, I'd start out learning to tie sucker spawn and woolly buggers and go from there. They'll work good on trout and steelhead (I thing buggers work on everything that swims), and you'll be able to use them almost immediately, as the eggs will become more effective as fall progresses into winter.
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Fly tying kits/resources 2009/09/21 12:09:55 (permalink)
    Hey there CoolMan - Like KJ said you'll get a different opinion from just about everyone. Tying is something that can be as easy or as difficult as you want it to be but remember that it is not some kind of lost art that some think it is. There are patterns out there that can be very easy to tie with a few simple steps and than as I'm sure you know there are some that can be quite difficult. I think back when I started out and I know that the learning curve would have been cut alot shorter if I had someone to show me some things. I taught myself and there was alot of trial and error along with some frustration. If you know someone who ties, you may want to make an evening out of it and have them show you a little about it. Or like KJ said - take a course. At a local fly shop here it costs about $50.00 for a 4 hour course. As far as tools and materials go - if you find you really want to get into it try checking out E-BAY. I checked there and you can buy a starter set of tools, including a vise for about $50 and on another auction they have beginner material sets for about $30.00. These materials will tie quite a few different patterns. Or you can pick out a few patterns and ask here what materials are needed to tie them and then go and purchase them yourself. Also - there's alot of guys on here that are more than happy to help you out with just about anything related to tying. Just ask a question - doesn't matter what the topic is: from starting the thread on the hook to finishing off the fly - and we'll help ya out.
    post edited by steely34 - 2009/09/21 12:12:39

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

cooljauman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1633
    RE: Fly tying kits/resources 2009/09/21 12:26:30 (permalink)
    nice thanks alot everyone

let the shopping begin!

sucks that ill have to buy everything online tho.  I would much rather like to see what I am buying in person.  I moved to Baltimore, MD to start a new job and I can't seem to find any local shops or fishing stores anywhere besides Bass Pro Shops..

PM sent Skip... thank you

If the world needed and enema, they'd put the tube in Philadelphia. Go Pens!

Evgeni Malkin: I'M SCORE

S.D.S.G.F.C.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Fly tying kits/resources 2009/09/21 12:46:04 (permalink)
    bass pro shop fly tying stuff are way more expensive than most places and the quantity isn't what i expected when i used my gift certificate!

i would start with a fly tying tool kit with vise. the tools in there are mostly all you'll need for awhile and they're half decent for the money. when you graduate to more experience tying you can still use the tool kit pack for, well when you're out on the stream for a couple of days and need to whip somethging up. ~just my 2cents. 

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Fly tying kits/resources 2009/09/21 12:49:20 (permalink)
    Cool, sent PM
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Fly tying kits/resources 2009/09/21 15:50:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Skip16503

If you would like PM Me your address and I'll send you some chenille to get you started on some wooly buggers.......  

+100
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Fly tying kits/resources 2009/09/21 20:45:32 (permalink)
    cool at bass pro they have a squeeze type vice
    with a c-clamp that attaches to your table it cost me 35 dollars
    thee fricken best 35 bucks i ever spent it will hold just about any hook you will want to tie and hold it rock solid. just ask double taper i think he can atest to what i am saying

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    Jump to: