19th and 20th report!

Author
johnnyb
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 132
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/20 20:15:48 (permalink)

19th and 20th report!

I made it up there at 6am Sat morn. Had some more coffe and breakfast and hit the ballpark on the water at 6:45!
Nothing happening at all, didn't see anyone ookin up and no fish pushin through. Stayed till 9:30 after wondering around lookin for fish, it looked like a guys get together people just hangin and not fishin waiting for the run that never came??

Took off for the lower fly zone, talked to a few guys and the same thing nothing happening! wHAT THE????
went over to the school house pool, finally got a glimpse of a few fish doing their thing getin up river, a couple of guys were hookin up but few fish landed.

Sun; hit the DSR, was there at 5am,  Made my way up to the The glyde poked around a bit but no hook ups? well not for me anyway!  Back down river to the Sycamore Hole, had to fish the fast water because a group was dominating the hole! I tried like hell to hook something anything at all? but as my wife would say, "I had my fish repelent on" LOL

All in all I took great enjoyment in watching these powerfull fish muscle their way up stream Trying with every inch of their strength to run the water. Darting so close that I  could tell COho from King. Yes the Hoes seemed to be running.
Every fifteen minutes or so a small group would shoot through 3 or 4 at a clip.  After watching these beautifull creatures runing up stream and making their way through the onslaught of fisherman, I actually started to route for the fish!  catching fish is a bonus for me, being on the water and marveling at its beauty is what its all about.

Bring on November and the Steelhead!

4 Replies Related Threads

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: 19th and 20th report! 2009/09/21 05:23:56 (permalink)
    Pretty cool watching them shoot up in groups. That's usually how it goes for me too. No worries- it's all great.

Lyrical
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: 19th and 20th report! 2009/09/21 06:46:54 (permalink)
    Might try finding some pocket water where the cohos rested briefly before motoring on.
    OldSalt
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: 19th and 20th report! 2009/09/21 20:55:37 (permalink)
    That's right for sure.

The pocket water and the fast water is where you want to be fishing, especially this time of year, with the high water temps.

Kings and Cohos will be there, even in the most turbulent fast water you can find.

It takes a bit more of a learning curve to fish it, and don't get fooled that you need a lot of weight. Those fish will see anything and react very quickly in fast water.

Tight Lines,

OldSalt

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: 19th and 20th report! 2009/09/21 21:26:00 (permalink)
    i completely agree with old salt.  i fish the soft seems on the edge and in between joining pockets.  you'd be shocked at how many fish will hold in a ten, even as small as five foot seem.  you definitely have to know your water though.  but when fishing the turbulent holding water, sometimes you can be the lucky one whos hooking fish while everyone who's trying to spot them aren't hooking anything.  i prefer to fish where i can't see, because then i know they are there.  and you'd be surprised.  when you are seeing 2s and 3s shooting through, there are usually alot more.  good luck...
    Jump to: