Marabou Spey

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Marabou Spey 2009/09/23 09:18:53 (permalink)
+1 to KJH

When I was learning technique from a mentor, he always emphasized making a small, neat head to finish the fly. At first, I thought it was just for looks, but eventually, I realized that its generally a good habit to get into. On flies like this, a neat head will actually improve the performance of the fly, on smaller flies, you simply may not have the room for a larger head, and the ability and tendency of your tying small, neat heads will greatly improve your ties. Also, it taught me to trust the strength of 1-3 wraps of thread as sufficient to secure most materials.

That said, my heads aren't always as neat as I'd like them to be, but I always try to make them as neat as possible.

It also seems that the smaller, neater heads hold together much better on the stream.
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
RE: Marabou Spey 2009/09/23 09:43:10 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Cold

+1 to KJH

When I was learning technique from a mentor, he always emphasized making a small, neat head to finish the fly.

Ahhhh, yes, way back in your fly tying salad days.  Four months ago?  Six months ago?

Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Marabou Spey 2009/09/23 09:46:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: D-nymph

Ahhhh, yes, way back in your fly tying salad days.  Four months ago?  Six months ago?

Didn't mean to imply that I'd been tying for a long time, just that I'm no longer currently meeting with him to learn.

Sorry for the confusion. Still very much a rank amateur.
D-nymph
Pro Angler
RE: Marabou Spey 2009/09/23 10:06:21 (permalink)

Didn't mean to imply that I'd been tying for a long time, just that I'm no longer currently meeting with him to learn.

I'm just bustin' on ya.

Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Marabou Spey 2009/09/23 10:20:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: D-nymph

I'm just bustin' on ya.

For what its worth, though, I've been fly fishing & tying for over a year now. Ironically, I think my tying has improved dramatically, especially compared to my fishing. The flies look good, but they need someone competent on the other end of the line.
fishenfool46
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 1000
RE: Marabou Spey 2009/09/23 11:26:42 (permalink)
i have to disagree kjh the material is trapped againest the shank when tied in
i fail to see the difference. i see it as a neatness issue or a durability issue just my two cents
post edited by fishenfool46 - 2009/09/23 11:28:24

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
signed God
KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
RE: Marabou Spey 2009/09/23 11:37:22 (permalink)
with a swung marabou style fly these two flies will have different action based on how the heads are tied
(steely no offense... you fly looks great, just an example)

Plum Bob
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 575
RE: Marabou Spey 2009/09/23 11:38:47 (permalink)
For erie sthd a small, neat head makes for a nicer looking fly. as for fish appeal it doesn't make a friggen bit of difference what size the head is, within reason.  I tie just about every thing with Uni 8/0 thread, keeps the bulk down and heads nice and small.
post edited by Plum Bob - 2009/09/23 11:46:30
Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Marabou Spey 2009/09/23 11:55:08 (permalink)
ff46,

This is my take on it:

Imagine a streamer, dry in the vise. It has some marabou tied in the front and a long head which, even when dry, has the effect of sweeping the marabou back at about a 45-degree angle. When you get that thing wet and in any kind of current, those fibers are going to sweep back even farther, making a very swept, narrow body. Within that narrow body, there isnt much room for those fibers to move and "breathe", the key trigger in a spey style fly. The lack of motion is because the fibers' at-rest position isn't that far from it's swept position, so there's no spring-effect to get the fiber to pulse back out.

With a small, neat head, you aren't sweeping the dry fibers back. Check out KJH's fly. The edges of the marabou make a nearly 90-degree angle in their at-rest position. When wet and in current, the water will still be pulling the fibers nearly flush against the shank, but the fibers will be trying to spring back to their wide, at-rest position, and since it's farther out, it gives the fly more "pop".

Both ways will catch fish, but the smaller head, with the less swept-back look in the marabou, maximizes one of the key triggers of the fly. When more of the fiber is trapped under a bulky head, you're just robbing the material of that much action.

In a different style of fly...its the difference between adding a dot to your glo-bugs or not. Both will catch fish, but the dot just might give it that extra something to attract a picky fish.
D-nymph
Pro Angler
RE: Marabou Spey 2009/09/23 11:56:22 (permalink)
Both will catch fish, but the dot just might give it that extra something to attract a picky spey fisherman.

Agreed.
Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Marabou Spey 2009/09/23 12:04:28 (permalink)
I can see it now...swinger hitting the stop sign hole with a hot pink & chartreuse glo-bug...WITH a dot!
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
RE: Marabou Spey 2009/09/23 12:16:37 (permalink)
KJ - absolutely no offense taken. That's what this is all about -  teaching each other something we're familiar with. Cold - great explaination and it all makes sence to me. I should have been a bit more careful in my tying as I didn't really think about the effect the size of the head would make on the motion of the fly. Finally Swinger - thanks for bringing it to my attention. I know from tying the Classic Atlantic patterns - it's important for a small head although many times I fail to do it the way it should be. A neatly tied head does make a difference I think. SOOOOO, I had to go to the vise and tie some more to correct my mistakes. Here's my latest although the tag should be a bit shorter and the floss isn't tight up against the tag.  Did'n't see this until the picture came up on my screen. These dang cameras with their macro settings show every little flaw! Guess I'm just being too much of a perfectionist. Gotta get stronger tying glasses.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
RE: Marabou Spey 2009/09/23 12:21:28 (permalink)
what thread are you using?

i made a switch to sheer 14/0... haven't looked back

Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Marabou Spey 2009/09/23 12:21:42 (permalink)
Now that's a little too small...you're looking for...Megan Fox...not Kate Moss, not Pam Anderson...a happy medium...

Just messin', obviously. Great looking fly.
steely34
Pro Angler
RE: Marabou Spey 2009/09/23 12:30:05 (permalink)
KJ - used Wapsi’s UTC 70 Denier Ultra Thread. Didn't think of using sheer 14/0. Have to try it. And Cold - LOL!!!!! Good One! Kind of a hard choice there. Personally at my age of 54 I doubt if I could handle any of them!!!!

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

Loomis
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2674
RE: Marabou Spey 2009/09/23 15:41:35 (permalink)
give em hell old man
steely34
Pro Angler
RE: Marabou Spey 2009/09/23 15:55:55 (permalink)
Loomis - I got your old man!!!!!!    
Ya young pup ya

post edited by steely34 - 2009/09/23 15:58:51

John Gierach

Plum Bob
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 575
RE: Marabou Spey 2009/09/23 18:28:25 (permalink)
Steely 34, like your flies alot, definately look like erie fish catchers.

I have a cousin in eastern canada that ties atlantic salmon flies for part time income, mostly hair wings, buck bugs, and bombers. She is very good at it and has sold classics for up to $250  each.

I have tied with her, and a couple things she would suggest regarding your flies would
be:

1.  smaller oval tinsel tag, no more than 4 turns
2.  don't crowd the hook eye, head should end right at or just before the point where
     the eye starts to bend up.

Really like seeing all the flies posted here, would post some of my own but at present don't have a working digital camera.

steely34
Pro Angler
RE: Marabou Spey 2009/09/23 19:01:16 (permalink)
Plum - What I've found over the past couple of years is that tying the Classics is an entirely different type of tying. It didn't matter that I already had some years of tying under my belt since it takes a completely different level of skill and knowledge and one that I have a long way to go to master - if I ever will. Marrying wings, working with floss and all the other materials that can be hard to get - it's all a very long way from tying the Glo Bug. Tying these speys kind of reminds me a bit of that. I've read books and have seen ties of some of the classics(I'm sure we all have) that completely blow fly tying into a new dimension. These individuals are true artists as I'm sure your cousin is. Tell her thanks for the suggestions.

John Gierach

swinger
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1376
RE: Marabou Spey 2009/09/23 20:17:36 (permalink)
I think that it is very important to make a small head on your flies. Are all of my heads small? No. I let my mood dictate my flies. If I am tired or dont really want to do it, my flies suffer. If I am feeling it, they come out nice. Do I catch fish on my big heads? Sure. But when I am on the river looking for a player I will pick a small headed fly over a large one any day of the week. Not every fish in the run we are fishing will go after a swung fly. I like to tip the odds a little more in my favor by tossing them a fly that I tied as pretty as I can. Take pride in what you do. We are not force feeding the fish eggs or nymphs. We are not repeatedly bouncing sht off there noses. I can make a fish eat a bare hook with a split shot on it. We are not lining. We are presenting a fly above them, making them move to us. Not the other way around. When you are at the tying bench this is what you want to take into consideration. Shape and movement of the fly. You want your creation to take on a form of a tear drop when in the water. You want the current to gently sway the fibers in your fly. You also want to displace some water or not. You want to entice a reaction strike. In dirtier water the perfect fly is not really needed. You can get away with more in the dark. The fish cant see the fine details, they just see a silhouette. Clear water gives the steelhead more time to see your presentation. Another way to look at it is, it gives them more time to reject it. If more things are done correctly on your fly, I think it increases your chances in getting a grab. Notice I didnt mention color. I honestly think color is not that important. But it is fun for me to play with. Here is a pic of 1 of my boxes from last season. About 90% of those flies produced at least one fish for me last season. Give me 4 of them and I will catch just as many if not more this season. In conclusion do the best you can and always work to improve.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: