is this setup overkill

Author
tropheybuck
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/17 17:37:25 (permalink)

is this setup overkill

I have booked a trip for the end of month, and bought a Penn SV6000/PRS1220S80 http://www.pennfishingstore.com/penn-sv6000-prs1220s80-combo.html 
When I got this thing, it looks like overkill. I'm new to fishing salmon/steelhead, and since I'm relativley close to that area, I do plan on making this a, at least once a month trip this winter. I know it may be to much for steely this winter, in which I plan to buy a nice flyrod (8/9 lb).
Just wondering if I should invest on that flyrod now, to have something a little lighter. Or am I fine for next weekend with the Penn.
Thanks for ant response!

15 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: is this setup overkill 2009/09/17 19:30:36 (permalink)
    TB: their website sucks. I could find the sv6000 reel and from the specs and looks it seems like a good (don't know about the quality) reel for salmon. Way much for steelhead and something you plan on using very frequent. It's size and weight ..
    As for the rod, I could not find the S80 model (70 yes). I don't know from just looking at their site. Really to me the best way to buy any rod & reel is to be able to see,touch & hold it.

As for the fly rod:
    I would recommend fly fishing for Salmon. I used to spin fish them 20 some years ago but once I used a fly rod on them I would never go back. Not putting a spin fisher down at all but for salmon all my fishing is close and not deep making a fly rod the only choice.
    As for steelies, You can use the same fly rod & reel for steelhead as you do salmon so aside from the line it's a duel purpose rod.
    On thing to be wary :: When winter and below 32degs. sets in a fly rod becomes very tough and becomes a disadvantage over a spinng rod. (Icing and depth).
    During winter and steelhead in general I fish much different water, much slower & deeper. I will use a spinning rod (flies & bait) through out most of the winter but come spring (mid march) back out comes the 7wt. fly rod & streamers.

Hope this helps...

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: is this setup overkill 2009/09/17 21:21:26 (permalink)
    sounds like HT has the right idea.  steelhead are more of a finnesse.  salmon deserve tough equipment because they are a tough fish.  steelhead on the other hand, are very subtle, and deserve tender love and care.  they are the most magnificent fish out htere if you ask me.  in the cold winter months definitely use some lighter gear (noodle rods) and bobbers/floats.  i fly fished strictly for about 18/19 years, and now in winter months, and even late fall months i go light line with floats.  if you're looking to really target steelhead, there are some spring holes throughout the upper river where the steelies winterize and stage up where you don't get too  much line freeze up.  the advantage with spinning gear in winter is your fingers too.  you can wear full fingered gloves with spin gear.  it makes a big difference.  i was out one morning this past february where the temp was -15.  sure enough, the wire hole was holding fish and about 20 people were sharing the pool and hooking fish.  and believe or not, 2 cohoes were spawning in the head of a spring run off that day.  full of energy too.  you can't beat that.  it warmed up to 22 positive that day and it felt like a heat wave... but when march comes along... if you're a fly fisherman, start throwing those bigger stones and streamers, and sucker spawn latr on, and enjoy those big males on your direct drive fly rod.  but don't use your salmon gear you've explained on steelhead.  it won't work.  i honestly go down to 3 lb. test for those lothargic bastards, and you need a special rod to handle that class of line and that class of fish at the same time (up to 20+ class)... good luck, and no luck to anyone who's fishing this weekend because they are going to be running thick... fish on...
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: is this setup overkill 2009/09/17 21:40:33 (permalink)
    but i must add, in early february i have hit some magnificent silver bucks during the so called january thaw (which usually comes in early january) in the lower river.  and fly rod can be great weather permitting.  early winter and late fall can be phenomenal wherever whenever.  i advise that you approach it the way you feel most comfortable.  look at it this way, luckily you have this forum to result to.  you're bound to find your nich with the resources in this forum.  i decided that belonging to this forum is a positive thing.  whether i'm learning something or teaching someone something,  it's positive...  for every bit of info. that is given here, it's one less A-hole who's throwing over your line form the other side while you're hooking fish... hahahaha... fish on
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: is this setup overkill 2009/09/17 21:57:56 (permalink)
    Man thanks DB for sending everyone to DSR where we will be tomorrow and the weekend then say no luck to anyone... (LOL) kidding bro.
    You do offer good advice but I would only add that
    I get a kick out of light liners .. no need to ever go below 5X (4.9) frog hair mono . It's more about the dia. then the lb.
    Last season we fished 4X (6.2lb) & 3X (8.5) all winter and when those 800> 1,000 days (there were many) it was 2X(11.1) .
    Try not to get hung up on the lb. again focus on the dia. it will be much better on the fish to.
    Thicker line may have a lower lb test but a larger dia. meaning I may be using 8.5lb tippet that is really thinner then a 4lb. test leader ,less visible to the fish and stronger.

If you are fishing a float then your bait>fly would (should) be down stream or vertical in the water and the fish sould never even see the line.
    post edited by hot tuna - 2009/09/17 22:00:01

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Colonel Forbin
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: is this setup overkill 2009/09/17 22:47:50 (permalink)
    good info.  that's the main difference between quality line and budget line - you get the same poundage in a smaller diameter with more consistency throughout the length of the line when you buy quality.  I use cheap tippett (8-10-12 lb) for salmon and then a better quality line 6-8lb in the winter for steel. works for me.
    oldcanepole
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: is this setup overkill 2009/09/18 10:17:12 (permalink)
    Personally, I wouldn't try to fish steel with that rod on purtpose. You'll have to be reel careful because steelhead moths are so soft hooks rip through very easily. Not that you can't, but a longer 9-10' rod in -/7 weight is much more forgiving and easy on the fish.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: is this setup overkill 2009/09/18 11:41:08 (permalink)
    you are right, i rarely went under 6 lb. floro last year.  but if i'm not hooking fish all day, i will keep on going down.  it's just an old habit, and it works sometimes.  coincidence maybe...  it's been about 5 years since i've went down to 3.  but 4 is always in my pouch for those lothargic winter bastards.  come time march i go up to eight with the high water on the noodle, and if i'm swinging flies some guys even go 10 and 12.  i don't though.  8 is my cut off for steel...
    tropheybuck
    New Angler
    RE: is this setup overkill 2009/09/18 11:45:08 (permalink)
    That is why I really enjoy this site, anyone can get quick, good info.. Thanks to all who replied. I'm a little of an impulsive shopper when it comes to the outdoors. I will be looking at a 7/8 flyrod.  I'll wait until I get up there next week and hit Fat Nancy's for a good fly rig.  Thanks again!
    tropheybuck
    New Angler
    RE: is this setup overkill 2009/09/18 11:52:38 (permalink)
    Hot Tuna, that's is what I wanted in a fly rod, dual function!  An you are right, fly fishing is a total different experience.  My currunt fly rod is a 5/6, alittle too light for the salmon.  So, thanks and I'll be looking in that direction of fly rod-thanks again
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: is this setup overkill 2009/09/18 17:11:20 (permalink)
    7-8 is great for steelies.  i'd go for atleast 10 ft.  my fly rods for steelies range from 10 ft. -14ft. 3in.  some spots are great for two handed rods.  not only for swinging flies;  i do a lot of high stick nymphing and you can get a nice long drift with a long rod.  also benefits your landing ratio.  good luck...
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: is this setup overkill 2009/09/19 00:16:37 (permalink)
    Fat Nancys is fine but don't overlook All Seasons across the street or Whitakers.All Season is very price competitive,hit all three.If you don't mind the drive up to Altmar go to Melindas right at the bridge,very knowledgeable and stand behind their product.Several years ago a friend bought a rod there and no more than a hour latter he fell on it and snapped it.He went back to Melinda and said this is what happened and he wants to buy another rod,she said here's the rod"no charge",good people there.
    10pts
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: is this setup overkill 2009/09/19 14:37:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tropheybuck

I have booked a trip for the end of month, and bought a Penn SV6000/PRS1220S80 http://www.pennfishingstore.com/penn-sv6000-prs1220s80-combo.html 
    When I got this thing, it looks like overkill. I'm new to fishing salmon/steelhead, and since I'm relativley close to that area, I do plan on making this a, at least once a month trip this winter. I know it may be to much for steely this winter, in which I plan to buy a nice flyrod (8/9 lb).
    Just wondering if I should invest on that flyrod now, to have something a little lighter. Or am I fine for next weekend with the Penn.
    Thanks for ant response!
      I use Big Water Ugly Stik 8/9 wt  WFS flyline 25lb butt,swivel, 10 ft of 15lb seguar fluro with size 1 hadn tied fly with a few shots when needed  I don't consider that over kill for me  
    tropheybuck
    New Angler
    RE: is this setup overkill 2009/09/19 16:01:45 (permalink)
    Nothing wrong with a little friendly competition. I'll for sure check out those other shops, thanks.
    tropheybuck
    New Angler
    RE: is this setup overkill 2009/09/19 16:04:37 (permalink)
    Probably what I'll do, is get a new flyrod for steelhead. After hunting season, I'll have something to get me out of the house, until the spring time. Thanks for the reply!
    tropheybuck
    New Angler
    RE: is this setup overkill 2009/09/20 00:52:53 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply 10pts. The only thing about your response I did not really care for, was your profile picture-go Yankees!
    Jump to: