New to the site

Author
Colonel Forbin
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/16 21:01:07 (permalink)

New to the site

I’ve been lurking here and reading for a while now and decided to join the forums here.  Seems like some decent info and good fisherman around here and I look forward to contributing.  I was also recently the victim of some admins on another salmon site with the word crazy in it who love to flex their internet muscles.  Being accused of being a different person and banned after 3 years of membership for no apparent reason was a huge surprise …  and then being ignored when trying to get some resolution and an explanation for this was even harder to believe.  If you’re not in the “in” crowd over there it can be pretty brutal anyway.  I hope this place is a little more friendly and I look forward to contributing.    Forbin

11 Replies Related Threads

EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: New to the site 2009/09/17 00:53:31 (permalink)
    Colonel:  Where are you from?  The Mohawk Valley I see--- I am from Gloversville and wonder if you live anywhere nearby.  I also notice that you are a band director.....my wife is a music teacher.  I too lurk a lot here and don't post too often.  I'm not a real avid Salmon fisherman, primarily because it coincides with hunting season, but I do make a few trips over there each year and enjoy in immensely.
    cotsy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: New to the site 2009/09/17 09:37:41 (permalink)
    I have been on here for about a year now.  The people seem nice and helpful.  I don't post much but read posts often.  They give ideas and hints about the sport.  As to messing with hunting I am in the southern zone so I am ok with salmon since hunting to me is mid to late October.  I just don't go for salmon once hunting starts.  So enjoy it here and welcome
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: New to the site 2009/09/17 10:54:22 (permalink)
    Hey CF- Welcome aboard. Do I know you under another name? Don't sweat the small stuff- every site is different.
    I don't make the glue eggs, but I have all colors of the glue & a couple of guns.
    Someone put a thread up on the old board making a glue egg with glow in the dark thread wrapped on the hook shank before gluing. I got all of this stuff & tried unsuccessfully to make some. That box has been collecting dust for a few years now.

Lyrical
    tropheybuck
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: New to the site 2009/09/17 11:52:17 (permalink)
    Actually this is a nice site, I live somewhat close to Salmon River and I'm just starting off, and have read a lot of good tips. Of coarse if anyone wishes to share their great, secret, hot spot,I won't tell:)
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: New to the site 2009/09/17 12:22:38 (permalink)
    glue eggs are fun !!!  if you use clear glue--white looking--general glue stick........it turns creamy when you put it in water to hold the shape.......put colored thread wraps on the hook where the egg will go........you can get some cool effects.........the coolest looking eggs are when you are changing colors and they bleed into each other.........nice swirly effects.....cool.....I like the clearer color glues......but solid pinks and greens work also........

a rotary vise is a must.......I have a dan vise that I bought over 10 years ago........it is still kicking butt and I tie flies from size 26 midges to honker salmon flies........

I tied a few the other week for a swap..........I prepped over 100 ESL by placing the moe or glue head on the hook.....I tie them in stages.........get all the eggs on the hooks, then when the time feels right.....I tie up the bodies........

YO CF.......welcome aboard, plenty of great insight from guys who fish the river a lot........the forum gets silent every now and then......but as of late.....plenty of chatter................

also, the thread acts as a base for the glue to adhere to.............

www.2bonthewater.com
    flytwister
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: New to the site 2009/09/17 15:54:26 (permalink)
    welcome to the site I've also been a lurker. I wish I had more time and money to go more often, However the info I have gatherd over the years has helped make my few trips very productive. The best part is friends who go ask me for info on where to fish and think I know what I'm talking about and all I do is relay info.
    Colonel Forbin
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: New to the site 2009/09/17 17:15:01 (permalink)
    Eagle, I'm originally from the little village of Mohawk, but currently live in Richfield Springs.  Been a band director for 11 years now.  What area does your wife teach?  Vocal, Instrumental, General, all?  It's a tough gig, makes finding time to fish very difficult.  I usually have to settle for weekends, though I manage to find a week day or two during the season.

salmontrutta - It's certainly possible that you know me by a different name, but it certainly isn't the controversial Bosnian guy I was accused of being. Wild stuff there.  I thought he was hilarious until they decided I was him.  Glue eggs definitely take some practice, but with the number of flies you can go through in a day up there it's worth getting good at them because they simply work and save me some money.

2Bon - I love the idea of using the glue for ESL heads, definitely going to try that.  Prepping them in advance is a nice idea as well.  Thanks!

Thanks for the warm welcome.  Hoping to get up to the river this weekend but I think the wife may have other plans....ugh.

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: New to the site 2009/09/17 19:48:28 (permalink)
    I have a rotary. maybe I'll give them another try manana.
    I have all kinds of colors meant for eggs.
    This site def. has a library of knowledge if it be here, the old board or the tutorials set up by the site owners. They get into the diff. setups, river descriptions, etc.. I have been mostly a fly fisherman for quite a few years, but when it came to fishing up there I had to learn all over again.
    The guys that were here then (a few are still around) really helped me get my bearings.
    I don't really get the #'s I read about some places, but I catch a fish now and then.
    The water was the hardest for me to learn. I have mostly small waters at home.

Lyrical
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: New to the site 2009/09/17 21:25:37 (permalink)
    hey salmo, what are your home waters?
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: New to the site 2009/09/18 17:23:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dimebrite

hey salmo, what are your home waters?

I live in South Central PA. Wee Trout streams. There is the Susky, but I don't fish warm water.

Lyrical
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: New to the site 2009/09/19 00:28:42 (permalink)
    Salmo,you live in or near the best trout fishing in Pennsylvania,and a pretty area to boot.Lucky you.
    Jump to: