Polarized Glasses

Author
Hav2Fish
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 34
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/13 07:41:19 (permalink)

Polarized Glasses

I have been wearing the same pair of "Bill Dance", Strike King, 9.99 Walmart specials for years.  They cut down glare and help me see the bottom.  But I have been lusting after a pair of Costa Del Mar for a long time.  I just can't bring myself to put out the 129.99 (and that's the cheap pair).  Is there really that big of a difference? 
Can anyone share some personal experience and/or wisdom regarding the difference between 150.00 glasses and 9.99 glasses?
Thanks.

19 Replies Related Threads

jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Polarized Glasses 2009/09/13 09:42:13 (permalink)
    Keep your Bill Dance "specials" - I've used them for years with good success! Spend your savings on a good rod or reel!
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Polarized Glasses 2009/09/13 11:04:51 (permalink)
    I beat the crap out of sunglasses, to the point I always carry 2 or 3 pairs. I had a pair of the wally world's that worked great (at the bottom of some lake now). The best pair I have is an old pair of Babe Winkleman's that I picked up for a $1 at a yard sale. They have wrap around lenses so there is no spot without a polarized view plus they have a color lens that is hard to find that is great for murky water like streams and rivers can be sometimes. The high price glasses have an appeal but for the eventual beating they will take I got to stick with the cheapies.
                  Tight Lines Mates...Cheers

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    bjkaledas
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Polarized Glasses 2009/09/13 11:15:00 (permalink)
    I have the Strike King Wal-Mart specials as well. I really like the way the work/look/feel, but the shiny coating on the lenses always rubs off. Plus they get scratched easily. I also got another pair of Berkley's from Wal-Mart that are similar and I think they are constructed a little better. I can't find the Strike Kings that I bought there before either.
    Cohookhead
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: Polarized Glasses 2009/09/13 12:29:51 (permalink)
    Wisdom has the right idea, don't break the bank on glasses. The best ones are the ones with side glare protection and a brown or copper lens for stream fishing. Friends of mine have used the dark gray lenses and couldn't spot half the stuff I was seeing. Good luck, sounds like a push of coho going on as I type this.

Stress is just one hookset away from being gone.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Polarized Glasses 2009/09/13 13:18:56 (permalink)
    Ok I'll be the one to say, cheap glasses are no comparison to quality glasses. If you have ever worn them you would know. Plastic is no match for glass. Photochromatic are light-sensitive and grow lighter or darker as lighting conditions change. Some photochromic lenses will even react to changes in temperature as well as lighting variations making your underwater visibility much better.

As for color:
    Rose lenses are probably the best but least used . Rose effectively filter light and improve contrast (much like a `haze' filter on a camera). Many people consider rose-colored lenses to be the easiest on their eyes over a long period of time.

Second choice would be Amber.

Now with that said, If you are rough on gear or just want something to get by, cheepies are the way to go.
    If you want a serious sunglass that will open the whole underwater scene then buy quality lenses.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Cohookhead
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: Polarized Glasses 2009/09/13 14:29:00 (permalink)
    Ahhh it's nice to here Elton John is a SR fan!! LOL

Stress is just one hookset away from being gone.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Polarized Glasses 2009/09/13 16:35:00 (permalink)
    I wear good glasses- no contest. However I carry over from my skateboarding days & wear anarchy's. I got a pair of olive green ones to try about a year ago & they're the best glasses I've ever had for seeing in any kind of water. Before my fav. was brown.
    post edited by salmotrutta - 2009/09/13 16:37:25

Lyrical
    johnnyb
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: Polarized Glasses 2009/09/13 17:40:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Hav2Fish

I have been wearing the same pair of "Bill Dance", Strike King, 9.99 Walmart specials for years.  They cut down glare and help me see the bottom.  But I have been lusting after a pair of Costa Del Mar for a long time.  I just can't bring myself to put out the 129.99 (and that's the cheap pair).  Is there really that big of a difference? 
    Can anyone share some personal experience and/or wisdom regarding the difference between 150.00 glasses and 9.99 glasses?
    Thanks.

I own a pair of Costa Del Mar, mine are perscription (super Expensive)  Anyway they are probably the finest glasses I've had the pleasure of wearing! IMO, worth every penny and then some!
    Hav2Fish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Polarized Glasses 2009/09/13 20:17:27 (permalink)
    OK, so I tell my wife the guys on the discussion board say I need better fishing glasses.  She says "go buy them".  I tell her (and show her) how much they are and she said "Go buy them".  It's not like you won't get your money's worth."
    Now, I'm not sure who took my wife and dropped this nice lady at my home, but I just might have to go to Bass Pro on lunch break tomorrow and have a look.
    Not sure I can afford the glass lenses, so anyone think I'm ok with Costa Del Mar with their plastic lenses or is that a waste?
    Thanks again.
    Raab
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 417
    RE: Polarized Glasses 2009/09/13 20:25:55 (permalink)
    amber glass is best hands down...
    check out RayBans.
    johnnyb
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: Polarized Glasses 2009/09/13 20:26:29 (permalink)
    As hot tuna menitioned!  don"t waste the money on plastic lens!  Go for the glass!  You'll spend more now but appreciate it alot more later on!  Just my opinion! Good Luck
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Polarized Glasses 2009/09/13 20:41:54 (permalink)
    I'd go glass if you can swing it.
    post edited by hot tuna - 2009/09/13 20:45:03

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    OldSalt
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: Polarized Glasses 2009/09/13 22:24:05 (permalink)
    As other's have mentioned here, glass is the way to go. I have used both plastic and glass lenses. But gotta tell ya', after 8-10 hours on the water looking thru plastic, with your eyes being strained, your head feels like it's gonna fall off. Really makes you tired at the end of the day.

Not half as bad looking thru good glass optic's though, really worth the money if you can do it. I've seen some good deals out there for around 100.00 bucks or so. I use amber always, may try the rose coloredif I get a chance, though.

See ya on the River,

Tight Lines,

Old Salt
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: Polarized Glasses 2009/09/14 09:14:15 (permalink)
    Good glasses are worth the money...............i bought a pair of Ocean Waves about 12 years ago ......they were $140 at the time and 60% off because Jumbo / ALbany Sports was closing.

The difference is very noticable.....and they come with a lifetime warranty....i've had mine repaired / replaced by Ocean Waves about 10 times since then........i am tough on glasses!
    Gottumguide
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    Hobie polarized 2009/09/14 18:51:52 (permalink)

Drift boat guiding/chartering the Salmon River/Lake Ontario and since 1990.
    NYS guide lic # 1032
    www.salmonriverguide.com
    EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Hobie polarized 2009/09/15 08:21:39 (permalink)
    I wear glasses and hence have never worn or invested in expensive sunglasses.  The biggest factor that affects your ability to see into the water in my experience has been blocking out light from the sides of the glasses.  I use clip on sunglasses and purchase special "blinders" that slide (or clip) on the sides of my glasses (Fat Nancy's usually has some).  They improve underwater visibility 100%.  If you don't wear glasses, I would get sunglasses the have side protection from light.  It makes a huge difference.  I bought a pair of blinders made out of neoprene a few years ago and now have a pattern so that I can make my own out of old waders.  
    post edited by EagleCrg - 2009/09/15 08:23:12
    oldcanepole
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Hobie polarized 2009/09/15 22:24:56 (permalink)
    Oh great, now I need to drop a c note on sunglasses I been lyin to myself for a year that those pricey shades are just a gimmick Howm I gonn splain this one away???
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Hobie polarized 2009/09/16 06:29:49 (permalink)
     i wear native, and yes they are expensive, and to me, yes they are worth it.  i really don't sight fish, but i like cutting the glare off the water,  and let's face it,  when you're looking where to fish, it is helpful to see them moving.  i don't think expensive sun glasses are necessary, but i prefer them.  same for equipment,  i have sage and loomis rods. they are great, but i have some cheap 50 dollar specials that i can go down and hook just as many fish on. it's all a matter of what you like.  but a better rod and better glasses will not hook you more fish. being able to read water, being able to be diverse and change with the flow and mother nature will make you a better fishermen. and if you put your time in, you will hook you more fish
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Hobie polarized 2009/09/16 11:09:58 (permalink)
    Nice to see someone cut through all the BS and make sense in a short paragraph.  Nice job!

Eagle Ed
    ORIGINAL: dimebrite

i wear native, and yes they are expensive, and to me, yes they are worth it.  i really don't sight fish, but i like cutting the glare off the water,  and let's face it,  when you're looking where to fish, it is helpful to see them moving.  i don't think expensive sun glasses are necessary, but i prefer them.  same for equipment,  i have sage and loomis rods. they are great, but i have some cheap 50 dollar specials that i can go down and hook just as many fish on. it's all a matter of what you like.  but a better rod and better glasses will not hook you more fish. being able to read water, being able to be diverse and change with the flow and mother nature will make you a better fishermen. and if you put your time in, you will hook you more fish
    Jump to: