Fly Rod setup

Author
10pts
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 82
  • Reward points: 0
2007/08/23 17:56:58 (permalink)

Fly Rod setup

I just looked over the NY fish regs  booklet.. and boy am I confused..

I'll going  this year for the first time to SR..  I have fished  Erie,Pa. for many years for steelhead.   but they use  much light lines and tackle..

I have a 9 ft  9 wt system ..  weight foward floating line.    canm some one please email me on tackle and leader suggestions and regulations...  the DO''s and CAN NOT don'ts   what is a good hook size?   what is considered  lifting or snagging..   I've fished for Reds in Alaska  you feel a bumb and hook set  side ways..   is this legal in NY?   anyway  please fill me in....   thanks  10pts 

9 Replies Related Threads

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Fly Rod setup 2007/08/24 06:57:52 (permalink)
    10pts
        See the new regs thread.  This is so complex that most people can't understand it at all.  Basically, the way I see it you cannot lift or jerk the line on the retrieve.  You have to wait to visibly see, or feel a take.  Trying to discourage snaggers.  What it really will do is chase away honest fishermen,  I was planning a trip up but now I'm not so sure.  I'd hate to make the long trip to NY, pay for a NR license, rent a motel, hire a guide and then have to pay a fine because my technique doesn't match what some DNR guy thinks is proper.  Just a little too restrictive  in my opinion.  God help you if you would get an honest strike, have the hook pop out and foul hook another fish.  Wouldn't it have just been better to just say no flies over size 12 and be done with it.
    post edited by indsguiz - 2007/08/24 06:59:09

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Fly Rod setup 2007/08/24 13:23:01 (permalink)
    Just a little insight to the concerns about snagging/lifting.First off it is not necessary as the Salmon will hit if you fish for them.It may take some trial and error until you find the right fly/bait/lure/color of the day, but there is very seldom a day that they can't be caught if you have patience.The same methods that you use for stream fishing work on the SR,nothing magical about it it's just fishing.The main thing is to believe that the fish WILL HIT and keep fishing for them.
    If a person is trying to hook the fish by snagging/lifting it's not hard to spot.He will give a yank or lift on EVERY drift when he thinks the hook is among the fish.In low shallow water if the person,I won't use angler,sees the Salmon it is really apparant if he is trying to snag the fish because he will be yanking everytime the hook is next or near the fish no matter of the drift.If this is your intent you are attempting to snag/lift the fish and you deserve to be fined.If you are FISHING for the fish and only yanking when you think you get a hit the DEC is not going to bother you,providing you are using legal tackle as described in the regs.
    So if you're a fisherman/angler enjoying yourself trying to get a hit and fight the mighty KIng don't fret,if you're a snagger/lifter then prepare to pay or better yet stay home and watch TV.
    post edited by pafisher - 2007/08/24 13:25:28
    Fisherboy86
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: Fly Rod setup 2007/08/24 16:10:27 (permalink)
    If you guys fish for steelhead in Erie, fish the same way on the Salmon River. Use the same flies, same baits, just a little heavier line in some cases.

Guys still jerk their rods EVERY cast trying to snag these fish and don't get busted. If you fish ethically and legally, you have nothing to worry about. Go fish and have fun.

PM me before you come up and maybe we can fish the river for a few hours. There are already a few in, but I hope they are wearing their sunscreen.

Fisher
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Fly Rod setup 2007/08/24 19:18:13 (permalink)

Lyrical
    Foxfire
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Fly Rod setup 2007/08/25 10:17:56 (permalink)
    10 pts,

Fish with the same set up you were using in Alaska (assuming you were traditionally fly fishing). Most likely you will not have to worry about a hook set. On the SR, your leader set up can be no longer than 15' (from the butt section to end of tippet). If you add split shot to your rig, it can be no longer than 4' from your hook. For your 9 wt, I would use a 10' tapered leader set up.

As for flies, I go bigger than most, but flies from size 10 to size 4 seem to be the range. Watch out for the size of your hook gap if you use larger hooks. I am not sure of the size, but  there is a limit. Most likely the flies you used in Alaska will work on the SR.

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Fly Rod setup 2007/08/25 11:19:08 (permalink)
    10 pts,and all other newbies to the SR,there you go,come up,fish for the hit,and enjoy yourself.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Fly Rod setup 2007/08/26 13:40:30 (permalink)
    Guys,
         OK, what's the NY regulations on coffee can, black powder and a brick?   Fishing just like at home.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Beedhed
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Fly Rod setup 2007/08/26 18:22:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Foxfire

10 pts,

Fish with the same set up you were using in Alaska (assuming you were traditionally fly fishing). Most likely you will not have to worry about a hook set. On the SR, your leader set up can be no longer than 15' (from the butt section to end of tippet). If you add split shot to your rig, it can be no longer than 4' from your hook. For your 9 wt, I would use a 10' tapered leader set up.

As for flies, I go bigger than most, but flies from size 10 to size 4 seem to be the range. Watch out for the size of your hook gap if you use larger hooks. I am not sure of the size, but  there is a limit. Most likely the flies you used in Alaska will work on the SR.

1/2 inch hook gap on all hooks.Foxfire's explaination sums it up.If everyone is so worried about how they fish or preceived to be fishing then stay home....

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Fly Rod setup 2007/08/26 19:14:33 (permalink)
    somewhere someone asked about set ups for salmon fishing
    my first advice was to read (not browse) and understand the regulations
    now it's straight forward but really folks need to understand the regs and if they ask questions than i applaud them
    i am a fishing guide and today i read the regs book cover to cover again
    regulations for all fishing locations very greatly , so read the rules and if something is unclear than ask questions before you just go fish like you would on your home stream
    post edited by hot tuna - 2007/08/26 19:16:05

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Jump to: