Author
cpswing
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 150
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/12 19:47:56 (permalink)

new battenkill large arbor V in titanium

Fellow salmon chasers,

I have found a decent deal on a new battenkill LA V. If I am going to get it I need to do it in the next day or 2. What do you think? I'm getting nervous with season so close and want to have everything ready so I can leave on a moments notice.

32 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: new battenkill large arbor V in titanium 2009/08/12 19:55:27 (permalink)
    I use the mid-IV for salmon and they are a great reel.
    never used the LA but if as good as mid's then go for it.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: new battenkill large arbor V in titanium 2009/08/12 22:35:04 (permalink)
    I'd buy it. I have a mid arbor 3 & it's very nice for Big trout. I'm sure it would handle a Salmon.
    I use a Hardy Viscount LA for Salmons/Steel. It's a disc drag & handles all they can give... 

Lyrical
    johnnyb
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: new battenkill large arbor V in titanium 2009/08/13 10:39:33 (permalink)
    I own that same reel, use it with my 8 or 9wt rod!  I picked it up last year and its a great reel for the price!  but it and you will not be dissapointed, trust me!   pick up a spare spool and you can go up a weight or two if you desire.
    good luck
    cpswing
    Avid Angler
    RE: new battenkill large arbor V in titanium 2009/08/13 14:55:26 (permalink)
    Any preference on backing and line. Keep in mind that this will pretty much break the hatchery for the year lol.
    cpswing
    Avid Angler
    RE: new battenkill large arbor V in titanium 2009/08/13 21:28:20 (permalink)
    It's on the way. 5-7 days. then I head to cabelas for backing and line.
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: new battenkill large arbor V in titanium 2009/08/13 22:08:00 (permalink)
    micronite backing by cortland a lil pricey but you can put more on than standard backing as for line the cortland 444 dt seems sweet to me just put these items on my new 3 wt.ff46

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: new battenkill large arbor V in titanium 2009/08/13 22:21:52 (permalink)
    Cortland Precision Steelhead/Salmon taper. Been using it for almost two years and don't have any complaints with it.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: new battenkill large arbor V in titanium 2009/08/14 01:03:05 (permalink)
    I would support my local shop with the line & backing if it were me, but it's your choice. They also sell backing & fly lines here...

Great stuff you getting that reel! I know my mid 3 will fit my 8 nicely too. I am gonna fish it up there with an intermediate line on near a river/creek mouth on the lake if it isn't too cold & windy...

Lyrical
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: new battenkill large arbor V in titanium 2009/08/14 12:40:02 (permalink)
    I used to own a BK LA 4.  My buddy still have a BK LA 5.   They do not hold a lot of backing.   They are a good reel and hold up well is freezing temps.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    cpswing
    Avid Angler
    RE: new battenkill large arbor V in titanium 2009/08/14 17:48:53 (permalink)
    SAlmo,

Theres no local shop within 25 miles of me that I know of so its either gander dicks or cabelas. really cabelas is the only place that can do it. the guys at the local gander don't have any fly fishing guys just teens putting on line. leaning toward ff46's suggestion of micronite esp if what Silverkype says is true. thanks for all the help guys I appreciate it.

CP
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: new battenkill large arbor V in titanium 2009/08/14 19:19:50 (permalink)
    Yeah- I have 2 Ganders within 1/2 hour of me. They aren't real big in ff knowledge. I was just throwing the support your local shop thing. They're great to have around if (if you have one).
    Any backing works. I use 20 lb. & I couldn't tell you who made it.
    As far as lines I would go with a line designed for throwing heavy flies Such as a Salmon, Bass, Streamer taper. You want a good bit of weight on the front to help turn over big flies and/or the weight you add.
    I use Wulff Triangle Taper & cut the front thinner taper off until it suits me. Sometimes maybe 4 feet. It thins down on the front for delicate work, but that does not help turn big flies over.
    Also- if your reel doesn't hold enough backing hack 20 feet off of the back of the fly line. This will allow you to add much more backing. Not likely you'll ever cast that far. I had to do this with a LA reel I bought once.
    Hope this makes sense.

Lyrical
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: new battenkill large arbor V in titanium 2009/08/14 19:55:39 (permalink)
    The LA-V is rated for 250 yards of 30# backing using a 9wt line. Granted they over rate that but I never found a need for more then 150 yards 30# backing. Never! You'll be fine. If a fish goes 100 yards and I can not turn them or follow, then the fish won the battle. I'm using stout 12# tippet. For backing I use Cortland Micron 30# Orange.
    For Fly line:
    Salmon I use Cabelas Prestige Plus. it's cheap and Salmon will tear line up on rocks pretty good. Casts are short and presentations are weak, we swing flies on a short line.
    Come october I switch over to Cortland Precision Steelhead/Salmon taper , it's a great line. Our casts are much further and presentation is key.
    If you only plan on salmon fishing then go with the cabelas, If you want to duel purpose and cant buy both then buy Cortland.
    post edited by hot tuna - 2009/08/14 19:56:37

cpswing
    Avid Angler
    RE: new battenkill large arbor V in titanium 2009/08/15 11:55:00 (permalink)
    sounds good salmo and tuna. I am mainly setting this rig up for salmon. I have a good setup for steelies since I used to go to erie once or twice a year. I say used to because I'm a dad now and those trips just dont get made for awhile.lol I'm sure I'm not telling you all anything you dont already know.I'm just excited to get this real. hopefully it will add to my success rate this year which has been quite low, but I now have a full time jub and should be able to take a day here and there when a good report comes in. lol I cant wait
    Thanks for all of your help.

CP
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: new battenkill large arbor V in titanium 2009/08/15 17:07:04 (permalink)
    Being a dad does cut down the fishing time- esp. the multi day trips.

Tuna- good stuff. I didn't know they held so much. I had a Danielson & it held practically no backing. Notice (had).

I am going to fish the Erie thing with Loshwa this year. You going up? I'm still trying to figure out how it's gonna happen with work & $- but I'll be there.

Lyrical
    cpswing
    Avid Angler
    RE: new battenkill large arbor V in titanium 2009/08/16 00:37:43 (permalink)
    Erie is a great trip and can be done pretty cheap esp when a few guys go. The first time I went we stayed a a hampton inn. Didn't know there was a cleaning station at poor richards. I filleted the fish in the bathtub lol. looked like Freddy Cruger had spent the night there blood all over the shower curtains lol. We tipped the cleaning lady 25 bucks and left a note begging for help and promised not to do it again. LIte tippet is key I start with 6 flouro and work down to4. sucker spawn are great I aleays do good with peach for some reason and crystal meth. sometimes I tip em with a maggot. old guy told me about it and it does work. walnut and elk is where I have had my luck if water is high go down buy the lake where the stream empties.

CP
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: new battenkill large arbor V in titanium 2009/08/16 15:52:15 (permalink)
    Yeah- Sucker Spawn worked well on my one trip there. I was fishing very small. My biggest fish was on a streamer, but that was right @ the mouth of a stream.

Lyrical
    johnnyb
    Avid Angler
    RE: new battenkill large arbor V in titanium 2009/08/17 12:20:51 (permalink)
    No sense in wasting money on a good fly line!  I always cut the first 10ft of my floating line to get it down faster!
    after all I'm not dry fly fishing for these bruts, the faster its down in the zone the better.   just my opinion
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: new battenkill large arbor V in titanium 2009/08/17 16:05:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: salmotrutta

Yeah- Sucker Spawn worked well on my one trip there.

When you going to EryE?  LeTMe No.

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: new battenkill large arbor V in titanium 2009/08/17 16:17:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jrb327

No sense in wasting money on a good fly line!  I always cut the first 10ft of my floating line to get it down faster!
    after all I'm not dry fly fishing for these bruts, the faster its down in the zone the better.   just my opinion

I don't get what you're saying here. Please explain.

D- when I can.

Lyrical
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: new battenkill large arbor V in titanium 2009/08/17 16:21:08 (permalink)
    When you can, let me know.  If I can go I will.  Unless it's a "private party". 
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: new battenkill large arbor V in titanium 2009/08/17 17:50:31 (permalink)
    I need someone to show me around. I fished a trickle up there. I was down to size 18 SS sight fishing. I did get a nice hen on a streamer in a Gaspe' like pool.

Lyrical
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: new battenkill large arbor V in titanium 2009/08/17 19:14:36 (permalink)

D- when I can.

Yea that makes no sense, kinda contradicting. Why cut an expensive line and make it poor. Are you saying you are just using running line ? Thats fine but not the question as to a fly line to use.
    I use the cheaper WFF line due to having to replace it often on salmon , not because I "need" to get it down quicker. That can be done by proper mending,depth & fishing technique of a swinging fly. Most all my fish come up for the fly.

cpswing
    Avid Angler
    RE: new battenkill large arbor V in titanium 2009/08/17 23:22:50 (permalink)
    I got it in the mail today fellas. What a sweet looking piece of equipment. I have the boys lined up and we are heading to cabelas 6 am friday morning. I will be sure to take the info you folks supplied. Thanks to all of you for your advice. this is a great forum. keep the reports coming and I will let you know what I get.

CP

Salmo, stop at poor richards or B&M they will tell you where to go and how to get there.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: new battenkill large arbor V in titanium 2009/08/18 10:12:02 (permalink)

I need someone to show me around. I fished a trickle up there. I was down to size 18 SS sight fishing. I did get a nice hen on a streamer in a Gaspe' like pool.

That won't be a problem DuUD.  We can fish big or small.  November/December is the time.
    johnnyb
    Avid Angler
    RE: new battenkill large arbor V in titanium 2009/08/18 10:43:05 (permalink)

D- when I can.

Since the majority of lines are floating double-taper, I cut the first 10-12 ft off! This gives better delivery and better line management. I'm not looking for a delicate presentation, rather trying to get the fly down in the zone! Also the second part to this is tapering your leader abruptly so its gets down rather quickly!  I start using a 40lb 30 in but section next 12in of 20 lb, and then 36 to 48in of 10 lb tippet attached to a swivel and the another 24in of 10lb tippet to my fly, from the swivel I leave approx 4in of tag end to which I attach my split shot.  This system allows me to get the fly down and by keeping the split shot on the tag end I loose less flys. They just slide off when it gets snagged
    Also this is a great system for winter steelhead.  it works for for me!    Give it a try?  you can alter the length to fit   the water conditions.  
    johnnyb
    Avid Angler
    RE: new battenkill large arbor V in titanium 2009/08/18 10:57:43 (permalink)

Yea that makes no sense, kinda contradicting. Why cut an expensive line and make it poor. Are you saying you are just using running line ? Thats fine but not the question as to a fly line to use.
    I use the cheaper WFF line due to having to replace it often on salmon , not because I "need" to get it down quicker. That can be done by proper mending,depth & fishing technique of a swinging fly. Most all my fish come up for the fly.

Hey Tuna!  Nothing I ever do makes sense!  I read this awhile back in Fly Fishing and Tying Journal porbably three years ago. It made sense to me in that I'm not dryfly fishing! so why use a floating line?  Now I am by no means as good a fisherman as you, I have the passion just not the time.  LOL   The line I had was Rio Salmon/steelhead 8wt
    As soon as I tried that method I did notice Significant less drag which I assume was caused by the floating section?  Which was now gone!    Its a learning process for me I guess?  And I'm still learning!     LOL!
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: new battenkill large arbor V in titanium 2009/08/18 15:20:47 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: cpswing

SAlmo,

Theres no local shop within 25 miles of me that I know of so its either gander dicks or cabelas. really cabelas is the only place that can do it. the guys at the local gander don't have any fly fishing guys just teens putting on line. leaning toward ff46's suggestion of micronite esp if what Silverkype says is true. thanks for all the help guys I appreciate it.

CP

I was reading your question again.   The model I had was the old BK... they only came in gold and black.  Sounds like yer refering to the newer BK.   I don't know how they hold up in freezing temps.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: new battenkill large arbor V in titanium 2009/08/18 16:38:19 (permalink)
    You're right about the leader. A thinner mid & tippet section will get down faster. The thing about cutting taper off is what I don't get. If you want to do that why not just use running line? It's cheaper. I am not saying you're wrong, but the taper/head of the fly line is the weight that is built in to it to work with your rod for the cast & they aren't all the same. They also carry that momentum to turn your leader & fly over.
    You have tapers for dry, nymphing, streamers, etc..
    Try making a roll cast with a level line, then with a weight forward, or DT if you prefer. That taper does the work & will keep you from muscling the rod all day. My body is falling apart- I need all the help I can get....
    The drag you have a point on, but at most you need two small mends per cast. I mainly fish short, so it's one or less mends for me. I'm no distance caster & I don't try to be since it's not my game & will only lead to a sore arm & no fush...
    But hey- whatever works for you is cool. Lots of guys use the system you use up there. We just prefer to keep it more traditional. It works too- you just need to practice & have patience like everything else...

Lyrical
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: new battenkill large arbor V in titanium 2009/08/18 19:45:15 (permalink)
    The thing I don't understand is are you trying to sink your fly line ??? As in nymphing you high stick and keep your line just at the surface or above. When swinging a fly you float your line and swing your fly across & down. If you are trying to get your fly deeper then your leader & tippet will allow then use a sink tip which is thinner than the main fly line. I don't understand running line unless it's an icing issue and then I'll just throw spinning gear. By trying to sink the fly line means creating drag no matter how much you cut off the tapper and only way to compensate the drag is to add more weight. To me that is where many fail.. Even good folks with good intentions, but there are better ways with better results and (I'll duck here) less chance of foul hook ups.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: