float fishing

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
  • Reward points: 0
RE: float fishing 2009/08/11 00:23:34 (permalink)
Its a two piece extended cork handle with sliding rings....6 to 10lb rating

jimhalupka
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1058
RE: float fishing 2009/08/11 00:24:05 (permalink)
awesome.. yea I'll give it a whirl eventually

I believe Dru fishes with the rainshadow and I have used it... very nice blanks

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
RE: float fishing 2009/08/11 00:29:17 (permalink)
It feels nice, but I'd like to put it to the test...I also have a St. Croix Avid 13' that I used at season's end last year...nice rod, but seems to have more backbone than the Rainshadow.  I'm fairly new to the pin fishing thing and limit the use of it due to the amount of people fishing in Erie....however, I really want to try this out on the carp/catfish around home real soon.  For the amount of time I've spent pin fishing, I'm still way more comfortable with the spinning/noodle in my hands.

Carphead
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 284
RE: float fishing 2009/08/11 00:32:30 (permalink)
Good choice Paul. I heard from guys that fish rainshadows, that the 6-10 blanks fish more like other brands 4-8. So a 4-8 rainshadow(if they make one) might be a bit too whippy. I think you made a wise choice.

I used to not be real fond of sliding rings, but a lot of my pin reels get switched around to different rods, so a comfortable position varies. I now perfer sliding rings to a fixed reel seat for pinning.
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
RE: float fishing 2009/08/11 00:34:41 (permalink)
So when are we going pinning for carp?

Carphead
Expert Angler
RE: float fishing 2009/08/11 00:37:26 (permalink)
Man, you got the bug worse than me. Where you located at?
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
RE: float fishing 2009/08/11 00:38:03 (permalink)
Wampum...Ellwood City - and I'm ready 

Carphead
Expert Angler
RE: float fishing 2009/08/11 00:44:24 (permalink)
Alright drop me a PM and we'll have to try to iron out the details. Are you willing to fish a "dirty river" though? Thats where I like to target them.

I better hit the hay or I'll never get up for work and have to go fishin instead.
Stillhead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1887
RE: float fishing 2009/08/11 04:08:51 (permalink)
I find it all quite interesting, but overboard and just not necessary.  More often than not, I'm using the ice bobber style float with the tooth pick in one of the various sizes. Larger for heavier flow to hold more weight. I'll stagger my shot along the line  (almost always Blackbird size BB2 unless water is clear then I'll use smaller closer to the end) usually with the first shot about 10" to 15" from the hook.That last 10" will be a short piece of fluorocarbon perfection looped to my main line.  The closest split shot will be on the main line, split doesn't do well with ANY BRAND fluoro that I've tried.    I'll fish this rig with a drag free drift,  trying to keep my bait UPSTREAM of the float by just a hair. Sure their will be a slight downstream drag on the bait by the float, but not enough that the fish will notice.     With proper depth setting, the fish NEVER spook from the shot/line/float coming down ahead them, thas is all whooey if you ask me. They'll spook from something splashing on their head, but will let just about anything flow over top.  Now, if you are set too deep below the float, then the fish will spook before the bait gets their because your line and shot will hit them.

I disagree that "holding" back on the float to slow it down produces more strikes, and I also believe if your bait is traveling ahead of your float, then your float is made less sensitive to strikes. Any fish that passively takes the bait without moving with it, will have to hold the bait until your float then drifts by it and the float pulls the slack out before dunking.

Just my 2 cents, works for me just fine.
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
RE: float fishing 2009/08/11 10:00:09 (permalink)
I guess everyone has their own nitch which works for them and thats what its all about... As long as you're satisfied and comfortable with your methods and they work, I guess thats all that really matters.  I can't stand when folks come along with a method or style that they proclaim is gospel and the only way that will catch fish.  Sometimes I see people on the tribs fishing a certain way that confuses me, then I look over and they're landing a fish.  It just goes to show that we cannot be ignorant to only what goes on in our own little worlds, but to open our minds to what others find successful for them as well.  Thats how we learn, as long as we're willing. 
post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2009/08/11 10:01:30

Loomis
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2674
RE: float fishing 2009/08/11 10:07:56 (permalink)
Rainshadows are excellent blanks, especially the pin ones.  Iv'e built 3 so far for customers all have loved them.  I also built a St. Croix float road with excellent customer feedback as well.  Being a fly fisher myself, I must say they are my favorite rods to build and I wholeheartedly believe that the science and ergonomics that go into making a float rod are astounding....It's fun to do a consultation about float rods.  They are truly precision tools worth thier weight in gold!
papinner
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1083
RE: float fishing 2009/08/11 11:49:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Stillhead

I disagree that "holding" back on the float to slow it down produces more strikes, and I also believe if your bait is traveling ahead of your float, then your float is made less sensitive to strikes. Any fish that passively takes the bait without moving with it, will have to hold the bait until your float then drifts by it and the float pulls the slack out before dunking.

If you float is weighted correctly you can detect the smallest take also when the fish are hot hold back on the float and its almost like casting spoons in the lake. What I'm saying is you can actually feel the fish hit I had one last year almost rip the rod right out of my hand. So maybe you should give that a try sometime it can be a lot of fun.
dru2112
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2265
RE: float fishing 2009/08/11 18:54:56 (permalink)
i havent read a single reply on this thread but my approach is this:

low water (i really just leave the pin at home BUT if i have it) heavy shot up top to small on bottom

high water low shot near float gradually getting bigger near bait
jimhalupka
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1058
RE: float fishing 2009/08/11 19:51:25 (permalink)
what model is your rainshadow?

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
Stillhead
Pro Angler
RE: float fishing 2009/08/13 00:08:27 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: papinner

If you float is weighted correctly you can detect the smallest take also when the fish are hot hold back on the float and its almost like casting spoons in the lake. What I'm saying is you can actually feel the fish hit I had one last year almost rip the rod right out of my hand. So maybe you should give that a try sometime it can be a lot of fun.

Yes, I've already tried it.  I didn't say it isn't fun, or that it doesn't work.  I just don't believe it's the MOST effective presentation and you can and will get strikes that won't be detected.  
Carphead
Expert Angler
RE: float fishing 2009/08/13 07:45:02 (permalink)

Yes, I've already tried it.  I didn't say it isn't fun, or that it doesn't work.  I just don't believe it's the MOST effective presentation and you can and will get strikes that won't be detected.  

No method is the most effective. Float fishing takes time, effort, and experience to get good at (just like anything). You can't expect to excel at it by just throwing some shot under anything that floats and letting it drift, its much more involved than that. And fishing in a bathtub 4months a year like that ain't gonna cut it. 

One also needs to learn how to detect strikes that don't just pull your float under. Obviously sometimes its just a very faint pause, or even the float rising slightly in the water.
Stillhead
Pro Angler
RE: float fishing 2009/08/13 08:37:00 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Carphead

No method is the most effective. Float fishing takes time, effort, and experience to get good at (just like anything). You can't expect to excel at it by just throwing some shot under anything that floats and letting it drift, its much more involved than that. And fishing in a bathtub 4months a year like that ain't gonna cut it. 

One also needs to learn how to detect strikes that don't just pull your float under. Obviously sometimes its just a very faint pause, or even the float rising slightly in the water.

I'll agree that no method is most effective "all the time".  But there are certainly methods that are most effective for each situation, and they can change in a matter of 10 feet up or downstream.  

I understand there are ways to detect strikes that just don't pull your float under, still doesn't mean that every strike is detectable.   It doesn't matter how well your floated is loaded with shot, if holding back on the float (I believe this is called "trotting" but I could be mistaken) so your bait is drifting downstream ahead of it, and a fish simply inhales it, your float isn't going to do anything until your line/weight drifts downstream below the fish.  The only exception to that would be if your bait is large enough/heavy enough that when the fish takes the float will rise in the water. But on such a subtle movement you'd really have to know the drift you are fishing to be sure about water depth and whether or not the bait just brush the bottom, or if a fish had taken.

I'm not saying this is a huge problem, I'm just saying there is a flaw in the method, it ain't perfect and I prefer to do things differently.

I've trout fished since I was old enough to hold a fishing rod, and in my opinion a natural presentation is best, and I don't think slowing the bait down is natural. It's been argued that slowing it down gives the fish more time to see the bait.  That might work on some fish, but in my experience the less time the fish has to react to the bait, the more likely they are to bite it because they have to react and get it now while they can.   Part of the reason the are so easy in faster flowing water. And why a large portion of PA fisherman do so well when the water is up and green, and not so well when it's slow.

I completely disagree that "fishing in a bathtub ain't gonna cut it".   To be honest, if you spend enough time throughout the year in our "Bathtubs",  you'll probably fish a larger variety of different conditions than you will anywhere, and will have the oppurtunity to learn just about every possible way to catch these fish that exists.

post edited by Stillhead - 2009/08/13 08:40:42
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
RE: float fishing 2009/08/13 09:39:52 (permalink)
In short, I believe that the longer you can keep your presentation presentable where the fish are holding, the better your chances are in getting them to strike.  Fish above the hole....works for me

Carphead
Expert Angler
RE: float fishing 2009/08/13 12:47:29 (permalink)
Stillhead, I was under the assumption that you were talking about float fishing in general so thats what my last post was about, not trotting.

To trot your line properly, you should be directly above the presentation your trotting not to the side. If done right it is very easy to tell if a fish has taken your presentation. After all, YOU are controlling most everything, not the water. No need to worry about hanging up for the most part, because the bait is coming up off the bottom everytime its held back. I am however not a big fan of trotting, because like you had stated, its not really natural. I will however trot certain presentations depending on what I'm using and I always hold back on the float at the very end of the drift........have caught lots of fish that way.

Back to the bathtubs............Now I disagree because to be honest there are lots of places in pennsylvania and surrounding states that change all year round. They are mock steelhead, just a fish a bit bigger than your run of the mill stockies. If you know how to catch pelletheads, or have ever fished in more than one area, or time of year, you should be able to adapt to the changes of the tribs. Before I get crucified, I have nothing against steelhead. I love to fish for em as much as the next guy, but these are just my thoughts. Come on man, they are steelhead, theres gotta be 30 fish I can name of the top of my head that are found in PA that are harder to figure out or pattern.
I know a place that holds a good bit of smallmouth buffalo and river carpsuckers......figure them out and catch them regardless of the conditions consistently, and I will bow to that person.
Stillhead
Pro Angler
RE: float fishing 2009/08/13 14:20:22 (permalink)

Back to the bathtubs............Now I disagree because to be honest there are lots of places in pennsylvania and surrounding states that change all year round. They are mock steelhead, just a fish a bit bigger than your run of the mill stockies. If you know how to catch pelletheads, or have ever fished in more than one area, or time of year, you should be able to adapt to the changes of the tribs. Before I get crucified, I have nothing against steelhead. I love to fish for em as much as the next guy, but these are just my thoughts. Come on man, they are steelhead, theres gotta be 30 fish I can name of the top of my head that are found in PA that are harder to figure out or pattern.
I know a place that holds a good bit of smallmouth buffalo and river carpsuckers......figure them out and catch them regardless of the conditions consistently, and I will bow to that person.

When I said "you'll probably fish a larger variety of different conditions than you will anywhere, and will have the oppurtunity to learn just about every possible way to catch these fish that exists. "

I was refering to every possible way to catch steelhead.  I wasn't comparing them to any other species of fish, or type of fishing.  What I meant was, in PA's bathtubs, at some point during the year there is oppurtunity to fish for them in the lowest,slowest stagnant water, to extremely high, rushing water. And in both these conditions at optimal water temperatures, and frigid temps. To even ice fishing.  I've seen days when fishing dry flies, either floating dry,skated, or twitched just under the surface was, ON THAT DAY, the BEST way to catch them. We've all seen lots of days when eggs under a bobber,float/strike indicator was the BEST way to catch them.There are days when stripping a streamer or swimming a jig (without a bobber) was the BEST way to catch them.  Our streams are too small for drift boats and back trolling, but I've had fairly good luck at times slowly dropping a hot shot or flat fish back through a hole much like you'd do from a drift boat.  On some days there are places where you can fish these techniques with great success all on the same day just by jumping from spot to spot.  There are a few places I can think of, under decent flow, where bottom bouncing without a float was the only way to reach a pod of fish  (sure there were hundreds just a few feet downstream to beat on, but I wanted those fish hiding under that ledge, just because).  What PA's bathtubs have that many of the big rivers don't, is the oppurtunity to sight fish and watch the fishes reaction, watch them chase something down and hammer it. I understand that's not everyone's idea of fishing (I have no idea why). I think it's awesome. I enjoy catching them any way, but I'd much rather watch them attack something, than watch a bobber dunk. 

I don't think there are lots of places around like PA's bathtubs, or at least not like Lake erie's bathtubs. They offer a very wide range of conditions from their lowest flow to their highest flow. The big rivers that some are so proud they caught a fish in, are pretty much always big, they just go from big to bigger.  Never offering you the oppurtunity to finesse fish.

SO, what my point was, that you can learn plenty by fishing in PA's bathtubs. Whether or not people choose to try  to learn is up to them.

"Before I get crucified, I have nothing against steelhead. I love to fish for em as much as the next guy, but these are just my thoughts. Come on man, they are steelhead, theres gotta be 30 fish I can name of the top of my head that are found in PA that are harder to figure out or pattern. "

I completely agree, that was pretty much what I said in my first post.    They are simple to catch, and most of the time, the fancy floats, and 20 different sized split, and holding back on the float and letting it drift for 20 miles down stream, that isn't needed.  

Carphead
Expert Angler
RE: float fishing 2009/08/13 16:54:11 (permalink)

When I said "you'll probably fish a larger variety of different conditions than you will anywhere, and will have the oppurtunity to learn just about every possible way to catch these fish that exists. "

I was refering to every possible way to catch steelhead.  I wasn't comparing them to any other species of fish, or type of fishing.  What I meant was, in PA's bathtubs, at some point during the year there is oppurtunity to fish for them in the lowest,slowest stagnant water, to extremely high, rushing water. And in both these conditions at optimal water temperatures, and frigid temps. To even ice fishing.  I've seen days when fishing dry flies, either floating dry,skated, or twitched just under the surface was, ON THAT DAY, the BEST way to catch them. We've all seen lots of days when eggs under a bobber,float/strike indicator was the BEST way to catch them.There are days when stripping a streamer or swimming a jig (without a bobber) was the BEST way to catch them.  Our streams are too small for drift boats and back trolling, but I've had fairly good luck at times slowly dropping a hot shot or flat fish back through a hole much like you'd do from a drift boat.  On some days there are places where you can fish these techniques with great success all on the same day just by jumping from spot to spot.  There are a few places I can think of, under decent flow, where bottom bouncing without a float was the only way to reach a pod of fish  (sure there were hundreds just a few feet downstream to beat on, but I wanted those fish hiding under that ledge, just because).  What PA's bathtubs have that many of the big rivers don't, is the oppurtunity to sight fish and watch the fishes reaction, watch them chase something down and hammer it. I understand that's not everyone's idea of fishing (I have no idea why). I think it's awesome. I enjoy catching them any way, but I'd much rather watch them attack something, than watch a bobber dunk. 

I don't think there are lots of places around like PA's bathtubs, or at least not like Lake erie's bathtubs. They offer a very wide range of conditions from their lowest flow to their highest flow. The big rivers that some are so proud they caught a fish in, are pretty much always big, they just go from big to bigger.  Never offering you the oppurtunity to finesse fish.

SO, what my point was, that you can learn plenty by fishing in PA's bathtubs. Whether or not people choose to try  to learn is up to them.

"Before I get crucified, I have nothing against steelhead. I love to fish for em as much as the next guy, but these are just my thoughts. Come on man, they are steelhead, theres gotta be 30 fish I can name of the top of my head that are found in PA that are harder to figure out or pattern. "

I completely agree, that was pretty much what I said in my first post.    They are simple to catch, and most of the time, the fancy floats, and 20 different sized split, and holding back on the float and letting it drift for 20 miles down stream, that isn't needed.  

Stillhead, I knew you were refering to just steelhead. As far as rivers go, there are plenty of times you need to finesse fish. I've watched plenty of guys on the big rivers chuck the same old jig and curly tail, or minnow and not catch many fish. Gone to these same spots and fished them in ways a lot of people might consider unorthodox or useless in such big waters and nailed them. Just because the rivers are full of different types of fish dosen't mean you are always going to find them in the same spots or catch them in the same mannner. When the rivers are high and muddy, or low and slow, there is always the better way and the not-so-better way. River fish also have a tendency to cue in on certain feed, and just like any fish, if you don't make an effort to mimmic or match it, you won't be nearly as successful. I've seen times where only a 2-3" plastic would catch fish after throwing numerous other offerings thier way. Finesse fishing certainly does work in the rivers.

The point of bringing up other fish was simply this: If you can go out and figure out some of the harder fish found in PA, you will certainly have no problem with Steelhead. After all there aren't too many other places you can find that many fish stacked in one spot. Sucker runs maybe.

I don't like to pin for steelhead much to begin with, but in my experience if done right you can catch just as many fish with the pinning method as you can any other way. You can even pin with a rooster tail if ya want (under a float). I perfer to pin bigger waters where there are less people, for other fish besides steel. As far as the ledge you mentioned, any pinner worth his salt could have worked that run too.

Like I said before, its not as simple as shotting your line and chucking something out there. There are coutless techniques and presentations to use under any and all conditions. Some when used in the wrong manner or at the wrong time are counterproductive.........its not a one size fits all deal.
Stillhead
Pro Angler
RE: float fishing 2009/08/13 21:15:20 (permalink)
I understand.  Like I said, my original posts were thinking towards steelhead fishing in our tribs.  The only thing I really disagree with is your statement that "fishing in a bathtub 4 months a year won't cut it".  I took that to mean that you couldn't learn anything doing that, maybe I was mistaken.  I believe you can if you pay attention and try.  On the other hand, you definitely can fish them when the water flow is perfect and the streams are full of fresh dumbies, catch fish all day until your arms fall off, and come away having learned nothing, other than how to catch fish when  a monkey could do it.
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4528
RE: float fishing 2009/08/14 01:12:25 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

I guess everyone has their own nitch which works for them and thats what its all about... As long as you're satisfied and comfortable with your methods and they work, I guess thats all that really matters.  I can't stand when folks come along with a method or style that they proclaim is gospel and the only way that will catch fish.  Sometimes I see people on the tribs fishing a certain way that confuses me, then I look over and they're landing a fish.  It just goes to show that we cannot be ignorant to only what goes on in our own little worlds, but to open our minds to what others find successful for them as well.  Thats how we learn, as long as we're willing. 

Truest words I've seen in a long time. I firmly believe, and say all the time "fish with what your confident with...it'll work". I believe that with all species.
I'll say it one more time.......

Y'all are givin' em ( da fish ) too much credit.....they're fish. Blue powerbait, spoons, minnows, pink yarn.......THEY'RE FISH! They will eat a camel butt on the right day. If ya really need to feel like ya tricked somethin'.....keep lyin' to the old lady 'bout how much your rig costs.

Thats my last weigh in on this thread. No dissrespect to anyone.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: