Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Blowchowski
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 577
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/08 09:45:39 (permalink)

Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight

Anyone know what happened last night in Conneaut?  The coasties were out on the west wall, the city brought out their air boat, and life flight flew in and out.  It was around 10PM.

31 Replies Related Threads

Raab
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 417
    RE: Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight 2009/08/08 13:32:58 (permalink)
    nope...
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight 2009/08/08 14:22:56 (permalink)
    I hope it didn't happen, but maybe someone smacked the break wall again...It happens atleast once a summer to someone...

Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    RE: Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight 2009/08/08 14:35:35 (permalink)
    Just got back from rubbernecking.  (unconfirmed)Four or Five people, Two adults, one 10ish year old, and a four month old in a car seat...? 21' LUND 275HP Verado.   Came in from the northwest, well south of the lighthouse, looks like he might have saw the wall at the last minute, and made a hard turn to the north.  Completely out of the water, keel below the bow smashed.  Its sitting parrallel to the water.  Two life flighted, 10ish year old hurt leg, baby OK.....If I only knew how to post pictures....
    post edited by Blowchowski - 2009/08/08 14:36:04
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    RE: Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight 2009/08/08 14:51:44 (permalink)
    Man I hope everyone is ok...that's too bad...I was there yesteday (Left at 6pm) and this morning (6am) and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary...I did see the towing boat when we came in, but thought maybe someone was just getting a tow???  I don't know what else they can do to make it more visible...I mean there is a huge lighthouse and a green blinker??? Just keep it between the two...I guess they could put marker lights on top of the breakwall every 500ft or so?   Someone smacked it last year to and they were thrown from the boat...Luckily the worst that happened was someone broke their arm....

Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    RE: Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight 2009/08/08 15:32:25 (permalink)
    Barge just pulled it off the wall...
    bluntman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight 2009/08/08 16:39:49 (permalink)
    Breakwall Collision Sends Family To Hospital

POSTED: 2:24 pm EDT August 8, 2009
    UPDATED: 3:10 pm EDT August 8, 2009

CLEVELAND -- The U.S. Coast Guard Station Ashtabula assisted the Conneaut Fire Department with the rescue of a male owner-operator and four passengers from a 21-foot personal craft after it collided with the Conneaut west breakwall approximately 500 yards offshore Conneaut Friday at approximately 9:45 p.m.
    A Station Ashtabula 33-foot Special Purpose Craft-Law Enforcement transported the man to shore safely for awaiting Emergency Medical Services, while a Conneaut fire airboat rescued a 3-year-old passenger with two broken legs.
    A lifeflight helicopter took the man to St. Elizabeth's Hospital in Youngstown, and lifeflight delivered a three-year-old passenger to Rainbow Babies and Children Hospital in Cleveland.
    A Conneaut Fire Department marine unit arrived on scene initially before the station and rescued an adult and three children passengers, ages three, six and seven.
    The two other children sustained various injuries, and lifeflight took them to a hospital in Conneaut.
    The Coast Guard worked closely with the Conneaut Fire Department to provide swift and safe help for the five people on board.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight 2009/08/10 10:42:09 (permalink)
    Wow, hate to see stuff like that and I hope everyone recovers fully. At 9:45 pm, wouldn't be much light would there? I see people flying after dark and always think it's an accident waiting to happen. Even on the few occaisions I've been out on the lake at dark I never run fast, you just don't know what could be there, might even be some bozo trolling with all the lights off. Safety first!
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight 2009/08/10 11:34:30 (permalink)
    Gotta agree with ya Bull. We always take it REAL easy after dark. After dark, passengers turn into spotters, as many as are on the boat.

I've seen guys runnin' 40 in the dark. Hearing about injured children hopefully will slow some people down.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    RE: Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight 2009/08/10 11:51:58 (permalink)
    Yes, I agree.....Slow down and take your time...Now there was someone that went out feeshin yesterday in broad daylight in a 16ft boat in 5-7ft waves......Capsized.....No excuses for that....That is just plain stupid.....When you see the 27ft and 28ft charter boats sitting at the dock cuz it's to rough....You might have a problem....That's the problem with the heavy southerly winds...Looks fishable from shore, once your out 3 or 4 miles, it turns into a totally different lake....
    post edited by BIGSLICK - 2009/08/10 11:53:25

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight 2009/08/10 12:52:35 (permalink)
    "16ft boat in 5-7ft waves"

Ya, that's about as nutz as it gets. I've seen some SMALL boats out in rough stuff before and always kept an eye on them just in case. Pretty sad that some of us take away from our enjoyment to watch out for someone who doesn't care for their own safety.

Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight 2009/08/10 12:52:52 (permalink)
    Even once you clear the point it's a different lake.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    bluntman
    Expert Angler
    RE: Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight 2009/08/10 18:10:01 (permalink)
    POSTED: 2:55 pm EDT August 10, 2009
    UPDATED: 3:14 pm EDT August 10, 2009

CONNEAUT, Ohio -- A boat that crashed into a break wall over the weekend was likely due to operator error, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.
    Jim Perebzak, of Wadsworth, is believed to have put in the wrong coordinates in the GPS.
    The boat was going about 35 mph. Perebzak suffered severe facial injuries.
    His sons, who are 6 and 7, are at home.
    His 3-year-old son remains in the hospital.

Error using GPS system blamed for Conneaut boating accident
    Posted by June Q. Wu August 10, 2009 10:36AM
    Categories: Real Time News
    CONNEAUT -- A boating accident that left five people injured outside Conneaut Friday night was caused by a navigation error, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.
    Jim Perebzak of Wadsworth, owner and operator of the boat, plugged the wrong coordinates into the GPS navigation system and left the boat on autopilot, said Jim Gorman, an investigator for the state Division of Watercraft.

The 21-foot boat was estimated to be traveling between 30 and 40 mph at the time it crashed into the west breakwall. It missed the harbor by approximately half a mile, Gorman said.
    "We haven't gotten a chance to talk to the operator, but he probably forgot the breakwall was there," Gorman said. "It's a common thing people forget, since GPS systems don't take into account things like breakwalls and piers."
    The Coast Guard said the harbor lighthouse and all navigation lights were working properly that night.
    Perebzak was pulled from the debris approximately 30 minutes after the accident. He suffered face and possibly neck and chest injuries, Gorman said. Perebzak is in Akron General Hospital.

His two sons, ages 6 and 7, suffered minor cuts and scrapes and were treated, then released from a hospital in Conneaut Friday night.
    Perebzak and his sons were returning from a fishing trip on Lake Erie with his coworker, Richard Bell of Salem and Bell's 3-year old son. Bell, who had a cut on one leg, was also released that from the hospital that evening.
    Bell's son broke both his legs and was flown to Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital in Cleveland for treatment.
    All five passengers on the boat were wearing life jackets, which likely helped cushion the impact of the collision, Gorman said.  
    post edited by bluntman - 2009/08/10 18:14:39
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight 2009/08/10 18:26:25 (permalink)
    Read somewhere he had it on auto pilot. 
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    RE: Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight 2009/08/10 18:44:51 (permalink)
    Who puts it in autopilot, in the dark, going 35mph, when you are not sure where you are going?????    Wow......

Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight 2009/08/10 19:00:47 (permalink)
    Right Slick! I don't think the auto-pilot would know to go around an anchored boat either! Man, we all do stupid things, but going that fast at night without paying the utmost attention is nuts. With 3 little kid's on the boat also.

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    RE: Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight 2009/08/10 19:14:55 (permalink)
    Here is the news report from Yesterday's Capsizing.................

Four people were rescued, one of them by a good Samaritan, after their boat capsized Sunday in Lake Erie. "They all showed signs of hypothermia," said Petty Officer William Campbell of the U.S. Coast Guard station at Presque Isle State Park. The three men and a woman were all taken to Hamot Medical Center for treatment, Campbell said.
    He said the foursome had launched a 17-foot boat from the foot of East Avenue on Sunday morning to go fishing. The boat was northeast of Presque Isle's Gull Point and between 3 and 4 miles from the shoreline when the vessel overturned in about 50 feet of water, Campbell said.
    It wasn't immediately known why the boat capsized, although the coast guardsman said there were 5-foot waves in the area Sunday morning.
    After the boat tipped, one of the men decided to swim for shore, Campbell said. "People can see shore and think it's closer than it is," he said. A good Samaritan in a boat picked the man up and used a radio to call the Coast Guard at about 9 a.m. At that time, the man believed he had been in the water for one to two hours, Campbell said.
    The Coast Guard launched two rescue boats from the Erie station and a helicopter from Detroit.The Coast Guard wasn't able to get a good location for either boat at first, Campbell said.The good Samaritan lit a flare, which led rescuers to his boat, and the man who had been pulled from the water was able to provide better information on the location of the capsized boat.When rescuers got to it, one of the men was standing on the capsized hull, Campbell said. The third man and the woman were in the water hanging onto the boat. The man in the water was wearing a life jacket, and the woman had a seat cushion flotation device on like a backpack, Campbell said. All four were taken by boat to the North Pier and then transported to the hospital. Campbell said one of the men had lacerations from hitting the boat's windshield and another had struck his head. The names and conditions of the four people, as well as the identity of the good Samaritan, weren't available late Sunday.

bluntman
    Expert Angler
    RE: Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight 2009/08/10 19:38:21 (permalink)
    Ive said it before and Ill say it now, dont care who I **** off a 17 foot boat has no business on Lake Erie any further from shore than you can throw a rock
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    RE: Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight 2009/08/10 22:31:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bluntman

Ive said it before and Ill say it now, dont care who I **** off a 17 foot boat has no business on Lake Erie any further from shore than you can throw a rock

I agree....I wouln't go on one, nor will I own one to fish Lake Erie...I had a 19' and Now a 22' and I will never own anything less than a 22' for Lake Erie....Your prolly gonna see people take offense because they have a 19' boat, but they prolly use their head and wouln't go out in 5-7' waves...I wouldn't go out in a 25'er in 7 foot waves....

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight 2009/08/10 22:40:16 (permalink)
    Didn't realize that auto pilot worked going full throttle or over cruise.  Thats just nuts....I wouldn't be on Lake Erie on ANY boat at night with my wife and kids!  I used to take my 17' Smoker Craft out of Walnut for walleye, but I made sure the conditions were right and I constantly watched the weather.  So that should tell you that my Smoker Craft wasn't out there too often!  I remember fishing Erie in the first and second trenches back in the late 80s early 90s in my uncle's 17' Grummin.  Man, we used to slay those eyes out there.  Planer boards, steel line and Jimmy Lures!  I was just a teen and hadn't a care in the world.....we never got in any trouble as far as I could remember....my uncle must have made sure the conditions were right back then too.  I'm cautious and get a little nervous every time I head out on the big lake these days....Its good to respect the big water, especially after reading about stories like this.

16506fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 433
    RE: Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight 2009/08/10 22:54:27 (permalink)
    i got a 17.5 foot sea nymph and dont venture out in anything over 4'ers.... it isnt any fun then anyways... just use your head, watch the sky and if the waves start building head in... little common sense goes a long way...cant feel too sorry for just plain stupidity.... you can see if a storm or front in brewing. you can feel if the winds are picking up. and can see if the waves are building..... it dont take someone with too much brains to do that... but then again i guess it does
    just my 2 cents...
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight 2009/08/10 23:00:42 (permalink)
    An under-powered boat is worse than an undersized one...

jrm45
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 284
    RE: Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight 2009/08/10 23:30:57 (permalink)
    i have a 27'er and wont go out in 4' waves.. some common sense goes a long wy
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight 2009/08/11 10:45:01 (permalink)
    Nice of those guys to give the lady the lifejacket...or help her up onto the hull and out of the water.  Guess I shouldn't comment until I know all the facts but even if I couldn't swim so well, I'd take the cushion and give the lady the life jacket.  And yes, I was able to put a life jacket on while in the water.  Wasn't in 5 footers but it can be done.  At least the three of them did the smart thing and stayed with the hull.

As the saying goes, you can't fix stoopid!  At least they all made it out alive and well and experience is the best teacher.
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight 2009/08/11 11:51:23 (permalink)
    Sunday when that 17' boat capsized I cancelled my trip BUT had to go fill the boat because we fished a late trip on saturday. I ask my customers if they wanted to ride to the fuel dock and they said okay. As we left the channel to go to Lampe for fuel the customer said the lake is nice, look how smooth it is. So I said I'll show you what it is like and took them out around seagull point where there were only two footers. Customer again sayss don't look bad ( my flag was pointed straight toward the starboard side of the boat and we were running 27 mph hours straight, so the flag should have been pointed towards transom! Just a little windy) When we got out to around 40 feet of water there were every bit of 8 foot roolers and they were breaking over. That wasn't even the bad water, out further past the point it looked like a washer machine. The customer then said it's really rough out here. I turned my boat around shut down the starboard motor and set the idle at 500 on the port side. The boat was going 5.2-5.3 and faster just from the wind. I usually can troll around 1.5 on that engine. I then had to run back in with a following sea and I must say it wasa little scary in my big boat, we were running 12-13 mph. and the waves were going faster than us. As the waveswould lift the back of my 10,000 pound plus boat it would start turning us sideways, If I powered up it would straighten out. I couldn' run faster because the trofts were a perfect distance apart to make my boat dig the nose in and push the back around and spin ud sideways. I didn't like the very short ride and couldn't imagine anyone taking a small boat out in those conditions! One wave that rolled would have swamped a 17 foot boat insatntly. I've said it before and I'll say it again noboady should be out there in a small boat. At least over 20 feet with a very deep hull just on smooth days. There are alot of ships that are way bigger than any fishing boats on the bottom of that lake. Thank god everyone is safe including the guy who trusted his gps. I could see how that accident happened. So many guys leave there gps zoomed out and you could never judge an opening in the wall loikethat. I use my lines from prior navigation zoomed in to around 1/4 mile and you can go by gps only but very slow 2 or 3 mph.
    Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight 2009/08/11 12:35:31 (permalink)
    I have had boats from 17 to 24 ft. and none of them are fun in 4 ft. and up waves. Back in the late 70's and 80's we fished in a 18 footer alot. Always in sight of shore and we went in, when any sign of the lake changing. If I heard on the marine radio that there was a storm in Cleveland heading east, I was gone.
    post edited by Split Shot - 2009/08/11 12:37:57

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight 2009/08/11 13:19:30 (permalink)
    I fished a 16' for years before I got my 24.  The day I had to tie my self to my seat was the day I decided on the 24'.  I think the most dangerous situation is the fellow who thinks he can run his boat back in in 3-4' at the same speed he ran it out in 1-2's.   Many get caught on that lake thinking that they "have enough motor" when actually they don't have the hull weight to cut the chop and are reduced to very slow speeds in rough conditions, causing them to end up caught in bad weather.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight 2009/08/11 15:38:28 (permalink)
    The lake's an aweful lot like my wife, once she gets riled up a little you don't want to mess with her!
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight 2009/08/11 16:36:05 (permalink)
    This is the sole reason why I fish the tribs only.
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Conneaut, Coasties, Life Flight 2009/08/11 16:45:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bulldog1

The lake's an aweful lot like my wife, once she gets riled up a little you don't want to mess with her!

That statement deserves the good old     X2    LOL

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: