Poly Leader Question

Author
anchke
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 157
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/03 18:41:44 (permalink)

Poly Leader Question

Two seasons ago I bought an assortment of poly leaders (floating to XFS). Each has a loop at one end to connect with the butt, a mid-leader then a tag at the other end to connect to a tippet. The consumer is s'posed to figure out a way to connect the tag end to the leader. R U with me?

I tied a loop in the tippet tag end of the poly leader. Then I used the loop-to-loop method to connect to the tippet. This worked dandy -- except the leader/tippet connection is now wearing out, and there isn't enough tag left to tie another loop in the tippet end of the poly leader.

Any ideas on how I can put a new tag end for the tippet connection on a poly leader?

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies Related Threads

2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Poly Leader Question 2009/08/03 21:20:27 (permalink)
    Tie on a SPRO swivel to the poly leader, then the tippet or leader material

I had one bust on the salmon river last year.......found a swivel and tied it on......it worked and I didn't lose a fish

didn't look pretty, but it worked......I didn't have much to work with either...........

www.2bonthewater.com
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Poly Leader Question 2009/08/03 21:36:47 (permalink)
    If you need it to float, nail knot a little piece of mono or a superbraid like powerpro to the tippet end, with a perfection loop in it.
    Fisherboy86
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: Poly Leader Question 2009/08/04 00:33:06 (permalink)
    How much of the tag end have you lost?

I've tied a perfection loop in my poly leaders several times before it was too thick.

I haven't tried it, but a nail knot should work in the thicker portion of the leaders.

Best,
    Mike
    Plum Bob
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 575
    RE: Poly Leader Question 2009/08/04 18:29:01 (permalink)
    iF you are using poly leaders to swing for steelhead you might try the following:

1.  form a loop, whip about an inch of it with a fly tying bobbin, coat thread with super glue, (zap a gap) or a couple coats of fly head cement.

2.  form a loop with about an inch doubled over, secure the loop with 2 nail knots, one knot over the end of the doubled tag end, one knot to set the size of the loop.

3.  Tie an albright knot with about 20 lb stiff mono, (maxima chameleon or clear) attach your tippet loop to loop, blood knot or use a small # 12 or 14 barrel swivel.

4,  use the cortland or rio braided leader loops, 2 - 7 wt, nail knot over the end of the tip/sleeve.

If you break a leader while fishing, the albright knot is your best option.

All of the above work well for repairing a break in a poly leader assuming you have enough left to fish with.  The connections if done right are strong and also work well with lengths of t-8 or t-14 for sink tips.

post edited by Plum Bob - 2009/08/04 18:51:03
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Poly Leader Question 2009/08/05 18:20:08 (permalink)
    Thanks, guys. Just what I needed.
    Jump to: