Leader Stretching

Author
pxatim
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4786
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/03 11:01:37 (permalink)

Leader Stretching

Might be a pretty dumb question... but I'll throw myself at the mercy of the masses...

Reading a couple books about fly fishing right now. The one chapter the author was talking about waiting around through the middle part of the day for that hatch to start in the evening. While he was waiting he was BS'n with a couple other anglers that were there. In the middle of the BS'n he talked about them helping each other stretch out their fly lines and leaders. He also did this for a casting competition.

I've never done this... is this something any of you typically do before heading to the stream. Seems like something you'd do if you let your line sit on your reel all summer or something. Will stretching your line out take any coils or loops out of it? I've never tried it...

15 Replies Related Threads

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Leader Stretching 2009/08/03 11:08:31 (permalink)
    Could be very wrong...BUT...I think what they were talking about was the process that you'd go through with one of those leader straightener pads, or even your own hand, gripping the leader tightly and pulling slowly, at an angle. While it wont perfectly straighten the leader, it WILL take out the worst of the memory loops. It's something I do anytime I'm fishign with a knotless mono leader.
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    RE: Leader Stretching 2009/08/03 11:29:01 (permalink)
    Yeah idk... when he was talking about the casting competition, he said they would take their reels to the backing and they would help each other stretch their lines out. Just never heard of that before. Didn't know if it was common, actually helped cast farther, or if he was full of $hit....

Yo Cold... help me stretch out 70 yds of fly line I gotta roll cast from rt 5 to the lake
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: Leader Stretching 2009/08/03 11:31:42 (permalink)
    Were they wearing rainbow waders? It could have been a euphemism for something a little bit different... Just saying...

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Leader Stretching 2009/08/03 11:31:51 (permalink)
    i bought one of those leader straighteners. at first it didn't work so well but i kept using it anyway. once the shiny coating was rubbed off of the straightener it works very well now. anytime i install a new tapered leader i straighten it out with the leader straightener.
    someone on here, can't remember who, said to straighten out a flouro. leader you can use a pair of hemostats. just keep the line tight against the closed hemostats and pull the line tight around them. ~dt

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Leader Stretching 2009/08/03 11:53:37 (permalink)
    Yo Cold... help me stretch out 70 yds of fly line I gotta roll cast from rt 5 to the lake

Sure thing, dUUd! Better yet, do it at the nut and roll cast from the wall to Rte. 5...drift down through the project! I'll stand up by the bridge and stretch the line. You'll probably pick up a dozen egg patterns snagged on your line from the stopsign hole alone!
    JM2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Leader Stretching 2009/08/03 12:33:52 (permalink)
    Yes, it does take the kinks out for the most part. I have seen and heard of this being done to the line, and can see it helping with your distance and presentation. I can also see it helping with managing the line not on the reel while fishing. I don't bother stretching the line, but I always stretch the leader if it is coming off the reel, even if it was just stored there overnight.

The only time I ever feel the need to stretch the line is when I reverse my double taper line. I may just have to start stretching the line more often before fishing, but up to now, I just don't bother to take the time.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Leader Stretching 2009/08/03 12:46:52 (permalink)
    Also, Tim, I've read in a few places that youve got to be careful using the stretchers/straighteners, as, if you pull it through too fast, youll heat the line (with friction) to the point that the nylon starts to breakdown, and it can seriously mess up your leader. I'd imagine it'd be similar to the curling you sometimes see on your tippet after you get hung up in a tree or on the bottom and pull it free. Basically, you're hyperextending it.
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    RE: Leader Stretching 2009/08/03 12:51:41 (permalink)
    exceeding the modulus of elasticity...
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Leader Stretching 2009/08/03 12:56:37 (permalink)
    Hey now! This is a family friendly forum!
    Fisherboy86
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: Leader Stretching 2009/08/03 13:00:24 (permalink)
    Stretching your leader and fly line will improve the performance.

On your fly line, stretching should take out all of the memory and kinks. Allowing the taper to work properly. It helps the overall performance, not only distance. If there appear to be loops or memory in the line after a good stretch, most likely the line is twisted.

Stretching will help leaders to some extent. Monofilament stretches 20% on average before it breaks. I'm not sure about fluorocarbon. The stretching helps remove major memory and improves turnover greatly. If you want all of the loops out, buy a leader straightener. The heat caused by friction, along with the stretching/pulling tight while you use the straightener, will take out all memory.

Mike

anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Leader Stretching 2009/08/06 20:38:30 (permalink)
    Sometimes I use the gravity method on lines. I bot a couple small S-hooks from the hardware store and hook 'em to the loops at the front and back of the fly line, then hook them to branches far enough apart to keep the belly of the fly line suspended above the ground. Leave it that way while you finish a cold one (take your time), and the line is gently "stretched." Leader straighteners should be used carefully, since generating heat doesn't seem desirable. Sometimes for leaders I just get out the S hook and let them hang by their own weight in the breeze over night. Works pretty good.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Leader Stretching 2009/08/06 20:47:10 (permalink)
    I've used leader straighteners, and I've fouind that an old piece of innertube from a truck works just as well as the store bought ones.  As for stretching the line itself it will remove the loops in the line, and hel with farther casts.  I like to heat the line in hot water and then stretch it by tying it to a door knob and backing away while keeping pressure on the line or by running it through a piece of soft leather (golf glove) or innertube.  Ive also found that if you fasten you line to the back bumper of a hemi challenger and hold the other end, , , when the car reaches about 160 feet all the coils disappear.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Leader Stretching 2009/08/06 20:48:26 (permalink)
    Ive also found that if you fasten you line to the back bumper of a hemi challenger and hold the other end, , , when the car reaches about 160 feet all the coils disappear.

Chrome or painted bumper? Which works better?
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Leader Stretching 2009/08/06 22:38:50 (permalink)
    Speaking about cars -- if you can find an old chamois cloth that outlived its usefulness in drying the family truckster, you can use it (the chamois, not the car)(after a good wash and rinse) to clean your line, refloat dry flies and/or remove twist. To take out twist just dampen a piece of the chamois, start at, oh, the first 10' and kind of firmly move the chamois down the line to the tip. Then go back near the 20' mark. Repeat 'til you don't see the line spinning as you move. (hemi challenger haha)
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Leader Stretching 2009/08/07 07:59:24 (permalink)
    Speaking about cars -- if you can find an old chamois cloth that outlived its usefulness in drying the family truckster, you can use it (the chamois, not the car)

Aw hell...for the life my dad's old truck lived (not getting beat on, but road dust was character, not dirt)...one chamois probably would have lasted longer than the **** truck!
    Jump to: