Opinions: Fly Line for Great Lakes Steelhead

Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/17 13:07:26 (permalink)

Opinions: Fly Line for Great Lakes Steelhead

Hopefully, by the time the first major runs start coming in, I'll have a 7 or 8 wt setup just for that purpose. I'll be able to get a flyline that will probably only see usage as a steelhead line so i'd like to get something that will excel at that application. Most lines on the market advertised as "Salmon/Steelhead" lines are intended for the long-distance steelhead fishing done on the other side of the country. Obviously, you dont need (or even want) any specialized "distance taper" on a GL trib flyline.

I was looking at the SA Mastery Nymph line as a good choice, designed to turn over weighted flies, shot, and indicators, all staples of GL trib fishing. Anyone use this line and have an opinion of it? Anyone have any other favorite line specifically for steel? I know a special line isnt needed, but I have to get a new line either way, and except for a little bass fishing, this will be the only use for it, so I might as well get a line that will be ideal for this type of fishing.

I looked at intermediates & sink-tips, but I'm not sure that's necessary, or even desirable, for most trib fishing conditions. The SA Mastery Nymph seems line it was made to use with tactics most often used for GL steel.

15 Replies Related Threads

mossy oak
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 883
    RE: Opinions: Fly Line for Great Lakes Steelhead 2009/07/17 13:25:10 (permalink)
    Cold,

I haven't heard about that SA line, but I'm interested to see the responses.  It sounds like something that might be worthwhile.  Anything to turn over the indicators and egg patterns easier...

MO

so save your breath I could not hear, I think I made it very clear...

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Opinions: Fly Line for Great Lakes Steelhead 2009/07/17 13:41:22 (permalink)
    cold, when i started fishing steelhead i actualy got a level 8f line. it was under $25.00. i got this because i wasn't sure whether i would like steelhead fishin (funny thought huh?) i used the line for 2 years without any problems and it held up. i only got another line because i got a 7wt. i still have the 8wt. when my son comes up to fish.
    in the erie tribs you don't cast very far and even when i felt i had to there was enough weight on the end of the line to carry the line as far as needed. i didn't fish the lake banks so i didin't need it to cast very far.
    though it's hard now to find a dt. line in 7 or 8wt., i still feel dtf. is the way to go.
    though i don't have the experience as most on the forum fishing steelhead i would stick with a floating line. not sure how well a sink tip would work.
    most of cortland lines, 444 and 333 are rated for cold weather. this is a good thing to have on your side so the line doesn't get real stiff. 
    i never used the sa lines though so it might be worth it but i'll stick with a least expensive line. 
    ~just my exp.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Opinions: Fly Line for Great Lakes Steelhead 2009/07/17 13:45:21 (permalink)
    I got a demo 7 wt line that was given to me I think its a cortland line.  I turn around and nail knot my backing to the taper and just use the running line since I think iv'e only made about 10 real casts in Erie over the years.  You don't need anything special, waste your money on something better (like gas to get up there in first place)
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Opinions: Fly Line for Great Lakes Steelhead 2009/07/17 13:50:14 (permalink)
    dude
    buy the cheapest line you can...
    nymphing Erie Steelbows doesn't require casting or precision

most fishing is done within 30ft (at most) and your not even casting
    you don't need anything but a cheap floater
    you can over line or under line... it doesn't matter
    i wouldn't spend more that $20 if i were you
    ice kills line... dirty water kills line... rip rap kills line
    post edited by KJH807 - 2009/07/17 14:28:30
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Opinions: Fly Line for Great Lakes Steelhead 2009/07/17 14:26:21 (permalink)
    I have Rio line, mainstream or something like that. 7wff.

Has worked for 2 years No issues.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Opinions: Fly Line for Great Lakes Steelhead 2009/07/17 15:44:47 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: KJH807

dude
    buy the cheapest line you can...
    nymphing Erie Steelbows doesn't require casting or precision

well said.
    tank7791
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 511
    RE: Opinions: Fly Line for Great Lakes Steelhead 2009/07/17 15:46:57 (permalink)
    Cold I run that line and I like it. My only proplem with it is the welded loop came apart on me. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced it for free. It's a good line for the money
    post edited by tank7791 - 2009/07/17 15:47:45

Tight lines and happy days

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver

http://s619.photobucket.com/albums/tt277/tank7791/?firstLogin=true
    clearwater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 345
    RE: Opinions: Fly Line for Great Lakes Steelhead 2009/07/17 18:28:50 (permalink)
    i spent the money and got orvis stellhead taper floaring line and lets just say it is on my backup rod i now use wulff triangle taper and cortland 555.  the big thing is u want something thats soft and not gonn get stiff in the cold water if u fish in the winter.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Opinions: Fly Line for Great Lakes Steelhead 2009/07/17 21:54:23 (permalink)
    Cold,
       I use SA 6-7-or 8 wt in a dt floating just like doubletaper suggested.  I also use the cheapest stuff I can because it tends to get a little chewed up if you have fish dragging it across the shale in the tribs.  SOoooo since I'm going to replace it due to unnatural wear before it shouild wear out I'll buy cheap stuff and replace it when necessary.  Fishing for steel in the tribs aint rocket science you just got to know where they "ain't".  BTW I have some mixed reels and rods you can try anytime we're in the same area.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Opinions: Fly Line for Great Lakes Steelhead 2009/07/20 09:38:54 (permalink)
    cold you could sell me that 3wt lol

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Opinions: Fly Line for Great Lakes Steelhead 2009/07/20 10:00:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: fishenfool46

cold you could sell me that 3wt lol

I'd certainly consider selling you the rod at MSRP...considering I got it for less than half-price.

The reel you'll have to pry from my cold, dead fingers.

I also use the cheapest stuff I can because it tends to get a little chewed up if you have fish dragging it across the shale in the tribs.

I dont catch enough fish for that to be a problem!

the big thing is u want something thats soft and not gonn get stiff in the cold water if u fish in the winter.

Yes! That's, I guess what I meant to say. I know I dont need any kind of advanced line, but I want a line that will stay soft & supple in cold weather.
    clearwater
    Expert Angler
    RE: Opinions: Fly Line for Great Lakes Steelhead 2009/07/20 18:35:55 (permalink)
    quote:

the big thing is u want something thats soft and not gonn get stiff in the cold water if u fish in the winter.

Yes! That's, I guess what I meant to say. I know I dont need any kind of advanced line, but I want a line that will stay soft & supple in cold weather.

at the time all ihad was my orvis steelhead taper line (junk)  and i went to mexico and fished with it it went way to limp amd was very hard to cast just something to think about..   the  feakn bath water and the 95* temps killed it
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Opinions: Fly Line for Great Lakes Steelhead 2009/07/20 18:59:49 (permalink)
    Well using a steelhead line in 95 degree weather was something you probably should have guessed might have been a bad idea...just sayin...

clearwater
    Expert Angler
    RE: Opinions: Fly Line for Great Lakes Steelhead 2009/07/20 21:27:46 (permalink)
    it was all i had at the time got two small bones and a couple other fish befor it got to bad..      
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Opinions: Fly Line for Great Lakes Steelhead 2009/07/21 10:00:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: clearwater

it was all i had at the time got two small bones and a couple other fish before it got to bad..      

Hey man, nothing wrong with that! 
    Jump to: