Lake Tamarack

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
carcus1211
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 457
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/16 11:13:49 (permalink)
I totally agree with Paul.  Born and raised in Meadville, I used to love coming to this lake to watch my dad and family fish (I was too young)  This was in the late 80's and 90's.  Now I didn't start fishing regularly until about 5 years ago, but have seen the drastic change in the lake.  I was there before, during and have been there about 5 times since they drained it.  Tamarack is definitely not like it used to be.  My family has fished it for years and I don't every recall seeing 25 boats on it.  The most i've seen is about 10.  About 3 months ago I was there and was drifting with minnows on the dam end.  We were dragging minnows on the bottom and there was absolutely no foliage at all.  Every panfish (mostly crappies) we caught were about 6" and thin.  I landed a little eye to about 8".  So you guys can argue all you want, but I know what I've experience there. 

Oh and KMP, there is no spillway... unless you're talking about one of the 2 small streams running into it on the south end...

LoveGlove United
dealinsteel
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 318
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/16 11:38:26 (permalink)
Sorry Paul I forgot you were a pro angler and I'm only an expert, I'll go home with my tail between my legs since you are the resident musky expert/biologist that knows all and needs no reason. First the size limit and now this, it's like you're always out to attack my opinions, so why you even bring that up here anymore?  At least you don't do it on OGF too.
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/16 11:50:11 (permalink)
Please don't take it personal...not trying to offend you or anyone.  I'm just stating the facts the way I see them through my own experiences and the experiences of those who have been doing it for just as long as I have. 

You are correct, obviously I have a soft spot for the sport that I have been involved with for 20+ years.  Poured my heart, lots of money, even a part of my life into muskie fishing.  My first marriage was ruined partially because of muskie fishing.  You are darned right I know what I'm talking about when it comes to muskie fishing and, as you can see, I'm not afraid to let it be known.  Its not because of ignorance I can assure you, its because of many years of being out there fishing, making efforts to change the sport for the better, and researching everything concerning muskies.  I'm NO biologist, just a simple 'ol school teacher....I'm no dummy either.  Its just pretty obvious where the decline of Tamarack began, it happened the instant they drained the lake....whether it was the right or wrong thing to do, I could not say for sure, but I know one thing; its worse as a result of it, probably never to return to what it once was.  Its been nearly 10 years now, so chances are that Tamarack is what it is now for good.  Sad if you ask me.

Again, don't take it personal dealinsteel.

Now, I'm off to Chautauqua for a muskie tournament....odds are, I won't be seeing Howard there.
post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2009/07/16 11:52:29

dealinsteel
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 318
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/16 12:20:40 (permalink)
Odds are you won't see him at St. Clair or Kawarthas either but he'll be in the Post Gazette with another huge fish from PA. 
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/16 12:41:21 (permalink)
Good for him...the guy does catch some big fish, I have to admit...

seejib
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 268
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/17 14:04:21 (permalink)
Husky jerk is when you get a roughneck ****ed off.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/17 22:00:52 (permalink)
When I talk about the declined fishery at Tamarack I am not even referring to the Musky fishing.
This lake through the 80's and early 90's was one of the best Largemouth lakes around. Huge bass and plenty of them. Used to go there in the summer to slop fish the weed mats with rubber frogs.. Not any more.
We used to go there in the spring with 200 minnies and use every one crappie fishing...Not any more.
We used to be able to pick up some Walleyes up to 27 1/2" was our best. Not any more.

I have only been back a few times since the draw down.
It just isn't the same body of water. My last 2 times down there there seemed to be an algae bloom and it was like fishing in pea soup. For a swamp hole this lake used to have good clear water...I don't understand why it doesn't clean up like it used to be..

Watch out for those creeks on the end as they are full of Musky, this is the only fish stockable there. And they suck cause only  1/3 of them is edible.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

KMP
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 439
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/18 14:17:13 (permalink)
We went to the main lake like others advised caught one 34 incher, then did some crappie fishing and caught a dozen for dinner. Going back up in a wek or two borrowing my uncles frineds jon boat and am gonna try trolling for muskies this time
Raab
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 417
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/18 14:21:19 (permalink)
wheres the pic of the 34 incher? I know, you forgot your camera....
KMP
Expert Angler
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/18 14:26:10 (permalink)
No I'll put them on later I got upload them from my phone first
Raab
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 417
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/18 14:27:07 (permalink)
OK, we'll be waiting...
clearwater
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 345
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/18 20:56:53 (permalink)
why didnt you try the spillway prob a foot deep now it would be packed with skies
Indian Summer
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 167
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/20 09:00:18 (permalink)
ShutUpNFish..... first of all you DO know someone who caught 15 or more muskies in a day. Me. Did it at St Clair the 2nd year I started going. Better yet the record as I know it is held by someone else you know..... Ivan the Terrible (Adam) also at St Clair. He caught 24 in one day. Of course that's three rods out of the boat but still.....

Also, how did you get to be the resident muskie expert when my wife kicked your butt this weekend at Chautauqua? Thanks, my walleye fishing is free for the next month!

To answer one's question: I still think Tamarack is a great place for a beginner to land their first muskie. The small size of the lake is good because you are just about guaranteed to contact fish. Like any lake though timing is key and early like April/May would be the best.

Pymatuning is getting better every year but again.... early is best for numbers so beginners should fish then. Always a chance of a Pymie hog though at any time of year and they are FAT.

This time of year Chautauqua N.Y. shines and open water trolling is on. Put 13 in the boat this past weekend including 2 45 inchers, a 45.5 and a 47.5.

For the record..... Paul didn't fare to bad either with second place. $300 should be some trolling gas and plenty of crawlers for awhile. Good job Paul! 

KMP....  The lake has big golden shiners in it. I've tried hanging one over the side while casting but never had any luck on the live bait. Try casting some 5 1/2 or 6 inch crank baits. Always worked best for me. Also... never did any good trolling. Casting was best in the center of the lake. There are stumps and some isolated weed clumps. They were my best spots. If you get bored of the electric thing I'd suggest Pymie. You can cast or troll there and the numbers are good.
post edited by Indian Summer - 2009/07/20 09:04:17
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/20 14:45:36 (permalink)
You know I'm talking about PA here Joe!  Lake St. Clair doesn't even count as far as "real" muskie fishing is concerned....YOU KNOW THAT!  Besides, I was fishing Tamarack, Woodcock and other surrounding Meadville muskie lakes while you were still bass fishing the Mon!

"Also, how did you get to be the resident muskie expert when my wife kicked your butt this weekend at Chautauqua? Thanks, my walleye fishing is free for the next month!"

Yeah, with a little help from yours truely!  I'm NOT taking my cell phone out next year F*^Ker...My partner won't let me anyway!  Just ask Joe how and where he won the tourney!

Believe me, I was glad to see you guys win it after 8 years of not fishing the lake....No excuses for me and my partner, we simply blew it on day 1...1 for 6!!!  Whats up with that?  If we had landed one more fish, we win hands down!  All in all great fun and I can't wait til next year! 

Oh yeah...don't forget where your muskie roots began Joe!  And I don't feel bad being beat out by Toni just this once, especially when I know it happens to you everytime you go out!!

A 46" from the tourney...
post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2009/07/20 15:00:04

Split Shot
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 891
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/20 18:37:16 (permalink)
Beautiful fish!

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
Indian Summer
Avid Angler
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/21 09:16:52 (permalink)

47.5 top and 45.5 bottom. Those with another 45 a 38, 35, 34, & a 33.5 were enough to beat some **** good fisherman. I would hope so! My roots are at the Wiley Lure factory. This week though the Legend Lures prevailed with the open water troll. It has been 8 years since I've fished Chautauqua. It was my home lake. Glad to see that in spite of the ever existent red spot it is still doing great.
post edited by Indian Summer - 2009/07/21 10:37:41
Indian Summer
Avid Angler
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/21 09:30:48 (permalink)
 To get one of these......

you need one of these Bayliner Boy. St Clair 55 incher. Wiley Lures!

post edited by Indian Summer - 2009/07/21 10:39:15
Indian Summer
Avid Angler
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/21 10:40:56 (permalink)
My true passion..........
KMP
Expert Angler
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/21 11:32:50 (permalink)
Those are real muskies mine was just a pup! And I have virgin mobile and I'm out of service does anyone know how I can get the pics on here? It won't be awhile til I get out fishing again but when I do it'll probably be edging toward steelie season. Either way does anyone think Lake Edinboro has good to great muskie fishing from shore or does anyone know somewhere within an hour from Erie that holds good numbers of muskie? PM if you want it to stay private
KMP
Expert Angler
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/21 11:36:57 (permalink)
WOW!!! You got that on a bow? What weight is your bow set at?
Indian Summer
Avid Angler
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/21 12:50:27 (permalink)
If I was going to shore fish I'd try either Woodcock or the causeway at Pymatuning. Both have enough muskies to expect to contact fish. The Woodcock ones will be small. Pymie ones not so small. Both have decent fishable depths from shore unlike Tamarack and most others.

Edinboro has good muskie fishing. Haven't personally pounded it too much but know some who have and did fair. Not sure about the shore fishing there. Paul can probably answer that as well as help you with phone pics. That pic of his 46 is from a phone. Tell him to take you muskie fishing some time while you're at it. He knows all the local lakes and is set up to fish them properly. Plus he's a school teacher and has nothing but time right now. I would but I have two weekends until leaving to work in Montana again.

Bow is at 73 pounds. I hope to get a muskie one day that weighs that much! Even if I'm just the net man.

By the way... those last releases put my wife at about 150 muskies now. She cooked a helluva perch dinner last night too. 
post edited by Indian Summer - 2009/07/21 12:55:32
steelheadfillet
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 298
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/21 13:52:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Indian Summer

To get one of these......

you need one of these Bayliner Boy. St Clair 55 incher. Wiley Lures!

[/q

good job killing that muskie.is it really worth hanging it by its gills for a picture?
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/21 13:55:42 (permalink)
"good job killing that muskie.is it really worth hanging it by its gills for a picture?"

Don't even go there dude!  First off, the fish was released unharmed and second, if you knew how many fish Joe and Toni have successfully released over the years, you wouldn't even be runnin' your mouth.  Get back under the bridge!
post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2009/07/21 13:56:29

Indian Summer
Avid Angler
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/21 14:21:20 (permalink)
Hey steeliefillet...... how do you know we even released the fish? Everyone does have the right to keep a fish of any kind or size if they choose right? Muskies are good to eat you know.

That Boga Grip takes the weight off of the gill plate. Fact is though that I rarely hold them like that. But since it was the fish of a lifetime I wanted every pic I could get. Nice pic don't you agree? The fish went back in the water after CUTTING the hooks until it was fully revived and ready to take off while the wife readies the camera. Then the fish is out of the water for about a half a minute for photos before an easy release.  In reality the meanest most harmful thing you can do to a muskie is catch it in the first place. Like perch or eyes if the swim bladder blows up it's all over.  

These days I don't even pick up the camera for anything under 45. If it's my own fish I only take pics of 48+. How's that for conservation minded? This was "the one" though.... especially since I get more satisfaction out of others banging muskies from my boat than reeling them in myself. I bet you don't feel that way about your fishing. More the competitive type I'm guessing.

The fact of the matter is that that fish would have ended up like that elk if it was up to me. Yep I was ready to use that Boga for a club. I told her that if she was ever going to keep a muskie that this was the one. She said nope.... let it go. The hold was my idea. And for all I've done for the muskies over the years, including founding the Three Rivers Chapter of Muskies Inc, I think I earned that picture, it's my favorite of the 1000's. It's my personal best just as much as it is hers.

So I'll go back to worrying about my next giant muskie or limit of eyes or box full of perch while you worry about what everyone else is doing. By the way.... how do those steelhead fillets swim away when you put them back in the water??

Have an ice day.
post edited by Indian Summer - 2009/07/21 14:35:24
steelheadfillet
Expert Angler
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/21 16:15:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

"good job killing that muskie.is it really worth hanging it by its gills for a picture?"

Don't even go there dude!  First off, the fish was released unharmed and second, if you knew how many fish Joe and Toni have successfully released over the years, you wouldn't even be runnin' your mouth.  Get back under the bridge!

only fools state what they think but dont know.
did you personaly swim behind those muskie for the next 3 weeks and make sure they survived?

lets hear your next foolish statement.
steelheadfillet
Expert Angler
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/21 16:17:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Indian Summer

Hey steeliefillet...... how do you know we even released the fish? Everyone does have the right to keep a fish of any kind or size if they choose right? Muskies are good to eat you know.

That Boga Grip takes the weight off of the gill plate. Fact is though that I rarely hold them like that. But since it was the fish of a lifetime I wanted every pic I could get. Nice pic don't you agree? The fish went back in the water after CUTTING the hooks until it was fully revived and ready to take off while the wife readies the camera. Then the fish is out of the water for about a half a minute for photos before an easy release.  In reality the meanest most harmful thing you can do to a muskie is catch it in the first place. Like perch or eyes if the swim bladder blows up it's all over.  

These days I don't even pick up the camera for anything under 45. If it's my own fish I only take pics of 48+. How's that for conservation minded? This was "the one" though.... especially since I get more satisfaction out of others banging muskies from my boat than reeling them in myself. I bet you don't feel that way about your fishing. More the competitive type I'm guessing.

The fact of the matter is that that fish would have ended up like that elk if it was up to me. Yep I was ready to use that Boga for a club. I told her that if she was ever going to keep a muskie that this was the one. She said nope.... let it go. The hold was my idea. And for all I've done for the muskies over the years, including founding the Three Rivers Chapter of Muskies Inc, I think I earned that picture, it's my favorite of the 1000's. It's my personal best just as much as it is hers.

So I'll go back to worrying about my next giant muskie or limit of eyes or box full of perch while you worry about what everyone else is doing. By the way.... how do those steelhead fillets swim away when you put them back in the water??

Have an ice day.

hey, I think I've seen you on the wall at walnut. your wife is always wearing your old flannel shirt.
Is that yinz or do I have you mistaken with someone else?
Rpgyard
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 93
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/21 16:24:09 (permalink)
Duud those fish are small, and probably photoshopped...Just kidding, what an awesome thrill those must have been.  I have never caught a Muskie, but I would love to learn how to go about it.  I just bought a cheap muskie rod last year and a bunch of lures.  Would you teach me how to do it?

Ryan
Indian Summer
Avid Angler
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/21 16:46:41 (permalink)
"hey, I think I've seen you on the wall at walnut. your wife is always wearing your old flannel shirt.
Is that yinz or do I have you mistaken with someone else?"

Nope. must be someone else. But I think think I saw your wife snagging at the bridge. Wasn't she the one wearing the pants in the family.

Making it personal dude.... you gotta be kidding me. But I bet my wife can beat up your wife. She might even be able to take you. LOL This is getting almost as bad as the Amish Navy thread where I see you tossed in your 2 cents too.

To answer a legitimate question .... we tagged 1700 muskies in the Kawarthas in the mid and late 90's working with the Kawartha Fisheries Association. Yeah.... 1700. We recaught plenty of them so I guess you could say we've "followed them" for months after releasing them. Have you seen many of those filets spawning up near McKean? 

Rpgyard.... look me up. PM me if you like. Best bet would be Chautauqua. You can troll or cast which makes it easier to stick with it all day. I'll tell you what to get to get started. You don't have to spend millions. Then come up and fish with us for a day and follow us in your boat the next. You can borrow some stuff for the day so you don't have to pick up too much. You'll get the biggest fish of your life in a day or two if you've never tried it. I bet you don't hear too many people say guaranteed & muskies in the same sentence but it's as close as you can get.

The main thing is that like most fish there are daily short windows of opportunity. You can fish for 6 hours without a rip and then have you and a friends boat catch 5 in 45 minutes. You tell someone you got 13 muskies last weekend and they think it was all action but they were all really caught in two or three 1-2 hour runs. That's muskie fishing. If you say well I'll try it for a couple hours in the morning and then go for bass you will never get it right. To fish for muskies is to leave everything else at home.

There are times when my wife reminds me that she didn't enlist in the Navy. I say well you stepped onto the wrong warship then. She's become quite the warrior too.   
post edited by Indian Summer - 2009/07/21 16:59:38
steelheadfillet
Expert Angler
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/21 16:59:20 (permalink)
I must have been stereotyping again.
I was serious though, I think I've seen her.
I'm still waiting on your buddies response on how he knows those muskies survived.
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/21 17:21:02 (permalink)
Do you seriously care what my response is?  Or are you just looking for some sort of debate or just trying to stir up the water here?  I'd be willing to bet it is the latter of the two.  To be quite blunt, it is pretty obvious what you're looking for. 

In short and to appease your ignorance...I will say that we have spent enough time on specific bodies of water, catching and releasing muskies over the years, to see/know that there aren't hundreds of dead fish floating around dead.  And the increase of size/quality of fish due to C&R is obvious proof that most fish do survive after being caught if being properly handled (and these folks are doing it as correctly as they possibly can).  Not to mention the tagging survey that we did.

Where will you proceed from here smart****

Gotta go!  Be back later....

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: