Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
KMP
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 439
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/11 11:48:12 (permalink)

Lake Tamarack

Heading down to lake tamarack in a week or two to get a few muskies outta the spillway anyone have any tips of wether to use bait or big stickbaits? PM if you would like your suggestions to stay private

87 Replies Related Threads

Raab
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 417
    RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/11 11:49:16 (permalink)
    whats a stickbait?
    KMP
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/11 11:56:51 (permalink)
    Rapala's such as husky jerks or anything like that? Should I just take a dozen or two chubs and a handful of big buchtail spinners?
    Raab
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 417
    RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/11 12:00:15 (permalink)
    whats a husky jerk?
    maynard_g_crabs
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/11 13:04:46 (permalink)
    Spinners for sure.  Double showgirl or cowgirl if you want to spend that much, or just a good old mepps or vibrax.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/11 13:18:53 (permalink)
    I would take 2 chubs, not a dozen.
    Not sure about the Butchtails..Mabee they are Bucktails cut like a mullet.
    As far as the Husky Jerkin, that sounds like one of those auto erotic things and I would know nothing about it.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

mirro
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/11 13:57:43 (permalink)
    Tamarack spillway?Muskies?
    maynard_g_crabs
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/11 14:06:36 (permalink)
    Here's what's going on in Tamarack, musky-wise:

TAMARACK LAKE
    Crawford County's Tamarack Lake was once considered the finest muskie lake in the state in terms of muskie density. It was once a great "action" lake, and provided me with my first four-muskie day.

In spring 1999, it was drained to permit repair work on its dam structures. Since then, it has been refilled and restocked, and early indications are that it is on its way to being great muskie water again.

"For physical habitat, Tamarack Lake is prime muskellunge water," said biologist Woomer. "It is shallow throughout, with an average depth of just 4.2 feet. It has an abundance of aquatic vegetation growth that can reach nuisance levels in some years, but it is great habitat for muskies.

"The lake also has lots of old submerged stumps that provide plenty of ambush sites for muskies. During the 1999 drawdown, we handled over 500 adult muskies, which is almost one per acre, making this a really great muskie fishery," Woomer said.

Following completion of the dam repair work, it didn't take long for the Fish and Boat Commission to begin restocking this productive water.

"We began restocking muskellunge in November 1999 with 2,200 fingerlings," recalled the biologist. "This was while the lake was still drawn down but had enough water that we could get some fingerlings in to get things rolling. In 2000, 37 adult muskellunge were stocked in April and 1,680 fingerlings were stocked in September. In 2001, 560 fingerlings were stocked. This is the normal or prescribed stocking rate of one fish per acre that we stock to maintain a muskellunge fishery.

"In 2002, it again received 560 fingerlings, but because of a shortfall in hatchery production in 2003, it did not receive any muskies. Generally, the percentage of survival in refilled impoundments is very good to excellent due to the lack of predators, so there should be a really good muskie population established given our high stocking rates and good survival. Growth rates are generally very good during the first few years following a drawdown because of the high level of forage available and limited competition among predators for food," Woomer noted.

Tamarack is a productive water with a variety of food species to feed a dense muskellunge population. Woomer lists the primary forage base as panfish, such as yellow perch, bluegills, pumpkinseed sunfish and crappies. Some bullhead species, golden shiners and minnow species could also be consumed.

This is an electric motors-only lake. Shallow draft boats driven by powerful electric motors with lots of battery power are the best bets. The Fish and Boat Commission provides seven access points, making it convenient to re-launch in different areas rather than burning up battery power boating to them
    muskylover
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/11 16:49:07 (permalink)
    was there about 3 times this year and hooked 2 muskie on bombers(saltwater)only landed one(39 in). It's got some fish but they see about everything,live bait might be the way to go.
    KMP
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/11 23:08:15 (permalink)
    Yeah my buddies go up there and fish on boat. They say they stop at the spillway to see whats going on and once or twice muskies are pulled out of it. A lot of people tell me its the best place to for a musky fishing beginner
    16506fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 433
    RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/11 23:13:27 (permalink)
    HoW WoOd u KnOw

u KaNt RydE Ur Byke ThAt FaR DuDE
    clearwater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 345
    RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/12 08:02:04 (permalink)
    i know there is no where to fish on the one end for sure tamarack has two dams on it one on each end and to be honest i dont think the bottom end would have much water coming out, there are lots of places to fish from shore inthe lake. the bottom end where the pines are is one of the deepestg parts of the lake like 13 feet with a nice piont and a shallow bay.  i guess what in getting at is that if the spillway stinks u didnt waste the drive.  
    fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1673
    RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/12 09:21:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: KMP

Heading down to lake tamarack in a week or two to get a few muskies outta the spillway anyone have any tips of wether to use bait or big stickbaits? PM if you would like your suggestions to stay private

Hey Kim,
    Sure you don't mean Woodcock Lake.
    There are no spillways on Tamarack to fish, just a couple of  very small streams.
    As for Tamarack, we fished it on Fri. eve. got a bunch of panfish, saw 3 muskies sunning on the surface in the middle of the lake and had another on for about 3 seconds as it engulfed a small perch I was reeling in.
    Mike

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/12 10:35:05 (permalink)
    The state ruined the lake IMO.  The habitat is NOTHING like it used to be and now its a huge mud puddle like most other "mud bottom" lakes in PA.  The weed base was once like what you'd see in Canada, but thats no longer the case since they drained it because of idiotic, political beurocracy.  Once a pluggers dream right here in our back yards with nice clear water and cabbage type weeds is now a stained and murky mess that you might as well troll like all the others and you're lucky to find a few weeds here or there.  As you can see, I miss Tamarack for what it once was and do not spend as much time there anymore because of it's loss of appeal.  If I want to fish muskies in murky water, I'll go to Pymy or Moraine...its a shame what they did really.  They can do what they want with it and try stocking the **** out of it, but it will never be what it once was.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2009/07/12 10:36:36

rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/12 12:22:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Raab

whats a husky jerk?
    KMP
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/12 17:19:15 (permalink)
    I'm sure its Tamarack, I know several people that fish there. And they say it runs by the dam and the fish group up there eating the food coming outta the spillway. I'll try several spots, I'm pri gonna start around 8 and fish til dark
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/12 20:46:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

The state ruined the lake IMO.  The habitat is NOTHING like it used to be and now its a huge mud puddle like most other "mud bottom" lakes in PA.  The weed base was once like what you'd see in Canada, but thats no longer the case since they drained it because of idiotic, political beurocracy.  Once a pluggers dream right here in our back yards with nice clear water and cabbage type weeds is now a stained and murky mess that you might as well troll like all the others and you're lucky to find a few weeds here or there.  As you can see, I miss Tamarack for what it once was and do not spend as much time there anymore because of it's loss of appeal.  If I want to fish muskies in murky water, I'll go to Pymy or Moraine...its a shame what they did really.  They can do what they want with it and try stocking the **** out of it, but it will never be what it once was.

Agree 100%..
    I have fished that lake since 1972..
    What a shame what they did to that fishery..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 720
    RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/13 06:13:50 (permalink)
    The muskie fishing has been horrible this year, thats not to say not to try. I think if you go to the "spillway" at tamarak you will be dissapointed as other have said they are small puddles that you can do nothing but pitch lures, no casting needed to reach the other side. Good luck, let us know how you do
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/13 10:52:51 (permalink)
    Last time I was there a couple of years ago we used topwaters for them, it was a great time. But like SUNF says, it has been ruined. I have not been there in a couple of years for that reason.

dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 318
    RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/13 13:33:19 (permalink)
    well if you consider ruined to be not catching 18 muskies in one trip then sure, it's not like it used to be.  But there's still fish in there and you have to work hard to catch them, musky fishing isn't a walk in the park ya know....  To suggest that the state ruined it is absurd, I would say more of the people who told all of their friends it was the best place to go, and they were catching 15 muskies a trip.  Those boat launches have changed quite a bit since there never used to be a line to get on the lake or full parking lots filled with cars and trailers. 
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/13 13:53:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: anzomcik

The muskie fishing has been horrible this year, thats not to say not to try. I think if you go to the "spillway" at tamarak you will be dissapointed as other have said they are small puddles that you can do nothing but pitch lures, no casting needed to reach the other side. Good luck, let us know how you do

Hopefully he goes.  Since, you know, he does know everything.
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/14 02:25:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dealinsteel

well if you consider ruined to be not catching 18 muskies in one trip then sure, it's not like it used to be.  But there's still fish in there and you have to work hard to catch them, musky fishing isn't a walk in the park ya know....  To suggest that the state ruined it is absurd, I would say more of the people who told all of their friends it was the best place to go, and they were catching 15 muskies a trip.  Those boat launches have changed quite a bit since there never used to be a line to get on the lake or full parking lots filled with cars and trailers. 

Err...
    Frenchy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/14 21:23:38 (permalink)
    Good place to catch a bunch of 5" crappies if you want. I caught 4 of them on a double bladed 3/8 oz chatruse spinnerbait saturday night. Witnessed a blue bass boat running the big motor at speed after dark going back to the launch. :) Tamarack will never be the same until the weeds are back. Them crappie must have been pretty hungry to bite a bigspinner bait. Weeds mean feed for the panfish. Without feed they will never get big. Has anyone caught a limit of panfish in the last couple of years that were over 5"?
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/15 12:33:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Frenchy

Good place to catch a bunch of 5" crappies if you want. I caught 4 of them on a double bladed 3/8 oz chatruse spinnerbait saturday night. Witnessed a blue bass boat running the big motor at speed after dark going back to the launch. :) Tamarack will never be the same until the weeds are back. Them crappie must have been pretty hungry to bite a bigspinner bait. Weeds mean feed for the panfish. Without feed they will never get big. Has anyone caught a limit of panfish in the last couple of years that were over 5"?

I've caught some 5-8'', but never over 10''.

And my recent trip, last wednesday-thursday. We boated 2, a 33'' and a 39'' and had a 40''+ Toss the lure at the boat, almost hit me in the face.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/15 19:58:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dealinsteel

I'm not going to get into a battle of opinions here, just going on my experiences and time spent on the water at Tamerack Lake.  I fished it hard in the late eighties & early nineties, all I can say is that it does not compare to what it used to be as far as the habitat, quality of fish, numbers or water clarity.  I have to admit, I never caught 18 muskies there or met anyone who ever has in one trip.  As a matter of fact, never caught 18 fish on one trip in one outing anywhere.....11 in a day is my personal best and I will gaurantee it was not in PA.  Botton line, yeah you can still catch fish at Tamarack, but its nowhere near as nice as it once was, its pretty much like every other PA/OH mud puddle that you can catch muskies in....I miss the once picture perfect atmosphere to catch the ever illusive esox-masquinongy you once had at Tamarack.

ps - And anyone who has told you they caught 15 to 18 fish in a day, is full of ****!  I've been at this game long enough to know when I'm being delt a load of crap...Theres only ONE place in the world you can rack up those kinds of numbers when muskie fishing is concerned and it sure as Hell is NOT Tamarack Lake of today or yesterday (A lake that is electric motors only to boot).  I am WILLING to go out on a limb and say that thats a bunch of BS! 
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2009/07/15 20:04:42

Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/15 23:29:38 (permalink)
    15-18 in one day? You said you've caught 11. Couldn't it be possible to nab 4 more? My personal best is 8, with 1 lost. And that wasn't a 14 hour extravaganza. Like the one I had on Lake Arthur a few weeks back..

Either way I think whoever said "people catch 18" was exaggerating just a tad.
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 318
    RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/16 08:31:05 (permalink)
    Well along with a loss of habitat, an increase in fishing pressure, and some locals that like throw fish on shore, you're bound to have a decline in a fishery, especially one as accessible as Tamarack.  I'm no biologist and I'm not going to argue why it's not what it was.  I don't get on here to "battle" anyone, people have different opinions on here, as we see daily.  I'm not doubting you as a fisherman Paul, I've seen the fish you've caught at Chautaqua, St Clair and Kawarthas, and have heard how you worked with Wiley.  I know three people have told me of trips with high teen #'s of catches and one was Howard Wagner, a fellow 3 rivers member, and a family friend.  That was the past though.  All I'm saying is people are now catching some fish that are super skinny and look like hell.  To me, a fish that looks that way hasn't been able to eat, whether it means the forage base isn't good, or everytime it tries to eat it gets hooked!  On a 500 acre shallow reservoir that's not that far out of question, especially when every weekend for the last 8 years there's been 25 boats on it.  Fish do get conditioned!!    
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/16 10:15:46 (permalink)
    Tamarack is no longer the way it was because the state DRAINED it and thats the bottom line.  And its NOT a matter of opinion, its a fact.  It has nothing to do with pressure or anything else.  Somewhere along the line, someone declared earthen ****s to be unsafe and need to be removed and replaced.  Tamarack was the perfect candidate for another F-Up by the state and the sportsmen are paying for it.  Thats it. 

I'm sorry, but as many times as I fished Tamarack, the most muskie fishing boats I've ever seen on that lake at once was maybe 5.  Thats not an excess of pressure by any means.  Thats on a weekend, try fishing it on a weekday....I'm usually one of the only boats out there period.

Whether Howard is friend or family, doesn't concern me, I sure wouldn't go believing EVERYTHING he tells ya.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2009/07/16 10:40:58

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/16 10:27:05 (permalink)
    KMP - Did you go to the Tamarack spillway and fish for muskies?  How did you do?  What did you think of the place?
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: Lake Tamarack 2009/07/16 11:05:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: D-nymph

KMP - Did you go to the Tamarack spillway and fish for muskies?  How did you do?  What did you think of the place?

He is on his way, I saw him riding his bike south earlier this week.....

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: