Edward John

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Big Fathead
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 915
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Edward John 2009/07/12 23:56:46 (permalink)
I was going to post a report about walleye fishing the last 10 days BUT I DON'T WANT TO BORE ANYONE SORRY GUYS!

This is what the EJ guys should do also!
StewFc
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 550
RE: Edward John 2009/07/14 10:36:20 (permalink)
Monday morning was rough going on the EJ. There was one guy that must have been expecting a buddy of his to be out on another boat. From what I could gather, the buddy's name must have been "Earl" as the EJ patron was calling him all day. Also, coincidence I'm sure, there was a nice chumslick along that side of the boat! Oh yeah, some perch were caught also.
jolie
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: Edward John 2009/07/22 15:18:06 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: thebear1021@yah

... I post most of the reports because I enjoy the trips and wish to share with others who care to read the reports. ..... The boat is sometime full but what better way is there to make some nice new friends and maybe catch a few Perch.

I like this post and think that when it comes to posting fishing success... those that do so, post to share their success and efforts with their friends.  If you do not have friends online (or don't want to make them), it seems to have very little reason to post anything except rude remarks, heckling and criticism; which incidentally happens far too often.

Like giving out directions to a lost stranger who asks you on the street, being willing to share a few tips to people with questions is enjoyable, good for your character and generally good sportsmanship.  IN return I have found it enjoyable to read their experiances (that is, if they haven't been so darned criticized that they don't want to post their experiences)

They is strait-up no other reason to post helpful things, or interesting things; than to make friends online.  If you find that posts from the EJ are offensive, you clearly are not trying to be friendly towards those making the posts. 
fish guts
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Edward John 2009/07/26 11:09:12 (permalink)
It is great to have a head boat in Erie I wish both were still running  I have had the capt call me and tell me he is full for the day.
I own a boat but I have a tough time taking it to erie(weather reports are hardly ever right for lake conditions ).  I have went several times with lake reports good, by the time I get there 2 hrs or so .2-4ft and wind  I end up fishing the bay.  For the locals  small boats are great.
 They charge 30.00 I can not come close to that price with gas and towing bait etc.  I would rather use my boat but somtimes the convience of their service is appealing to me and my buddies. 
The big boats are pretty stable in rough water. I would like to see more head boats.  I sure hope they make a good living at it, they deserve it.
The crew are helpful and try to help people get fish As far as a limit is concerned so what  who cares  I would like to see all these limits ate and not wasted .  I know some are the fish hogs are wasting perch.
I think the head boats are a valuable asset to Erie especially for the older fisherman and none boat owners.

Mr. Sftplstc
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: Edward John 2009/07/26 21:52:28 (permalink)
Does anyone know why they don't have headboats here for Walleye like they do over on the Western Basin in Ohio?  Before I got my boat and when I used to live in Ohio, we used to head out for Walleye and catch close to our limit usually 4 or 5.  We use to take them out for Perch in August and slay them.  Maybe someone wants to start a business with me except all the spots I know are outside Elk Creek.  Then we could earn some money to fish how fun would that be.  Here is the website of the one out of Port Clinton I use to go out on when I was younger.

http://www.wecatchfish.com/

"Not me. I'm in my prime."
BIGSLICK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1867
RE: Edward John 2009/07/26 23:16:50 (permalink)
probably cuz the western basin is a different method of fishing...Drifting and jigging. Over hear, best way is trolling. I think early in the season you could probably do some drift style fishing...

ICE NUT
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1256
RE: Edward John 2009/07/27 08:58:29 (permalink)
Mainly b/c the western basin is shallow 20 to 30 ft.with many reefs.You actuallyuse a real fishing pole say a 6ft ugly stick with a weightes spinner with a nite crawler on it.You cast it out and reel it in and actually feel the hit and the fight of the fish.its real fishing.here well we troll with riggers and boards 30 to 50 llb braided lines down 40 to 70 feet and every now and the someone checks a line and loa and behold a 10 lb walleye has bben dragged around the trenches and when you crank em in with the winch like diawa line counter reel its like a placic bag full of h20 on the surface. Couldn imagine 40 downriggers on a head boat. A little sarcasm but  also a little true
runtgetter
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 72
RE: Edward John 2009/07/27 14:30:00 (permalink)
i posted recently , using the ej as my start point.it is a resource.use it or not its a great way to start .they wont sit there drinking beer from a can not doing anything.i figure his electronics are better than mine anyway.alot of then pack sits there not doing anything just enjoying fishing.Im laid off and i eat fish, so if i spend 12 bucks on gas to get there 5 bucks trailoring my boat wear anmd tear on my vehicle thats right im looking into doing some filleting.dont give up the ship
Mr. Sftplstc
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: Edward John 2009/07/28 22:43:35 (permalink)
Well that crushes my dreams lol.  What better way to make a living then get paid to fish?  That makes sense, we use to fish drift around all the time with crawler harnesses or Erie Dearies when I lived in Ohio all year.

"Not me. I'm in my prime."
thebear1021@yah
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Edward John 2009/07/30 09:13:31 (permalink)
To all who like to complain about The Edward-John.

I received this e-mail today and here it is word for word.

Mr. Bear

" I wonder if you could forward this short message to the Fishing Reports
and also to the Forums. If so here is what I would to say. {I don't know how to do things on the computer}.

" After spending 22 years on Lake Erie and Lake Ontario in our own boat, due to age {ours not the boats} and medical reasons we had to give it up and sell the boat. In the last 2 years we have been going out on the Edward-John. Not for the fish we might bring home but to be on the water that we both love. My wife has a medical handicap but the Captain and crew provide for her in a very caring way. So let's look at the Sunset and enjoy the evening, and give thanks to the Edward-John".

{Fishunter}
Bill Hunter
BIGSLICK
Pro Angler
RE: Edward John 2009/07/31 11:42:28 (permalink)
No complaints really....Just feel like the reports page is a Big Advertisement for the EJ...If you don't have a boat and you want to catch a couple perch...Go to the North or South Pier...Probably catch just as many as on the Edward John it looks like from the Reports....Last report was 40 Anglers caught 230 Perch...Thats 6 perch/Person..or $5 a perch if you want to get technical....I think you could manage atleast 6 fishing from the piers....Just an observation, but if I can go out and get 150 Perch last night in less than an hour and a half, why is the EJ only able to get 240 with 40 people on board? Seems like an awful lot of bait down there to only catch 240 perch....And maybe the captain just aren't willing to look for them or spend the gas to get to them....They are out there...and if you are over them, it should be down and up down and up...Especially for this time of year...and it has been that way for weeks and it seems like the EJ never has a full boat of fish....
post edited by BIGSLICK - 2009/07/31 11:44:32

Blowchowski
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 577
RE: Edward John 2009/08/02 02:12:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: BIGSLICK

No complaints really....Just feel like the reports page is a Big Advertisement for the EJ...If you don't have a boat and you want to catch a couple perch...Go to the North or South Pier...Probably catch just as many as on the Edward John it looks like from the Reports....Last report was 40 Anglers caught 230 Perch...Thats 6 perch/Person..or $5 a perch if you want to get technical....I think you could manage atleast 6 fishing from the piers....Just an observation, but if I can go out and get 150 Perch last night in less than an hour and a half, why is the EJ only able to get 240 with 40 people on board? Seems like an awful lot of bait down there to only catch 240 perch....And maybe the captain just aren't willing to look for them or spend the gas to get to them....They are out there...and if you are over them, it should be down and up down and up...Especially for this time of year...and it has been that way for weeks and it seems like the EJ never has a full boat of fish....

x2
The Czar
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Edward John 2009/08/02 11:29:32 (permalink)
You ask if "anyone knows the deal" about the EJ postings. Yep - here's the deal.  Most of the postings are from "The Bear" a retired gentleman from the Pittsburgh area who loves to fish, especially for perch.  In fact he has relocated to Erie for summers and will likely relocate permanently.  Like myself, he does not have a boat of his own, so he goes out on the EJ.  I was on board when he made his 1st trip several years ago and fished right next to him.  Neither of us did well that night, but as a "veteran of the EJ" I told him not to give up but to come back again.  Boy did he ever.  He now goes out several times a week and always posts a report.  You may not enjoy reading them - then I suggest you not read them.  Having been on board for many trips myself, I can tell you that the owners and the captains and mates they use never direct anyone to make a posting on this board.  "The Bear's" postings are an accurate reflection of what went on that night - he actually surveys the boat and gets a count.  He does it for the same reason he fishes for perch and I expect for the same reason you fish -- for "fun."  His postings are often humorous accounts of what occurred on the boat.  As you have probably figured out, he has nicknames for many of those on board (I am the "scrounger" to him, "the czar" where I work) All part of his enjoyment in making the report.  There is never an attempt to brag -- yes 200 perch for 40 people is not "great" no one suggested it is - it's simply an accurate report. As far as a secret spot goes --- come on, get real -- nothing in the postings suggests the EJ has a secret spot and it is absurd to suggest that.  Obviously they go the "pack" and sometimes that "pack" goes to them. Anyone can radio the boat at anytime and I will guarantee the captian will tell you exactly where they are - where they have been - or where they are going.  In June 2005 I wandered down to the dock to see what this "Edward John" was all about.  I decided to take a trip and see - didn't catch much but I came back.  I met so many fishermen (and women) over the years that it doesn't matter how the fishing is... I have a good time. I been on the Victory many times and enjoyed myself there too.  I like other miss having the Victory out there. My appreciation goes out to the owners of both boats for providing a service to the public.  Not only are they providing a perch fishing option to those who have no boat, but they are introducing many new people to fishing.  Isn't that what its all about?
Being a boat owner is not an easy thing -- your phone is ringing all day and all night, you have to watch the weather, maintain a safe and clean boat, make sure you have bait... etc.  Also before someone out there suggests it, I am not affiliated with either boat or either owner in all way.  I just got tired of people on this forum taking pot shots at the EJ for no good reason.  I say this - if you do not like the idea of fishing on a head boat (sometimes elbow to elbow) then I suggest you not do it.  But don't demean those who do. Sorry this was so long...but felt it was worth saying. 
WaxWorm
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 134
RE: Edward John 2009/08/02 20:35:48 (permalink)
I think the EJ is a great option and safe, for people who don't have boats to get out and do some perching.
EJMISFIT8
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Edward John 2009/08/02 21:24:33 (permalink)
I just wanted to thank "CZAR" for being much more diplomatic than I could ever hope to be. The "Bear" is a friend. He doesn't hype the reports, he just makes them honestly. I couldn't catch a perch to save my life when several of the folks on the Edward John took me under their wings and showed me how to perch fish. Don't get me wrong, I caught the suicide fish that just had to have my bait. I learned the touch of the soft bites from Roy-Denny-Dominic. I learned to drag the bait from John(the captain and his son Justin) and Tobin. I have had the privilege of passing these lessons on to others that came out on the boat for the first time. I love handing my rod to someone else that is using a baseball bat and heavy tackle to let them see why some of the "ejmisfits" seem to be able to catch perch when others don't get a bite. Light tackle and Ultralight or Light action rods with braided line equals better FEEL. I even get to stand next to the Sturgeon General and his sidekick John. I haven't found a soul on this boat that won't go out of their way to help show others what to do. From the Captain John ( and his wife-Sonya) down, I can't thank my friends more for helping me to enjoy trips on the EJ and my retirement.
BIGSLICK
Pro Angler
RE: Edward John 2009/08/02 22:34:39 (permalink)
Exactly, If you don't have a boat, and don't know someone that does, the EJ is a great way to get out there and do some perch fishing. I just wish that they would try a little bit harder to put more fish in the boat for you guys that pay all that money..I have been limiting out every time I have been out the last 3 weeks or so with 120 or more fish coming over the rails of my boat. It has not been hard at all. I think that the captains should head a little more west than where they stop currently...It has been so hot, that before you even get the slack out od your line, your getting a bite. If your bait is down there for more than 10 seconds, you have a problem!!!   That's the way it should be for everyone on that big red boat......

16506fish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 433
RE: Edward John 2009/08/02 23:34:41 (permalink)
53fow off lighthouse n east has been treatn me pretty well...
Split Shot
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 891
RE: Edward John 2009/08/03 11:59:53 (permalink)
The only person that Edward John postings should matter, is Dan (FishUSA). If he considers it Advertising and he didn't allow it, he would shut it down.

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
Rodwrap
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Edward John 2009/08/03 21:17:22 (permalink)
Bear,

How many people are usually on the EJ ?

Are there any certain days she isn't real packed? I'd like to try it once with my boy...

Rodwrap
thebear1021@yah
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Edward John 2009/08/04 09:48:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Rodwrap

Bear,

How many people are usually on the EJ ?

Are there any certain days she isn't real packed? I'd like to try it once with my boy...

Rodwrap

Rodrap

Since the other Perch Boat is out of action the number of passengers on The EJ is up. It can average from 25 to 40. You might want to try an evening trip, it seems a little less packed. Good luck.

Bear
Blowchowski
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 577
RE: Edward John 2009/08/04 10:12:38 (permalink)
Why doesn't the EJ add a fishing report section to their web site? just asking??
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: Edward John 2009/08/04 10:29:46 (permalink)
"The bear is a season pass holder,I've talked with him aboard the Edward john...his reports are accurate for the most part. @ the of each trip he'll ask around to see how many fish are caught.I believe that Gary of poor richards salvaged the boat & started the trips, the boat was sold to the current owners a few years ago.A friend & I went on the ed. johns 2nd trip....we were the only 2 fares.Still went fishin don't remember how many were caught but it was a blast.230 fish for that boat is low, a slow day, but I've been out before & only caught 2 fish ( that sucked ) but my last 2 trips were 26 (mostly jumbos ) & 27 (average) fish.I know i did better than some because I've done it before.There was families & newbies aboard also ( that effects the catch rates ). It does take some time to get 30 people their limit.1st trip this year 30 people boated 780+/- fish that ain't so bad...Captain & crew are a class act, I will go with them again...the Victory has been in port, I think the Edward john is the only party boat running right know,that's why so many posts, good or bad."

Sounds to me like the "jacksprat" of the EJ!
post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2009/08/04 10:31:00

BIGSLICK
Pro Angler
RE: Edward John 2009/08/04 20:42:59 (permalink)

It is true...Fisherie does have an advertisement....

Catch more.....Perch!

Catch more than who????      The guy fishing from the shore at Beach 1???? Probably....

spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Edward John 2009/08/04 22:13:21 (permalink)
"Catch more than who????      The guy fishing from the shore at Beach 1???? Probably...."

Yup, or the guy sitting at the dock wishing he was on the lake. 

"I  just wish that they would try a little bit harder to put more fish in the boat for you guys that pay all that money."

As in?  Maybe pull up, and move even if half the boat has a fairly steady bite?
Though I have my own boat, I've enjoyed a few trips on the EJ as well. Each time the crew worked quite hard to help those who struggled. Even the "helpless".

"If your bait is down there for more than 10 seconds, you have a problem!!!   That's the way it should be for everyone on that big red boat"

Well Perch gawd. Not everyone is a "masterbaiter", such as yourself. I would say that on any given trip, 50% of the passengers are relative novices. During any given 15+ minute span, 20-30% are apt to be blissfully "fishing" a rig that has been stipped of bait, on a missed hit. Another 10% are either not intent in their fishing, or even fishing at all times. For many, it's a trip on the lake, more than fishing. As I said before. The crew does try to help those that are "struggling" ( Checking to see if they are properly rigged, baited, and on the bottom without slack ), but they can't sty on top of folks the whole trip. Let alone browbeat those who can't/won't learn. Try a nightime trip. drifting for Blues some time. You bring in a fish ( and a dozen other lines ), mate cuts all lines loose, and half never realize they are no longer rigged, but contue "fishing". Lastly. How long do you think your bite will hold if you started dropping 30-40 rigs on top of the fish you're working?

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
BIGSLICK
Pro Angler
RE: Edward John 2009/08/04 22:23:57 (permalink)
It's not hard to feel the rod getting pulled out of your hands for one, two, even the seasoned anglers aren't even limiting....Three, if everyone in a pack can limit with multiple people on the vessels and all the bait down there, why is it different for 1 boat with 40 people on it????....I welcome you to take a ride on the Big Bertha out of Conneaut, Oh...They have a full boat almost every time they come in...And it doesn't take them 7 hours either......What are they doing different????

Skip16503
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4028
RE: Edward John 2009/08/04 22:27:29 (permalink)
Bigslick  you gonna come out and play with the big boys at the one fly??

BIGSLICK
Pro Angler
RE: Edward John 2009/08/04 22:29:16 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Skip16503

I don't tie flies and I don't fly fish....Sorry....If Jigs were allowed, I would be in....

Skip16503
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4028
RE: Edward John 2009/08/04 22:29:52 (permalink)

I don't tie flies and I don't fly fish....Sorry....If Jigs were allowed, I would be in....

You can use any of my gear you want.....

BIGSLICK
Pro Angler
RE: Edward John 2009/08/04 22:41:48 (permalink)

You can use any of my gear you want.....

10-4....I did say I would be willing to cook or anything else that they need as well....

ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: Edward John 2009/08/04 22:43:24 (permalink)

It's not hard to feel the rod getting pulled out of your hands for one, two, even the seasoned anglers aren't even limiting....Three, if everyone in a pack can limit with multiple people on the vessels and all the bait down there, why is it different for 1 boat with 40 people on it????....I welcome you to take a ride on the Big Bertha out of Conneaut, Oh...They have a full boat almost every time they come in...And it doesn't take them 7 hours either......What are they doing different????

What are they doing different?  Only fishing the perch capitol of the world!  Well maybe not quite, but the perch fishing out of Conny has traditionally been among the best on Lake Erie.  Whats your beef with the Eddie J anyway?  Sounds to me like some deep rooted hatred.  A negative childhood experience perhaps? 

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: