beginner in the world of fly fishing

Author
fairj71961
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/04 12:39:14 (permalink)

beginner in the world of fly fishing

Hi everyone Im new to your forum and to fly fishing. I dont know nothing about the sport but would like to learn. I have vacation time the end of July and thinking about going up in north part of Arkansas on the White river to try it out. I need to know what the forum might suggest for a beginner. I dont want to to get real prices right now. what would you suggest in gettting started for as what kinda of rod and reel and flyies to ragged it up with..... Is there anybody on this forum that has fished the White River in Arkansas

26 Replies Related Threads

clearwater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 345
    RE: beginner in the world of fly fishing 2009/07/04 17:49:27 (permalink)
    not to sure about the river ur talkn about but if i was to tell someone what rod to get for a beginner rod you can use for just about everything it would be a 9 foot 6wt.   there are lots of brands out there that have entry level stuff i really think they are all about the same.   as for flies you cant go wrong with wollybuggers,  san juan worm, and some nymps will get you started. 
    harrypelles
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1007
    RE: beginner in the world of fly fishing 2009/07/04 20:31:56 (permalink)
    The best thing I did when starting out was to find a fly shop. Privately owned. Told the guy I was new and listened and learned. Ended up buying my first setup from the shop and struck up a customer relationship with the shop owner. He never minded giving me valuable advice and I always learned tons. A good shop owner wants you to catch fish and have a good experience as much as you do if they want you comin' back.

Other than that, maybe read the last year or so posts to the fly fishing board here.

Best of luck to you, man!
    Lipsticker2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 170
    RE: beginner in the world of fly fishing 2009/07/10 09:15:56 (permalink)
    Never made it to the White, but did fish the Little Red ALOT! The red is an awesome tailwater river. A word of warning about the tailwaters in Arkansas...Watch the river levels. If your in it when they start generating, you can be in trouble without even realizing it. My buddy had to swim across the river when he got caught on the wrong side. They sound sirens before releasing water, but you wont hear them down stream.
    A buddy used to fish the White all the time, and said it was different, but the same as the Red. Ozark Angler in Little Rock could probably help you out.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: beginner in the world of fly fishing 2009/07/13 10:49:57 (permalink)
    take me along. i'll show you the ropes

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: beginner in the world of fly fishing 2009/07/13 10:53:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: doubletaper

He will! Then he'll leave right before the big one is ready to eat!
    harrypelles
    Pro Angler
    RE: beginner in the world of fly fishing 2009/07/13 12:02:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Cold

ORIGINAL: doubletaper

He will! Then he'll leave right before the big one is ready to eat!

Did you write about that on your blog? I seem to remember a story about it...
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: beginner in the world of fly fishing 2009/07/13 12:42:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: harrypelles
    Did you write about that on your blog? I seem to remember a story about it...

Yep.

Also, to fairj...I'm not sure how big your water is, but I just picked up a real cheapy of a fly rod, an Eagle Claw Featherlight. It's a 7' 5-6wt. Just got it on the water yesterday, and it's a great rod inside 35-40'. Unless you'll really have to bang casts out there, it's a nice starter option at about $20. I wrote about my first trip with it in my blog (linked in sig). I'll have to take some more pics of the rod and (hopefully) other fish I catch with it!
    harrypelles
    Pro Angler
    RE: beginner in the world of fly fishing 2009/07/13 13:48:39 (permalink)
    My first (and only) setup is a 6wt Sage and an orvis reel. Spent over $450 that day last year. The setup is a great in-between rod for me to fish small areas (like Neshannock) and also Steel in Erie. I'd like to get something smaller though. A 3 or 4 wt. 7-1/2 ft. Running the 6wt all day in a small creek gets cumbersome. I'm just not ready to dish out another $400 for a second rig at the moment.

I'm not really concerned with some top-end reel as I mostly use it for a line storage device. It comes into play more with bigger fish (but I have that covered on my heavier setup already).

Cold, any suggestions? I don't want to go down as far as wal-mart, but don't need it to cost me a week's pay either.

What do you think of this 4wt/2piece combo (0RF2 7642)
    http://www.fishusa.com/Redington-RedFly2-Outfits_p.html

Or would you go even lighter (3wt)?

Will splurge on the line though. Especially for the smaller/delicate stuff. Have a favorite? (price not an issue)
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: beginner in the world of fly fishing 2009/07/13 14:26:34 (permalink)
    I got a 7'-9" 3 wt St. Croix Avid and LOVE the thing. MSRP for the 793-4 is, I think, $230. That's a nice chunk of change, but its nothing compared to what they want for mid-grade Orvis, Sage, etc. It's a nice moderate action and a light rod w/ single-foot guides (which I like). I've got it paired up with a Teton Tioga reel that's a little nicer than absolutely necessary, but I wouldn't call it overkill by any means. Its just a nice little reel that matches up nicely with the rod and looks great.

The Red.Fly 2 seems like a solid rod, but I steered clear of a similar setup in a 7 wt for steelhead becuase of the reel. It's a graphite reel that, IMHO, just seemed kinda bulky and klunky for the price. Will it do the job? Probably. Am I willing to pony up with a little more cash for a metal reel? Absolutely.

As far as quality flyline, I've only used a very few. I have Orvis Wonderline on my 5wt. Its a great line. Floats high, low-memory, handles well in cold weather. My biggest gripe with it is that the "welded loop" on my first one came "unwelded". Orvis replaced it, no fuss, and I was pleased with that. The new line also seems good, but its too early to tell as far as the loop. I've only had it out a handful of times, usually favoring my 3 wt.

The 3wt setup is spooled with AirFlo Ridge Line. It got a strong recommendation from a few guys I've met streamside as well as the owner of a local fly shop I frequent. After fishing with it for a few months, I recommend it as well, though I'll wait till I fish it in colder weather before I pass final judgement. In normal (40 degrees and above) fishing conditions, though, it is excellent. Very high floating, low memory, shoots well, lifts of the water easily, lands lightly...the polymers used to make it differ from standard flyline, so it doesnt see the rapid degradation that other lines do in the presence of intense UV rays, bug repellent, sunscreen, etc. It does have a tiny bit of "spray", but any standard leader will have more than this line, and because of the ridges (which aid in shootability), it tends to dirty up faster than other lines, but every 5 or so trips, just run the working portion of the line through a soapy wet paper towel, then a non-soapy one and it's back like new. Even when dirty, it performs well, the only difference is that if you're used to a clean line, it wont float quite as high, it wont be as slick, and the pickup will be a little less smooth.

As far as weights, I guess my advice, like so many, is to try a few. I think a 3 wt is just about ideal for trout around here, as well as panfish, and small bass (15" and under, any larger, and you're just along for the ride till he tuckers out). Trouble is, good luck finding a shop that'll let you borrow a rod for a weekend of fishing. You'll learn to use any setup you use enough, and I think you'd do fine with a 3. The advantage of the 4 is that it does better with the bigger, heavier, bulkier flies than a 3, but I routinely throw #8 weighted buggers with my 3 with no problems that cant be adjusted for in casting style, and if you're going to throw big stuff all day...well, use your 6!
    harrypelles
    Pro Angler
    RE: beginner in the world of fly fishing 2009/07/13 14:49:38 (permalink)
    Wow. Thanks for taking the time to go into detail answering my questions. I'm taking notes.

I read about your Wonderline experience before and the great service and return. I don't dig loop connections so that wouldn't be an issue with the fly line.

I'll probably go with a 3wt of some sort and the wonderline. Maybe stop at my local fly show and test out a few first. If I'm not completely satisfied, I'll probably blindly order the same St. Croix Avid you recommended.

Thanks again for your detailed input. From reading your blog as well as your post, I respect your opinion as a fisherman and it is really appreciated. Maybe we could meet up and fish the same stream one day.
    tank7791
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 511
    RE: beginner in the world of fly fishing 2009/07/13 14:57:50 (permalink)
    Harry when went to the neshannock i stopped at the fishing store between grove city and volant they had st croix rods on clearence. I got my self a 8ft 4wt st croix rod which only cost me 99.00 The stores name was (consumer Direct Sports Supplies ) its on veterans rd in mercer

Tight lines and happy days

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver

http://s619.photobucket.com/albums/tt277/tank7791/?firstLogin=true
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: beginner in the world of fly fishing 2009/07/13 14:58:20 (permalink)
    I'm glad I could help, but I'm by no means any kind of an expert. More like a rank amateur actually. I just figure out what works for me and go with it. Much of the knowledge I use on the stream is second hand, learned from several fly fishermen with far more experience who were kind enough to help me out, its the least I can do to pass that along. As far as any gear recommendations I make, I try to make it clear that I'm going on my experiences and ONLY my experiences. Equipment I dont like might be perfect in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, and likewise my glowing review might lose some luster if I find a superior product. That said, I won't speak highly of a product the owner of my local fly shop likes, but that I haven't tried myself. Also, I wont make a claim for a product that I havent tested myself. Many guys have less-than-stellar experiences with Wonderline, other than the loop thing, but until I see it myself, I cant justify giving it a thumbs down. I may not but it again, but that's because i'm always on the lokoout for something better, and until I can make an educated decision on what's the 'best', I like to shop around a little. For the new featherlight I got, I'm thinking of trying out the Cortland Sylk line. I used it once for a little while one afternoon and really liked it, so I feel confident getting one to try for myself, but aside from a good first impression, I cant give a solid review...yet.
    harrypelles
    Pro Angler
    RE: beginner in the world of fly fishing 2009/07/13 15:19:16 (permalink)
    Tank, never been to Consumer Direct. Actually, never heard of it 'till now. Just gave them a call and they are having a great deal on the Croix at the moment, but no 3wt. :-( Thanks for the heads up. I might find myself checking out the remaining 4wt they have at some point though.

Cold, I understand where you're coming from. Should I blindly order something and find myself with a, "This thing sucks" attitude, it's all on me. One man's trash/treasure and all that. I just started about a year ago so I'm not even sure what my preferences really are yet. The fly shop owner in Neshannock doesn't mind letting customers demo-try-before-buy, so I'll probably end up making a trip there first (since I'm there enough anyway ). I'm just asking around right now. I find your opinions valued because of the amount of detail you put in to your reviews. Holds water a little better than someone just saying something like, "Yeah, I like Product X."
    PACOFRANSICO
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 276
    RE: beginner in the world of fly fishing 2009/07/13 19:25:01 (permalink)
    I got a redington 4wt. 7'6 ft CPS. Its a great rod. I bought it for around 150 bucks. I mostly use it for natives and small trout creeks. The rods has a faster action if thats your preference. The only bad part is now they are replacing the CPS with the CPX. So they will be starting to get scarce. It's a great rod and great warranty. The 8wt. 9ft. CPS won the 2007 Reader's Choice Award for Fly Rod & Reel magazine. Like everyone says opinions are like a**holes everyone has one. It's a great little creek rod for under 150. Good Luck!

"If, when you pull a fly out you
    dont hear drums and cant smell
    chicken blood in the air, put it back
    in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
    then it can only be conjured with the
    same.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: beginner in the world of fly fishing 2009/07/13 20:43:06 (permalink)
    the redfly2 you linked is a nice rod... i have a 4pc 5iron
    but 4wt is a light as they go... and its a 2pc
    i don't like the hardware on the reel seat and the cork and grip aren't perfect for my hand... but the $ was right

my small stream setup is a T3 7'9 2wt... for line i over weighted with 3wt RIO selective trout II (previous had wonderline )
    the RIO is one of my favorite lines i have ever cast

if you are going small think about stepping up an line wt.. helps with loading up close and short
    don't be afraid to go 2 or 3... and think mid/full flex
    my 2 can bang some casts and has handled some nice fish
    harrypelles
    Pro Angler
    RE: beginner in the world of fly fishing 2009/07/14 23:16:44 (permalink)
    Well, Cold... I ended up going with another Sage. 7.5 ft. 3wt. Got the wonderline and all I can say is that it's... wonderful! Like it was manufactured from buttah! I've never been able to uncurl a line like I did tonight. I am aware it's not just the line, but the rod too. What a nice combination though.

Got it at the fly shop on Neshannock. Ended up staying at the shop well past closing time testing out rods until I was satisfied. Wasn't even a contest.

I immediately fell in love with the lighter setup. I've been used to the 9 ft 6wt and this lighter one is like tossing around silk undergarments - everything is as smooth as the wind. It's like it was reading my mind! I think a 10 hour day on a small stream for trout will be that much better/easier/"free"er with the lightweight. Although, I did hear a guy talking about is 1wt today... I think I'll be able to restrain myself from that... for now...

Oh yeah, almost forgot... The "second" trout on this rod:

It's a little blury, but from the markers on the rod, I measure it to be between 14"-15". Fun fight with such a light setup. I didn't photo the first catch tonight. I messed around with it a little too long and was afraid of it dying on me while I futzed with the picture.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: beginner in the world of fly fishing 2009/07/14 23:32:29 (permalink)
    Good stuff man!

I picked up a cheap Eagle Claw Featherlite fiberglass rod over the weekend to get a taste of what I can expect from a glass rod. Here's the first fish on the bright yellow 7' 5=6wt...

Cream caddis larva...

harrypelles
    Pro Angler
    RE: beginner in the world of fly fishing 2009/07/14 23:34:41 (permalink)
    I think I saw that fish pic from you before. Awesome fish! Interesting markings/color.
    harrypelles
    Pro Angler
    RE: beginner in the world of fly fishing 2009/07/14 23:39:39 (permalink)
    I've got to get out to a different stream with a better mixture of fish. The clone rainbows are starting to get a little numbing. An occasional brown here and there and a goldie sitting in the same spot every day refusing hundreds of attempts from everyone.

Though, there is about 1.5 miles left of the project water in Neshannock I haven't explored yet. I'm planning on taking a full day this weekend to do just that. Forcing myself to take a step downstream after each and every toss. Unless of course I hit a motherload hole or something...
    harrypelles
    Pro Angler
    RE: beginner in the world of fly fishing 2009/07/14 23:40:51 (permalink)
    With the caddis larva - you just current drifting it or did you weight it too?
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: beginner in the world of fly fishing 2009/07/15 00:19:38 (permalink)
    Very, very slow, low, clear water. Weightless, drift to desired depth, then pulled up and against current near the fish.
    harrypelles
    Pro Angler
    RE: beginner in the world of fly fishing 2009/07/15 00:30:40 (permalink)
    fairj71961, any progress in your conquest lately?

Cold, thanks for the info. Neshannock has been really low and clear lately. Your info for the slow areas is one more bullet in my box now.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: beginner in the world of fly fishing 2009/07/20 19:53:18 (permalink)

Well, Cold... I ended up going with another Sage. 7.5 ft. 3wt. Got the wonderline and all I can say is that it's... wonderful! Like it was manufactured from buttah! I've never been able to uncurl a line like I did tonight. I am aware it's not just the line, but the rod too. What a nice combination though.

Got it at the fly shop on Neshannock. Ended up staying at the shop well past closing time testing out rods until I was satisfied. Wasn't even a contest.

I immediately fell in love with the lighter setup. I've been used to the 9 ft 6wt and this lighter one is like tossing around silk undergarments - everything is as smooth as the wind. It's like it was reading my mind! I think a 10 hour day on a small stream for trout will be that much better/easier/"free"er with the lightweight. Although, I did hear a guy talking about is 1wt today... I think I'll be able to restrain myself from that... for now...

Oh yeah, almost forgot... The "second" trout on this rod:

It's a little blury, but from the markers on the rod, I measure it to be between 14"-15". Fun fight with such a light setup. I didn't photo the first catch tonight. I messed around with it a little too long and was afraid of it dying on me while I futzed with the picture.

THose are nice rods.
    You almost nees one of those little, almost weightless, barstock, skeleton of a reel to balance it all. With a very light reel, that particular rod feels magical.
    harrypelles
    Pro Angler
    RE: beginner in the world of fly fishing 2009/07/20 23:04:35 (permalink)
    Yes, magical is a good word. It feels like it takes almost no effort to do anything with it. Doesn't cast a mile, but it feels nice.
    270wbmag
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 347
    RE: beginner in the world of fly fishing 2009/07/21 09:58:13 (permalink)
     new to board also, read it alot though, i will show  you how to catch fish on nymphs, caught over 500 past 2 years, retired so lots of time..let me know, i live in north central pa, lots of nice streams that still have lots of trout..email or reply if interested..release all fish..
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: beginner in the world of fly fishing 2009/07/21 10:52:09 (permalink)

Yes, magical is a good word. It feels like it takes almost no effort to do anything with it. Doesn't cast a mile, but it feels nice.

Yup, my Avid is the same way. In the rough draft I have for my eventual review of the rod, I comment that if a good rod will obey your every command while casting, a great rod doesn't need to be told what to do, and seems to cast itself. My 3 wt does that.
    Jump to: