tying leader to fly line

Author
slimyrock
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 118
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/01 20:37:14 (permalink)

tying leader to fly line

This spring I bought a fly rod outfit for the first time. Its an 8 wt. Well now, after some brutal punishment trying to develope a cast I would like to replace the leader, it has several wind knots in it.  The leader I bought has a loop in the butt end.  With out sounding too dumb, how do I attach this to the fly line.  Never did this before, and I think the leader that came with the outfit was attached with a nail knot.

Some days it just doesn't pay to chew your way out of the restraints.

19 Replies Related Threads

fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: tying leader to fly line 2009/07/01 21:35:20 (permalink)
    buy a loop at walmart in the flyfishing section it looks like
    one of those chinese sorry for the spelling finger toys and has shrink tube with it.slip on the shrink tube than work your fly line into the net looking loop as you compress it the line will slid in easier as you pull it it compresses on the line once the line is in it fairly deep slid over the shrink tube and work a lighter all around the tube to shrink it tight to your fly line.hope this helps

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: tying leader to fly line 2009/07/01 21:39:48 (permalink)
    cut the leader 5in below the nail knot and tie a perfection loop

then attach the new leader with the loop to loop connection
    slimyrock
    Avid Angler
    RE: tying leader to fly line 2009/07/01 21:59:49 (permalink)
    Did anyone ever use the Castwell knot, its kind of like a sheeps beend for connecting the loop on the leader to the fly line.

post edited by slimyrock - 2009/07/01 22:00:29

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: tying leader to fly line 2009/07/01 23:09:48 (permalink)
    i'd rather not be cutting up my line head

if it ain't broke... don't fix it
    loop to loop

fly line----nail knot---- 30lb amnesia---- perfection loop--- loop to loop---- leader
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1058
    RE: tying leader to fly line 2009/07/02 00:37:20 (permalink)
    amen w/loop to loop, I try to keep them small

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: tying leader to fly line 2009/07/02 08:34:57 (permalink)
    Do what KJH suggests.
    Not all leader manufacturers use the same butt diameter so if the new leader has a larger diameter butt(which is usually stated on the package) then learn to tie a nail knot.
    The one thing I don't like about the connectors that fishenfoll46 mentions is that they develop a hinge, not as delicate in presentation and also that the braids are subject to damage by abrasion. If you don't fish often, it's not a bad way to go. If you go that route, superglue above and below the heat shrink tubing and at the point where the flyline tip bottoms out in  the contraption.  
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: tying leader to fly line 2009/07/02 10:29:29 (permalink)
    if you're going to use a looped leader why not just use a loop at he end of the fly line?
    i still like using a braided loop or factory loop on the end of my fly line. in this way i can change different tapered leaders when i'm out on the waters. i fish many situations sometimes with the same fly line. if i'm dry fly fishing i usualy use a 9' leader but when streamer fishing i'll go to a 6' 1/2" to 7' leader because it's easier to roll cast.
    i found that most guys i find on the stream do not know what a handshake loop-loop connection is. this has less bulk in the loop connection.

handshake knot connection= put the fly line loop inside your tapered leader loop first. then put the end of the tippet through the fly line loop and tighten down. it's easy and you can switch leaders quickly. i don't think it hampers the cast that much.
    you do have to check the braided loop occasionally for abbrasions but if you keep the braided loop out of the tip top when bringing fish in, it won't fray as quick.
    of course if you use longer than a 9' leader you may not have a choice than to bringing the loops through the tip top when getting the fish to hand.
    just my 2cents or whatever the price of thought is now-a-days! ~dt

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: tying leader to fly line 2009/07/02 10:38:05 (permalink)
    i use the castwell knot on several of my lines.  it's a very good knot, strong and easy to tie.  i also use a nail kot and the loop to loop.  and i hate the chinese loop things.

of these, i like the nail knot best if i don't plan on changing leaders often.  the connection slides through the guides the easiest and has the least hinge effect.  i also like to coat the knot with goop or some other flex adhesive.  the only draw back is evernutally the flyline cracks at the base of the knot and needs re-tied.

next i like the castwell knot.  this is becoming mt go to set up, it's eassy and quick to tie so changing leaders often is no issue.  it uses very little line, about an inch at most, when tied right. again very strong knot (to test it the 1st time i basically grabbed the flyline and pulled as hard as i could, the 1x tippet broke.  it also flows through the guide fairly well, actually depends on how good of a perfection loop you tie.  very little hinge effect with this also.  also i have not had any issues with the flyline cracking at the knot. i do not coat the knots with this set-up

i still have 1 line with the loop to loop and this will be converted to the castell next leader change.  the set-up is bulky and does not go through the eyes well at all and has a very pronounced hinge effect. so because of this i'm phasing it out.

hope this helps, as this is just my experiences and opinion.  take it for what it's worth.
    TMealy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: tying leader to fly line 2009/07/02 13:39:13 (permalink)
    I've had success with the method suggested in the 'Curtis Creek Manifesto' - Use a piece intermediate monofiliment (About #25 or so) ~8 inches long, tie a perfection loop in one end of it, and tie the other end to your fly line with a nail knot.  Just attach the looped leader to the loop in your intermediate!  I think that this works better than the finger-trap thingies, and I've never had the line in the intermediate piece break.   I am still a novice, though.
    slimyrock
    Avid Angler
    RE: tying leader to fly line 2009/07/02 16:14:17 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the responses.  I can see that evryone has their favorites.  Being a beginner, with one rod, I think I,ll experiment with the Castwell knot.  My fly line doesn"t have a loop or I would go with the loop to loop.  Maybe when I get some new line I',, buy one that has a loop on it.    Thanks again.

FishingBoz
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: tying leader to fly line 2009/07/03 11:11:36 (permalink)
    You can also make a loop in your fly line using fly tying thread. Loop the end of the fly line back on itself and wrap thread over the crossed part of the line. I usually wrap about 3/4 of an inch or so covering the end of the fly line well. I use a bright colored thread sometimes to act as a built in strive indicator and I usually cover the thread with Zap-A-Gap or some other flexible glue.
    clearwater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 345
    RE: tying leader to fly line 2009/07/03 18:38:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: KJH807

i'd rather not be cutting up my line head

if it ain't broke... don't fix it
    loop to loop

fly line----nail knot---- 30lb amnesia---- perfection loop--- loop to loop---- leader

ill second using the amnesia its works great also gives you a way to see your line (if you use red) have all my fly lines.. its also very cheap to do.
    JM2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: tying leader to fly line 2009/07/05 21:33:56 (permalink)

I may be a little old fashion, but I still use a foot long Mono butt section, nail knotted to the fly line. This butt section should be a little larger than the diameter of the butt end of your leader, normally around 30-40# test. The heavy Mono section will help in the transfer of energy from the fly line to the leader during the cast.
    From the Mono butt section I then use a blood knot to attach the leader.

I generally use a 9 foot 5x tapered leader to start with, and rebuild with a 3x section back down to 5x, as needed with blood knot. One tapered leader will last me a pretty long time by continuing to rebuild it. I'm not a fancy custom or formula leader guy, I just replace what I feel is missing.

By not really changing my leader very often, the Mono butt section will more than last the life of the fly line.

You can buy a tool to help you tie the nail knot for a few dollars. Makes the task very easy if you limit the Mono wraps to 4.

Just as a side note, if you're just learning to fly cast. A lighter weight rod would help you develop a better casting stroke and be less fatiguing, which will cause a bad casting stroke.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: tying leader to fly line 2009/07/05 23:59:22 (permalink)
    I'm suprised that nobody has brought up the not-a-knot connectors. Thses are little pins that stick into the end of the fly line (Pain to install) and once they are in they are in for good, they have little barbs that stick out and hold fast. then all you have to do is either cut the loop off the end of you fly line and use a clinch knot (easy to remove) or just use a loop knot. I almost always use those things (for 40 some years) since I can't really tie the complex knots anymore.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: tying leader to fly line 2009/07/06 09:25:39 (permalink)
    After using every gaget that came down the pike for 45 years and I mean every gaget, I went back to tying the leader directly to the line with a nail knot. Now that I'm retired I even started tying my leaders again , gives me something to do over the winter. I found out that all those knots and gagets attached to the connection of line and leader are at one time or another going to cause a problem going through the guides. Personaly I don't think the hinge connection with a loop to loop ( and I've used them for years ) is the best way to go. I feel you lose something in transfering that transition of power from the line to the leader. I have also had problems with the loops , knots or what ever getting caught in the guides of my rod tip. I have even pulled a foot of a guide out of its wraping after years of using the loop to loop system. I guess its called impatience when the fish are rising all over and you only have a few minutes to fish. Anyhow I went back to the nail knot and if done right, you get a very good transition of power and you don't lose that much of your fly line if your carefull. By tying my own leaders I can build them any way I want then just replace the section that needs to be replaced.

There will be days when fishing is better than ones optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    **Roderick Haig-Brown
    slimyrock
    Avid Angler
    RE: tying leader to fly line 2009/07/07 20:21:20 (permalink)
    Just wanted to say thanks again for the info.  Been trying to keep up with it.  Oh ya JM2 I might try to find a used 5 wt, that 8 wt isn't the best teacher in the world I guess.  But I'll keep trying.  Got a 14 inch LMB on a streamer last week.  Pretty nice.

FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: tying leader to fly line 2009/07/17 23:18:52 (permalink)
    Try the plastic leader links. I've had one on for 2 years now, many many steelhead, never had one fail. I use a 7.5 foot leader, 3 feet tippet. When
    the leader gets too short, I put a new one on, takes about a minute.

A Fishusa competitor, starts with Ca, has them for 2.99. Size 3-6,
    or 7-10.   Also another competitor, initials B P S, has them, same price.
    post edited by FiveMilePete - 2009/07/17 23:29:12
    harrypelles
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1007
    RE: tying leader to fly line 2009/07/18 01:50:56 (permalink)
    Very educational thread.
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 982
    RE: tying leader to fly line 2009/07/18 11:08:08 (permalink)
    I'm kind of surprised no one uses a needle knot. I think its probably similar to the nail knot but i think it makes a smoother connection.

I use a decent size needle threaded in from the bottom up about a 1/4 inch. I then use about a 7 1/2 foot tapered leader and thread the small end thru the fly line so the small end comes out on the bottom of the fly line. I pull the leader material thru till i get to the point where the leader butt end is similar in size to the fly line then use 1/2 of a uni knot to tie the leader butt onto the fly line. If i have any pliobond glue around i then put a little bid over the connection to try and make it as smooth as possible.

Once the leader material gets to short i just attach a really small swivel to the leader and tie tippit to that. I know that wouldn't work for dry fly fishing but i only fly fish for steelies.
    Jump to: