chumming for carp

Author
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2074
  • Reward points: 0
2009/06/29 10:44:54 (permalink)

chumming for carp

ive been trying to get the hang of chumming up carp for a couple years w limited success. i usually carp fish local ponds and i know theres tons of carp in them. i usually fish w corn and throw in about 3/4 of a can of corn into a shallow flat that ive seen carp at before,and then throw my bait in the same area. im starting to think im not using nearly enough corn and im not waiting long enough to throw my bait in. i almost always leave my bait in for at least two hours. should i be dumping in like 20lb of corn the night before i plan to fish? or is chumming a relatively small amount right before i fish also productive? should i see carp before i chum and throw it in front of their general path? the most carp ive ever caught in one day is two... ive also been trying smaller hooks, but if theres no carp at your corn a size 20 hook wont do u any good ne way( i havent been using size 20, more like a 12). any tips would of course be greatly appreciated. carp haters need not reply

16 Replies Related Threads

gambler
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: chumming for carp 2009/06/29 12:27:27 (permalink)
    Where are you from???
    You should check the regs. to make sure you are allowed to chum.
    pacarper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 463
    RE: chumming for carp 2009/06/29 12:50:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: FishinGuy

ive been trying to get the hang of chumming up carp for a couple years w limited success. i usually carp fish local ponds and i know theres tons of carp in them. i usually fish w corn and throw in about 3/4 of a can of corn into a shallow flat that ive seen carp at before,and then throw my bait in the same area. im starting to think im not using nearly enough corn and im not waiting long enough to throw my bait in. i almost always leave my bait in for at least two hours. should i be dumping in like 20lb of corn the night before i plan to fish? or is chumming a relatively small amount right before i fish also productive? should i see carp before i chum and throw it in front of their general path? the most carp ive ever caught in one day is two... ive also been trying smaller hooks, but if theres no carp at your corn a size 20 hook wont do u any good ne way( i havent been using size 20, more like a 12). any tips would of course be greatly appreciated. carp haters need not reply

What?  We have carp haters on here?

The answers to your questions are dependent on several factors-----location, time of year/day, size/kind of water, weather etc, etc.  There's no one absolute right answer.  Location is always the most important factor-----find the fish or where you know or think the fish will be and that's usually more than half the battle. 
    You say you're fishing ponds so I'm guessing that means smaller waters-----less than 100 acres?  In general, the larger the water water=more chum.  Always can be exceptions tho.

The simplest/cheapest bait most carpers use is shelled field corn soaked and/or boiled in water to soften it up some------cheaper than canned corn for mass/long term baiting, but a little work. 
    Lately when preparing hard corn, I've been bringing a big pot (20 quart) half full of H2O to a rapid boil first, then dump several cups of corn let come back to a boil for a bit, then dump several more cups in and let in boil for a while longer (no longer than an hour boil time usually needed).  Then turn off heat and dump in a few more cups of corn, stir and let cool.  Add water to keep corn covered as it swells.  I dump the corn in, in stages, so I get a mixture of softer and harder corn.  I also like to dump some smaller particle/seeds in the mix when boiling------hard wheat, bird seeds, etc.  When cool enough, dump into bucket(s) (I usually make 5 gal. at a time) or cooler and you're good to go.  That's just one way to do it-------lots of options to bait preparation.
    Some guys like to take the boiled corn and run it through a hand-cranked grinder right on shore (or beforehand) and make what some call meilie bom, which is just another term for corn packbait.  Ya can take the ground corn and pack it around your baited hook and once in the water the pack will breakdown and give the carp a bigger target to hone in on and hopefully get them feeding and pick up your hookbait eventually-----an overbait/underbait system.  Lots of other packbaits/groundbaits that can be made from various ingredients like oats and soybean meal too-----these can be used fishing or chumming.

Some carpers like to bait a likely fishing spot(s) for a few days and then top off the bait as ya start catching, the day ya fish.  Sometimes it may not be necessary to pre-bait or an area may already be baited for ya-----where people feed the ducks.  All depends on the conditions you're fishing.

There's various other things that can be used for chumming, like squeezed, balled up slices of bread (can get it cheap at a bread outlet store) so it sinks and the **** waterfowl can't get at it as easy.  Tons of other bait/chum available for carp at grain/feed stores------the options are endless----just gotta experiment and find a baiting system that works for ya.
    kastmasterpro
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 272
    RE: chumming for carp 2009/06/29 20:00:50 (permalink)
    heres what I do:
    1. toss a can of corn spread aout and let sit for 20-30 minutes (i fish for bass while waiting)
    2. then I use a special bait bait I use that catches carp like no other

P.S.-      P.M. me for the secret bait because anyone can make it and it works amazing and stays on the hook easily

can't wait til the steelies run again! get to say the best two words put together in fishing "fish on!"
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: chumming for carp 2009/06/29 20:07:16 (permalink)

P.S.-      P.M. me for the secret bait because anyone can make it and it works amazing and stays on the hook easily

Bet ya my baits are more durable and will out slaughter anything you have ......

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    clearwater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 345
    RE: chumming for carp 2009/06/29 22:08:29 (permalink)
    not shure what the name of the dought ball it is ill have to see when i get it next. it comes dry and you have to mix it with the water from the place ur fishing (thats what it says on the bag) and i do.    it works great fot carp as bait or chum when it FALLS if ur hook when it hits the water.  there is a bunch of differnt flavors.   its just very very hard to keep on the hook, would be great 4 lakes or ponds..
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: chumming for carp 2009/06/30 06:31:32 (permalink)
    clearwater, next time try making "spawnsacks" out of mesh material when using that bait. the mesh allows the bait to stay on the hook while letting the flavor & smell ooze out. I also use that method to use chicken liver for cats. Works for me.  sam
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: chumming for carp 2009/06/30 12:37:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kastmasterpro

heres what I do:
    1. toss a can of corn spread aout and let sit for 20-30 minutes (i snag some bass while waiting)
    2. then I use a big hook that catches carp like no other
    3. wait till the fish swims over the big hook then pull hard
    P.S.-      P.M. me for the secret hook because anyone can find it and it works amazing and stays in the fish no matter where(belly, tail, ect)
    blank stare/
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: chumming for carp 2009/06/30 13:58:32 (permalink)
    Funny stuff.
    post edited by Pork - 2009/06/30 14:02:03

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    RE: chumming for carp 2009/06/30 17:48:56 (permalink)
    thanks alot for the info carper, that field corn does seem like alot of work though. does it float if you dont boil it or something? cuz if it doesnt, how about throwing in a few pounds of dry stuff and coming back the next day w a $.50 can of corn from the dollar store for your hook? i mostly fish twin lakes, mamoth park lake, and BY park lake. usually while blue gill fishing for flathead bait :)
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    RE: chumming for carp 2009/06/30 18:03:12 (permalink)
    thanks alot for the info carper, that field corn does seem like alot of work though. does it float if you dont boil it or something? cuz if it doesnt, how about throwing in a few pounds of dry stuff and coming back the next day w a $.50 can of corn from the dollar store for your hook? i mostly fish twin lakes, mamoth park lake, and BY park lake. usually while blue gill fishing for flathead bait :)

LOL duud you need to prep the stuff (FYI it isn't alot of work ), you know what happens when birds eat dried rice.....if the carp eats enough of the dry corn it SWELLS in their stomachs and then you know what happens.....

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: chumming for carp 2009/06/30 18:47:47 (permalink)
    In all seriousness if you are trying to catch bluegills as well. try some oats and cream corn and mix it up and make balls of it to throw in.Its fast not very expensive and the bluegills love it also. If you just throw a little near the shore the bluegills will tear it up.Field corn is easy to make. Just soak it in a bucket for 2 days then boil till soft which is around 30 minutes.

I don't overchum the night before. If I know I am fishing in a few days I will bait very heavy. It will hold them around that area some. While fishing little and often will draw more and more fish into your area instead of just dumping out a lot all at once. Carp will eat it all so don't feel you chum too much a few days before. Its perfectly legal as well no matter what anyone tells you. Theonly time its illegal is if you cover the entire bottom which you would need a front end loader to put that much in. lol
    kastmasterpro
    Expert Angler
    RE: chumming for carp 2009/06/30 22:20:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mountian Man

Bet ya my baits are more durable and will out slaughter anything you have ......

Yeah but mine is found in most peoples houses and is affordible on any budget

can't wait til the steelies run again! get to say the best two words put together in fishing "fish on!"
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    RE: chumming for carp 2009/06/30 23:07:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kastmasterpro

ORIGINAL: Mountian Man

Yeah but mine is found in most peoples houses and is affordible on any budget

When did HNV Boilies , a 50lb feed sack of Maize, and Tigernuts become unaffordable?????
    post edited by Mountian Man - 2009/06/30 23:09:08

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    kastmasterpro
    Expert Angler
    RE: chumming for carp 2009/06/30 23:11:16 (permalink)
    Well I don't know where to buy them. And fine I'll give away the secret, two pieces of bread together with peanut butter in the middle to hold the hook in. Sounds so basic but when you can get 3 carp in 27 minutes your doing pretty good

pacarper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 463
    RE: chumming for carp 2009/07/01 00:06:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: FishinGuy

It is a little work, but I think boiling the corn to soften it a bit makes it more attractive to the fish.  Plus ya get more out of a 50 lb. sack of corn if ya boil it.  To make it simpler, you can just fill a bucket half-full of dry corn and just dump boiling water over it and let it cook in a covered bucket as well.  Some people just soak it in water, but don't leave it soak too long (more than a few days) or ya will end up with a stinky mess. 
    Now, if ya add some sugar to boiled corn (ya can flavor it as well) and let it set for a few days it will start to ferment and ya will get some corn liquor going in the process.  I've found that carp will more readily pick up your hook bait if ya get them a little drunk first.

Now I've heard of dry corn being dumped in, and I'm talkin' sacks of the stuff dumped right in the water.  Some say it's bad for the fish, but that's just speculation.  So I speculate it is not bad for the carp that way, so ya should be OK, just don't over due it------it's hard to overdue it anyways, unless you're fishing a small pond.  The dry stuff could be bad for other species of fish, but I doubt that too.  The stuff doesnt swell much, unless boiled, so.......

So ya should be OK with throwin' in a few ponds of dry stuff, it will sink just fine, usually------ give it a try.

One plus of using the corn hard is the crunch factor----some carpers like to add something crunchy to their bait.  Carp have teeth in the back of their throats for crushing food items like snails and mussels.  One theory is that the crunching sound of feeding carp will attract more carp, so crunchy dry corn has it's place.
    I've actually caught carp on corn nuts, but they float, so not good for chumming, unless they are feeding off the top.  I prefer keeping most of the corn nuts for myself tho.

I betcha some didn't know there was so many uses for field corn, besides tic-tacin' houses during halloween.
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: chumming for carp 2009/07/01 00:09:58 (permalink)
    Kastmasterpro a lot of the baits for carp fishing the ones you don't hear about often really are not too expensive.The problem is the bulk amounts and storing them. I get oats in 50lb bags for around $17.I myself have around 500+lbs of different feeds in the garage for different mixes I make but I fish a lot so getting bulk is cost effective for me. Saves a ton of money in the long run but most people don't want to purchase bulk. Even home made boilies can be made for rooughly $2-3 a pound but may not be as affective as a name brand since the ingredients differe.
    Jump to: