Boo rods

Author
tank7791
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 511
  • Reward points: 0
2009/06/27 08:21:16 (permalink)

Boo rods

Looking to buy a bamboo rod, I've been looking at ebay and have found alot of rods being listed, I'm looking for 4wt and they have many to choose from, my question is what should i be looking for in a boo rod, some say split and others say inpregnated whats the difference? thanks to all in advance   
                                                                                     tank              

Tight lines and happy days

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver

http://s619.photobucket.com/albums/tt277/tank7791/?firstLogin=true

12 Replies Related Threads

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: Boo rods 2009/06/27 10:19:26 (permalink)
    Ebay is a crap shoot. Many of those rods are cut down from old classics. Also, what one considers a 4wt may be a 6wt to someone else. Another word of caution. Make sure the rod comes with at least a 3 day, no questions asked return policy. Most respectable sellers offer this.
    And, some of the new cheaper imported rods have been coming up with issues. Mainly glue and fit related.

To answer your other questions, bamboo, hex, split bamboo, split cane. All the same.

And, "Impregnated rods" use a process that bakes in resins to make it permanently water proof so they don't rely on varnish to seal out moisture. Most older Orvis rods are impregnated. Some (dull) impregnated rods are still varnished for looks.

What length are you looking for? For a 4wt, I wouldn't go over 7 1/2 foot.

Price range?

Some of the refinished pre 50's production rods have tiny guides because the silk lines that they were made to handle has a much smaller diameter than todays plastic lines. You can still cast modern lines with those guides but you won't be able to shoot as much line.

If you haven't yet fished a bamboo rod, Stay away from full working designs. Find something in a medium to medium fast taper.

If you're interested in a particular rod, let me know. I'd be willing to give you my thoughts on it.

tank7791
    Expert Angler
    RE: Boo rods 2009/06/27 11:09:34 (permalink)
    Never fished a bamboo rod, I saw some cheap prices and they cough my eye, but dont know too much about them, I know the goods ones are high in price. I would like to get a rod for trout and not break the bank. What would be a good rod at a fair price? Granted i've been fly fishing for quite some time now and have a good setup for stealhead after many lower end rods I found one that worked good for me. I was gonna get a clearwater for trout until i saw the prices that they had for bamboo.  This i what i saw that got my attention I guess that it is a zhus rod never heard of it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-split-bamboo-fly-rod-70-4-with-2-piece-2-tips_W0QQitemZ170348211040QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27a98b6b60&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A4%7C294%3A50

dano
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boo rods 2009/06/27 12:36:43 (permalink)

"This i what i saw that got my attention I guess that it is a zhus rod never heard of it"

Yes, Zhu's rods are made in China and some in the States. They seemed to have resolved some of the issues from sloppiness of planing and gluing up the 6 strips to curved tips.  Of course, you never know when that particular rod you are looking at was made.
    There are other companies that sell or distribute Zhu's rods and blanks.
    They go by the names of
    Headwaters
    Duluth
    Tea Stick
    Elkhorn
    Highland Mills

When I see new boo rods at such cheap prices, I wonder about craftsmanship. Do the builders have to put quantity over quality to make a decent buck? Can they afford to scrap a finished rod that has a flaw or do they try to mask the mistake with hopes that the boo newbie (that's whom their market is aimed at) is not experienced enough to detect it?

If you don't already have a nice trout rod that you are happy with, I'd stick to graphite or glass. But that's my opinion.
    If you are curious about boo, see me at Jacks "One Fly" I can bring some rods.
    If you can't wait, look for a guy who buys and modernizes those old H-I Tonka Prince and Tonka Princess. He sells mostly one-tippers on Ebay at a reasonable price.  

Oh,,,,Lake Erie Ultimate Angler has some boo rods in stock from a local builder. Not sure of the price.

post edited by dano - 2009/06/27 12:39:06
    tank7791
    Expert Angler
    RE: Boo rods 2009/06/27 14:00:14 (permalink)
    I'm in no rush to go out and buy the first thing that i see, being a "newbie" i want to learn what i'm looking for in a boo rod i have no problem waiting for a good buy on a good rod, I'll check out what steve has at his shop being i buy all my equipment from him. I've seem that bamboo rod there and i think that he wanted 12 for it.  Thanks dano for your insite and wisdon on this subject also is oil creek doing any good now or is it all over there.
                                                                               tank

dano
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boo rods 2009/06/27 15:35:30 (permalink)
    Oil creek is only fishing early in the morning unless we get some cool weather.

Keep an eye on the "classified" section on this forum. Once in a while there is a great deal and a return policy on everything listed.
    http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/

Here's a couple short H-I rods on the market. Tonka prince and tonka queen. Both are very good starter rods.

http://www.fdlyons.com/other1.html
    http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1wz7o/bamboomike1.html 
    razmatazz05
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1856
    RE: Boo rods 2009/07/01 17:08:39 (permalink)
    i got one on ebay this past winter.  (nevermind, i'll try to post pics tomorrow, there's pics of it in my blog, linked below)  spent $125 or so.  definately not near top of the line, but i wanted to get a cheaper one that i could check out.  definately a lot different to cast.  got a 4 weight 6.5 foot Otter Creek.  otter creek is a complete no-name, but i like it.  it's fun to hook a good sized trout on it, it bends the whole way through the rod.  not sure what action it is, but its more "whispy" than anything i've used before.  i've swung buggers on it, done nymphs, egg patterns, cant wait to use it for small dry fly streams this summer.  like dano posted the clarkclassic forum is packed full of information.  i also came across an old fly rod at a garage sale for $6.  not currently in working order, not sure if i want to put in the $ to make it workable when it was only $6 to begin with. 

"Good Luck"

Thanks for the usage of your forum. My Money will not go to your tackle shop.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Boo rods 2009/07/02 18:58:27 (permalink)
    Razz,
    That 6 dollar rod may (or may not) be something worthwhile. I bought an old bamboo rod at a yard sale a few years ago that looked like a piece of crap. But it turned out to be a rod by a very famous builder. I restored it and donated it to the PSA and I believe Glenn won it. It was about an 1897 model. Are there any markings or writing on your $6 rod?

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    razmatazz05
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boo rods 2009/07/02 21:38:33 (permalink)
    i did a little research on it.  i believe it's a lower level model.  montague or something... 

"Good Luck"

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Boo rods 2009/07/03 00:14:41 (permalink)
    Monteague made rods that ranged from the really bad (blue sky); to the Red Wing which is actually a pretty fine rod. The Rapidans are nice in the lighter weights, And even a mt Tom in a light weight can be nice. The biggest problem with the Monteagues were the ferrules and the guides, both need replaced before the rod can be used. And sometimes the reel seat and the cork is bummed too. but they can be re-built and improved.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    razmatazz05
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boo rods 2009/07/03 07:34:39 (permalink)
    the reel seat is blue, so i'm guessing it was replaced at one time.  the furrels are messed up, couldn't even get the pieces together, and the guides are small, prob from the old silk lines.  i'll take a closer look next time i'm over my parents to see what model it is.

"Good Luck"

flyfishindave
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 659
    RE: Boo rods 2009/07/03 08:11:10 (permalink)
    indy the rod you built me is a great midge rod & I can not wait for the tricos to start, it throws a 3 weight a lot better than a 4 weight for me. I would post a picture for every one to see it but have never got that part to work so no pics.
    FishingBoz
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Boo rods 2009/07/03 11:03:28 (permalink)
    I'll second the recommendation of the HI Princess. I bought a refurbished one from a local (Pittsburgh area) guy that refinishes bamboo rods for about $150. It is a great rod for small creeks and dry flies. Much softer action than most modern rods but casts like a dream. You can usually check some of his rods out at Hoey's fly shop if you get down this way.
    Jump to: