Nick's

Author
Hunter25
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 77
  • Reward points: 0
2009/06/23 07:37:59 (permalink)

Nick's

So I am driving the other day and I happened to go past the old Nick's Field and Stream in Schenectady. This place has been closed for like the last 2 years. I look over and see the front door open and people inside. They finally opened back up. Hopefully they will be able to stay open. I can remember going in there as a kid. So much for driving all the way out to Wiggly's or up to the Helderberg shop. Both good shops, but a pain to get to when you are travelling the opposite direction to go ice fishing or out for walleyes..........

4 Replies Related Threads

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Nick's 2009/06/25 11:02:52 (permalink)
    Wow- that's awesome...

I grew up in Niskayuna (in the 70s and 80s) and used to cruise over to Nicks Field & Stream nearly every evening after football practice during my high school days.  I used to fish a great farm pond up in Pattersonville (religously, every night) and stopped at Nick's for shiners or anything else I needed.

I was wondering what happened to that place- that guy was always super cool to us as kids.

My best memory of Nicks? Well, since the shop was located on a pretty steep hill, it was a great destination for a guy who owned a pretty crappy 1979 MG Midget his senior year.  The electronics in that thing were such garrbage that the starter would never engage reliably (positive ground in those British tubs).  So we'd always pull a U-turn in front of Nicks and park across the street.  We'd go in, get our bait, then hop in the MG (Bo and Luke Duke-style, of course) disengage the parking brake and roll down the hill...

Once we got going good, we'd drop the gearbox in 2nd, release the clutch and off we'd go towards Route 5S and Pattersonville!  I went back to check on that pond years ago and was crushed to find it has since been filled in.

We used to find some really nice bass in that old pond...  Sad how times change, but it is nice to see an new/old shop open it's doors again.  It must be a tough way to make a living...  If there was any money in bait and tackle sales I think we'd all be doing it, huh?

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    Hunter25
    Novice Angler
    RE: Nick's 2009/06/25 13:04:40 (permalink)
    No doubt! Did you ever hit the Blatnick Park pond back in those days? Someone used to drop a few large and smallies in there every weekend they had a good day. We would go ride our bikes or whatever over and just fish the hell out of it. Believe it or not, we caught some big ones. One can never forget those trips to Nicks on our way to the Watervliet res., you know that palce that has been posted for decades off of 20. We used to get our bait and hammer stream heading into the res all day long. Man those were the days.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Nick's 2009/06/25 13:55:12 (permalink)
    Heck, I remember Blatnick Park before it even existed!

I used to be a paperboy for the "Schenectady Gazette" (before it became "The Daily") and the Blatnick family was on my route in Avon Crest.  After the Olympics, they even changed the name of their street to "Blatnick Way".

Pretty funny stuff.  They are really cool people though.

I caught my share of fish from Blatnick Park as a kid, but the Lisha Kill was the real hidden Nisky gem in my opinion.  I still smile when I think about the sumer afternoons spent in those woods off Rt 7 as a kid.

I still sneak over to the Nisky/Colonie border to taunt some of those brookies and browns.  I am not so sure people even know it is a trout stream.  The section that flows under Rt 7 (near the Holy Redeemer Cemetary and Jackson's Toro) is mainly slow water with some bass- but the 'upper sections' between Route 7 and Consaul Road holds some nice trout, and I tend to think the holdover is good in that stream.

Sadly, good access to those 'hidden sections' requires inside knowledge only gleened from hours of pain and toil as a ten year old, and many of my favorite trails as a kid have since overgrown and are long gone.  But I still go back every now and then anyway.  Some days I would give anything for an old Mitchell spinning reel and a ziplock of WonderBread.  Man, we sure used to humilate those fish with the tactics we used back in the day!

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    Hunter25
    Novice Angler
    RE: Nick's 2009/06/25 15:51:05 (permalink)
    Belive me I know every little pool in that creek. I used to go down 1 side and up the other. Never did catch a brookie there though. Plenty of browns. I miss those days as well.
    Jump to: