Lifetime Licences - revisited

Author
kjo43
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 52
  • Reward points: 0
2009/06/08 13:49:30 (permalink)

Lifetime Licences - revisited

Today I saw the lifetime license rates as of October 2009 posted for the first time.  This link has the comparison so you can see the increase.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/6099.html

Whats really shocking is that the Combination Fishing (Fresh & Salt) is going to be $10 LESS than the traditional freshwater only license. I sent DEC an email and was advised the prices on the site are correct, and for my situation I'd be better served to wait until October 1 to purchase a Lifetime License if I planned to fish both Fresh and Salt, even with the lower 2008 rate available now on freshwater fishing... Of course thats assuming current lifetime fishing license holders, will not get a discount for the new saltwater license, and as of right now it appears they will not.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/54950.html

Oh- and one more thing, you WILL need the Salt license to fish Stripers and Herring in the Hudson below Troy.

5 Replies Related Threads

Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Lifetime Licences - revisited 2009/06/08 16:37:07 (permalink)
    I personally wouldn't buy a recreational marine fishing license before finding out if they are going to ban the use of herring like other states have unless of course you plan to fish for stripers using other means. From what I understand it is a real possibility of a ban which would completely change striper fishing on the Hudson River.

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Lifetime Licences - revisited 2009/06/08 18:12:54 (permalink)

the fisher would adapt to changes. maybe fly only
    I don't foresee or have heard of a push against using herring. Only the use of circle hooks and limit herring possessions.

Darn: knew I should have waited for that lifetime increase , The combo sportsman/bow hunting cost me $780.00 . With the increase it would have been an even $1,000 . As for marine , I'll swing the extra $10.00 per season (If) I decide to fish the river. The Creek still gets a good run of stripers to keep me happy, no fed. stamp needed.

Things to consider for sure...

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Lifetime Licences - revisited 2009/06/08 21:08:07 (permalink)
    ReelForce knows more about the possibility of a herring ban then I do. Info he received in a striper seminar prior to the season I believe. As for circle hooks, from what I saw this year, between myself using J's and RF using circles, there were more gut hooks with the circles then J's. However, I know the DEC did a study last year and had less die off with circles.

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Lifetime Licences - revisited 2009/06/08 22:06:49 (permalink)
    I don't foresee or have heard of a push against using herring. Only the use of circle hooks

Seriously they have been taking about the J-hook ban for almost 10yrs now !!! It comes up every year and then by the time the season starts there is no change. They can't seem to make up thier minds to quick. Dosen't matter to me if they change it or not.

ReelForce knows more about the possibility of a herring ban then I do. Info he received in a striper seminar prior to the season I believe. As for circle hooks, from what I saw this year, between myself using J's and RF using circles, there were more gut hooks with the circles then J's. However, I know the DEC did a study last year and had less die off with circles.

I don't think we are going to see the Herring ban for next season, not overly concerned here.

As for the circle hooks they work great, but yes they can still gut hook if you let them chow down too long. Out of all our fish i think only one was gut hooked. We really like the circles, very rarely does a fish come unbuttoned once it's on and the hook always ends up in the corner or roof of the mouth.

My 2-cents

BB
    post edited by bassinbrian - 2009/06/08 22:08:01
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Lifetime Licences - revisited 2009/06/08 22:14:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bassinbrian

I don't foresee or have heard of a push against using herring. Only the use of circle hooks

Seriously they have been taking about the J-hook ban for almost 10yrs now !!! It comes up every year and then by the time the season starts there is no change. They can't seem to make up thier minds to quick. Dosen't matter to me if they change it or not.

I don't think we are going to see the Herring ban for next season, not overly concerned here.

As for the circle hooks they work great, but yes they can still gut hook if you let them chow down too long. Out of all our fish i think only one was gut hooked. We really like the circles, very rarely does a fish come unbuttoned once it's on and the hook always ends up in the corner or roof of the mouth.

My 2-cents

BB

Yup same ole, same ole

circle hooks  I use the on my tip-ups as well. they work !

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Jump to: