Author
SwimFishieSwim
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 133
  • Reward points: 0
2009/06/07 19:27:22 (permalink)

2009 Arthur Alewife/top water action

Guys,

Been hitting the lake at night for some striper and catfish action from the shore. Had some success using minnows, perch, A-bomber and bluegill as bait. However noticed a lot of top water action after dark close to shore. Assuming these are Alewife being chased, how do you catch them? I see that some folks are catching them with casting nets, but I guess you need a permit for that. What about using a minnow trap? Would that work and is it legal? Also, can you catch them using the rod and smaller hooks? What would I use as bait?

Any info is helpful.

Thanks

10 Replies Related Threads

Invicta
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 484
    RE: 2009 Arthur Alewife/top water action 2009/06/07 23:16:12 (permalink)
    SwimFishieSwim
    Avid Angler
    RE: 2009 Arthur Alewife/top water action 2009/06/08 00:45:42 (permalink)
    That is useful, but does not mention alewife as a baitfish , unless its considered some of sort of a minnow...
    Texcobb99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: 2009 Arthur Alewife/top water action 2009/06/08 10:17:35 (permalink)
    You do not need a permit if the casting net is 4 feet or smaller.  I believe thats radius but you'd better check the regs.  I don't think minnow traps work or fishing for them work, atleast not reliably.  Once you catch them, it can be difficult keeping them alive for a long period.  Only put about 15 in a 5 gal bucket with a good aerator. 

I just learned all about this stuff from Dream Catcher...so I need to give him copyright credit.

If I would have asked what everyone wanted, they would have responded that they wanted a better horse....Henry Ford
    SwimFishieSwim
    Avid Angler
    RE: 2009 Arthur Alewife/top water action 2009/06/08 11:11:10 (permalink)
    So I guess they are considered baitfish then.

Since I don't have a boat to cast a net, would a minnow trap work?
    If not, can you catch them with a bobber/small hook ? What bait?
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: 2009 Arthur Alewife/top water action 2009/06/08 11:44:49 (permalink)
    I am still fairly new at catching the alewives, but I have found it to be pretty simple.  I was intitially using my steelhead net attached to a 4ft extension to scoop them up from the boat, this method is a little tedious but it will get the job done if need be.  A butterfly style net would also work.  I just purchased a 3' cast net a week ago and that works very well, I just toss it out enough to get a dozen in the bucket and replenish as needed.  I believe you need a permit to use cast nets larger than 4' in diameter although I would double check that.

You don't need a boat to use a cast net either.  You will be able to catch plenty of bait from the shore, docks, or any piers.
    post edited by Esox_Hunter - 2009/06/08 11:45:59
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9692
    RE: 2009 Arthur Alewife/top water action 2009/06/08 11:50:21 (permalink)
    They eat microscopic organisms, so you'll need a small hook...  Although, if you have the right lure on, they will often hook themselves, usually through their bellies though.  This is a good way of letting you know if you have a lure that is going to work on.  If you don't feel a few small taps within 10 casts, you are likely not mimicking an alewive very well.

Cast nets or any net must be 4' or less in DIAMETER - which means fully opened, one end to the other.  I have yet to see any this size for sale.  The 4' sizes that you usually see in the store are 4' Radius, which is 8' diameter.  You will need to cut these down to size and retie.  It is a kind of a pain to do, but makes you legal.  Although the handbook is rather strange in it's section on cast nets.  I did talk with many WCOs and contacted their Harrisburg office, and said if it is under 4' it is legal.  You do not need a boat for a cast net, and are easier to use from shore IMO.

As for keeping them alive, a round bucket or drum seems to be best.  Aretor would definitely help keep them alive longer too.  If you use a "minnow" bucket, they will lodge themselves into a corner or a fresh water vent, and swim themselves to death.  Even in a bucket, they usually only last for so long until they become rather worn out.  If using alewives, which I've found seem to work really good at times and not at others, we'll net about 1/2 dozen, then fish.  Then catch more when we're out of bait, to keep them lively.

Beware of coons getting them if you veture away from your bucket.  I've had a bunch missing one time, and didn't see any flopping around the bucket after.  So, am assuming it was some sort of wildlife??
    SwimFishieSwim
    Avid Angler
    RE: 2009 Arthur Alewife/top water action 2009/06/08 12:14:58 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info fellas, I am still in debate if I should get a casting net or try using a minnow trap/hook.
    Did anyone have much luck using a minnow trap? Those are cheap and can be re-used later on for minnows. But then again would I use bread to lure them in it?

Had a good observation using a different kind of bait the other night. After failing to catch any bluegills or perch, I hooked a few small catfish (10-12inches). I tossed one out 2 feet off the bottom one just below the surface. To my surprise, got a hit from a striper and a 12 pound cat.... only landed the cat :( the striper got away. Anyhow, never thought they'd like that as a food source.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9692
    RE: 2009 Arthur Alewife/top water action 2009/06/08 14:47:38 (permalink)
    I have never tried a trap, and would only guess that they will not work.  From what I have read on alewife, they eat plankton, small shrimp, ect.  Most of this is from alewife in their natural saltwater setting though, where they are reported to grow over 12".  I have only seen one close to that range, and was from Crappiefisher's freezer...  I can only guess that they eat freshwater microscopic organisms, and insect larva.  If you are going to get them in a trap, I'd say some sort of fish food that mimics this would be best?  You may want to make the enterance holes a little bigger too, as they are rather tall for their size (check regs, as I think there is a max size for the holes).  Also know their seasonal movements.  The night time splashing around is mating.  So, I would be very surprised if a minnow trap worked, even with the correct food.  Most fish seem to stay away from food while in the act of mating.  During the remainder of the year, they are in the open water.  Many times you can spot them in huge schools swimming with their heads at the surface or making swirls on the suface (I think eating, likely algae or small aquatics that are eating algae).  That doesn't mean they don't come in shallow, although I have never seen them in shallow except for the night time mating.

Give the trap a shot, but I'd imagine you will do much better getting other bait species than alewife.  Who knows though, you may run into something good.  I think these are best used, if you have a stream by your house that you can let sit for a few hours or a day and retrieve.  I'm sure a creek chub fished the right way will entice a wiper now?
    SwimFishieSwim
    Avid Angler
    RE: 2009 Arthur Alewife/top water action 2009/06/08 15:40:48 (permalink)
    Thanks Porktown, this is the info I was looking for. Per the regs for trapping, the entry holes cannot be bigger than an inch but as you mentioned above it would not make sense to use one for alewife anyhow. I will get a net in  hopes to catch a few. Keeping more than a few would be a waste since like you and manny others on here noted that they are very fragile. I will keep you guys posted if they work...
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: 2009 Arthur Alewife/top water action 2009/06/08 17:21:16 (permalink)
    Ownlie gIrLz Uzz alIeWivz dUUdz
    Jump to: