Cabins for rent

Author
JMZ82
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 306
  • Reward points: 0
2009/06/04 08:49:40 (permalink)

Cabins for rent

Anyone know of a good place that a cabin or something could be rented for a night that is an hour or so away from westmoreland county?

I'm looking to get some friends together and rent a cabin for a night next to a stream or lake (preferably a stream) that would have good fishing through the summer.  I'd like the water to be within walking distance from where we stay but not necessarily a requirement.  The cabin doesn't have to be anything nice either, id be fine with an outhouse.

thanks for any ideas.
post edited by JMZ82 - 2009/06/04 08:57:11

8 Replies Related Threads

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Cabins for rent 2009/06/04 09:17:19 (permalink)
    Many of the State Parks have cabins you can rent.  http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/

As for waking up, walking out the door and fishing, Linn Run would be a good start.  You may have trouble getting a cabin at this time of year on short notice though. 

Cook's Forest also has some cabins within walking distance of the river. 
    Lundman76
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: Cabins for rent 2009/06/04 09:41:01 (permalink)
    Clear Creek State Park (Not far from Cooks Forest) also has cabins very close to the creek and river.

Marklu
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 74
    RE: Cabins for rent 2009/06/04 10:45:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: JMZ82

Anyone know of a good place that a cabin or something could be rented for a night that is an hour or so away from westmoreland county?

I'm looking to get some friends together and rent a cabin for a night next to a stream or lake (preferably a stream) that would have good fishing through the summer.  I'd like the water to be within walking distance from where we stay but not necessarily a requirement.  The cabin doesn't have to be anything nice either, id be fine with an outhouse.

thanks for any ideas.

Granted your "or so" would have to be 3 hours, but Pine Creek in the Grand Canyon of PA from Blackwell through Cedar Run to Slate Run is some of the best trout fishing in PA. 

Given the name you can imagine it is quite scenic as well - always see bald eagles cruising along the creek.  You can rent canoes and there is a 50+ mile "rails to trails" bike trail with a number of fishing/swimming holes. 

Here is the best place to stay, real nice folks, real reasonable, and clean.

http://www.pettecotejunction.com/

If you stay two nights, the 3 hours drive is not so bad.  Trust me, you will not be disappointed with the fishing or atmosphere.

Take care,

~SS
    post edited by Marklu - 2009/06/04 10:46:41
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9692
    RE: Cabins for rent 2009/06/04 12:11:21 (permalink)
    I'll second Marklu on PA Grand Canyon.  Do a Google Maps view of the area he mentioned.  Find a few town names and search for cottages / cabins in the area that you want to check out.  There are tons of them there.

You're probably going to run into issues with a one night stay, just about anywhere you look.  Most campgrounds even have a two night minimum.

The state park cabins have a two night minimum and the popular ones require a reservation months in advance.  Many have Summer seasons too, which require an even longer stay (I think week).  They also do not allow alchohol or pets.  Other than that, these cabins are a great value for family mini or even week long + vacations.
    wilbur_83
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: Cabins for rent 2009/06/04 13:03:50 (permalink)
    Raccoon State park has cabins...The creek above and below the lake are stocked...It get pressured a bit but I'll bet if you did some walking you'd find a few...

The lake still has plenty...a few nice largemouth in there as well as panfish...
    JMZ82
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 306
    RE: Cabins for rent 2009/06/04 13:13:58 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info, unfortunatly it would have to be limited to a single night which would rule out alot of the places.  If I don't find anything we might end up just making it a day trip.
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Cabins for rent 2009/06/04 13:45:33 (permalink)
    Your best bet is to stick with a private campground that has cabins, all of the state cabins are only rented by the week Memorial day thru Labor day. Actually, you'll probably will have a hard time finding a cabin that only rents out single days durring peak summer months. Too much vacation money floating around this time of year.

I do know of one place in the Cook Forest area, Black Bear Cabins on rt36, right past the bridge after you come into the park. They rent cabins out for the weekends all year long. Nice cabins as well, right along the river.
    http://www.blackbearcabins.com/
    post edited by JEB - 2009/06/04 13:46:12
    Invicta
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 484
    RE: Cabins for rent 2009/06/04 16:19:45 (permalink)
    try laurel hill state park or pioneer park campground, pioneer campground is right next to laurel hill state park.  if you stayed at laurel/pioneer you'd be within walking distance of laurel hill creek which is a great trout stream, laurel hill lake, and jones mill run.

http://www.pioneerparkcampground.com/scripts/pioneerpark/index.cfm
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/laurelhill.aspx#cottages
    Jump to: