Pike fishing ideas for Lake placid or Saranac

Author
Ragincajun94
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 47
  • Reward points: 0
2009/06/02 18:30:04 (permalink)

Pike fishing ideas for Lake placid or Saranac

Going to Lake Placid this weekend for son's lacrosse tourney sunday. Thinking I should go Saturday AM and take the boat. Wanna fish all day and get a hotel that night. I love to fish for pike and want to catch some but don't expect anyone to spot burn. Any suggestions, as I am taking the wife and kids and gas pulling the boat will cost me, I don't want to get skunked.

Thanks

I always feel more alive when I am throwing my pole into a wet spot.

4 Replies Related Threads

Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Pike fishing ideas for Lake placid or Saranac 2009/06/02 19:14:40 (permalink)
    I haven't fished it but I have it on good authority that Lake Flower is good for Pike. It connects to Oseetah Lake which I read is also good for Pike. Both lakes are shallow and I don't know if the channel that connects them is navigable. Lake Flower has a hard surface launch on RT 86 in Saranac Lake.
          Tight Lines Mate, Cheers

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Pike fishing ideas for Lake placid or Saranac 2009/06/02 21:40:16 (permalink)
    Look up Eagle Island not sure if it is Lower or Middle Saranac  - caught plenty of Pike around that Island in 10 to 20 depth range. It's been awhile ..

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/midsaralkmap.pdf

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/upsaralkmap.pdf

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/lrsaralkmap.pdf

Look for the drop offs around the Islands and some of the deeper bays - fish the inside weed line in the morning and the deeper outside weed lines in the afternoon. and try to target some deep rock piles.
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Pike fishing ideas for Lake placid or Saranac 2009/06/02 23:34:14 (permalink)
    Simon Pond hosts the annual North Country Derby Ice Fishing and they only accept pike as entries.  Have never come back from there without seeing many good sized pike taken.  The pond is just prior to the village of Tupper Lake heading North on Route 30 toward Tupper Lake on the right hand side.

Eagle Ed
    Ragincajun94
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Pike fishing ideas for Lake placid or Saranac 2009/06/03 12:35:57 (permalink)
    Well, ....its going to cost $500 to get skeg and propellar fixed and a week to two, the trip is off for now, but saving this info for a weekend soon this year.

I always feel more alive when I am throwing my pole into a wet spot.
    Jump to: