Someone Say Trout ?

Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/30 19:28:43 (permalink)

Someone Say Trout ?

What does a guide do after working all day(s) with clients ?
         Goes Fishing of course !!!

this spot look familiar ? except for the red head cigar smoking woman..

after awhile they all look the same 

and now some dinner......

so glad the rain scared everyone away, the fish are already wet what do they care....

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen

17 Replies Related Threads

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Someone Say Trout ? 2009/05/30 21:10:54 (permalink)
    Nice bunch of fish RJ !

the fish are already wet what do they care.... 

My buddy says that all the time when people ask, why would go fishing in the rain ?  LOL !!
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: Someone Say Trout ? 2009/05/30 23:03:28 (permalink)
    Nice Rj! I love a calm overcast day with a little mist falling fishin is usualy great on those days in summer.( huntin too)
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: Someone Say Trout ? 2009/05/30 23:57:36 (permalink)
    Very NICE RJ!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    blitz42
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: Someone Say Trout ? 2009/05/31 09:15:07 (permalink)
    nice! ausable?
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Someone Say Trout ? 2009/05/31 10:06:59 (permalink)
    yea it was the Ausable and with the rains it kept pressure to a min. which is rare on that popular river. it's probably the highest fish per mile river in NY but to me it's a best fished spring fishery. once the summer kicks in the water gets very skinny and fish are wary and well educated of anything passing by. get there now and you'll be well rewarded.

as for the opening pic... eagleed posted the link. it used to be my favorite spot that supports good holdover fish. always giving up a fatty 3 lber every year. 3 years ago I caught 22" bow there that was spewing eggs when I raised her out of the water.

not so favorite anymore but still always worth a revisit.
    http://www.fishadk.com/brochure.cfm

jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: Someone Say Trout ? 2009/05/31 16:20:10 (permalink)
    great pics, would love to know what bugs you saw.

As far as pressure, Grew up fishing the dacks and the ausable and the pressure can't touch the catskills. Thats what keeps even the ausable great, it does get a lot of pressure compared to the other rivers up their, but nothing like the cats.

I used to do pressure counts for the state on the beaverkill (counting the number of people fishing, and it wasn't rare to count a couple of hundred people fishing a 2-3 mile stretch.

Great fish though, I am gearing up for a week on the west branch of the delaware, just hope the water comes down a little.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Someone Say Trout ? 2009/05/31 16:25:51 (permalink)
    bugs, nothing in the air until late yesterday afternoon when the rains stopped. there were a few bwo's every once in awhile. But then it was March Browns in force.. those suckers are big...

jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    RE: Someone Say Trout ? 2009/05/31 17:28:01 (permalink)
    i know the drakes are hatching in the skills, I like fishing the march browns better but it is fun watching those big bugs.

The drakes should be starting next week in the dacks.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Someone Say Trout ? 2009/05/31 17:44:33 (permalink)
    jk, whats your favorite hatch ? most like the drakes but up in the dack's they often come out very late in the day at or after dark and are the 3rd to 4th round in the fishing.   My favorite is the hendricksons. first hatch of the year when the fish are not as skilled and often come out around noon to 1pm.

But the really bigger fish prefer a full meal like the bait fish hatch  
    post edited by hot tuna - 2009/05/31 17:45:31

backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Someone Say Trout ? 2009/05/31 21:05:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jkbugger

i know the drakes are hatching in the skills, I like fishing the march browns better but it is fun watching those big bugs.

The drakes should be starting next week in the dacks.
    jk, i was up this tues till sat.in the cats, the hatches been just before dark (sulfurs mainly) the bait and big BT are surfacing the pepac but i never made it, was busy looking for those crappies along the upper canons..for me this canonsville fishing is relatively new waters..i understand the DEC is allowing public permits for kayaks and small boats so perfect for me next time for my cartops. man that canonsville is huge..i drove that thing all fri/sat checking out spots for the summer. have some pics of the dams spillway here.  RJ, nice pics by the way bro! you are absolutely right about the west branch /east br. del.. it was like an amusement park! Heading home from roughing it on the res, i ate a wendys in deposit i was going to stop but sooo many were fly fishing, i thought it was a joke.. i took my time going it the slow way along the penn.side..didn't stop until i hit the hancock junction pool where the water was just too high and seen no bug however.. i cheated and used what was left of crappie minnows and second float down in th murky water (water treatment lot) i nailed a native BT about 20inches..cheek hooked and released immediately for another day! sorry no pics just tale my word :) glad they put a sign only one trout over 15" allowed on premise daily there! i had a few nice crappie fillets in the cooler so was glad to let her go. Anyway, from there it was senseless to try flyfishing the high water imo..no bugs and was ready to come home for sunday... here is that pic of canons spillway

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Someone Say Trout ? 2009/05/31 21:22:06 (permalink)
    To all interested in fishing the EB and adjacent estuaries, as a reminder to you wading or boating, i was very discouraged noticing the didmo algae floating like jellyfish in my EB.. ****es me off but wtf.. i am asking you all to please spray a mixture of 10% bleach and water in a spray bottle after wading the lower del. and bucket sponge with bleach and water your vessels.. this may help preserve other ny waters still not infested. It isn't showing up yet as displayed on youtube, but that rock snot didmo is ugly and it is in the del.  and i think everyone here would agree it is best to try and prevent it spreading elsewhere. ty john

jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    RE: Someone Say Trout ? 2009/06/01 05:50:20 (permalink)
    tuna,
    My favorite hatch may be hendricksons as well. I don't mind saying it on this forum, but most people when I lived in the cats missed the first week of the hatch because they were waiting for other people to tell them it started. I was about the only time of year when big bugs would be hatching and there would be no people.

Isos are a very close second, in the cats you could blind fish those in the fast water to big wild bows and catch quite a few and on big water like the main delaware thats pretty sweet.

In the smaller dack streams though it seems most times all you need are some elk hair caddis.

The dacks still have great suclusion even on popular rivers, they don't get the hatches like the catskills and the delaware system in the catskill is incredible. the main delaware is as big as the mohawk and is a great trout river plus it has everything else even stripers.

I love em both, the bad thing about the dacks are is the length of the black fly season, the bad thing about the catskills are the number of people. I am lucky enough to know where to escape the people, but that gets tougher every time I go.

Charles Haas
    jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    RE: Someone Say Trout ? 2009/06/01 05:52:31 (permalink)
    backin,

there is possibly one of the best brookie ponds I have ever been to around the pepacton. It is a mile or two hike straight up a mountain but is well worth it. I don't want to say the name here but with a little research I am sure you could find it.

Charles Haas
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Someone Say Trout ? 2009/06/01 09:18:19 (permalink)
    jk, I have found some secret remote places close to my site I keep off the internet too..i was privledged to witness some pellet feeding in a private trout pond holding huge RT/BT/BRT.. after that i went solo to my spot in the eb trying to fish up similiar size bruts i know are in there but that flood runoff didn't make good for the hatch ..best i did was about four hits switching from sulfur emerger to a marchbrown and back to a sulfur than lastly a beadhead wooly black to call it a night.. I had four hits in this pool but no hookups..best bugs seen was the sulfurs 8:30pm (right next to dark) but nodda.. heard the main and wb was good before the rain.. i just ordered rod holders for my sit on top kayak..i use to troll two brookie ponds with easy access but they get pressured and so i lose the urge to revisit them.. i heard of some decent hike in brookie ponds but i have yet to try em. jk you are right I love em both too, "the bad thing about the dacks are is the length of the black fly season, the bad thing about the catskills are the number of people. I am lucky enough to know where to escape the people, but that gets tougher every time I go. "  jk, alot of the public access is so limited now on the wb and recently along the eb,  i try to reserve time going weekdays to avoid the crowds. jk, the backwoods all around the pepac a nd canon can keep me busy all summer. the canon has huge lmb and as I found out crappies too in the shallows.

jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    RE: Someone Say Trout ? 2009/06/01 19:22:29 (permalink)
    backin,

I don't live down their anymore, but when I did I fished all week and rarely if ever on the weekends. I agree their is always places to go and I knew a lot of em. Worked for 4 years on the BK and know that river like the back of my hand and worked one season on the neversink. Always places to go.

I lived by a simple rule down their, I would drive till I didn't see any people and that's where I would fish. there's fish everywhere in those rivers and the quality of dry fly fishing can't be touched anywhere else in the state, thousands of miles of trout streams in that watershed, abosolutly amazing.

Charles Haas
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Someone Say Trout ? 2009/06/01 23:31:06 (permalink)
    yeah man, i try keeping it weekdays especially for bk...i have a few small jobs to finish and i'm going up for flyfishing weather permitting... lots of wet is in the forecast though so we shall see. if the streams are too high, i'll boat it either  way, always fun  this time of year. 

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Someone Say Trout ? 2009/06/02 22:58:26 (permalink)
    i'm going up tomorrow for afternoon hatch will be overnight at my site, anyone i know here you can pm me.

Jump to: