Another Pittsburgh Stillhead

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
pacarper
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 463
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Another Pittsburgh Stillhead 2009/05/29 14:03:23 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: STEELYS MANFISH

Hey Pa nice fish. Have never been successful when actually targeting carp. Ive used doughballs and floated bread, mallows, and corn but nothing. Have caught them by mistake on soft plastic crayfish but thats the only time. I see them jumping all the time and cruising by but they never give any attention to my bait.

When u use corn what kind of hook should be used?

Sometimes it helps to pre-bait or chum a likely area to get the fish feeding confidently.  Sometimes, no matter what ya do, they just ain't hungry and won't eat.  Figure out what they're eating and use it as bait in one form or another and you'll catch 'em eventually, just like any other fish.

For this fish, I was using a short shank wide gap size 2 hook with three pieces of canned corn right on the hook, freelining.  But depends on time of year and how the fish are behaving to determine what size hook I use.  Size 6 or 4 is a good average size for corn.  Sometimes I'll go as small as size 8 in colder months when fish are less aggressive.  Other times as big as size 2 or 1 or even 1/0 depending on my fishing style.  Right now the carp are feeding pretty aggressively, so size 4 to size 1 is a good range.  Note tho, that actual hook sizes are not uniform from one brand/style to the next, so  I've seen a size 4 in one style be the same as a size 1 in another style.  Whatever style ya choose, make sure it's a pretty stout hook-------if it's to thin a wire, a hard fighting carp could easily straighten it out.
STEELYS MANFISH
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 682
RE: Another Pittsburgh Stillhead 2009/05/29 14:32:31 (permalink)
 Thanks will let u know if I hook-up with those tips. There has just been a boat load of them swimming around so hopefully my next time out will be the ticket. After about 45 minutes of watching these fish swim around my bait frustration sets in, I give up, and start fishin for something else which usually spooks em off.
post edited by STEELYS MANFISH - 2009/05/29 14:34:38
JEB
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2248
RE: Another Pittsburgh Stillhead 2009/06/01 08:59:30 (permalink)
Photoshoped !!!

Nice fish ! My daughter just won a kids fishing derby with a  carp. There were plenty of bass & gills to be caught, but the top prize was just for the biggest fish. I thought her chances would be better if we targeted them Pittsburgh Stillheads & I was right. Her's wasn't a giant, but big enought to take biggerst fish in her age group and biggest of the day. Never seen a five year old smile so much ! Pics are on my disposable camera, forgot the digital at home.
pacarper
Expert Angler
RE: Another Pittsburgh Stillhead 2009/06/02 06:19:52 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: JEB

Photoshoped !!!

Nice fish ! My daughter just won a kids fishing derby with a  carp. There were plenty of bass & gills to be caught, but the top prize was just for the biggest fish. I thought her chances would be better if we targeted them Pittsburgh Stillheads & I was right. Her's wasn't a giant, but big enought to take biggerst fish in her age group and biggest of the day. Never seen a five year old smile so much ! Pics are on my disposable camera, forgot the digital at home.

Thanks.
Good job.  Smart strategy, targeting carp, err Pittsburgh Stillhead during a derby.  Most times, a carp will win a multi-species derby everytime, sizewise.  Even smaller carp are usually bigger than the largest fish most fish for.   If you're fishing for fun and catching the biggest counts, might as well go after a fish that'll give ya the best chance of winning and gives ya the most sport.  Plus the bonus of beating the other kids.  That smile is all ya need as proof that carp are fun to catch and the top prize is just icing on the cake. 
AKKingBuster
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: Another Pittsburgh Stillhead 2009/06/02 08:52:52 (permalink)
A friend of mines mother use to cook carp and everything else she could fit into a pressure cooker and then she would make fish cakes out of them. They really weren't that bad as I remember. I guess when your young you'll eat about anything.
If you wanna catch carp I've found ya just need to entice them a little. Go to your favorite Carp hole and give them a couple hand fuls of corn at about the same time for about three or four days. Then when your ready to fish, throw a handful of corn in and I like to use only about two kernals on about a size six hook. Keep an eye on your rod or it may go for a swim. Carp are very easy to train if that is what you want to call it. A great way to get kids into fishing. Nothing like a big ole carp and a youngster.
Minnie Food
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 86
RE: Another Pittsburgh Stillhead 2009/06/02 18:28:39 (permalink)
the correct way to cook a carp:

1.) nail it down to a board after gutting it.
2.) season it up with whatever u would normally use for walley-gators, perch, crappie etc..
3.) put the bottom side of the board on a open campfire and cook. Now this last part is very important
4.) carefully take the carp off of the board, throw the carp away and eat the board.

wow after reading it seems like a pretty lame joke but o well
pacarper
Expert Angler
RE: Another Pittsburgh Stillhead 2009/06/04 10:07:00 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Minnie Food

the correct way to cook a carp:

1.) nail it down to a board after gutting it.
2.) season it up with whatever u would normally use for walley-gators, perch, crappie etc..
3.) put the bottom side of the board on a open campfire and cook. Now this last part is very important
4.) carefully take the carp off of the board, throw the carp away and eat the board.

wow after reading it seems like a pretty lame joke but o well

Yeah, never heard that one before.  But someone had to post it, just in case........................................
bigben7
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 885
RE: Another Pittsburgh Stillhead 2009/06/07 10:55:31 (permalink)
nice fish pacarper. he tire ur arms out?
pacarper
Expert Angler
RE: Another Pittsburgh Stillhead 2009/06/08 13:45:54 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bigben7

nice fish pacarper. he tire ur arms out?

Na, not during the fight.  It did start to get a bit heavy holdin' it for the pics tho, as heavy as it was.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: