Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/24 00:46:33 (permalink)

Native, wild, I'm not sure...

All I know is that this was cool...

Caught this little guy in a place that looks kinda like this...

Got another, larger brookie after that, but he leapt out of the net before I could snap a decent photo. The stream isnt stocked, so their definitely something more than holdover fish (too small anyway), or even merely stream-bred. But I'm not real clear on how to tell the difference between wild and native. Its not terribly important in any event. This was fun! I also think I lost a pound ot two in blood...the skeeters ate well today.

post edited by Cold - 2009/05/24 00:53:36

11 Replies Related Threads

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: Native, wild, I'm not sure... 2009/05/24 08:27:24 (permalink)
    WHen it comes to brookies, I think you'd need a biologist to figure out if it's wild or native but there is a far more of a chance of it being wild than native.
    A long time ago, it seemed like every little ditch in PA was stocked with brook trout at some point or another. Many of those unstocked small streams without impassable barriers usually get some migrating fish from the stocked main branch.
    So now, many original native strains of PA brookies are no longer. It only takes one to breed with stocked fish to wipe out the gene pool. There are still pockets here and there in PA.
    One stream I used to fish had a high population of brook trout. Because of logistics, I always thought they were natives. I  found out from an old timer that it was stocked after the trees grew back with small brook trout many years ago near an old logging road. So now??? I dunno. There's still quite a few fish in the creek and I like to think that they are native.

Still nice to catch em like that. Native or not.
    post edited by dano - 2009/07/03 22:48:18
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: Native, wild, I'm not sure... 2009/05/24 13:26:24 (permalink)
    I know of a couple streams out your way that have wild ones in them.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Native, wild, I'm not sure... 2009/05/24 13:36:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: PeteM

I know of a couple streams out your way that have wild ones in them.

This was a test run for me, to see if I could go out there and find em. I did, so now I'll probably do alot of nosing around looking for little streams. Aside from the bugs, it was a great time!
    PACOFRANSICO
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 276
    RE: Native, wild, I'm not sure... 2009/06/23 20:23:01 (permalink)
    Hey Cold, I also started to bum around certain little creeks too.  What a hoot.  Nothin better than catchin' wild trout on flies u tyed yourself.  I found most of the streams by using google earth and The Prof. Higgbies lost map and the help of my GPS. I 've bin catchin' some nice ones 1 that was 7 inches.

It's cool fishin places that you see no boot tracks beer bottles or other fisherman. 
    But you have to watch out for the snakes Like the one I saw   tonight,
     Good luck!

"If, when you pull a fly out you
    dont hear drums and cant smell
    chicken blood in the air, put it back
    in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
    then it can only be conjured with the
    same.
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Native, wild, I'm not sure... 2009/06/23 21:19:30 (permalink)
    I thot it was wild or stocked. What does native mean to yinz in this context?

I freakin hate snakes. But I'm also wary of wasps and such and the unexpected places they choose to build nests. So you bush whackers take care.

I know a fella who likes to take his topo fishing. He's hard to discourage. One outing he got skunked, climbed a steep embankment to get back to the truck, ran out of wind and sat down on a log to rest. Heard a buzzing and quickly learned he was sitting on a bee's nest, jumped up with the critters stinging him, skidded back down the bank all the way to the bottom landing kersplash back in the stream, lost his glasses, a box of streamers, ripped his waders and broke his rod. But he still loves small streams. His truck doesn't have the bumper sticker about A Bad Day Fishing is Better than a Good Day at Work" though.
    PACOFRANSICO
    Expert Angler
    RE: Native, wild, I'm not sure... 2009/06/23 23:05:03 (permalink)
    I dont know the difference. I mean you could get technical like Danno did earlier in the post.  Wild or native, there somthin' special to me no matter what you choose to call them.   A naturaly sustaining trout stream are hard to find but when you find em it makes the close encounters with the snakes (really close), bees, getting lost, and lets not forget the locals ( PEOPLE ) all just part of experience.  It'll be hard to go back to "stockies" !

*I've got a line on some wild browns trout also, I'll post some pics when I get into some.

same.
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1058
    RE: Native, wild, I'm not sure... 2009/06/23 23:49:56 (permalink)

dano pretty much summed it up
    post edited by jimhalupka - 2009/06/23 23:52:01
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Native, wild, I'm not sure... 2009/06/24 07:39:44 (permalink)
    cold, looks like you caught him on a nymph. not sure if you tried it yet, but it's a blast and more challenging to catch them on a dry. a #12 caddis of bushy mayfly works well in choppy water.
    you can see the big dries i was using in my post about the 'jewels' march browns and caddis work well for me.

i thought you were concentrating on other species? you're hooked on trout!!
    post edited by doubletaper - 2009/06/24 07:40:35

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Native, wild, I'm not sure... 2009/06/24 08:32:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: doubletaper

cold, looks like you caught him on a nymph. not sure if you tried it yet, but it's a blast and more challenging to catch them on a dry. a #12 caddis of bushy mayfly works well in choppy water.
    you can see the big dries i was using in my post about the 'jewels' march browns and caddis work well for me.

i thought you were concentrating on other species? you're hooked on trout!!

I started this thread a while ago, and since then I've done mostly trout fishing. I DO prefer to catch trout over most other species, but if they aren't biting, I dont want to waste my time, especially when other fish are. I havent been out trout fishing in like 2 weeks, though, I need to get out!

As for the fly used, it was a big tellico. That was before I started getting into dries, but since then I've caught several fiesty brookies on dries. Mostly with a para-adams, royal wulff, and light tan hairwing dry that I've used to imitate caddis, light cahills, and in a pinch, a stonefly adult.
    PACOFRANSICO
    Expert Angler
    RE: Native, wild, I'm not sure... 2009/07/03 22:37:05 (permalink)
    Well we, my father and I found some wild browns. I think
    Im not sure that there a wild. But we were fishing on a creek that hasn't bin stocked since 2002. And it was caught about 20 miles away from were the mouth dumps into a major trib. We caught wild brookies all along the creek until we happened into these 2 browns.and I caught one too.

Let me know what u think I'm stumped
    post edited by PACOFRANSICO - 2009/07/03 23:51:10

same.
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Native, wild, I'm not sure... 2009/07/17 11:23:06 (permalink)
    dano is right, but as a general rule of thumb, brookies are usually called natives and browns are usually callefd wild.
    The brookie had a natural strain in Pa and the brown never did, it was introduced. Our natural strain of brookies is so polluted now that some people call them wild now instead of native. But like I said as a general rule most people still call wild brookies "native"

The bottom brown looks wild, the top pic, i'm not sure, could be a stockie that migrated.
    They did a study on Pine Creek in the pa Grand canyon and a tagged stockie onced traveled over 70 miles from where it was stocked, so it is possible.
    Jump to: