Middle Allegheny River Flats

Author
hiclassHilbilly
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1052
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/18 12:07:59 (permalink)

Middle Allegheny River Flats

Has anyone ever fished the middle allegheny river for cats?  I was at lock & **** 9 last year camping and there were very few boats around, but you could see hundreds of fish below the powerplant/dam spillway.  Has anyone ever heard how the catfishing is up there?  The amount of baitfish for flatheads is unreal.

In one evening from the high rail, we saw suckers, carp, channel cats, and bass all caught.  We even saw a big gar go swimming by. 

2 Replies Related Threads

jolie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Middle Allegheny River Flats 2009/05/21 09:45:33 (permalink)
    Yep I have... lock 9 has good spots.  templeton does as well.  I'm not too willing to give out spots since they are not my own, but tributaries are good bets for those stuck on the shore.  

There's some BIG flats in there.   Templeton is a place I would like to go too often , but at 80 miles one way (and with kids, a normal job, etc)... its difficult to get more than a few trips a year.

You are lucky to have a camp nearby.  I would go crazy fishing, on a camping trip down there right now.
    JT83
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: Middle Allegheny River Flats 2009/06/04 00:46:43 (permalink)
    #9 is really the uppermost area for decent flatheads (over 20#).  Thats not to say that there arent some bigguns in that pool.  Like jolie said, target tributaries and bends, that will narrow down alot of water, then you just gotta soak some bait and fine tune your areas.

If you see a pontoon or a v-hull with glowsticks hangin out the sides I bet I know who it is.

You better hold on to those spots Jason, there is a biggun in the one I took you to last year, and he has a 7/0 lip ring right now.
    Jump to: