First time at Wilhelm

Author
hossmagnet
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 69
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/19 21:59:32 (permalink)

First time at Wilhelm

I am fishing a tournament @ wilhelm on sunday. I was going to pre fish, but I have to work. Any suggestions on lures or spots will help me a great deal.

3 Replies Related Threads

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: First time at Wilhelm 2007/07/20 09:46:58 (permalink)
    Tourney for what?  Bass, I would assume.  If so, this time of year, I would focus on the deeper water humps and drop offs around points and the channel in the main lake.  I catch those nasty slimers when I am trolling for walleyes in the same areas.  :-)  Wilhelm has lots of points/flats with weeds that drop off quick and I think the bass use these as ambush points.  Drop shotting in the deep edges of the weeds or casting cranks in the clean water on the edges will probably land you a few.  If you want the fun top water, though it may be a little late in the year, take a row boat up in the thick part of the swamp above the propogation area and cast frogs on top of the moss and weeds.  My neighbor at camp usually gets at least one 6 lb+ a year up there and he has one over 8 lbs on the wall from up there.  He usually does well and you bass guys probably don't want to hear it, he keeps most of what he catches as far as the bass are concerned. 
    chugbug
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: First time at Wilhelm 2007/07/20 13:50:05 (permalink)
    Everything eyesandgillz said is solid advice but I will add a bit prefacing it with there are always excemptions to the general rule. Definately fish deeper. You can catch a limit shallow but the quality fish will probably be relating to the deeper humps, road beds, points, and weed edges. Definately have a texas rigged worm and a deep diving crankbait tied on. Try a Carolina rig on the deeper humps and roadbeds. Don't let the stained water convince you not to try drop shotting the deeper weed edges. Definately try topwater in the morning (soft plastic frog, buzzbait, pop-r). If it is on you will catch em' good. If it is off you will know pretty quickly. Wilhelm gets a lot of fishing pressure this time of year and the bass are sensitive to it. The guys that seem to do best this time of year have deeper spots ideally with isolated stumps on them. Deep is a relative term and when talking Wilhelm deep usually means 8-11 feet although I do hear of some guys catching em' deeper. I am essentially lost anytime I fish deeper than 5 ft so I spend my time at Wilhelm pitching soft plastics to holes in the weeds in 4-6 feet of water. Like I said, you will catch a limit with a few 2 lb class fish but the bigger fish are usually deeper. How big is the tourney you are fishing? Is it a smaller club tourney? I was planning on fishing Wilhelm on Sunday but if there is a large tourney going on I'll head back to Pymy.
    hossmagnet
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: First time at Wilhelm 2007/07/20 17:25:40 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice, it is a small club tournament, less than 15 boats. We are launching from the number 4 launch.
    Jump to: