Author
miketetzu
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 0
2009/03/14 16:50:28 (permalink)

Adirondack Advice

Hello,

My younger brother and I are avid flyfishing Mainers, and are thinking about trying out the Adirondacks this year as our annual fishing trip.  I've been googling around on the web, but thought I'd try a forum and see if anyone could give me some local advice.  Ideally, we're looking for mid-size rivers or ponds to trout fish on.  I'm not sure how the Adirondacks generally are, but we wouldn't want to be staying in a town or anything.  I think what I'm generally looking for on advice as to which campground to select if we're looking for semi-easy access to some rivers, brooks, and ponds to fish.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
post edited by miketetzu - 2009/03/15 16:05:17

10 Replies Related Threads

REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Adirondak Advice 2009/03/14 19:10:12 (permalink)
    Try this out - 
    Saint Regis Canoe Area
    http://away.com/tripideas/saint-regis-state-forest-canoeing-300626.html

You'll find some great Brook Trout fishing !
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Adirondak Advice 2009/03/14 21:11:38 (permalink)
    reel, I'm interested in fishing adk brookies, when is the best time of year to visit saint regis canoe area for brookies? The crawdad is kinda big for dragging but can handle camping gear. guess a rigid lightweight canoe is best for sledding camping gear for overnighters in the park? I have a crawdad but it is probably too heavy to transport from psrking to these brookie waters. I do have a kayak and it has a large compartment in the front for a small dome and sleeping bag. It's a sit on top so there is room as well to bungee cord a pack and small cooler. I'm going to look into that site.  thanks

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Adirondak Advice 2009/03/14 21:58:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: backin79

reel, I'm interested in fishing adk brookies, when is the best time of year to visit saint regis canoe area for brookies? The crawdad is kinda big for dragging but can handle camping gear. guess a rigid lightweight canoe is best for sledding camping gear for overnighters in the park? I have a crawdad but it is probably too heavy to transport from psrking to these brookie waters. I do have a kayak and it has a large compartment in the front for a small dome and sleeping bag. It's a sit on top so there is room as well to bungee cord a pack and small cooler. I'm going to look into that site.  thanks
    Was going to take a trip through Saint Regis last year and never made it, but I did gather some links...

http://www.moshannonfalls.com/newyork_canoecamping/canoecamping_stregis_canoearea.php

St, Regis Canoe Area Map East Section
    http://tupperlake.net/stregise.htm

St, Regis Canoe Area Map West Section
    http://tupperlake.net/stregisw.htm

You can download the free "Adirondack Fishing Guide and Maps" at this link, has lots of info....
    http://www.fishadk.com/     

Tight Lines Mates...Cheers
    post edited by Wisdom - 2009/03/14 21:59:48

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Adirondak Advice 2009/03/14 23:02:06 (permalink)
    hey thanks wisdom, I was google mapping, I seen that place many years ago a few times driving that pass on rt 30.. remember seeing canoers paddling through some quiet stretch while I drove through. I would like to try it in late june or early july with my kayak..maybe tuna has better ideas!
    post edited by backin79 - 2009/03/14 23:17:41

Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: Adirondak Advice 2009/03/15 06:56:45 (permalink)
    First bit of help i will offer is to tell you the correct spelling!!......Adirondacks!!
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: Adirondak Advice 2009/03/15 07:41:15 (permalink)
    We have a guy right on site who can HELP you out: http://foreverwildoutfitters.com/   ps: I alway thought spellintgyg didnm't count !! SORRY Ship!!! LOL
    post edited by Perch Inc. - 2009/03/15 07:42:31

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    Inukshuk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2184
    RE: Adirondak Advice 2009/03/15 10:02:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: miketetzu

Hello,

My younger brother and I are avid flyfishing Mainers, and are thinking about trying out the Adirondaks this year as our annual fishing trip.  I've been googling around on the web, but thought I'd try a forum and see if anyone could give me some local advice.  Ideally, we're looking for mid-size rivers or ponds to trout fish on.  I'm not sure how the Adirondaks generally are, but we wouldn't want to be staying in a town or anything.  I think what I'm generally looking for on advice as to which campground to select if we're looking for semi-easy access to some rivers, brooks, and ponds to fish.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The only place I am familiar with in the Adirondacks is The Moose River Plains area.  29,000 acres of wilderness with lots of small streams and ponds to fish.  Most ponds are secluded but very walkable.

Confusion will be my epitaph, as I walk a cracked and broken path.
    miketetzu
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Adirondak Advice 2009/03/15 16:08:19 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice, and sorry for the poor spelling. 

Reel, I'll check out the link, thanks.

What about the area around the Ausable river?  I've been reading about that today and it seems promising.  Is there any reason to avoid those campgrounds?

Thanks again.
    REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Adirondak Advice 2009/03/15 19:04:52 (permalink)
    Your welcome  - not sure how remote ya want to go but there is no reason not to avoid them campgrounds - if ya want remote here's a link to a site that can help - it's located on Floodwood Rd in the town of Santa Claria right in the middle of the wilderness area - there are also camping places on this road but there unimproved - meaning ya only get a fire pit , but you can camp there free for 3 days before ya got to get a permit. I like this area because you can choose what ya want to fish for - one pond - rainbows and brookies another splake and salmon another kokonkee and pike another large and small mouth another rainbow and brown...

http://www.canoeoutfitters.com/

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMMYR
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Adirondak Advice 2009/03/15 21:27:53 (permalink)
    Force , I like a remote pond in the middle of the woods with hot bikini  giggling hooters somewhere between 20 -30 yrs of age carrying canoes, is this possible in the "Adirondaks" lol

Jump to: