Here I go again...

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
steelydaze
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 376
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/20 18:45:09 (permalink)
Some muzzleloaders pi$$ed at percusion caps being legal, long bow hunters pi$$ed at compound bow hunters, Compound bow hunters pi$$ed at crossbow hunters, and some rifle hunters pi$$ed at all of them because they shoot all the big bucks. You gotta love it. I think the crossbow will become accepted more over time it's like a pa hazing, every group goes through it.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/20 18:47:13 (permalink)

Here's the following "game code":

Previously, only hunters with permanent disabilities and a permit from the Game Commission could use crossbows. However, Act 111, which was approved by the General Assembly and signed by Gov. Tom Ridge at the end of 2000, removed crossbows from the list of unlawful devices and methods for hunting in the Game and Wildlife Code (Title 34).

DID YOU STOP RIGHT THERE TT?  THAT'S NOT ALL!!!!!

The new law also allows hunters with temporary disabilities to apply for a permit to use a crossbow throughout the state for up to one year.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?A=11&Q=155963

I'm aware of the law.  Apparently, you are not.

You've already admitted that the reason you shoot a crossbow is because you lack confidence with a bow and arrow.  It's on the old board.  Would you like me to find it for you??  You've also admitted you hunt northwestern PA, which does not have any special reg. areas.

Sounds to me like YOU are ignoring the law and plan to according to the start of the thread.  It sounds to me like YOU are SELFISH for taking advantage of the law KNOWINGLY.  OR, did you misinterpret it?  Well... that's ok but put the crossbow down TT; it's currently against the law if you don't have a disability.  It's currently against the law to hunt archery season with a crossbow in 41 states and many of the Canadian providences.

Why should crossbow hunters have to compete with bullets?  I'm not satisfied with having to compete with bullets, just as you "traditionalists" aren't thrilled about competing with crossbows. 

It's ok for your needs but no one elses???  ahh.... the pot calling the kettle black, a???     Too funny.
T.T.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1656
RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/20 19:48:37 (permalink)
pg. 50, among others, in the digest.

Read everything, not just what you want to see.  It's all there for the world to see.  Oh, that's right, your'e blinded by your hatred of anything new.  Oh wait, crossbows have been around for over 3000 years, while your compound was invented less than 45 years ago.

" 1969-Holless Wilber Allen is granted a patent on his invention of the Compound Bow which he designed 3 or 4 years earlier."

You're some kind of traditionalist, SK.

As for this upcoming season, that's taken care of.  Thank you for your concern.

T.T.
Pro Angler
RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/20 19:49:33 (permalink)
Now, that's a different spin on things.  LMAO.
T.T.
Pro Angler
RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/20 20:12:22 (permalink)
http://www.fishusa.com/Discussion2/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB_AP161061763&subject=question+on+crossbows&id=11199

"Your reasoning for not shooting a re-curve is exactly why I took up the crossbow"

That's the quote from me you're looking for.  Yup!  I still hold to it.  Consistency  can only be achieved through repetition, and that's not possible for me.  To follow your attitude, nobody without finger injuries/deformities should be able to use a release(trigger) without a disability permit.  What's wrong, you got wimpy fingers?
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/20 20:40:04 (permalink)
"Consistency can only be achieved through repetition, and that's not possible for me."

Why not?

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/20 20:44:07 (permalink)

That's what's got a bug up my butt.  Why should crossbow hunters have to compete with bullets? 

You are missing my point.  My point is we have 300,000 archers in this state.  Legalizing crossbows for regular archery season would substantially change our current seasons in my opinion.  Much higher success rate equals higher harvest which equals shorter archery season.  Especially for antlered deer IMO.

As far as "competing" with rifles.  Why do you see it as competing.  When I carry my pistol during regular firearms season I am at a disadvantage compared to someone with a 30/06.  But it is the choice I made.  You have plenty of time to enjoy your crossbow in the seasons we currently have.

If we had 70,000 archers like some of our neighboring states, I would have no problem.     
T.T.
Pro Angler
RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/20 22:44:29 (permalink)
Without going into too many details(sorry to disappoint you, SK) but I lost a monster buck (pre-AR 14 pt.) the second year out with the crossbow to a rifle hunter.  Realistically, you are only at a disadvantage because of the relative range of a pistol.  The knock-down power of the weapon should (in a perfect situation) be enough to drop a deer, where the lack of said power from the crossbow allows that animal to travel a bit further.  I knew exactly where that arrow hit, and exited.  Mr. I Hunt My Land From 4-Wheelers got my deer. 

That's why I say it's competing.  First one to the dead deer wins.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had this happen to, and I know it even happens in rifle season.  I just don't think that a close-range weapon with little to no knock-down power should be stuck competing in those over-crowded seasons, especially rifle.  If you've never shot a crossbow, I highly recommend doing so.  They are fun, they are deadly, and they offer some unique challenges all on their own without being mis-categorized by Game Commisions.  Like I said, you don't want it in archery, I don't want it in rifle, give us our own season.  2 weeks during the rut should be adequate. 

You hit it.  Archers don't want to give up a second of their monopoly on antlered deer before and during the rut.  That's what I'm up against.  I'm glad someone finally said it.  And SilverKype calls me selfish.  HA!
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/21 00:39:40 (permalink)
Keep dreaming TT.  To put ANY other weapon to use during the rut could be catastrophic to our deer herd with the number of current hunters we have.  You just can't get your head out of your arse and understand that.  Maybe if you'd quit your sissy crap and pick up a bow you could hunt during the rut; actually legally.  If there is to be a weapon to use during the rut it should be one with the MOST restrictions during the time mature bucks are MOST vulnerable to NOT devastate our herd numbers and allow for age and ratio balance.  You may get crossbows actually legal statewide - during your lifetime but it won't be during the rut if our hunter numbers stay reasonable.  That said, archery (actual archery) season by that time will be longer.    Cry me a river.

The future of crossbow season (and its length) in this state will be directly affected by the number of deer taken in the special regs areas with them.  The more deer you kill now, the shorter your season will be later.  Hammer them deer boys!  LOL

You still will not answer my simple question I've been asking this whole time.  That's fine.   If you build it, they will come. 

Skip16503
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4028
RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/21 15:19:53 (permalink)
And yet more fuel to the fire  LOL

http://www.airowgun.com/pellet.php

SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/21 17:57:19 (permalink)
Skip,

Your sarcasm is failing miserably.    It doesn't bother me.  I hear it from lots of traditional bowhunters all the time.  I don't need to pick on people to continue a conversion/debate.  Your and TT's failing attempts to continue a reasonable debate are based on emotions/attempted insults, my (and other's here) are based on facts. 

Pick on me all you want.
post edited by SilverKype - 2007/07/21 22:13:42
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/21 20:33:22 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: T.T.

If you've never shot a crossbow, I highly recommend doing so.  They are fun, they are deadly, and they offer some unique challenges all on their own

I have shot them and they are fun.  Just won't work in Pa. the way our seasons are set up. 

I hunt alot in the SRA's were they are legal and many of my buds use them.  There is no doubt how much easier they are when a deer is in range.  I have not joined them as I like the challenge of traditional archery.
Skip16503
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4028
RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/21 22:07:20 (permalink)
Jon  No sarcasm intended I was doing some research on Cross bows and just came across that.... I don't see where you sensed sarcasm Just posted it in case you guys hadn't seen it before

fishin coyote
  • Total Posts : 1670
RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/22 08:02:07 (permalink)
Quote from SK
 "The future of crossbow season (and its length) in this state will be directly affected by the number of deer taken in the special regs areas with them.  The more deer you kill now, the shorter your season will be later.  Hammer them deer boys!  LOL "

The PGC cannot even tell you how many deer are killed in a season let alone tell you what weapon they were killed with LOL
Are they gonna use the same equation that they use for report cards?

Just for the record though my opinion is that they(crossbows)are fine the way it is set-up now.(disabled/SRA's)
If they were to legalize them statewide then I'd probably get one. I don't agree with a lot of the regulations that the PGC has but I do obey by them or use them to my advantage.
Mike
post edited by fishin coyote - 2007/07/22 08:03:27
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/22 10:01:47 (permalink)
Mike,

From the same link above:

"
The Game Commission believes it should move cautiously in an effort to incorporate the use of crossbows in our deer hunting seasons so we can measure what impact, if any, crossbow hunters may have on the resource," said Vern Ross, Game Commission executive director. "Special Regulations Areas serve as fine testing grounds for the crossbow because they demand short-range sporting arms and have excessive deer populations. Our greatest interest now is measuring what type of following the crossbow attracts. Determining that will help guide us in future crossbow-hunting decisions. "

And yes,  Carl Roe said that to me in person as well.  And I agree with him, since rifles can't be in many of those areas, it's the best place to test their killing impact.  I did not get into details on how they'll do it as he was a "hot" topic and my time was more focused on poaching.

jlh42581
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1885
RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/22 19:16:09 (permalink)
You wont ever see me carry one, that takes all the fun out of it. Miles well just start rifle season in october, let it run till january if thats the case.

Fill your tags and get out of the woods so I can enjoy the times when its best. Ill find my deer.
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8507
RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/23 10:05:02 (permalink)
Wanted: cross bow. Will trade 2 compounds.

T.T.
Pro Angler
RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/23 13:53:07 (permalink)
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/24 01:14:07 (permalink)
I dont ever see crossbow users getting a season exclusive of other "conventional" archers, and it will not happen during the rut.
T.T.
Pro Angler
RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/24 10:27:02 (permalink)
Then let those ethical hunters who want to use one to fill their tags along WITH the "conventional" archers, and like with every other season/weapon, throw the book at those who aren't "quite-so-ethical".
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/27 23:48:01 (permalink)
Well, it's not really up to me.  I do believe that if crossbows were allowed, the season would have to be somewhat shorter, owing to the advantage of not having to move before shooting.  Of course, in this state, where they are always coming up with new and better ways to kill deer, you never know.  I'm sure crossbow manufacturers lobby (in some way) for a season.  I think it will happen and I really dont have much objection to it, other than holding it during the rut...and my objection there is motivated by selfishness as much as anything else.  I feel that if I "made my bones" all summer practicing with my conventional bow, I may resent someone who shot a crossbow a few times to sight it in, getting the same shot as I get at the big ones.

Ultimately, I'd be more surprised if a season was NOT created than I would be if one was.
Moses Guthrie
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 216
RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/28 12:17:52 (permalink)
I hunt in an area where crossbows are permitted and I do not see but one or two nice bucks taken a year with one. Most of the people that use crossbows hunted with compounds before they were legal, so there really is not an increase in pressure. They are a primative weapon and belong in a different season than firearms. Sure they are not the same as they was when they were created in China but the same could be same said for compounds.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: