Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
T.T.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1656
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/14 17:38:28 (permalink)

Here I go again...

I really hope you all get to read the article in the August Field & Stream on pg.70.  I'll be out there this fall trying to stick a broadhead into a buck using my crossbow, and if I do, I'll be very fortunate.  In fact, I'll be trying, once again, to kill my FIRST deer with the crossbow.  This will be the first year I'll have it out in the rut.  As is explained well enough in the article, it's not like picking up a scoped rifle that's been sitting in a cabinet since you filled your last tag, and shooting tight groups straight off. 

I'm not starting this thread to bring up the old argument about crossbows being included throughout all of archery season, rather that the weapon should have a place as a tool for hunters during the rut.  It's a close-range device, just as a recurve and compound bow are, and the best time to utilize it is during the rut, just as those other bows.  If you disagree, like the author suggests, shoot one.  You'll change your mind.

51 Replies Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/14 19:35:17 (permalink)
    It's pretty clear you are trying to start an argument based on the thread title.  I don't care what the author says on page 70, or what anyone else says, or Jesus Christ himself; crossbows are not a bow.  Just think, you could get a new treestand, with a front bar (yeah a gun rest) and sit your crossbow on there for a rest, just like a rifle.  You can put your stock on your shoulder, just like a rifle.  You can put the trigger, just like a rifle.  You can look thru a scope, just like a rifle. 

btw.. releases on a bow are freehand, a trigger is not. 

Why can't you shot a bow and arrow TT.

We have 275,000 people that hunt archery season.  60,000 of them are crossbowers.  Yeah .. I BET that many people are disabled.  uh huh.  45 pound draw will kill a deer.  My fiance can pull that back. she weighs 115 pounds.

We all want more deer and more ways to kill them.  Hilarious.
    post edited by SilverKype - 2007/07/14 19:36:05

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/14 23:47:01 (permalink)
    TT ..

I came back to this and noticed you've written 8 sentances, 6 of them being about your defense of a crossbow, 2 about actual hunting. It's pretty apparant of your purpose.

So.. HERE I GO AGAIN.

Many crossbows have a "safety" feature.

They're predrawn.

Their projectile isn't even considered an arrow but a "bolt."

A recordbook deer is not even recognized if its taken with a crossbow. There are reasons for that.

We could get REAL techincal about the internals of a crossbow and how they parallel a rifle. The internal ballistics are fixed but on a bow they are the function of the shooter.
    One thing is certain, despite today's innovative technology with the compund bow, the semantics still remain the same; it must be drawn.

I could go on and on and on.

Perhaps if you'd focus on a topic when starting a thread such as hunting the rut instead of trying to persuade with what little similiarities these two weapons have based on some article (I can show you 100 articles about their extreme differences and thousands of others backing it up .. if you'd like), we could have a constructive conversation. Until then, I hope you get a good one. 
    post edited by SilverKype - 2007/07/14 23:49:34

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/15 13:57:14 (permalink)
    You're just selfish.  ...and pig-headed  ...and short-sighted   ...and a conformist.

I've also typed and deleted about 30 sentences since you first responded.  I've figured out that there's no changing your mind on any of this issue, so don't take it as an attack on you personally.

I guess I could have gone a different route with my title, but that doesn't change my purpose, regardless of what you think.  I just can't understand the opposition to another viable option for ethical hunters. 

psst!  conformity: " is the process by which people's beliefs or behaviors are influenced by others. People can be influenced via subtle, even unconscious processes, or by direct and overt peer pressure. Conformity can have either good or bad effects on people, from driving safely on the right side of the road, to harmful drug or alcohol abuse. Conformity is a group behavior. Numerous factors, such as group size, unanimity, cohesion, status, prior commitment and public opinion all help to determine the level of conformity an individual will reflect towards his or her group. Conformity influences the formation and maintenance of social norms."

In this case, I believe it is a bad effect.  i.e. exclusion

How's this sound, instead of grouping crossbows with archery since it's not a gun, and many say it's not a bow(even though it is), give us our own season, say October 27th through November 10th.  Sounds good to me.
    post edited by T.T. - 2007/07/15 13:58:33
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/15 22:28:47 (permalink)
    How about during that Muzzleloader doe season in October.

Cant you use em during rifle?

The crossbow is definitely a short range weapon, but you have to admit that walking around with it cocked and ready is a huge advantage over having to draw a conventional longbow or compound.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/15 23:58:54 (permalink)
    I'm not so sure about that.  I've been busted with my pants around my ankles doing my business, only to have the deer run off.  I've also shot at the same deer 3 times with the flintlock(obviously missing) only to have that same deer just trot off, seemingly laughing.  I'm sure pulling back on the bow string does spook some deer, especially wise, mature bucks, but there are great advantages to a hand-held bow.  The arc isn't as tall, so shooting a crossbow requires a whole lot larger "shot window".  Also, most archery hunters are high up in a tree stand.  I can't do those anymore. 

This wasn't about comparisons, just that there should be room out there for this weapon that soooo many "archers" feel threatened by.  Are you, DD?

My problem with the early muzzleloader is that it is doe only.  I see plenty of antlers, but can't fill my buck tag.  I scout, I learn, I talk to landowners and hunters, and opening day of rifle season is a frikin' mad-house out there.  I just want to fill my tags, and I'd stand a much better chance of doing that where I hunt during what is now archery season.  I'll re-state this, I'm not a trophy hunter, but a tag-filling meat hunter.  If I could have my tags filled before rifle season, I'd be happy.  Heck, that would give me more time on the steelhead streams. 

Just like hand-held bow hunters, a crossbow hunter should have the chance to fill their tags without competing with gun hunters.  The only deer I ever hit with my crossbow was a huge buck, that was dragged off on a four-wheel buggy about 200 yards away from where I hit it.  Mr. Rifle-hunter said he killed it, and I never heard his shot.  I only got to see where my blood trail ended near his tire tracks.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/19 22:03:35 (permalink)
    Here's a great discussion on a hunting board.  It's an old discussion, but Big Tom has it right on!

http://realdealhuntingchat.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=4811
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/19 22:14:20 (permalink)
    I dont have a problem with crossbows.  I do know this, if I was within 20 yards of a trophy buck and my choices of movement were either drawing back a compound or recurve, or moving my finger to trigger a crossbow, I'd rather be moving my finger.  As far as that goes, there may be less movement generated to fire a crossbow than a flintlock.  You cant compare that to the motion of drawing a conventional bow.  And surely you agree that it is to your advantage to keep movement to a minimum in the presence of deer if you hope to shoot one.

I'm sure that there are certain skills required to shoot a crossbow effectively and I dont believe they have any range advantage over a conventional bow, but I believe that it would be easier to master a crossbow than a conventional compound or recurve.  I would liken mastering the crossbow much more to learning to shoot a rifle.  You probably shoot it a lot when you first get it to get the "hang" of it, then, as time goes by, you shoot it occasionally to "keep your eye" or sight it in, but that is all that is required.  Conventional archers must shoot a lot more, not only to maintain sight in, but to keep muscles used in drawing and holding in good shape.

Again, I dont have a negative stance on crossbow use (as maybe the other poster on here might), but I do take issue with comparisons to conventional bows.  Crossbows are much more like rifles than many crossbow fans want to admit.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/19 23:10:05 (permalink)
    Your second paragraph rings with the truth.  Anyone who really is ethical would not go in the woods to use one if they were only shooting as you say "to keep your eye", just as a rifle shooter shouldn't aproach their season that way.  I know it happens, but no one ever tried to keep people from using rifles to hunt deer because some riflemen are lazy.  Except SilverKype.

They actually are at a range-disadvantage.  Less retained kinetic energy and faster drop.

"there may be less movement generated to fire a crossbow than a flintlock."

I got you on this one.  I know you said you're not really arguing against them, but I've got to say this much...

Think about it.  There's more movement.  Or, at least more to move.  You've got the wide beams of the crossbow sticking out to the sides of your body profile.  I've never been able to shoot at a deer with my crossbow when I didn't raise it before the deer came remotely in-range.  I was busted EVERY time I had to raise the thing in front of a deer.  I've stood mere yards away from deer and have been able to pull my flinter or rifle up to shoulder it to fire before they realized my movements.  I've never hunted deer with a hand-held bow, but I've got to think the hand and arm movements involved are similar to raising a rifle (and crossbow), except for the elbow.  I'm thinking that's what gets you busted.  That elbow sticking way out to the side of your profile.  Then again, you're also up in a tree, right?

There's got to be more people with opinions on this than the 3 of us.  I guess they are all still fishing.  Me, well the minute I've got to start getting my tags bought and ordered is when bass season ends.  **** the PAGC.  They've effectively ruined mid to late summer fishing.  It's all about venison from now on.

...until the tribs start to get runs.
    post edited by T.T. - 2007/07/19 23:12:41
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/20 00:19:58 (permalink)

Quit putting words into my mouth TT.

Tell me how you can and have in the past legally hunted with a crossbow.

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/20 00:31:56 (permalink)
    You didn't say please.
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/20 00:38:42 (permalink)
    T.T. You gotta bring that thing over here sometime so I can see what the hype is all about...........

And SK Yes I can use it legally when you back and neck are held together with titanium plates and screws it qualifies ya.. 

Had to get thet in that before you hammered me too  LOL

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/20 00:41:46 (permalink)
    Anytime.  What's your real motive?  Neighbor's cat trying to make babies with your's?
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/20 00:43:46 (permalink)
    I guess I have trouble believing a 36 year old who fishes steelhead (yeah they pull pretty hard sometimes), can't pull back a 40 pound bow.  Oh, I saw a young fella shoot a doe with 30 draw.  He is nine.  With letoff .. that's about 10 pounds.

You must be in REALLY bad shape TT.

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/20 00:46:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: T.T.

Anytime.  What's your real motive?  Neighbor's cat trying to make babies with your's?

Groundhogs and Skunks  LOL 

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/20 00:52:47 (permalink)
    It's not legal for groundhogs, but I'll have to look into the skunks. 

SK, that 30 lb draw ain't legal in PA, so I'm assumin' you're talking about a doe target, right?
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/20 00:56:20 (permalink)
    BTW T.T.  The wife and I made it 25 Years as of today woo hoo Ya think we might make it another 25????????

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/20 00:59:25 (permalink)
    **** you!  I was just about to type the pm!  That tick story distracted me, then this thread. 

Happy 25 years!  Hell, she's put up with you this long, what's another 25?
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/20 01:01:52 (permalink)
    Remember she kicked me out   To the rear she got tired of all my fly tying and rod building taking up the front room

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/20 01:03:02 (permalink)
    That was on television TT.  A real deer.

So .. I guess you won't answer the question.  Surprise surprise.

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/20 01:09:12 (permalink)
    What do they say?  Distance makes the heart grow fonder.

Back to the topic at hand.  Why are you, and so many like you, so threatened by crossbows, SilverKype?  Don't give me the argument about slobs, as every season and every weapon attracts it's fair share of them.  Do you really think there will be that many more people in the woods because of them?  If I thought that, I'd say keep 'em separate as well.  Anyone who knows me knows that I'm all for reducing our herd. 
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/20 01:18:54 (permalink)
    Yes, let's get back to the topic.  How can and in the past you legally shoot a crossbow? 

We've discussed your questions a thousand times. 
    post edited by SilverKype - 2007/07/20 01:19:39

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/20 01:20:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SilverKype

I guess I have trouble believing a 36 year old who fishes steelhead (yeah they pull pretty hard sometimes), can't pull back a 40 pound bow.  Oh, I saw a young fella shoot a doe with 30 draw.  He is nine.  With letoff .. that's about 10 pounds.

Jon just for the record I fight Steel all season but still can not draw a bow enough to be proficient.....

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/20 01:31:28 (permalink)
    Read the rule book.  Then, review the past oh, maybe 5 year's copies as well.  Maybe 4, maybe 6, I can't recall off the top of my head.  It may have been the best thing Tom Ridge ever did as Governor.  Unfortunately, that's not saying much for his administration.

Then, please answer my question to you.

Why are you, and so many like you, so threatened by crossbows?
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/20 08:49:36 (permalink)
    Good morning TT ---

You sure are reluctant to answer the question. 

In case you misunderstood -- ONCE AGAIN, I asked why YOU can legally shoot a crossbow.   Why can't you answer that? 

I didn't ask what the law was.

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/20 09:12:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Skip16503

ORIGINAL: SilverKype

Jon just for the record I fight Steel all season but still can not draw a bow enough to be proficient.....

Well Skip..

I hope you go buy a crossbow and get out there and enjoy it because it is a wonderful time to be in the woods.  I lived in Erie for a few years and found it very difficult to put down the fishing rod to go hunting.  People back home just couldn't believe it.. until they hooked a dimebright chromer. 

In today's treestands, even someone disabled can climb.  There are sit in climbers available and they are light..  I used one for a few years and it's not any more strenuous than driving a manual transmission.  My father still uses one at times because he has lower back problems.

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/20 11:52:33 (permalink)
    Just gotta add my $.02

There are a few reasons I believe that crossbows do not belong in archery season. But, before I get to those reasons, let me explain my paradigm of archery season. Archery hunting, to me, is a season that takes skill, patience, year long practice, and persistance. To me, archery hunting is not intended to be easy, one reason is the effective range of a bow. The other is that a bow is typically harder to shoot than a rifle or crossbow, due to the fact that you have to draw a lot of weight, and hold it until a responsable shot presents itself. You can not "rest" a bow on a solid object to make yourself more accurate in the same way you can a crossbow, or rifle. Therefore, you rely on your own skill, rather than resting you weapon to make your shot comparatively easier. Also, crossbows are often affixed with scopes which can make a shot with a crossbow easier in the same way it makes shooting a rifle easier.

Crossbows and bows are only similar in the way that they launch an arrow with a string and limbs. Otherwise, crossbows are more similar to rifles, except for thier range, which unfortunately, many ignorant people believe is much further than a bow.

My opinion is that most people want to use a crossbow, because they feel it is much easier to shoot, and don't want to put in the practice time to learn to shoot a bow. These are people that essentially want to hunt archery season, but don't want to be inconvenienced with the amount of time it takes to be accurate with a bow. 

I understand not everyone can effectively shoot a bow due to back problems etc... Those that truley cant shoot a bow for this reason, I believe, should be allowed to hunt with a crossbow. Otherwise, if you want to hunt archery season, buy a bow and learn to shoot it. Just like, if you want to fish in a flyfish only area on a stream, buy a flyrod. Nobody is stopping you.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/20 12:19:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: thedrake

My opinion is that most people want to use a crossbow, because they feel it is much easier to shoot, and don't want to put in the practice time to learn to shoot a bow. These are people that essentially want to hunt archery season, but don't want to be inconvenienced with the amount of time it takes to be accurate with a bow. 

I agree with that assertion totally.  If you want to use one, You have plenty of time in the firearms and muzzleloader seasons to do so.  Most will choose to take thier gun though instead.  Why, because it the gun makes it easier to harvest an animal.  Same goes for the crossbow/bow thing.  The focus being the harvest instead of the hunt.

In Pennsylvania we have a unique setting.  300,000 archers we are dealing with.  If crossbows were legalized statewide for archery, we would see alot of our not so committed archers buying them up.  The harvest would surely go up and the seasons may be shortened substantially. 

Many other states that allow crossbows for archery have far fewer archers and the dent they make in the population would not compare to Pa.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/20 13:11:17 (permalink)
    Couldn't agree more guys.

I have already talked with the CEO of PA Game Commission about crossbows in PA.  He didn't care to say much until I told him I'd just listen and I did.

He didn't give an opinion on when they will become legal, he's not sure.  It is my opinion, at some point, they will, because of declining license sales and the need to make up that void. That said, archery season will be from Sept - January by then.    Dpms hit the nail on the head.  Carl Roe said seasons will be shorter.  You MAY have a shorter rifle season.  Is that what you want?  Let's not be SELFISH now.  Let the crossbowers hunt too. Oh no .. now it's threatening your rifle season.  LOL    You could make a bet that your early muzzloader season (you won't be getting an antlered season here boys) will be gone if crossbows come in too.  You still want it?  We only have so many resources and can only allow so much demand for them in a given season.  We certainly don't want LESS deer do we?  Then , we'd be ****ing about that.   Anyone think it's ok to implement semi-auto's during rifle?  Sad thing is some people you use them if they could.  Where does the line get drawn?  When is enough just that, .... enough?

I'll be a little more blunt than the two fellas above.  Bowhunters don't want a bunch of "chumps" entering the woods that don't belong there with crossbows.  Same goes for traditional archers.  They didn't want a bunch of chumps entering the woods with compounds.  It's the truth -- accept it.

I totally agree with the temporary crossbow permit for actual disabled folks..  The fact of the matter is though, people take advantage of it.  Cheating the law to gain an unfair advantage is SELFISH.  That right there, is why I don't like crossbows other than the fact that people keep telling me they are a bow and arrow.

God forbid you use a "lesser" weapon in rifle season.
    post edited by SilverKype - 2007/07/20 13:12:49

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Here I go again... 2007/07/20 16:23:50 (permalink)
    ONCE AGAIN, I asked why YOU can legally shoot a crossbow.

I CAN shoot one because I own one, and former Governor Ridge took them off the prohibited weapons list.  If you are ignorant of the game code, that's your problem.

dpms stated:  "If you want to use one, You have plenty of time in the firearms and muzzleloader seasons to do so."

That's what's got a bug up my butt.  Why should crossbow hunters have to compete with bullets?  I'm not satisfied with having to compete with bullets, just as you "traditionalists" aren't thrilled about competing with crossbows.  The day will come when they are joined as one in the rule book with hand-held bows, just as the compounds became lumped in with recurves and long bows.  Why spew venom toward ethical hunters who want choices?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: