Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program

Author
thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/09 17:44:30 (permalink)

Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program

As most of you know, the fish and boat commission implemented a charter boat and fishing guide program 2 years ago. This program requires anyone who wishes to be a fishing guide to pay $100 (resident) and $400 (non resident). Applicants also have to provide proof of insurance, and cpr/first aid certification. I feel this is a good thing for obvious reasons.

However, this program that the PFBC is making money on, does not regulate anything else. For example, for the past 2 years, I have been a licensed guide with the PFBC, and I have not yet had to prove that I know anything about fishing! Do any of you agree with me, in saying that if the PFBC is going to regulate guiding, that there should be qualifications that need to be met in order to recieve a guide permit? There is nothing in place to test me to see if I know the difference between a trout and a sucker (i'll be waiting for a joke in the next post..silverkype, duncsdad, jlh etc..) ....Or to see if I know how to properly release and revive a fish. As long as he/she is insured and is certified in CPR/first aid and can come up with $100, they can become a fishing guide. Heck, I pay less money to stay licensed in real estate in a years time, than I do to renew my fishing guide permit, and real estate agents are tested thoroughly. 

I noticed recently, an outfitter that recently opened in state college, had written on their board showing current hatches, that #8 slate drakes, and #12-18 sulphurs where hatching. In case you dont flyfish, there is truley no such bug as a size 8 slate drake, or a size 12 sulphur. This outfitter, who runs a guiding operation, is teaching this to new flyfishers. This kind of BS could be avoided by having a test put in place by the PFBC, that would require guides to actually know what they are doing. This would protect the consumers, who rely on guides, by making sure guides are qualified to teach fishing.

There are a few topics I feel should be on a test, they are as follows:
-Ethics
-Proper handling of fish
-Fish identification
-Aquatic entomology (flyfishing guides only)
-Knowledge of PFBC laws & creel limits
-Wading safety

To conclude this post, guides are hired by consumers to teach them how to fish. The PFBC requires guides to be licensed to do this, but does not require a guide to have any knowledge whatsoever. Sound a little rediculous? I think so.

29 Replies Related Threads

Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program 2007/07/09 23:13:23 (permalink)
    I don't know, I think in the long run the bad ones are weeded out.  I disagree that someone should have to pass an aquatic entomology test to be a flyfishing guide.  I've fly fished for trout since I was 5, and never really did need to learn  much about them.  I know a little, but there are many people who know their bugs way better than I, they are usually the guys climbing on my back on the stream trying to figure out what I'm catching them on. A dozen patterns will get it done pretty much anywhere.  

I will agree that if they don't know what's hatching they shouldn't claim they do.
    bluntman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program 2007/07/10 18:47:16 (permalink)
    The PFBC couldnt give a rats****as to your qualifications, as long as your check to them doesnt bounce your qualified , as for charter boat captains, what in the hell does paying a 100 bucks do to make you safer or more qualified, this kind of state endorsed blackmail really ****es me off
    Slate_Drake_9
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program 2007/07/11 21:02:51 (permalink)
    From what I know of guides and the folks who use them there are 3 reasons they are hired.

1.  To learn how to fish.  Sometimes, but not all that often.

2.  To gain access to waters that only those guides have access to.  A lot of the time.

3.  To have someone show them exactly where the fish is because they are either not familiar with the water they are on and can't bear to spend money on a fishing trip not to catch many fish or they just don't know how to read a stream.  Probably majority of the time.

Quite frankly, other than reason number one, there is no need to know how to fish to be a guide.

Charter boats are a bit different because many times the sport is interested in access to a boat, not fishing skills of the captain.

Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

Slate Drake
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program 2007/07/12 00:04:10 (permalink)
    They spend too much money stocking creeks that are not meant to sustain life for a fish.

They need to build and additional launch on the west side of Erie, PA

They need to enforce safe boating and fishing ethics more thoroughly.

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program 2007/07/12 20:03:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Slate_Drake_9

From what I know of guides and the folks who use them there are 3 reasons they are hired.

1.  To learn how to fish.  Sometimes, but not all that often.

2.  To gain access to waters that only those guides have access to.  A lot of the time.

3.  To have someone show them exactly where the fish is because they are either not familiar with the water they are on and can't bear to spend money on a fishing trip not to catch many fish or they just don't know how to read a stream.  Probably majority of the time.

Quite frankly, other than reason number one, there is no need to know how to fish to be a guide.

Charter boats are a bit different because many times the sport is interested in access to a boat, not fishing skills of the captain.

"Quite frankly, other than reason number one, there is no need to know how to fish to be a guide"

WOW, that tops the list of rediculous statements I've seen on this message board. Thanks for the good laugh!
    worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program 2007/07/12 20:41:31 (permalink)
    "Charter boats are a bit different because many times the sport is interested in access to a boat, not fishing skills of the captain."

You should stick to fly fishing.  It's quite obvious you are a one trick pony.w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

Slate_Drake_9
    Avid Angler
    RE: Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program 2007/07/12 20:54:22 (permalink)

"Quite frankly, other than reason number one, there is no need to know how to fish to be a guide"

WOW, that tops the list of rediculous statements I've seen on this message board. Thanks for the good laugh!

So please explain the fishing knowledge required to walk next to someone on a private stream/pond/lake/whatever so they are permitted to be there.  How many guys hire a guide so they can fish the private parts of say Spruce Creek, for instance. 

Also explain to me how much fishing knowledge is needed to point someone to a place where they can catch a fish.  Reading water may be necessary, but you can just watch someone else catch fish there and then tell your sport, "you'll do good over there."  Take for instance most, if not all of the Erie tribs during the peak steelhead runs.  Many guys hire a guide for that too.

In your post you talked about "fishing skills" like entomology, wading, PAFBC law knowledge, proper handling of fish, etc.  I really don't see how any of these skills are needed to complete the above two tasks and I believe that these tasks are why a majority of folks hire a guide on a stream.

Slate Drake
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program 2007/07/12 23:26:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Slate_Drake_9

So please explain the fishing knowledge required to walk next to someone on a private stream/pond/lake/whatever so they are permitted to be there.  How many guys hire a guide so they can fish the private parts of say Spruce Creek, for instance. 

Also explain to me how much fishing knowledge is needed to point someone to a place where they can catch a fish.  Reading water may be necessary, but you can just watch someone else catch fish there and then tell your sport, "you'll do good over there."  Take for instance most, if not all of the Erie tribs during the peak steelhead runs.  Many guys hire a guide for that too.

In your post you talked about "fishing skills" like entomology, wading, PAFBC law knowledge, proper handling of fish, etc.  I really don't see how any of these skills are needed to complete the above two tasks and I believe that these tasks are why a majority of folks hire a guide on a stream.

The problem with your statement is that you are assuming all people being guided just want to fish private water, and already know how to fish. That's just not true.

In my years of guiding, I have guided very few people that were good fisherman. Most clients need at least some guidance with their casting, fly selection, bug identification etc... That is why most people hire a guide.
    Dr. Fotios
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program 2007/07/13 09:32:05 (permalink)
    Drake and SlateDrake. I understand both of your points. Your both right the only difference is your both approaching this from different angles. In the end stillhead is right the good guides will continue and the bad guides will be weeded out. Capitalism. But that having been said I believe it begs the question should capitalism and financial gain be the deciding factor??? The mission statement of the PFBC is as follows:
    The mission of the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission is to provide fishing and boating opportunities through the protection and management of aquatic resources.

In a statement about reptiles and amphibians the state also says:
    The purpose of our regulations regarding the sale of reptiles and amphibians is to minimize exploitation of wild populations by eliminating a profit motive

So clearly one can see the PFBC's main purpose is to protect and manage our wildlife and to ensure that the health and population numbers are maintained first and foremost. They are serious about the wildlife, watersheds and woodlands and protecting these are there first foremost and only priority and objective. They ensure that some of us less scrupulous individuals who only care about financial gains dont exploit or harm the wildlife to that end. Its great that we have such a morally sound and focused "Big Brother" to help protect us and save us from our own ignorance and the destruction that would result without them. This is a load of BULL****.
    Bluntman hit the nail on the head! The PFBC's only purpose is to make a profit! They do this under the guise of their important protector role of the wildlife and environment. They are a business and the environment and wildlife are their commodity which they are happy to give us access to if we pay their price. Where does their profit go? Well it goes back to them to help pay for the job they have created for themselves. It also goes into other areas like stocking etc. but those funds are only utilized in areas that can turn a profit an example being trout stamps. Its illegal and morally/ethically wrong to release non-natives in our watersheds that is unless your the PFBC and your motive is strictly financial. Funny doesnt seem to fit with the statement:
    minimize exploitation of wild populations by eliminating a profit motive

Over all I totaly agree with theDrake. If someones a guide they should have to show a thorough understanding of the laws along with biology and ecology. But if you still have doubts about the PFBC's agenda just look at what they require for guide licenses:
    This program requires anyone who wishes to be a fishing guide to pay $100 (resident) and $400 (non resident). Applicants also have to provide proof of insurance, and cpr/first aid certification.

This is called CYA they want the money and the only thing there attorneys (obviously very learned biologists) felt was necessary in order for them to make the money was some legal requirements to protect the state and their profits. Clearly in this you can see that they dont give a s h i t about the wildlife or the watersheds. This really is a form of blackmail. Its a joke and a crock of s h i t so is Rendell but thats another issue.
    post edited by Dr. Fotios - 2007/07/13 10:08:16
    curtisb733
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program 2007/07/14 13:27:54 (permalink)
    Nice conversation guys. I for one am very grateful for all the PFBC have done for our state and the fishing oppertunity's they have provided. If not for them all of the land would be private and only you're "buddy" would get to go. I live on wallenpaupack and people who own lake front still think they own the shore line(which is public 100' from the waters edge). SO!!!!    I am glad and will pay a whole lot more to keep them in "business"  $100 a year for a guide lisence OMG give me a break, how much do you make???????  Support them for they will help provide fishing and boating for "our" children in the future
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program 2007/07/14 22:28:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: curtisb733

Nice conversation guys. I for one am very grateful for all the PFBC have done for our state and the fishing oppertunity's they have provided. If not for them all of the land would be private and only you're "buddy" would get to go. I live on wallenpaupack and people who own lake front still think they own the shore line(which is public 100' from the waters edge). SO!!!!    I am glad and will pay a whole lot more to keep them in "business"  $100 a year for a guide lisence OMG give me a break, how much do you make???????  Support them for they will help provide fishing and boating for "our" children in the future

If you take the time to actually read my post, I dont complain about the amount of money charged for a permit. I complian about the lack of regulation. In any other occupation that requires a license, there are credentials that have to be met and tests in place to see if you actually know something about your field. With guiding, there are a few subjects that I feel all guides should know and be tested on.

"If not for them all of the land would be private and only you're "buddy" would get to go"

The PFBC has very little to do with streams being open for public use. For 99.9% of stream access, you can thank the generous land owners who own the streams, not the PFBC. The PFBC does provide access to lakes, that's something I wont compain about.

bluntman
    Expert Angler
    RE: Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program 2007/07/14 22:53:52 (permalink)
    That was also my point, My wife is a nurse, she had to take a test, I have an appraisers license, I had to take a test, The point we were trying to make was the PFBC doesnt care about anything except the money or  applicants would have to pass a test of some sort, that is of course assuming at least 1 person within the PFBC can read and write enough to come up with a few questions and call it a test
    post edited by bluntman - 2007/07/14 22:55:26
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program 2007/07/15 02:03:47 (permalink)
    The yearly cost for my appraisers licence went from $10 a year to $50 a year.
    I must be more skilled because it costs more,

My inspection licences and emission inspection licence are the same so I am probably just as dumb as before.
    Slate_Drake_9
    Avid Angler
    RE: Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program 2007/07/15 10:23:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: thedrake

"If not for them all of the land would be private and only you're "buddy" would get to go"

The PFBC has very little to do with streams being open for public use. For 99.9% of stream access, you can thank the generous land owners who own the streams, not the PFBC. The PFBC does provide access to lakes, that's something I wont compain about.

Mabe in your area, but in mine, our officers have went door to door just about every year with land owners to keep private property accessable by the public.  But yes, it is still ultimately because of gracious landowners allowing us to use their land.

Slate Drake
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program 2007/07/15 13:22:29 (permalink)
    Pittsburgh Post Gazette 7/15/07
    New licensing requirements have fishing guides in Pennsylvania reelingHere's the catch Sunday, July 15, 2007 By Deborah Weisberg
    When Jim Burr retired from the steel industry, he decided to realize a long-time dream. A year ago, he started a guide service on Lake Arthur in Butler County, near his home in Portersville. It would combine his two favorite things -- feeding people and helping them catch fish aboard a 21-foot Bass Tracker pontoon boat he purchased for his venture, Muddycreek Fish 'N Food. Although some fishing guides might be skirting the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission's new guide licensing requirement, Burr wanted to do everything by the book, which includes paying a $100 per year license fee, assorted commercial boat registration and food handler fees, CPR and First Aid training, and $900 for liability insurance, the cheapest he could find. Burr also had to pay the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources a $100-a-year commercial user's fee to operate on Lake Arthur -- a bureaucratic nightmare that took three months and intervention by a state senator to resolve, forcing Burr to reschedule trips just as he was getting started. "I have mixed feelings about this whole thing," Burr said. "You need checks and balances, otherwise you'd have some guy drinking at a bar saying, 'Heck, yeah, I'm a guide. I'll take you out.' But every step in this process has been a real education." Compared with the $280 per day cost of renting a smaller 20-foot pontoon boat from the state concession at Moraine State Park, Burr's trips are a real bargain at $275 for up to four customers, including meals, tackle and bait, and disposable camera. "The park hasn't chased me, but they haven't sent business my way, either," said Burr, who pays a $400 yearly mooring fee at Moraine but isn't permitted, as a commercial user, to pick up passengers at the marina. His DCNR contract also states he has to serve the same soft drinks the park carries. "This isn't my living. If it were, I wouldn't be able to do this. I figured I'd have to make $2,500 a year just to break even, considering fuel, insurance and everything. I haven't decided whether I'll be back next year." Burr is one of 207 wading guides or charter boat captains who have registered with the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission since it implemented the licensing requirement last year. That's more than double the number who had voluntarily registered with the commission before that, according to agency spokesman Dan Tredinnick. "What's the point of the license? To get a handle on how many folks out there are guiding," he said, "and because we believe that folks who are directly profiting from the resource should help pay for that resource." Their fees have so far generated $48,610 for the state agency. The Fish Commission doesn't set qualifications for guides, although Tredinnick said those who have purchased licenses claim the program has separated "the fly-by-nighters from the professionals." And the agency doesn't mediate disputes between customers and guides, although it does get the occasional complaint when a client runs into problems, and too many about a particular guide, Tredinnick said, "might make us take a second look at a guide when his license comes up for renewal." Among guides, the biggest complaint is the cost of insurance, which, in a post-9/11 world, is offered by just a few companies specializing in water-related and other adventure activities. Although Tredinnick calls it "the cost of doing business, and hard to argue with if you're making $400 a day," guides say it is a major expense, on top of equipment upkeep, motel, fuel bills and taxes. "I don't know any guides out there getting rich, especially in Pennsylvania, where everything is so seasonal," said full-time guide Mark DeCarlo of Indiana, who takes clients on the water about 100 days a year. He charges $275 per client and $50 for each additional person. His float trips are $325. DeCarlo was paying $600 a year for $2 million in liability coverage even before licensing became mandatory in Pennsylvania. Veteran fly-fishing guide Larry Rummel of Gallion, Ohio, also pays $600 a year to insure steelheading trips in Ohio, New York and Pennsylvania. "And I don't even have a boat. That's the kicker," he said. Rummel is one of 30 non-resident guides who pay $400 for an annual Pennsylvania license. Ohio doesn't have licensing and New York charges both resident and non-resident guides just $75 for five years, plus $25 for a one-time test of map reading and other basic skills. "Why Pennsylvania charges out-of-staters four times more than residents is something I can't understand," Rummel said. "And Pennsylvania doesn't do any kind of testing." He also questions Pennsylvania's diligence in cracking down on unlicensed guides. "I've turned in three [unlicensed] guides myself," he said, "and they tell the officers they're just fishing with buddies, and the commission has done nothing. Or they get around it by calling themselves 'instructors,' not guides. I've seen them myself up in Erie, on weekends, without insurance, undercutting my price. " According to Tredinnick, "If you are operating a commercial enterprise that leads somebody on the water for the purposes of fishing, you are a guide even if you call yourself the Easter Bunny." He admits, however, that enforcement is neither easy nor the agency's top priority. The Fish Commission "busted" fewer than 10 unlicensed guides last year, he said. "Most times, we got tips from competitors and pursued them," he said. "In other cases, they had advertised in a newspaper, so we had an officer call up and book a trip." Guiding without a license carries a $400 fine for resident first-time offenders, and $1,000 for non-residents, plus costs, and increases another $200 with each subsequent violation, Tredinnick said.
    bluntman
    Expert Angler
    RE: Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program 2007/07/15 13:45:14 (permalink)
    Is PA so proud of their gestapo mentality thet they always make sure to publish the fines, do other states do this in their rules and regulations ?
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program 2007/07/15 23:30:18 (permalink)
    I lost a copy of my guide permit a few weeks ago while on the stream. I called the Cindy Snyder (the person in charge of issueing guide permits) to find out what I needed to do to get a new copy. I was told that I could not guide until I got a new copy. I was also told that if I would guide without the paper copy of my guide permit, that I would recieve a $1000 minimum fine. Sound A little rediculous? I thought so too, so I called the director of law enforcement, he told me this was not true. I just think it was funny how she was so quick to point out that I would be fined $1000, even though I was still licensed until the end of the year, and listed on thier website as a licensed fishing guide.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program 2007/07/16 00:19:28 (permalink)
    No 2 people in any government agency will ever give the same answer if they are able to answer at all!

Luke 9:23
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 283
    RE: Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program 2007/07/16 07:01:43 (permalink)
    Right you are Marty!

Luke 9:23
    carpin06
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 498
    RE: Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program 2007/07/16 23:10:32 (permalink)
    I'm on the fence with this one..being on a few charter's with diferent cap's..

some know there stuff and others are on the radio all day looking for info...
    and others just cost to much. not to knock all but some need more time ..and the one's with less time charge less for a ride on a nice boat!!! like i said not to knock you but you know who you are....

I have hade some great time's and i will not indorse one or the other..

to the new guy's take your time get what you can and you will do good...
    word's of a long time cap... Ho yeah stream guide's go for a walk find your spot......
    post edited by carpin06 - 2007/07/16 23:14:49
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program 2007/07/18 19:53:34 (permalink)
    Dan,

I think you would find it difficult to locate someone at the PFBC that could come up with a meaningful test that actually pertained to fishing.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program 2007/07/19 11:24:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: duncsdad

Dan,

I think you would find it difficult to locate someone at the PFBC that could come up with a meaningful test that actually pertained to fishing.

Good point.....
    sudsy1000
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program 2007/07/19 22:59:57 (permalink)
    The guide license program certianly hasn't done anything to keep these****and pillage out of state guides off the lower susquehanna river.  Come here and fish the beds for two months and then slip back south to virginia and maryland for another year, with the PFBC blessing.  The PFBC is the worst run conservation agency in the country bar none.  I challenge any of you to demonstrate one program that they successfully operate.  The trout stocking program is bankrupting the agency and their now killing the smallmouth fishery.  Don't worry the steelhead will be next.

southern trout
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program 2007/07/19 23:19:23 (permalink)
    It sounds as if there are too many guides and not enough business to go around.
    Get real guys there is more than one state to fish and only 2 states on Lake Erie require Guides to be licensed.
    spaceace60
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 212
    RE: Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program 2007/08/08 09:59:43 (permalink)
    From an outsiders point of view i think 99% of the ppl who use charters are because they don't have access to a boat  bigger than a bass boat and all proper equipment needed such as down riggers and other gear anyother gear that is used?? or that maybe it would cost as much to drag their boat to that particular location as it would to take a charter! they may take into consideration that if charters fish those waters on an everyday  basis than chances are they will put the boat on fish faster than the average Joe??     trust me there are alot of excellent and knowledgable fishermen out there who use charters!! but i will also agree they should take and pass a test to make sure they know boating regulations and saftey regs and also how to read electronics(ie gps ect ect) i mean hell i am a taxidermist and the state makes you do a written and hands on test as well as inspecting several of you personal mounts to make sure you can do what you say you can do! and last but not least they(PGA)collects a $100 a yr for that licence as well lol!
    Thats_Hot
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program 2007/08/09 12:06:32 (permalink)
    I think... A test would be difficult to create.  Multiple tests would definitely be needed so a guy who wanted to run charters on Erie wouldn't need to know what size sulphurs are coming off Penns Creek on what dates.  But that would be a lot of different tests.  I'd contend the PAFBC needs to have some sort of way to monitor it's licensed guides and make sure that misinformation wasn't being propagated.  Whether that be someone like Eric Stroup at TCO telling people he has more than two times the experience he really has or a client having some kind of number they could call to register a complaint.  I'm sure if a client has a poor time and believes they were not given what they paid for, they could call the PAFBC, but what would they do about it?  As far as I know, there's nothing in place to monitor these complaints.

Since all the PAFBC does is collect $100 from each guide in the state, they must be doing so under the guise that this is an industry that must be monitored.  Only, it doesn't seem like they're monitoring it other than knowing how many guides there are and where they live.  To keep it alive and continue to have Guided Fishing Trips be a source of state income, they need to manage it a little more than they are doing now.  I believe Montana requires a guide to be endorsed by an "outfitter."  The outfitter needs 100 days guiding experience and must have passed some form of a written test.  I have no idea what's on that test, but at least it looks like Montana gives a crap about this form of state tourism/income more than just $100 a head.

As far as capitalism taking over and getting rid of the bad ones... I agree that shops/guides that continually give out bad info will typically go by the wayside, but the client of these shops/guides needs to find out that it's bad info for that to happen.  I've seen on a number of boards complaining about shops like TCO and at least one employee at FlyFishers Paradise giving out really bad information, to the point that they'd never go back.  I'm sure it's a small percentage of fly fisherman that have read those posts.  I'd suspect a lot of people hiring guides wouldn't know good from bad info.  A guide giving good info and instruction is not necessarily going to have a client that catches more fish than a client with a guide that has bad info and poor instruction.  This isn't guiding river rafting adventures where all the client has to do is sit there and paddle when told.  The client still has to be able to do the basics and my guess is that some just can't.

And I agree, the statement, "Quite frankly, other than reason number one, there is no need to know how to fish to be a guide" is one of the funnier things I've ever seen posted.  Unless you're chucking brown beetles on Donny Beaver's water, you need to know how to fish in order to be a guide.  Getting a person on to fish is one thing, but getting them to hook a fish is a lot different on real water.  If the guide doesn't know how to do it then the client sure as hell won't be able to.
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program 2007/08/16 22:12:22 (permalink)
    I think anyone that gets a guide license should know what there doing But how would you test them or question them on there knowledge? Most guides I'm sure a really good fishermen even when some of the best fishermen Charter they get in the mindset of everything being about the cash. Where is the guide money being spent?
    TiogaSteel
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program 2010/06/04 10:35:38 (permalink)
    TheDrake sputtered:

TheIn case you dont flyfish, there is truley no such bug as a size 8 slate drake, or a size 12 sulphur.

Dear Mr TheDrake:
    Perhaps it would be a wise decision, since you are a "guide", to do a search for Ephemerella Rotunda and/or Ephemerella Invaria?
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Some thoughts on the PFBC guide license program 2010/06/04 11:38:25 (permalink)
    The guide license was brought forth as a means to collect money on an untapped resource---prior to implementing the guide license, a guide could have paid the PFBC 50 bucks to be listed on their website as a fishing guide----

Maryland has testing for guides---

One thing that bothers me is that you have to pay the PFBC to be a PFBC licensed guide, yet they do nothing to PROMOTE you as a guide---you have to search the website for GUIDES---there should be a space on the main webpage that simply is displayed LICENSED PA FISHING GUIDES---if you are going to charge folks to be guides....make them pay money to be a licensed guide, you should somehow promote them---if you care that much about the experience and safety of the anglers and boaters who might use a guide--then MAKE A GRAND statement by saying these folks are license PA GUIDES----

For the insurance, guide license, first aid and CPR--- you are looking at almost 1000 dollars first year, 850 second year, then 1000 again third year--repeat----  insurance costs about 750 dollars annually--100 dollar guide license fee--75 bucks CPR / First Aid (every 2 years)

ANd yes, just because you are a "GUIDE" does not make you a good fisherman, or a good GUIDE--and just because you are a good fisherman does not mean you are a good guide-----it just means you can afford to call yourself that-- a guide.........as with anything, you will have good guides and not so good guides......

I would think most folks who hire a guide do it for the education and others would be in an area they don't know for a short amount of time and want to catch fish......

oh yeah, and the idea that the PFBC created the guide license to make the waters safer for people who are hiring a guide, or for the protection of the guide ----   is full of bologna

same with the 2 opening days of trout season  --  the PFBC needed a way to get some money earlier in the year----makes sense though, the SE waters do warm up earlier.........but the main objective was to find a way to get a cash flow earlier in the year.......

www.2bonthewater.com
    Jump to: