Just Talked to the DEC...Here's a little info.

Author
Wisdom
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 374
  • Reward points: 0
2009/01/21 10:51:13 (permalink)

Just Talked to the DEC...Here's a little info.

After 3 phone calls, an email and a week of waiting for a response from the DEC, I just got off the phone with a Biologist in the NYS Dept of Environmental Conservation Bureau of Fisheries.   
    My main question was concerning are my jig rods in rod holders considered tip-ups as it was posted by someone who spoke to a ECO who said the rod bending was a signaling device which made them tip-ups. The answer I got was "as long as they are in close proximity of me (a few feet, not 20 or 30 yards away) and don't have spring bobbers, bells, etc. to signal a strike they should be fine under the new definition because the rod and reel together make up the "Hand-line" not just the reel." He also went on to state that he just had 2 ECOs in his office trying to clarify the new definition as well. (So they are just as confused as we are...lol) The new definition was meant to include more devices as tip-ups that were a question mark before (tip-downs, whip-ups, trippers, etc.) and the problem is it came out to vague. He also told me that as long as you have everything in order (license, name and address on tip-ups, bait receipt, etc.) and are not visibly trying to skirt any laws, 90% of the ECOs are decent enough guys that would work with you to figure out and go over any misunderstandings of regulations before handing out tickets.
   Hope this help any of you who had questions like I did.
                                            Tight Lines....Cheers
post edited by Wisdom - 2009/01/21 11:10:28

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com

2 Replies Related Threads

eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Just Talked to the DEC...Here's a little info. 2009/01/21 12:36:13 (permalink)
    Will:

Thanks for taking the time to clarify this issue, as there are many of us just as confused.  Hopefully, this will make these concerns more clear to us ice fishermen and DEC staff.

Eagle Ed
    REEL FORCE
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Just Talked to the DEC...Here's a little info. 2009/01/21 12:48:04 (permalink)

I'm printing out Wisdoms post and tucking in my wallet next to my license ...
    Jump to: