Spring Creek

Author
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/27 21:53:41 (permalink)

Spring Creek

After a recent trip to the Benner Springs/Paradise area I feel as I should post some conclusions I have made and some perspectives from others.  First of all before anyone gets upset I need to say I have fished Spring 4-6 times a year for about the past 8 years.  Judging by this year and last it seems to me the average fish has shrunk several inches.... with the exception of the escaped pellethead rainbows.  Also the stream seems to have lost volume(perhaps all the new development?).  The last thing I noticed was an immense amount of silt buildup which has filled in quite a few runs and pools.  That probably has contributed to the lack of good hatches as well.  It is just a shame that the river that started my fly-fishing career is seemingly on such a downhill trend.   I am just curious to know the opinions of you guys who frequent the stream much more than I do. 

15 Replies Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Spring Creek 2007/06/27 23:24:25 (permalink)
    I don't fish it much but I live close.  Development is certainly an issue near its headwaters.  I live a few feet from one trib.  Another headwater trib was just recently purchased by a conversation group.  However, the area streams are very very low and have been for sometime now.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Spring Creek 2007/06/28 14:24:02 (permalink)
    I fished at the paradise bout 5 times in the past 2 weeks. I noticed they drained the one pond at the end of the hatchery. The one day it was extremely low and saw 5 or 6 nice fish belly up. I did well on a gnat imitation as well as the beetle and cricket terrestrials.  Landed my first ever white brown  even tho it was only bout 10 inches still was great.  3 of the fish I landed above the bridge at the parking area were on nymphs with  pink scud trailer and the 2 were bout 9 inch rainbows and one was a 12 inch brown. but all the others were large and I caught them down where those 2 ponds drain. I was told I missed anything that was a heavy hatch so I couldnt tell you if its decreased or not. But I to noticed alot of sediment building up as well as a large number of dead crayfish.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Spring Creek 2007/06/28 18:47:26 (permalink)
    I cant get any closer to living in spring creek if I tried. Ive lived on the stream for over 12 years now and heres how I see it!

1: The stream is down due to the lack of rain, plain and simple not because of development, slab cabin is a different story.
    2: If you only fish benner springs, theres still TONS of escapees from the flood that were very small that are just now growing up.
    3: The silt fill in of the holes you speak of I dont see much of. What fill in you do see is from floods, the stream really hasnt changed that much.
    4: Hatches seem to be fewer, and all my drift samples have a serious lack of scuds which are a spring creek staple. Notice that the grass is gone from years past? Thats why the scuds are gone! The major hatches I see are the ones people arent fishing. I have yet to see a good caddis hatch this year.
    5: Fish other sections, I think the fish size has actually risen, Im seing bigger browns then ever. Ive had a few over 20 this year.

The fish in spring creek have seen every fly pattern known to man. 7x tippet is seriously sometimes needed and to catch really big fish you almost have to fish at night when the crayfish are active, the water is cooler, they move into feeding lies that they dont get in during the blazing heat.

Change your tactics and you will see different results. Im not gonna say where I was the other night but to say I had 100 fish rising around me would be an understatement. Ill give you one clue.... they were not all trout!

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Spring Creek 2007/06/29 19:56:13 (permalink)
    JLH,  dont take too much offense in what I wrote, like I said I am by no means an expert on Spring(or any other water), just merely stating MY observations to see how they compare with others.  I did not base my observations on the difficulty of the fishing, I understand 7x and #26 midge pupa are often the key to a good day there.  What I had said about the volume was not based on my last trip, once again I understand a lack of rainfall will create lower conditions.  However, what worries me the most is the steady decline of hatches, more often than not there is a correlation between pH and aquatic insects.   
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Spring Creek 2007/06/30 19:13:03 (permalink)
    Im not offended in any way what so ever. Yes the hatches are reducing in size, ive noticed it also. My personal feeling on that one goes back to the floods, the lower section of the creek still has lots of grass. The upper parts dont. I think they've washed out or maybe theres an upstream source leaking somthing into the water. It sure wouldnt be the first time. You can thank PSU for the fact that we no longer have a Green Drake hatch.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Spring Creek 2007/07/02 18:36:10 (permalink)
    Jeremy,
    Have there been any water quality tests done that you know of? I've always wondered what shape the water quality is in Spring Creek.

I have talked to a few old-timers on SC who have said that there used to be bigger fish in the stream, but from what I understand, those fish were stocked and not wild.

BTW Jeremy, I just ordered a new rod for fishing Spring Creek, lets get together this week and fish.
    troutfisher
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Spring Creek 2007/07/03 13:26:54 (permalink)
    Whats a white brown?
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spring Creek 2007/07/03 14:08:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: troutfisher

Whats a white brown?

I'm wondering the same....
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spring Creek 2007/07/03 14:13:13 (permalink)
    That's a brown trout after a hit of crack.  haha

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spring Creek 2007/07/03 14:18:15 (permalink)
    Clearwater is all about Spring Creek.

http://www.clearwaterconservancy.org/scrcp.htm

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Spring Creek 2007/07/03 14:25:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: troutfisher

Whats a white brown?

kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Spring Creek 2007/07/03 15:31:02 (permalink)
    like the fish that skip posted but alot smaller. Looks exactly like a reg brown but its grayish/white in stead of tannish/brown

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Spring Creek 2007/07/03 19:02:13 (permalink)
    Looks like a strain from Argentina to me...

Lyrical
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Spring Creek 2007/07/04 19:08:14 (permalink)
    Any tricos yet?

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Spring Creek 2007/07/04 23:03:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: duncsdad

Any tricos yet?

I saw a few on the Frankstown Branch 2 weeks ago. I noticed last year the tricos on the Frankstown started exactly one month before the tricos started on the LJ and SC.
    Jump to: