beginner fly tying tips

Author
doubletaper
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3977
  • Reward points: 0
2009/01/08 13:10:54 (permalink)

beginner fly tying tips

Since I see more members starting to tie their own flies here are a few ‘rule of thumb’ to help in material usage.

Dry fly ties. These tips should keep your dries floating longer and proportioned to land upright most of the time.
Bodies; use fur/materials that do not absorb water such as; muskrat, beaver, mink, quills and herl. Superfine dry fly dubbing.
Proportions:
Tail= length of hook shank
Hackle= rooster capes or stiff non-webbed saddle hackle. Should be length of hook shank
Wing; length of hook eye to back of hook bend. Again non-webbed feathers/barbs

Nymph tying tips
There are no standard proportions in tying nymphs since there are so many shapes and sizes of the ‘fly’ you are imitating.
Body= use furs/material that absorb water such as rabbit, opossum, squirrel, fox and most other land animals.
Wing cases/shellbacks= these can be anything from pheasant barbs, peacock herl to feather barbs. Good idea to shellac the feather barbs with head cement or rod lacquer and let dry before tying on.  (I’m sure there’s other stuff to use.)
I usually use turkey feathers so I’ll shellac a whole feather and cut portions as needed.

Wet fly ties.
Since these are drifted under the surface in the water column both dry and wet dubbing can be used.
Tail= length of hook shank
Wing= length of tail or eye to back of hook bend, usually down wing or angled back towards tail.
Hackle= hen hackle, grouse any webbed feather than spun behind hook eye. Usually oversized for hook being used.

Caddis dries
Deer or elk is the most often used. These are hollow hairs and float well without absorbing water. The length is usually just above the hook bend.
You want the tips of the deer/elk hair to be even so a hair stacker is a good tool to use.
Body= best to use non-absorbing furs/material
Ribbed= if ribbing, a stiff rooster/saddle feather which is no longer than the hook point when palmered. This varies among tiers.
Head= you can trim the butts of the deer/elk hair so they are behind or above the hook eye and tie off behind the butt head.

Remember these are general rules but these should get you tying to proportions and help the ‘fly’ do what it’s suppose to.
Hope this helps.
                              ~doubletaper

post edited by doubletaper - 2009/01/08 13:24:31

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
it's not luck
if success is consistent 

6 Replies Related Threads

Flyguy638
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: beginner fly tying tips 2009/01/08 21:18:08 (permalink)
    Those are some good tips
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: beginner fly tying tips 2009/01/08 23:46:43 (permalink)
    Sticky?
    350Z&Steelheads
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 430
    RE: beginner fly tying tips 2009/01/09 11:34:18 (permalink)
    Nice write up!

All I would add is :

Practice, Practice, Practice

And don't be afaid to experiment.  (this at times has taught me "what not to do")

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: beginner fly tying tips 2009/01/09 17:56:59 (permalink)
    Nice job, Jer.
     For my part, I'll throw in a nice article done by Steve Swensky at FFP.
     Page down to the article "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly".
     It deals mainly in common mistakes in proportions.

Article:

Gone Fishing
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: beginner fly tying tips 2009/01/10 03:51:14 (permalink)
    dano, the article was worth reading. thanx.
    just a note about the article. on dry flies he claims that the wing should be the shaft length and the hackle is 1.5-2 times the hook gap. this all sounds dandy but for the beginner trying to figure out 2 times the hook gap? well? it's easier to just lay the hackle across the shaft and the wing the length of the hook. easy to do. i've been tying my flies this way ever since i started and have no problem with them. 

my question is this= what do you do in the manner that you use a 1x length dry hook like tying a wulff pattern or humpy? if you go by the articles the hackle will end up the same length or longer than the wing because the hook gap doesn't change on a standard length hook to a 1x or 2x!

about the article on typical wet fly the rule of thumb i go by is the wing should reach the mid point of the tail.
    for typical steelhead wets my reference book states the wing is to the end of the tail.

thanks for including the arcticle. as you and i know there are many ways to tie flies, i'm just giving some help for the beginners to make it easy. what works for me all these years should work for them.

my reference for the information i posted is from a book intitled "American Fly Tying Manual' by dave hughes. the original copyright is 1986 but the book is still around today and is still sold in many fly shops and fishing shops to this day. i recommend this simple inexpensive book to any beginner.
                                                                             ~doubletaper
    post edited by doubletaper - 2009/01/10 03:56:27

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: beginner fly tying tips 2009/01/10 08:28:26 (permalink)
    Yea, there are rules in that ffp article that I don't follow either.
    The reason I posted  the article was mainly on "mayfly nymph" proportions.
    I used to participate in a lot of fly swaps and I'd see many nymphs tied with a thin thorax and short wing case.
    Most nymphs are predominantly robust in this area.

The dry fly section is basic and helpful for tying a standard Catskill style dry fly on a standard sized hook.
    I feel what's most important is that the distance between the tips of the tail and the tips of the hackle will keep the fly floating high, enough so that the hook point is suspended just above the water. Here, the tail and hackle proportions have more to do with floatlility. A good test after tying one of these flies is to drop it on your tying desk and see if it lands upright and with the hook point suspended. ( Sometimes I need to adjust the hackle or snip a few hackle fibers to get the fly to land perfectly upright).

as for the wet fly, I guess I tie a Dave Hughes type wet fly.

I guess what it comes down to is that there are very few steadfast rules and some of the most productive patterns break all the rules. Go figure.
    Even mayfly wing length has its discussion as to it's importance. Marinaro believed that the wing needed to be highly noticeable and tied his dries with very long hackle tips while others believe the wing is not important and never wing their dry fly.
    I don't hackle my dries as heavlily when compared to the one in the article. Problably 2/3's of what he winds on. I think too much haclke gets in the way of the flies profile. I'm a profile type tier and a good dusting of Frogs Fannny will keep anything floating high and dry.

And of course with steelhead, anything goes. They dont't seem to inspect what they are eating or have no idea what they are eating.
    Jump to: