Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Bow-hunter191
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/21 22:13:21 (permalink)

SNAGGING????

I heard last year that while fishing in Erie that New York was going to bring snagging back could some one tell me if they did?????

30 Replies Related Threads

King Davy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: SNAGGING???? 2007/06/22 07:44:26 (permalink)
    BH-191....no snagging isn't coming back "legally".....in fact tighter regs in some places to try and reduce incidental foul hooking of fish....but we do have our challenges still today with folks who continue to snag....and I can assure you...they are NOT doing it legally.
    Bow-hunter191
    New Angler
    RE: SNAGGING???? 2007/06/22 14:51:07 (permalink)
    not even in some lakes
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: SNAGGING???? 2007/06/22 15:12:51 (permalink)
    I could never figure out why they wouldn't let you snag Chinooks and Coho up the creeks in the fall.  With the exception of a few waterways they don't naturally reproduce or do in small numbers.  Then after they spawn they die and rot anyway?  Why couldn't a fisherman take that resource home and make a meal out of it???

bluntman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: SNAGGING???? 2007/06/22 22:55:42 (permalink)
    Storm, just think of all the rainbows and browns that would get butchered while snagging for Salmon, sorta hard to release a fish with a 3 inch gash in its side
    post edited by bluntman - 2007/06/22 22:56:25
    King Davy
    New Angler
    RE: SNAGGING???? 2007/06/24 08:03:16 (permalink)
    Storm Warnig.....

There is no reason to snag a fish that you can catch...Coho's are one of the most fly and bait friendly fish....anybody can catch them. King Salmon have always....and will always be a challenge to catch...if you want to fly fish for them. If you fish Skein...you won't be able to keep them off the hook.

King Salmon ar successfully spawning in just about every trib in Lake Ontario these days. Even in the small ones. Since the smolts usually leave the trib by mid May, or early June they escape the tribs before the water gets too warm. In the Salmon River the research biologist at Cape Vincent research has studied and come to a conclusion that as many as 5 million smolts and fry successfully hatch and leave the salmon river every year....(on a year with good water flows). They've now begun for find YOY Coho's in these waters. Small creeks like Irodequoit Creek, the Sandy's have been producing fish for ever.

So in short...these fish are being successful at spawning....just about everywhere...and all can be caught by legal means. So snagging simply isn't necesary. Folkls just need to learn how to fish for them.
    Bow-hunter191
    New Angler
    RE: SNAGGING???? 2007/06/25 00:19:42 (permalink)
    I have alot of fond memories snagging as a child. I knew every fall my family and I would be on the genni throwing some led. I wish they would let us enjoy the sport of snagging agian.
    King Davy
    New Angler
    RE: SNAGGING???? 2007/06/25 06:52:14 (permalink)
    Well Bow Hunter....get a 10 foot spinning rod that can handle 15 pound test......some split shot...some good balsa float...and some Salmon Skein.....some of the tackle shops sell egg sacks and skein..... Load that skein up on a hook and lob it out in the pool up by the falls....and hang on...or in the hole below the rapids. next get some big single hook spinners....and fish those same places.....

As much fun as you had as a kid snagging fish...you do those things and have those fish slam a spinner...or you see that float sink...set the hook...and feel the power of a head shake from a mouth hooked salmon where he can show you his true metal...and I think you'll start to create a whole new set of memories. 
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: SNAGGING???? 2007/06/25 13:58:58 (permalink)
    King Davy:  I am sure that there are definitely browns about when the Kings are in and maybe even a few steelhead, however, with the money that NY and Canada put into the stocking efforts, there is no net return on most fish that die.  They may have been caught and released once or twice and definitely were not harvested, so that is an expensive fish.
    King Davy
    New Angler
    RE: SNAGGING???? 2007/06/26 07:21:19 (permalink)
    Storm Warnig...no net return on the fish....The State of NY spends about $250,000 dollars to raise a yearly batch of these fish (4.5 million all species)...to which $3 to $5 million dollars come back into the regions economy from sports fishing. The recent trib creel census done by DEC over the past two trib seasons shows over a million hours of effort on the TRIBS alone per season...not counting the hours that the lake guys put in....which right now appears to be even to what the trib effort. So 2 million hours of angler effort. 

Who wouldn't want a rate of return like that if they were in business. Again read my post above....we have a HUGE wild king Salmon population now in Lake Ontario. These fish are successfully spawning...and the dead carcasses...just as they do in Alaska re-fertilize the environment to feed the bottom of the food chain that feeds the middle of the food chain...that ends up back at the top of the food chain.

Anybody that thinks this great lake and trib salmon fishery the past seven years is the result of planting 1.6 million fish in the lake where probably less then 5 % survie to be returning adults...is the ONLY fish in the system is kidding themselves. The fishing would NEVER be like this with ONLY those fish. You guys are catching many many wild naturally reproduced King Salmon.

They die and give back to the natural habitat they die in...both reproducing...and revitalizing the stream environment. The last thing these fish are doing is going to waste.....never before have we realized how important this cycle of life is to this fishery then we do now.

I'll say it again...and I've been careful not to ruffle anybodys feathers...but these fish can be caught....I've watched 10 year old kids catch them on bait...and even some young people fly fishing...if these youngsters can learn how to CATCH these fish...I would imagine...ANYBODY could....even the folks who used to snag them leagally. Now it's not legal...learn how to fish for them....it's just not that hard.
    egg sac
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 517
    RE: SNAGGING???? 2007/06/27 00:18:04 (permalink)
    My first New York kings were during the snagging days on the Catt. Can say that I am glad them days are over. its just no fun draggin a fish in backwards. Kings and Cohos can and do bite and I get so sick and tiered of reading on this site and listening to those that say its not true. Just last year was fishing the Oak in the overflow channel slamming kings one after the other on estez eggs and egg sacs and pretty much every fish I hooked was mouth hooked. While poachers beside me were snagging fish and between over a dozen snaggers on both sides of me were not combined hooking up as much as my girfriend and myself. And yet they still had the nerve to tell me the fish do not bite. Come on I was fair hooking 20-30 kings a day that weekend. While I realize its possible to drift a hook in a fishes mouth the water was up and high and you could not see and fish unless they jumped. Now thier is luck but sorry nobody is so lucky as to fair hook 20-30 kings a day unless the fish are acualy biting. From what I have seen the ones stating the salmon do not bite are the ones using 30-50lb test and sinkers big enough to knock out a whale. I will say this to the people that think the salmon will not bite. Try down sizing your line test to the 8 to 15 lb test range and smallers hooks and acualy try fishing for them. You mite just be plesantly surprised that you get a fair take from the fish. Myself I always use 8lb for the kings unless the water is real high then I will go with a 12lb test. Have on many occations even landed many a king on 4lb while targeting the browns. Last year I got so sick of the the salmon do not bite guys that every time I fair hooked one I would start singing out load its a head shacker hook taker over and over again...lol.
    post edited by egg sac - 2007/06/27 00:20:58

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
    WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: SNAGGING???? 2007/06/27 02:57:34 (permalink)
    Ted Richards
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: SNAGGING???? 2007/06/29 11:43:33 (permalink)
    egg you crack me up.

"Can say that I am glad them days are over. its just no fun draggin a fish in backwards"

I laughed so hard after reading that.

Reminds me of the saying, pot calling the kettle black.
    well, at least we know you really don't enjoy "fishing" anymore.
    egg sac
    Expert Angler
    RE: SNAGGING???? 2007/06/29 18:56:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ted Richards

egg you crack me up.

"Can say that I am glad them days are over. its just no fun draggin a fish in backwards"

You realy have lost your mind as #1 you do not personaly know me and #2 have never fished with me. Anyways I do not even attempt to land a fish that is fould hooked as I will break them off intentionaly , not worth the trouble to bring them in. I only want fished hooked in the mouth not outside the mouth not around the mouth but the hook inside the mouth. But belive what you want to because like many times before you are talking out of your tocass again. I can give you a very big list of repitable people on this site that know I do not snag fish to catch them so are you gonna call them all liers?

kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: SNAGGING???? 2007/06/30 05:10:57 (permalink)
    egg dont worry bout people saying things like that. My father told me of those days of snagging... he also taught me how to land carp and steelhead with his 4'6" fenwick 3wt. Id rather fight a fish I fooled the fight I fish I cheated. oh btw for those who grew up in the "snagging era" and think that fish dont bit out of instinct or hunger .... read some books or study ICHTHYOLOGY!

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    feller17
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: SNAGGING???? 2007/06/30 08:35:33 (permalink)
    Egg Sac,

Sir, I do not personally know you however I fish the Oak quite often since I live nearby and have personally observed you snagging in the overflow channel, yeah that's correct sir --YOU !  Remember the kids that were crossing your line that day- and you got upset at THEM while you were snagging.  Fine example you were setting that day, by the way, the only reason the DEC did'nt issue you a citation that day is because he was on another job issuing a citation in Orleans county when I called him,  So Egg Sac be fore-warned if I see you snagging or "Lifting"  fish as some call it, expect to see the Judge with a court date when you are issued the citation. 
    Ted Richards
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: SNAGGING???? 2007/06/30 12:31:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: egg sac

ORIGINAL: Ted Richards

egg you crack me up.

You realy have lost your mind as #1 you do not personaly know me and #2 have never fished with me. Anyways I do not even attempt to land a fish that is fould hooked as I will break them off intentionaly , not worth the trouble to bring them in. I only want fished hooked in the mouth not outside the mouth not around the mouth but the hook inside the mouth. But belive what you want to because like many times before you are talking out of your tocass again. I can give you a very big list of repitable people on this site that know I do not snag fish to catch them so are you gonna call them all liers?

egg how do you know, you don't know me?
    I have no problem with your tactics, but I do have a problem with you trying to portray yourself as something you're not.

Keep it real, snag till your hearts content (or till you get busted), post the pics on the internet, do whatever satisfies whatever need you may have, but keep it real.
    egg sac
    Expert Angler
    RE: SNAGGING???? 2007/06/30 15:49:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: feller17

Egg Sac,

Sir, I do not personally know you however I fish the Oak quite often since I live nearby and have personally observed you snagging in the overflow channel, yeah that's correct sir --YOU !  Remember the kids that were crossing your line that day- and you got upset at THEM while you were snagging.  Fine example you were setting that day, by the way, the only reason the DEC did'nt issue you a citation that day is because he was on another job issuing a citation in Orleans county when I called him,  So Egg Sac be fore-warned if I see you snagging or "Lifting"  fish as some call it, expect to see the Judge with a court date when you are issued the citation. 

Mr David Kuczynski,

If this is your real name. I could delete this bs post of yours very easy as I am a moderator of this board but see I do not fear this post nor you as I and many others know its loaded with lies from you. 11 posts you sound like a trouble maker to me. Tell ya what make your call all you want as I have no worries as I know I fish legit. Kind of hard to intentionaly snag King Salmon with 8lb test and # 10 hooks. Have I ever acidentaly snagged a fish ? Yes kind of hard not to when ther are hundreds in a hole. But I refuse to even try to land a snagged fish as I always snap them off. Nothig upsets me more then foul hooking a fish. So just go call on the real snaggers that use the 25 to 50lb test with the 3oz wieghts and 1/0 hooks rigged with the wieght below the hook as they are the true snaggers. Tell ya what my home number is 814-382-5413 and i will be up there this fall quite a bit swing me a call and I will let you know when i am up thier so you can go ahead and try to call the fish wardens that is if your man enough to back up your bs..

feller17
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: SNAGGING???? 2007/06/30 20:43:31 (permalink)
    Lies, bs? Well sir you may call them that if you wish in order to protect a reputation, I can offer no other proof than my word.  11 posts makes me a trouble maker?  whose being judgemental....?  guess there are several "trouble makers" then.   So when you get irritated at someone on this board you post his/her name.  If doing that makes you feel better, I'm happy for you.  Delete any posting you want, it makes no difference.  I don't have to prove I'm a man to back up my posting, I wrote the exact truth.  From reading other posts on this thread "keeping it real" hit the nail on the head.  Oh by the way sir in New York the men and women in uniform checking licenses are DEC Officers not the insulting name of "fish wardens". I look forward to the next posting.

Thank you,
                                                    Dave
    yungguru
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 170
    RE: SNAGGING???? 2007/07/01 00:39:37 (permalink)
    eG sak

woo carres if thees ****s thinck yu ar a snaggR
    i snaG saman forr ther egs duud
    thenn i go too eeRy an ketch stelheds with the egs

thets howw yu do itt
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: SNAGGING???? 2007/07/01 05:37:53 (permalink)
    The trolling was easy. Nice work bowhunter. 
    carpin06
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 498
    RE: SNAGGING???? 2007/07/01 18:23:10 (permalink)
    7 of my friends fished the oak last year and they HOOKED many fish along with you egg.. thay were from pittburgh and you can not mistake a guy called mutt....
    I seen you in pics that he had and told him of you being on thib site all the time and he told me you were rippin fish as well as them..
    I have hook many king in the oak and have a pic of a 45lb one i will post..
    Let him call the man egg it will not be you being walked to the big white truck!!!!
    Chromeslayer
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 105
    RE: SNAGGING???? 2007/07/02 20:16:48 (permalink)
    what kinda fine did u get in Orleans County for your overlimit of kings there Eggsac?
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: SNAGGING???? 2007/07/03 10:25:43 (permalink)
    fishing near Eggy (Tom) and his better 2/3's (girlfriend & lovely daughter) never saw him intentionally snag nor sweet hook a king 2 years ago and he was catching plenty. AND, only harvested 6 for 3 people. Would've helped you carry em up that day but I had my own catch to carry. For those who don't personally know Tom (eggsac) and know he gives more than he gets, it's your loss.   Dave    P.S. Dave (Feller 17) your name is in your profile as is mine and many others so no breech there.
    post edited by elephanthead - 2007/07/03 10:30:27
    Steelburger1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: SNAGGING???? 2007/07/03 12:52:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: carpin06

7 of my friends fished the oak last year and they HOOKED many fish along with you egg.. thay were from pittburgh and you can not mistake a guy called mutt....
    I seen you in pics that he had and told him of you being on thib site all the time and he told me you were rippin fish as well as them..
    Let him call the man egg it will not be you being walked to the big white truck!!!!
    Yip Peeeeeeee

carpin' you internet puss quit mentioning us on the internet. seriously.

we all snagged our share. not on purpose but thats how it is fishing under the dam. we were there to get eggs. if the salmon was snagged it was snagged. who cares. egg sac snagged them we all did. some were in the mouth. its not purist fishing anyway.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: SNAGGING???? 2007/07/03 14:32:07 (permalink)
    ....here weeeee goo!!!!!!   ding ding ding.
    catchtrout
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: SNAGGING???? 2007/07/03 20:41:11 (permalink)
    I wasn't fishing New York in the days of legal snagging and don't think I would have enjoyed the "sport". I do know that my son and I do enjoy the fishing today and that snagging does persist. Two years ago my son witnessed a young man losing an eye when one of his buddies sinker hit it when they were ripping in the pool below Burt Dam.
    Beedhed
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: SNAGGING???? 2007/07/03 22:20:46 (permalink)
    Who in their right mind would go fish the JOKE ORCHARD. How long is that stretch of water ..maybe 1/4 mile.And who in their right mind would let a post on " SNAGGING " continue.I've seen plenty of sick stuff in the ditches out west people call creeks.

How about show these fish some respect and stop the snagging and the worst excuse we all keep hearing is " We where only there for eggs"

Go to a ****ing cleaning station and get some they're FREE.

ps: I would've thought most passed 3rd grade spelling by now the spell check once in awhile.
    post edited by Beedhed - 2007/07/03 22:23:56
    carpin06
    Expert Angler
    RE: SNAGGING???? 2007/07/04 13:54:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Steelburger1

ORIGINAL: carpin06

Yip Peeeeeeee

carpin' you internet puss quit mentioning us on the internet. seriously.

we all snagged our share. not on purpose but thats how it is fishing under the dam. we were there to get eggs. if the salmon was snagged it was snagged. who cares. egg sac snagged them we all did. some were in the mouth. its not purist fishing anyway.
    carpin06
    Expert Angler
    RE: SNAGGING???? 2007/07/04 13:57:20 (permalink)
    SEE YOU THERE... BRING YOUR EGG SUCKER!!!! LOL
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: