Favorite Material

Author
flirod4evr
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 208
  • Reward points: 0
2008/12/30 23:33:47 (permalink)

Favorite Material

I was tying up some caddis patterns tonight with trailing shucks and got to thinking, what is your favorite material for trailing shucks on nymphs/emergers. I am kinda fond of z-lon myself, olive for the green caddis tyed sparse and ginger for the tan and ginger caddis also tyed rather sparse. When tying brown shucks for mayfly emergers I like antron, I think it looks better when it gets wet for imitating the mayfly nymphal shucks. Just wanted to hear others preferences, always willing to try something new.

I'm very familiar with the terms "RUN AND GUN" and "FISH ON!"

"They're in here I can smell 'em"

5 Replies Related Threads

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Favorite Material 2008/12/31 15:00:56 (permalink)
    I completely agree on the z lon and antron.

The only thing I do differently is to use white z lon for the caddis shucks. If you watch the surface of the water during a caddis hatch, you'll see clear shucks drifting on the surface, and the white z lon does pretty well to imitiate the clear shucks.

tmh0209
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Favorite Material 2008/12/31 21:40:44 (permalink)
    i like antron. But what i use the most is angora yarn and thin it out with velcro. Then i trim it up. I like to use this on nymphs or emergers because, it seems to be thinner this way. Also, it moves alot more and its not as stiff.

Its better to do nothing and be happy than to be doing something that makes you completely miserable
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Favorite Material 2009/01/01 08:55:45 (permalink)
    egg veil would be another material and you can color it with perm marker (ie) tan, olive

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Favorite Material 2009/01/01 09:50:49 (permalink)
    i wish i could find z lon around where i live, i hear thats the best thing to use in emerald shiner patter in olive z lon.

my favorite is marabou and bunny strips.

im terrible at getting dubbing to stick to my thread so i cheat and buy the premade dubbing strips. saved time but not money. but finishes better then me attempting to put dubbing on a waxed thread

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    flirod4evr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 208
    RE: Favorite Material 2009/01/01 12:13:53 (permalink)
    I use both white and tan I think the reason I prefere tan is it looks better to the human eye but not nececcarily the trouts. I have a book by A.K Best and in it he talks about the use of feathers for shucks  due to the lack of sparkle. I will have to try it sometime and see how it works.

I'm very familiar with the terms "RUN AND GUN" and "FISH ON!"

"They're in here I can smell 'em"
    Jump to: