Your thoughts on using a Mr Heater while tent camping?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Your thoughts on using a Mr Heater while tent camping? 2008/12/24 11:35:36 (permalink)
in my younger days, tent camping and fishing, i would wear a light stocking cap to bed each night, also.  i believe you lose more heat out of your head and feet than anywhere.

pxatim
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4786
RE: Your thoughts on using a Mr Heater while tent camping? 2008/12/24 11:49:20 (permalink)
I still don't know if I would go to bed damp in cold weather...

Yeah I always wear a fleece hat to bed and sometimes a hoodie.
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
RE: Your thoughts on using a Mr Heater while tent camping? 2008/12/24 13:56:40 (permalink)
If cold or wet... sleep in you clothes

No offense, but I feel that is very bad (and potentially harmful) advice.  In the cold, if you sleep in your wet clothes, you stand a very very good chance offalling asleep as hypothermia creeps in with your lowering heart rate and lack of motion.  In fact, the best way to treat hypothermia in the wilderness is to get in a sleeping bag with a warm, dry person, with no wet clothes, preferable, with no clothes at all (this is a much more appealing idea when camping with attractive people of the opposite gender than with your fishing buddies, I know).

@ Indsguiz, those two pack lists sound like my first two trips backpacking.  By the time I was making my fourth or fifth week-long summer trip, I had trimmed it down to 35 lbs.  Part of that weight was about 10 pairs of socks for 5 days of hiking/camping.
KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
RE: Your thoughts on using a Mr Heater while tent camping? 2008/12/24 14:10:06 (permalink)
i was speaking towards summer camping... non-winter

who the hell wants to camp in the winter?

the best way to dry clothes is to wear them

post edited by KJH807 - 2008/12/24 14:11:53
Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Your thoughts on using a Mr Heater while tent camping? 2008/12/24 14:15:53 (permalink)
Ohhhhhhh...

...in that case, sleep however you like.
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6356
RE: Your thoughts on using a Mr Heater while tent camping? 2008/12/24 14:28:12 (permalink)
The reason for stripping down is that clothes hold moisture and dirt close to the body.  Of course after 7-10 days in the boonies EVERYTHING is dirty, but taking clothes off helps air them out.  If wet I always recommend getting out of the wet clothes ASAP!.  I've seen guys go down with hypothermia in 45 degree weather because they stayed wet.  But then again I always recommend wool over underarmor or tactical under wear then you can stay somewhat warm.  If you can't dry out then keep it on but if you have a chance to dry out do so.  We can agree to disagree.   If you can make a fire and dry them out GREAT!.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
RE: Your thoughts on using a Mr Heater while tent camping? 2008/12/24 14:28:48 (permalink)
lower than 30 at night.... 
indsguiz
Pro Angler
RE: Your thoughts on using a Mr Heater while tent camping? 2008/12/24 14:37:06 (permalink)
KJH,
    Try Alaska, or northern Germany, or Afganistan, or Korea in the winter.  Or Alaska or N. Germany in the spring/fall.  Constant rain and cold.  And we really didn't have much of a choice.  ESP in Korea and other remote locales.

Cold, That's why we have a phrase called going "light"; in the summer in was socks, water, poncho, food, AMMO.  And of course the big medic kit.  I actuall wish I could still go out and do it.  Always wanted to hike the App. Trail.  But at the speed I walk anymore that would take Ohhhh, about 200 years.  May book the week-long trip to the Grand Canyon if I can ever get my legs to work right.

Here's a hint: Since they put the dams in on the Colorado, the river below the dams has become excellent trout water.

Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Your thoughts on using a Mr Heater while tent camping? 2008/12/24 17:12:00 (permalink)
Indy, if you ever get a chance, take a week and hike a section (or two weeks and do the whole thing) of the C&O Canal trail in Maryland.  It follows the Potomac throughout its entire 185 mile length, and, being an old canal towpath, it's almost completely level throughout (IIRC, a 500 foot difference in elevation over 185 miles).  I've hiked it several times.  Lots of good smallmouth fishing along the way as well as some big cats (though the gear usually required for fishing for big cats usually makes for a better weekend trip than for backpacking).  The whole thing is a national park, and theres campsites and fresh water (via pumps, though heavily doused with iodine) spaced throughout.
JEB
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2248
RE: Your thoughts on using a Mr Heater while tent camping? 2008/12/24 21:17:28 (permalink)
heater + tent = fire
mikeg
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2533
RE: Your thoughts on using a Mr Heater while tent camping? 2008/12/26 16:01:36 (permalink)
Depending on your tent....

Carbon Monoxide could present a problem, couldn't it?
griffon
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1104
RE: Your thoughts on using a Mr Heater while tent camping? 2008/12/26 16:24:35 (permalink)
If you use one, make sure you get a model that had a CO detector and will shut off automatically.  If you choose to use one, sleep on a cot (CO is heavier than air and will shut the unit off before you are in danger.  Sometimes my buddies and I run a portable heater in our tent while Ohio Deer hunting for a week.  It does work, and usually keeps the tent in the mid 50's.  The one we run is electric and powered by a portable generator. 

If you choose not to use a heater, there are other ways of keeping warm, even during single digit temperatures.  First thing is to put down a waterproof tarp (same size as tent).  Next, put down a bed of straw (cannot be hey), followed by another identical tarp.  Put your tent on top of this.  FYI, a tent with a good fly is invaluable as you will find out.  From there, build your bed (do not use air mattresses... cold, although thermarests are ok).  When you feel you are warm enough, build a ventilated canopy around your head of blankets that do not actually touch your skin.  Keeping your face out of the blankets, you will freeze... touching the canopy will get you wet from condensation, but a canopy keeps a nice warm air pocket around your head.  Another thing I usually do is to put the next morning's hunting clothes in my bag with me, or underneath me if they will lay flat.  I personally like getting into warm clothes better than frozen ones... 
post edited by griffon - 2008/12/26 16:26:17
Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Your thoughts on using a Mr Heater while tent camping? 2008/12/26 16:38:17 (permalink)
Very good advice, all around, griffon.  Also glad to see the differentiation between straw and hay.  In many situations it may not make a difference, but in very wet areas, the hay will turn to mush.  Cold, wet mush.
mikeg
Pro Angler
RE: Your thoughts on using a Mr Heater while tent camping? 2008/12/26 17:17:02 (permalink)
Bottles filled with hot/warm water thrown into your bag does wonders to keep you warm at night. Surprizingly, they'll stay warm for 5-6 hours! 

Also, never sleep in clothes you've had on all day! Any moisture at all will be noticed real quick. Always put on dry fresh clothes before you crawl into the sack!
post edited by mikeg - 2008/12/26 17:20:19
mikeg
Pro Angler
RE: Your thoughts on using a Mr Heater while tent camping? 2008/12/26 17:29:59 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: RhnstnCowboy

Yeah, I've driven through there a few times, but never hiked or camped it...  I have been to the Big South Fork, south of there, several times, canoeing, camping, hiking, fishing, etc. and it is my contention that the BSF is right up there with the Great Smoky Mountains NP as the most beautiful spots in the East...  Nanthala, northern Maine, George Washington NF, etc. are nice too, but just not the same wilderness feel...  Haven't been canoeing in the Everglades yet, but I have heard that is great too...

Still need to hit the Ozarks, too.  I have had a Buffalo/White River trip in the works for some time now... 

I highly reccomend the White River in AK! IT's beautful country and has some of the largest alligator gar youve ever seen!
Laurelfork
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Your thoughts on using a Mr Heater while tent camping? 2008/12/26 21:23:10 (permalink)
Listen to Indsquiz, he knows what he is taking about, never go to bed wet, typically comman sense won't let you unless you are already hypothermic or dead drunk (this is an area where your buds can save your life). On the original subject of the Buddy Heater use it to warm your bag then get it out of the tent , getting into a warm bag saves tons of body energy from the get go. 
indsguiz
Pro Angler
RE: Your thoughts on using a Mr Heater while tent camping? 2008/12/26 22:19:10 (permalink)
If you do feel the need to have a heater in a tent, use the smallest one possible.  And do like we had to do in the Army:  Fire watch.  One person stays awake and makes sure the heater doesn't burn the tent down.  A coleman lantern will warm up a tent and will also provide excellent light.  Fire the thing up, get the tent warm, get into your bags, turn off the light when everyone is settled.  Arrange for one person to wake up early and fire up the lantern so everyone can see and the tent will warm up.  Remember once you are in your bags you should be warm enough. 
     If you do camp in a tent a good wind break to keep direct wind off of the tent is always an excellent choice.  As is a tent cover/fly.  there have been a lot of good responses in this post.  But I think the gist of it is beware of heaters.  Coleman used to make a catalitic heater that was good for about 5 hours and supposedly tent safe (I used one in my 10x14 family tent) but we always watched it.  Again, last man in turns off the heater, first one up relights the heater.

scaremypsu
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 206
RE: Your thoughts on using a Mr Heater while tent camping? 2008/12/27 02:26:45 (permalink)
There is some good advice on winter camping, however noone really touched on the stuffing material in the sleeping bag.  I remember in scouts one year my buddy got a brand new sleeping bag rated for minus 15 that was filled with down.  I heard all day how awsome this sleeping bag was and how warm he was gonna be.  It was in the single digits and fairly damp, he cried all night because he was freezing.  Down is good in dry weather but has poor insulation capabilities when damp.  Wool is warm when damp, however it is fairly heavy.  The backpacking sleeping bags are fairly expensive and contains stuffing that is warm in cold and damp weather.  I have camped numerous times in the winter, as others have mentioned sleep in your underwear.  The sleeping bag keeps you warm from body heat, the more cloths you have on the more restricted the heat is produced by your body. 
BIGHEAD
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 670
RE: Your thoughts on using a Mr Heater while tent camping? 2008/12/27 07:00:23 (permalink)
Your right on with warning the least amount of cloths in the sleeping bag scaremypsu. I have camp in the winter a few dozen times. all over the rockies in the fall.But Vermont, New Hampshire, PA in the winter months and the best thing you can have is the best sleeping bag you can afford period and wear the least amount of cloths you can. We camped on top of MT Washington in New Hampshire in the late fall to winter months And it gets unbelievebly cold with temps and the wind up there. I had the best North Face bag they had at the time and it was rated for -25. It work fine the first couple nights. But I wore cloths in the bag and what happens is from having cloths on you will sweat and that will clog the insulation and will be useless. As far as floor insulation use what you can. I use a thermorest self inflating pad its nice because you can adjust how firm or soft you like. NEVER WEAR DAMP OR WET CLOTHS EVER!!!!!!!!!!! when camping in colder months you will be cold and trust me it's a fact. cots are not good in the colder months either.
post edited by BIGHEAD - 2008/12/27 07:02:11
chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
RE: Your thoughts on using a Mr Heater while tent camping? 2008/12/27 09:29:00 (permalink)
Eskimos know one thing, don't touch the water.  Evaporating water just removes heat from the body.  If wet, you gotta change.
kilbasi kid
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 82
RE: Your thoughts on using a Mr Heater while tent camping? 2008/12/27 09:36:44 (permalink)
I don't know but it worked.I used a milk crate and put my fluid burning lantern in it so it wouldn't tip over.left a few top of the sreens un zipperd 8 inches open.It actually kept it nice and warm.The temerature only went down to 10 degrees that night thoe.I did use the moving blankets from u haul to line the bottom of the floor thoe.No one got sick.
RhnstnCowboy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2583
RE: Your thoughts on using a Mr Heater while tent camping? 2008/12/28 10:35:24 (permalink)
I made a tent/ice shanty heater that works very well.  I rarely use it, unless it is incredibly cold, but it is the cheapest, safest, most relaible thing I have found.  Take a small metal coffee can, Folgers, etc.  The kind that is about as thick around as a roll of toilet paper, not the giant coffee can.  Use the coffee, save the plastic lid.  If necessary, file down the metal edge so it is smooth with no burs or sharp pieces.  Get a roll of toilet paper that will fit snugly in the bottom of the can.  Remove the inner cardboard from the roll of toilet paper and discard.  Squeeze the roll into the bottom of the coffee can.  Get a bottle of rubbing alcohol.  Douse the toilet paper in the fuel, up to a level at the top of the toilet paper roll and light.  Obviously this is an open flame, so take all precautions.  It burns very slowly and evenly with a clean invisible or blue flame.  (Because it can burn invisibly, you need to be careful to make sure it is really extinguished)  The toilet paper, itself will not burn, as the ignition point of the alcohol is much lower than the paper...  If the paper does start to burn, you don't have enough alcohol in there.  extinguish the flame, add more alcohol and relight.  DO NOT TRY TO ADD ALCOHOL WHILE THE FIRE IS IGNITED>>>  Burn it in your tent for 10 minutes before bed, extinguish, allow the metal to cool for five minutes and then replace the plastic top to keep the rubbing alcohol from evaporating...  The nice thing about rubbing alcohol is that it is far less toxic than oil based fuels, has little smell, produces less harmful fumes (still needs to be vented, but not nearly as much as propane, or kerosene) and plus, it never hurts to have a bottle of rubbing alcohol with you in the woods to clean cuts, wash your hands, start fires when it is damp, etc...
post edited by RhnstnCowboy - 2008/12/28 11:21:34

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
- T. Fleming
Big Fathead
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: Your thoughts on using a Mr Heater while tent camping? 2008/12/29 14:29:50 (permalink)
I wouldn't sleep with that type of heater. It would be fine if you were awake, I would think it would be very dangerous if a blanket or something got close to it. Get a hotel room alot more comfortable and safe.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: