Author
euphoboy
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 57
  • Reward points: 0
2008/12/18 10:24:36 (permalink)

Funny Fishing Stories

Hi all,

I enjoyed reading the stories on the post about "the one that got away." How about some funny fishing stories? Here's one to get it started..

A while back my uncle and I were fishing a stream on the first day of trout season. Fishing was slow and we were BS'ing just to pass the time. At one point my uncle leans back and says "Man I could use a beer right now." Not 5 minutes later a six pack of Coors comes floating downstream! You bet he waded out there in his jeans on that cold April morning to claim his gift from the gods!...PRICELESS!

Have you ever been on a real shrimpn' boat? No, but I've been on a real big boat!

19 Replies Related Threads

mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Funny Fishing Stories 2008/12/18 10:43:02 (permalink)
    Thats a good one right there! lol

DOn't remember who's signature this is, but your story reminded me of it..

"Beer is proof that god loves us!"
    tommybanzai
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 609
    RE: Funny Fishing Stories 2008/12/18 10:53:38 (permalink)
    ...how about the story of the samich fish...you guys ever heard or seen that one?  

SHOWTIME SON!..... ENJOY!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n22zkGHDg2U

mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Funny Fishing Stories 2008/12/18 10:56:25 (permalink)
    Here's one for ya...

A few years ago I was fishing a run and just nailing steelhead while my buddy couldn't buy a fish. After swallowing his pride he asked what I was drifting..

After digging around his fly box he realized he didn't have anything close to what I was using! So he actually asked me for one!

I reached into my flybox and grabbed him one. But not before snipping the hook off of it!

He didn't even notice it and started fishing....

First drift....swing and a miss!
    Second drift....swing and a miss!
    Third drift....Swing and a miss!
    And so on and so on!!!

While he was getting more and more mad at the fact he kept missing these fish I was draggin' them in left and right! This went on for about 45 minutes untill I couldn't keep my laughter in anymore! Needless to say he was JACKED when I told him!

We are a tad bit competitive!!!
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Funny Fishing Stories 2008/12/18 11:00:28 (permalink)
    I was fishing in Canada with my dad and our Canadian friend (who likes to party), he and I were kicking back the Labatt Blues pretty good. My dad does not  drink at all. I snagged the anchor  line and thought I had a huge fish, man was I embarassed when I saw the achor comming up.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Funny Fishing Stories 2008/12/18 11:16:55 (permalink)
    keeping with beer and fishing.
    1. friend and i were backpacking from hearts content to cherry grove fish hatchery on a hot august day. we came to the farnsworth branch where 2 guys were fishing. we put our pack down along the creek. we were sweaty and tired from the hike in the hot sun. one of the guys threw us a couple of beers they had sitting in the creek. hit the spot.

2. i was wade fishing since about 6:30am at the mouth of millstone in the clarion catching brookies and browns on the fly rod. it was june and by noon the hot sun was beating down heavy. a canoe came floating by and a kid handed me a bottle of cold bottled beer. it was like a great beer/fishing commercial. sometimes the unexpected happens and you go for the gusto!!

now if i can only come across those swedish swimsuit babes while i'm fishing on a hot summer day

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

euphoboy
    Novice Angler
    RE: Funny Fishing Stories 2008/12/18 11:51:03 (permalink)
    One more,

My brother and I were fishing the hole at 7 mile a few years back with a few other guys. I was closest to the waterfall below the trail and he was drifting for fish near the back of the hole. The other guys and myself were hooking up pretty regularly while my brother wasn't getting anything. At one point he walked up to me and said he'd been drifting everything he had at this HUGE fish near the back of the hole. He asked what I was having luck on, so I gave him one of the woolly buggers I was using. When he went back to drift for that fish again, a guy on the other side of the stream finally looked at him and said, "Dude why do you keep messing with that fish on my stringer?!!." I guess he and his buddies were holding back their laughter as my bro was fishing for this guys fish for over an hour! Needless to say I've never let him forget about that one. Every time we walk down a stream I point to fish on stringers and say....Wow, look at that pod of fish. Go get 'em!

Have you ever been on a real shrimpn' boat? No, but I've been on a real big boat!
    steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Funny Fishing Stories 2008/12/18 12:07:00 (permalink)
    About ten yrs ago me and my dad were fishing the fall loc derby up Lake O. A rigger went off and we taught we had the salmon derby winner, fought the fish for an hour. He came up and he was hooked right in the back fin.

She had bad body odor but boy could she sure skin a salmon!
    "Trust but verify" R.R.
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 925
    RE: Funny Fishing Stories 2008/12/18 12:13:51 (permalink)
    hunting/beer story.  

So me and four friends were small game hunting in Somerset county.  We walk in about 25 feet from the road and there, lying in the weeds, was a whole case of Miller beer.  We each start loading our game bags with the bottles.  I said, well, I've got my limit for the day. 
    euphoboy
    Novice Angler
    RE: Funny Fishing Stories 2008/12/18 12:21:42 (permalink)
    lol...nice.

You planning on having them mounted?

gct069
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: Funny Fishing Stories 2008/12/18 12:44:10 (permalink)
    just this past year at the stopsign hole.i had an incident with another "fisherman"that was kinda funny....there were a few folks fishing there,the creek was flowing nice and there were a lot of fish.the gentlemen next to me was very nice and we started chattin away,and helped each other netting fish.along comes this other "fisherman".and seeing we were doing ok as far as catching fish,decided to jump in almost on top of us.there was plenty of room around us but he decided he wanted to be where we were.my new found friend decided that was enuff and moved to the other side of me.the "fisherman"then decided to crowd me.i held my hand up and told him "thats close enuff".a few casts later,the "fisherman"hooks into a nice fish.he immediatly started backpeddling toward shore when he tripped over a rock he didnt see.nevertheless he got very wet.my new found friend and i got a good chuckle out of it......tell me there is no fishing god?.....btw.the "fisherman"didnt get hurt.his pride maybe, but physically he was ok.

gerg
    egg sac
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 517
    RE: Funny Fishing Stories 2008/12/18 14:52:51 (permalink)
    Years ago A friend of mine and myself were night fishing for inshore Walleyes along lake Erie.This was early may just after season opener. Well we had a prety good night already with a few nice Walleyes each on our stringers.Well my buddy desides he is going to walk father west along the lake to try his luck. About a minute or 2 goes by and I go to look his way he is like gone no were to be found.I called his name out a few times with no answer.Then all the sudden out in the lake I see what looks like a huge sea turtle surfacing. And low and behold it was my friend( big guy was around 400 lbs at this time) still holding his stringer and pole but wth filled up waders. Seems he stepped off the cement wall along side the creek were it entered the lake and the stream had been a bit high and it flushed him out in the lake.

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
    WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
    wilbur_83
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: Funny Fishing Stories 2008/12/18 16:02:03 (permalink)
    Alright...I got one at my uncle's expense...

Swan Cove on Presque Isle, Fall 1980...

My dad, uncle and myself used to hit PI Bay hard back in the "coho days".  We couldnt go out on the main lake much as our boat was 18'.  It was a deep V but when Erie gets rough - we'd just stay in the bay.  Well - you see - my uncle was the "pooper" of the family.  I mean he'd poop before we left, on the way to launch the boat, and somtimes right before we'd shove off at the west pier in Marina Bay.  After trolling all of the morning and into the afternoon we had made our way out into the main chanel - when - my uncle says "Butch - I gotta "poop".  He used alot more colorful language than that - So use your imagination.  Dad ignores him as usual.  "BUTCH - I GOTTA POOP"!  Dad would get P.O.'d every time we were out this would happen and wouldnt let him go in a bucket.  "Not in my boat"  He'd say.  Knowing my uncle - I cant say that I blame him.

By now my uncle is standing - grinding his pipe between his teeth - smoke looked like it was coming out of his ears.  Dad's like "J***** *****t Jim - you went twice today already!  Tells me - "bring in the lines".  I do and we go hauling butt full throttle towards the penninsula to his favorite stop - Swan Cove.  My uncle is still standing - hat pulled way down so it wont blow off - grinding on his pipe - and hanging on to the windshield ready to flip it open as soon as we get ashore.  We get about oh - say - about 50 yards from shore - that little outhouse with just a "hole" in the floor is in plain sight.  Dad backs it off and nothing.  We hit sand - the water there is like a foot deep.  I know we're not going to make it clear to shore.  By this time he's up on the bow.  "PUNCH IT BUTCH"!  Dad's got the trottle down and my uncle boots pants and all goes into the water.  LANDS ON HIS FEET and starts heading to shore.  Gets to the edge of the water and there's a little sloped bank there about 3 high.  Steps on on a root with wet boots and you guessed it - falls right on his back and proceeds to fill his britches - pipe still in his teeth.  I've never seen my dad laugh so hard in his life.  Needless to say - he never lived that down.  We had to go back to the camper at the launch to get him a change of clothes.  My dad told that story over and over and would bring down the house.  As I do now.

I hope there is a heaven.  Because if there is...they are both fishing there right now.
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Funny Fishing Stories 2008/12/18 16:16:20 (permalink)
    wilbur... I'm losing it here... the mental picture of it is enough...

hahahahahahah
    wilbur_83
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: Funny Fishing Stories 2008/12/18 16:42:49 (permalink)
    oh - there's more...fishing with my dad and uncles there was never a dull moment...Its no wonder why I like fishing with my feet on tera-firma....And I havent even scratched the surface on hunting stories....I'll save those for another day....
    John 316
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: Funny Fishing Stories 2008/12/19 08:30:55 (permalink)
    Great stories!  I needed a good laugh today!  Thanks fella's!

Ready, Fire, Aim!
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: Funny Fishing Stories 2008/12/19 09:35:50 (permalink)

My boss invited me and a coworker along on a fishing trip to erie with the guys from his hunting camp.  Well, I have a problem with the "grass is always greener on the other side of the crick," so I decided to cross a bridge, and come down the bank on the other side.  With a little over a foot of snow on, it was treacherous. 
           I managed to get into the crick with freezing hands, feet, etc.  I had a few nice drift lanes i took advantage of and fished for over an hour from that spot.  Well, I was about completely frooze, and they wanted to head towards 20 mile, so I had to climb out of the spot. 
          I accessed the situation, and decided the crossing the crick in chest waders was safer then climbing back up the bank/cliff/cobblestones buried in snow.  I knew there was a ledge in front of me, I just wasnt sure how far it dropped off.  Well with my numb dumb foot, I tried to tiptoe to the edge, and "feel" down over with my foot to see what the drop was.
          The next few seconds felt like an eternity.  With my boss and coworker watching from across the crick, I chickened out on the crossing plan, spun around, crossed my feet, tried to take a step, hit a cobblestone up to my knee, and dropped. I was on my knees with the water flowing swiftly around me, and tried to stand up, only to lose my balance further.  I had to put my hand down in the icy water to regain my balance, and water started into my waders.  i finally stood up, ashamed and embarassed, and climbed out of the crick up the cobble stone hill. 

I have yet to hear the end of it. 
    euphoboy
    Novice Angler
    RE: Funny Fishing Stories 2008/12/19 10:42:41 (permalink)
    A few years back I was fishing at the mouth of Deer Creek on the Allegheny River in Harmarville. For those of you who are familiar with that spot, you know the river is very shallow 3/4 of the way across and then drops off close to the island. It is a no wake zone in between the island and the harmarville boat ramp. I was wading about halfway across (as many people do) enjoying an evening of smallmouth and walleye/sauger action when this idiot flies by in his $50,000 Ranger Bass Boat. His wake nearly knocks me over as we shared a couple of explicitves and hand gestures.

As the sun was setting, this guy comes flying past me again. He was heading back to the boat ramp to load up. He thought he would put an end to our ****ing contest by gunning it and flying by me much closer this time at full throttle. I braced myself for the wake and watched as he slammed his prop off of a huge bolder just inches below the surface about 100yds down river. It was the most horrible sound I've ever heard. I can't tell you how fast he was going, but it was pretty fast. He flew over the console and landed on the casting deck as the boat bottomed out as well. The motor and maybe the transom were all tore up from what I could make out with little daylight left. At first it wasn't funny at all (no accidents are), and I started making my way down to make sure he was alright. But, when he stood up just fine and started boohoo'ing about tearing the **** end of his boat to pieces, it was hard to wipe the "that's what you get" grin off of my face.

deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Funny Fishing Stories 2008/12/19 23:17:10 (permalink)
    I was fishing the manchester hole a few years back with a friend. Not many other anglers around at the time but us and 3 others. We were all spread out plenty of space. I know what you are all thinking but its true , only a few anglers there. I was 15 feet away from this ole timmer. He was having trouble casting, getting his bait to where he wanted it to go. As you all know there is this ledge there and if your not careful , you can take a header right off that ledge. Well this ole timmer kept inching his way to that ledge and low and behold he went in. I rushed over to help get him out. He was fine and continued to fish, a little bit wet but fine.Well dont you know he done it again 3 casts later. Yes I went to help again,and once again he brushed himself down and continued to fish. I though what a trooper. Didnt even faze the guy. I hooked into a fish a couple of minutes later and the fight was on. He though hed return the favor and help me net the fish and you can guess what he done again , yup, right in he went and this time he went all the way in over his head. I ended up netting him out of the water instead of the fish. I asked him if the third time was the charm and maybe its time to hang it up for the day. He replied i think your right.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    nwomer79
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Funny Fishing Stories 2008/12/20 14:26:59 (permalink)
    i was camping with my family at pymituming "spell?" i was fourteen or so and i wanted to catch some big fish so i grabbed a loaf of bread my pole hopped on my bike and rode to the spillway.  i got there and walked out on the rocks and proceeded to catch some large carp it was great.  it was drizzling and slick so i was ready to go when these two nice looking girls came over and started to talk to me so i stayed i told them my name was worm and things were going good in my mind, then i hooked a large carp at that moment i said to the ladies in my best arnold voice "I am the worminator i"ll be Bait."  set the hook and slipped and fell into the spillway.  boy am i a tool i thought, they laughed at me and and left as i struggled to get out of that hell hole.  i rode back to camp without my rod or any pride.  
    Jump to: