Author
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6356
  • Reward points: 0
2008/12/13 13:59:37 (permalink)

Have the Tribs Reached saturation?

Gentlemen,
     After being up to the tribs a few times this year (much less then normal) I think maybe we should ask if the "fishing experience" on the Erie tribs has reached the saturation point.  When I first started fishing the tribs; admittedly right after they invented dirt, a person could have a decent day casting over numerous fish and maybe only have to share a hole with one other person, most times someone you asked to fish with you.  You got out, you walked and you discovered and you enjoyed.  There wasn't litter and trash along the creeks (other than the stuff washed down by floods) and the banks didn't look like an extension of I-79.
     Then it got to be that to get solitude you had to go up early in the year.  Then the "word" got out and that became crowded.
     Then weekday fishing became the way to "get away" and I started taking vacations to fish during the week.  Then that got written up and the weekdays became crowded.
     The last vestage was late season fishing.  Fish during cold weather.  Now there are almost more folks fishing for steel than hunting for deer, and finding any stretch to be alone or with a friend on has become almost impossible.  If you go for the fishing and not for the beauty you will probably be disappointed.
     ALmost everywhere I go I'm finding more and more people. And like living conditions when people get crowded I think it brings out the worst in them.
     Now I'm not asking for any Name-calling, or finger pointing.  I'm simply asking my friends if they feel the same way.  I'll still keep trying to fish for steel, but much of the adventure has gone from it.  It's seemed to become less of a recreation and more of a competition.

Illegitimis Non carborundum

33 Replies Related Threads

glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: Have the Tribs Reached saturation? 2008/12/13 14:23:01 (permalink)
    THE GOOD OLE DAYS ARE GONE AND IT WILL ONLY GET WORSE. WE USED TO NOT STOP AT 20 MILE IF THERE WERE 3 CARS AT RTE. 5. I ACTUALLY WALKED IN WITH A FLASHLIGHT THE OTHER DAY. HAD A RUN TO MYSELF TIL 9 OCLOCK. EACH YEAR WE THREATEN TO QUIT, BUT ENDUP FISHING ANYWAY. ITS STILL FUN TO SEE FRIENDS, PLAY WITH ALL THE GEAR, COOK THE LUNCHES, HELP A KID ONCE IN A WHILE. WISH MORE DIVORCED WOMEN WOULD TAKE IT UP, I WOULDN'T MIND GETTING CROWDED.   GLEN
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Have the Tribs Reached saturation? 2008/12/13 14:24:29 (permalink)
    Jack, it seems now (all times during the season) it's like a new device going on sale @ Best Buy, lines & progressions. I hope there never comes a time when you have to take a ticket to get a spot. Although solitude can be found (if not for a little while) once in a while. You're right, the progression - the word is out, the fish are there, warm clothes are for sale, and less of us working (weekday fishing). Ain't nothin Sacred???? I've learned to roll with the punches and get a drift when I can. And realized, "Nothing is as it was"   Dave
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Have the Tribs Reached saturation? 2008/12/13 14:30:57 (permalink)
    elephanthead.
        Maybe I'm just lamenting my lost youth or my ability to get around like I "ustacould".  But I really miss not feeling pressured.  And I think the worse part of it is I'm tending to get a little more selfish with my help to my fellow anglers.  Still do it, but not as openly. 
         Glen I remember those days on 20 mile.  Or when 12 mile was only fished by folks who lived across from the creek?  And when you would rarely see people above the Legion hole.  Crooked Creek?  That might as well have been in Philly for all the action it got.  I still know of some places that are Wayyyy out of the way.  But they are disappreaing too.
    post edited by indsguiz - 2008/12/13 14:34:39

elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Have the Tribs Reached saturation? 2008/12/13 14:40:28 (permalink)
    Don't think you're alone. I call it "melancholia". but not to the state the dictionary defines. I mean what would we tell our kids on how it used to be?? If everything was the same now. Now that's a 1/2 full glass if I ever saw one. AND - sometimes I actually believe myself !!  Dave
    Texcobb99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: Have the Tribs Reached saturation? 2008/12/13 14:48:49 (permalink)
    I have only been Steelhead fishing for about 4 years, and I definitely see a difference even in that lilttle time.  I am very much like you Indy in regards to savoring the solitude.  When I first started Oct-Nov was crowded and Dec-? was very sparse.  NOW unless it's 10 degrees or blown out you will be with many in a hole.  Four years ago I rarely saw fishing line on the ground, NOW I ALWAYS see line spread across at every angle. 

I think it is only going to get worse before it gets better.  I still come up as often as I can, but those days may be ending, based on the remaining of the year.  Pretty soon we will need stream moderators on every section of the tribs dishing out spots, and keeping the peace.

Oh well......time can only tell.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Have the Tribs Reached saturation? 2008/12/13 15:42:16 (permalink)
    Tex,
        As far as the line thing goes I believe it's because some people want to see just how light they cano and wind up breaking of way too much.  Here's a hint: nothing smallerthan 6#;nd nothing smaller than 6# tippett.  Last year I hooked a steelie and it had over 8 feet of line hooked to it's dorsal fin.

FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Have the Tribs Reached saturation? 2008/12/13 16:16:02 (permalink)
    Amen.

Very well put.

About the line also. I have to laugh when I see reports like, went 2 for 30.

chartist
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 925
    RE: Have the Tribs Reached saturation? 2008/12/13 16:18:34 (permalink)
    I am going to start fishing the cleveland area tribs soon....I gotta believe there's less pressure there......
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2529
    RE: Have the Tribs Reached saturation? 2008/12/13 16:27:55 (permalink)
    Yep, your right. Ain't what it used to be, but then again, what is? Seems to me a lot of people are of the opinion that just because they have put time, effort and money into the pursuit of catching some steel, that gives them a right to horn in and leave their good manners, if they indeed had any to begin with , at home. Boorish behavior as far as I am concerned is unacceptable no matter where it happens. There have been times when I didn't even wet a line where I planed to fish because of the crush of humanity along and in the stream. Just moved on. By nature I am a solitary type of individual and prefer to fish waters that are not worked up to froth by overly ardent anglers who consider the time fishing is wasted unless they catch their limit. I for one fish for relaxation. If it wasn't fun or somday ceases to be I will sell all my equipment. I refuse to let others ruin the precious time I spend following my piscatorial pursuits. I have often wondered how some people by their very actions can enjoy themselves while at the same time ruining things for others around them. Can they possibly be that oblivious to others or just plain stupid?

"If someone offers you a breath mint, take it.

wishfishin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: Have the Tribs Reached saturation? 2008/12/13 16:38:07 (permalink)
    I wholeheartedly agree that the steelheading experience has changed significantly over the past few years, and that if you are looking for solitude, unpressured water, or even just the freedom to roam a bit, the changes are not for the better.

Personally, I think all those things are still available, but they are harder and harder to find. 

And I hate to say more about it than that, because if I do, they will just be that much harder to find in the future.

I think there is a time honored tradition among fisherman, that wise fisherman respect in others and treasure themselves, and that is that we all have our "secrets".
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Have the Tribs Reached saturation? 2008/12/13 17:57:39 (permalink)
    Indy
        I totally agree with you, but on rare days you can find some solitude for yourself. Might not always be the best days but they are there once in awhile. Those are the ones you need to cherish and remember. Back in the day, yes there were more days like that, but now a days there are more people fishing for steelies than ever before. Times have changed and you gotta roll with the punches as they say.You may not like it but if its the thing you like to do then we all will learn to cope with it. Untill im unable to fish anymore then ill be there , pole in hand and ready to fish.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: Have the Tribs Reached saturation? 2008/12/13 18:16:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: chartist

I am going to start fishing the cleveland area tribs soon....I gotta believe there's less pressure there......

There is less pressure because the water is much bigger and there's  less than 1/2 the amount of fish.
    Most who are used to Pa trib fishing will find a whole 'nother world in  Ohio.
    Sight fishing isn't the norm and there are miles of dead water.
    No place in Pa will you walk for miles and not trip over fish.
    However, the known holes/spots on Ohio tribs   all get regular pressure.

Indi, I noticed the explosion of angers started around '00-'01.
    The numbers of fish stocked and the returns from '00 to about '05 were nothing short of phenomenal.
    Elk was "saturated" with FISH.
    The angler explosion was no coincidence and tied directly to amount of fish and easy pickin's
    (imHo of coarse) 

Has the luster of Pa trib fishing diminished for me?
    Not really, I generally fish alone more often than not, so I've never found it terribly difficult to find a few fish to call my own
     or slip into a spot that's more "popular" with the would-be trout gawds.
    I do fish Ohio tribs more than Pa though.
    Mostly cause they're the closest to me

..L.T.A.
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: Have the Tribs Reached saturation? 2008/12/13 18:47:00 (permalink)
    Jesus.....I landed over 40 fish today on 2 creeks and saw 10 guys out all day. Fish hit every jig I threw. Anyone who feels it's saturated please make that your reason to quit because it's ****ed fine for some of us still.
    GadaboutGaddus
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: Have the Tribs Reached saturation? 2008/12/13 19:07:37 (permalink)
    Indi, I agree with many of the comments that have been stated on this post. I started out coming to Erie to fish for the Cohos! You never saw  anyone. Then that program was replaced by the Steelhead program. At first there was plenty of room for everyone to fish. As the years have gone by, the streams have become more and more crowded! It is hard sometimes to find your spot on the stream to fish at times! We have resorted to having buddies hold holes for us so we had a place to fish. Look at how much of the stream frontage has been posted in the last five years. This is in response to the over crowded conditions at times. Land owners no longer want to put up the inconsiderate fisherman. With more and more people reading about steelhead alley in various publications and how good it is it was bound to happen. The good old days have long been gone. It is a nice shot in the arm of the Erie economy to have all these people come in and spend money. Almost 10 million dollars worth annually! Hard to turn that down. But the down side to this is the streams can only support so many anglers per day! We are currently at that breaking point right now. We had a good thing and still do! But where does the influx of humanity stop? Until we can find a solution we will have more posted property and unhappy fisherman! Good post and something we must begin to talk about more!

May your fly rod always be bent!
    strandman220
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 140
    RE: Have the Tribs Reached saturation? 2008/12/13 19:09:52 (permalink)
    The tribs reached saturation 10 years ago. There is nothing like it. I cant think of a place on earth with so many large trout in a small area. Like Erie tribs. Is that going to draw a crowd. You bet your**** Take it for what it is. Because it sure aint gonna last.

forelle
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Have the Tribs Reached saturation? 2008/12/13 19:21:51 (permalink)
    It all comes down to priorities if solitude is number one on your list, there is still a ton of water in this state that is completely un-pressured and isolated if you are happy fishing for winter/fall trout. If 10lb steelhead is #1, well the you have to deal with the crowds.

glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: Have the Tribs Reached saturation? 2008/12/13 19:39:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: joebaker79

Jesus.....I landed over 40 fish today on 2 creeks and saw 10 guys out all day. Fish hit every jig I threw. Anyone who feels it's saturated please make that your reason to quit because it's ****ed fine for some of us still.

EVEN A BLIND PIG GETS AN ACORN ONCE IN A WHILE, THAT DOESN'T MEAN THINGS HAVEN'T CHANGED IN THE LAST 20 YEARS. I CAN LAND [ I MEAN HOOK]40 ON A GOOD DAY AND STILL **** ABOUT THE CURRENT CONDITIONS. I FISH PLACES WITH NO PRESSURE BUT EACH YEAR THOSE PLACES ARE FEWER. IT ISN'T SO MUCH THE NUMBERS OF PEOPLE, IT'S THE LACK OF ANY TRADITIONAL ETIQUETTE [SIC] ON THE CREEK
    PS. I'LL QUIT WHEN I HAVE TO THROW JIGS, I CAN DRIFT THEM OR DANCE THEM, I'M IRISH           GLEN
    strandman220
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 140
    RE: Have the Tribs Reached saturation? 2008/12/13 22:14:56 (permalink)
    forelle.. Well said..
    flyfishindave
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 659
    RE: Have the Tribs Reached saturation? 2008/12/13 22:23:34 (permalink)
    Jack I agree things have changed in the last 10 years but the did on spring creek & the little J also any good fishery has gotten that way in the western states, & by the way it is dam cold here in montana, I am going to start on that bamboo when I get home
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: Have the Tribs Reached saturation? 2008/12/13 22:23:39 (permalink)
    indy, the fear of combat fishing has kept me away.  i still plan to get up once or twice, but i think it will be some nice day in march.  i like people, especially fishing people, but i refuse to get into a war of words with other anglers.

bowmandjk
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 151
    RE: Have the Tribs Reached saturation? 2008/12/13 22:51:48 (permalink)
    jack i agree with you the other day i drove to upper elk saw 12 cars and it was during the week so i just went home and picked another time ,thats a luxury i have by living here and being retired or i pick a creek that doesnt have many fish but no one on it ,but those are being discovered and being lost  i guess we just have to play it day by day

any day of fishing is a gift
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    RE: Have the Tribs Reached saturation? 2008/12/14 00:22:53 (permalink)
    But you are SuperFisherMan, Joe.

Everyone isn't as skilled as you.

Did you fish a whole hour
    or just 1/2?

BTW, some might take offense at the way you started that post.
    post edited by FiveMilePete - 2008/12/14 00:25:02
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: Have the Tribs Reached saturation? 2008/12/14 01:59:51 (permalink)
    Hmmmm, I landed fish on jigs, crystal meth, and san juan worms. Pretty diservified fishing eh? I fish all season long and enjoy every trip regardless of numbers. I choose not to **** and moan about all the drawbacks like many do here. Put a tampon in, and enjoy what is there. It's as if many want it to end just because so many people know about steelhead fishing in PA.

Guess what...........it wasn't meant for YOU. It was meant for EVERYONE to enjoy. Get a f'ing clue. There has to be a reason you're not enjoying your fishing and it has nothing to do with the fishery. Get your balls wet more and everything is a little more tolerable. .02
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Have the Tribs Reached saturation? 2008/12/14 08:06:54 (permalink)
    There has been an evolution in steelhead fishing.  The number of fisherman has grown exponentially over the years.  While we who have been fishing the streams for years may lament the loss of solitude and low fishing pressure, we must learn to adapt to the changes. 

There have been a number improvements in equipment and tackle over the years.  Many classic fly patterns are still effective, but over the years people have introduced many new patterns that are catching fish.  Spey and switch rods have appeared on the scene as well as centerpin reels and float rods.  The noodle rod to has evolved as well as tippet material, line, floats, etc...

The one thing that has not changed for me is the thrill of feeling a steelie grab a fly and shake its head once it has realized it was hooked.  That moment is as special as it every was and has not changed no matter how many people may be fishing around me.  As long as I still enjoy that, I will be steelhead fishing on the tribs in PA.

pax vobiscum +
    steeliefever
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: Have the Tribs Reached saturation? 2008/12/14 11:23:51 (permalink)
    no...i do not think so at all...still plenty of places to go and plenty of time during the day (after dark fishing can be productive long after people have left  "honey holes") to say things are saturated...IMHO saturation would be elbow to elbow (like the wall at walnut is early on) every stretch of open area on every stream from sunrise to 10 pm every day...not even close to that right now...i fished stretches of 20-mile last week without seeing a single person for hours...i do not buty this overcrowded nonsense at all...

SI
    post edited by steeliefever - 2008/12/14 13:34:35

"Policy is what the kingpins want. What the others want is juvenile delinquency."

John Updike

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything."

Mark Twain

NYFISHER
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: Have the Tribs Reached saturation? 2008/12/14 11:59:54 (permalink)

Get your balls wet more and everything is a little more tolerable. .02

If your balls are wet, then you're standing where you should be fishing.

just sayin...
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: Have the Tribs Reached saturation? 2008/12/14 14:09:37 (permalink)
    Everywhere I use to hunt/fish has changed. I miss the solitude that I use to have. I just get out when I can and enjoy it. Today's fishing is tomorrow's good old days....

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    RE: Have the Tribs Reached saturation? 2008/12/14 20:08:48 (permalink)
    So, now you are not only super fisherman, but mr. macho man,
    and everyone who doesn't agree with you deserves to be ridiculed and insulted?

Maybe you should get a clue.
    johnnyb
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: Have the Tribs Reached saturation? 2008/12/14 20:16:29 (permalink)

Hmmmm, I landed fish on jigs, crystal meth, and san juan worms. Pretty diservified fishing eh? I fish all season long and enjoy every trip regardless of numbers. I choose not to **** and moan about all the drawbacks like many do here. Put a tampon in, and enjoy what is there. It's as if many want it to end just because so many people know about steelhead fishing in PA.

Guess what...........it wasn't meant for YOU. It was meant for EVERYONE to enjoy. Get a f'ing clue. There has to be a reason you're not enjoying your fishing and it has nothing to do with the fishery. Get your balls wet more and everything is a little more tolerable. .02

No truer words could have ever been said Joe!  I fish erie only once a year because of the drive (8hrs) and I fish for the experience and the beauty, landing a fish is just a plus. Although I enjoy my solitude, just being there and doing what I enjoy is all that matters. Its true that Erie has the bigger numbers of fish and yes also more anglers but hey thats life. When we learn to accept what we can't change it just gets easier.    
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: