Atlantic Salmon

Author
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/15 01:59:16 (permalink)

Atlantic Salmon

Has anyone ever fished for Atlantic Salmon? Not the land locked variety.
It is my dream to go to Newfoundland, Labradour, Quebec, Heck even England, Ireland, Norway, or Russia to fish for them. Dream big they say.

I have quite a few books in my library that are written about it. My favorite being an autographed copy of "The Atlantic Salmon" by Lee Wulff. I keep this copy safe, and read another for obvious reasons.
If anyone has ever fished them I'd love to hear about it. I would like nothing more than skating dries, or fishing wets through a pool just knowing I'm fishing over them.
I can almost feel that feeling one must have when a fish so much as moves toward the fly. I could fish for a month just for a bump if I had the chance, and the money.
I also have a Green Highlander tied on a gut loop eyed hook a guy in Newfoundland tied for me. It is a wonderful fly.
Does anyone know of any public waters to fish? I know the margeree' has public fishing, but I'm not aware of any other places.
Like I said it's just a dream right now, as I can't put my own ambitions above my family's needs, but some day I hope to get there.

post edited by salmotrutta - 2007/06/15 02:00:30

Lyrical

9 Replies Related Threads

Steel
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Atlantic Salmon 2007/06/15 09:48:17 (permalink)
    Salmo,
    It's an admirable dream... one that you should follow through on as soon as you can. As time goes by there will probably be fewer and fewer places to go.

I have been to the Margaree a few times although I have not gone in probably the last 7 or 8 years. I still have an image of a huge female Atlantic rising to take my Bommer skating on the surface. It is an image I will never forget for as long as I live. After taking the Bommer she dove into a deep channel, temporarily snagging my line on the ledge, only to reverse direction and shoot out of the water like a missile launched from a sub. She was clear over my head !!! 20 minutes later she was in my hands for a quick photo then released to hopefully spawn many more years. An incredible moment.

I’m sure prices have changes since I was last up there, but my buddy and I used to drive 12 hours from Portland Maine to fish up there. We stayed at a place that had great little cabins for what we thought was a  steal. When splitting the price with friends it was cheap. I was out of college only a few years and was on a really small budget and could afford it. Times have probably changed though.

One thing that I totally enjoyed about fishing the Margaree was fishing in rotation. This is a concept that I have brought up on the SR discussion boards a few times to no avail. On the Margaree you will never see fishermen elbow to elbow like you do on the SR. People actually take turns there and rotate through a pool giving everyone an equal opportunity to fish the entire pool. They have nice benches where you can sit and talk to the other fishermen while you wait your turn. It’s a great opportunity to learn from the more experienced folks sitting with you. The Scenery in N.S. is amazing so just enjoying the view is worth the time while waiting to hit the water.

I hope this helps to get your juice going. Make the effort to go. You wont regret it !!!

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Atlantic Salmon 2007/06/15 12:03:34 (permalink)
    Salmo,
         Been ther, done that!  But as with steel it has been years.  There used to be some places in Maine with public access and there are hotels in N.S. that offer fishing packages.  Some of it is FFO  Some of it is open water.  It is still amazingly inexpensive considering the experience.  My advise would be to scour the on-line references, check out the hotels and summer homes and also see what packages they offer.  If you do go take a large, stiff rod.  Something on the line of an 8 weight, or heavier, BIG Streamer flies, and good warm clothing.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Beedhed
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Atlantic Salmon 2007/06/15 20:26:17 (permalink)
    Salmo,

Just about all the New England states have an Atlantic Salmon program.The Connecticut River for starters and many other larger inland rivers in New Hampshire, Mass,  Maine the dump into the ocean.

Do some searching around you'll be surprised whats around without the cost.

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Atlantic Salmon 2007/06/15 22:20:22 (permalink)
    Beedhead- Thanks for that. I knew there were some in conn., but I didn't know if fishing was allowed.

Steel- What you've described is just how I dream it would be. Thanks.

Surely there are Atlantics in Heaven.

Lyrical
    Foxfire
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Atlantic Salmon 2007/06/16 11:30:33 (permalink)
    Maine is on the fast track with its atlantic salmon program. Also the Kennebunk has been getting very good returns of shad, which is awesome news to hear. If you get shad, you will get atlantics (eventually). The problem is that the indigenous strains are exstinct and trying to replace the strain (with another) is not an easy task.

If you have a chance to fish the Gasbey or Newfoundland, I would do it sooner than later, as the runs are getting smaller and smaller each year.

I had the pleasure of meeting Keld Olsen at the LOSA seminar and listening to him convinced me that a major road trip to either Norway or Russia should be made (at least once in a life time).
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Atlantic Salmon 2007/06/16 12:58:15 (permalink)
    Foxfire,I checked all the roadmaps I could find,there are no roads from Penna. to Norway or Russia.......sorry could n't help it.
    Anyone finding Skams or Atlantics on the SR this summer?
    JeffL
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Atlantic Salmon 2007/06/16 16:25:00 (permalink)
    Salmo- My dad and I are tryin to put a trip together for next summer upto Gaspe. Stonefly has been a great help in getting us information. I also have a cousin that goes every year and in talking to him, its all about the lottery and getting the most productive holes. Not that you can't get them in the public spots, but from what I hear the lotto is worth it. 
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Atlantic Salmon 2007/06/17 18:29:37 (permalink)
    I should add my mentour goes up fishing for them every year. He used to get a bunch together, drive up in an RV and fish the margaree. Was an 11 day trip and cost less than $700 a piece. Just about the time I got enough vacation time to do this he met a guy with more $ who also has a plane. Now they go fishing for Brookies, Have done the lottery thing on the Gaspe, and some of the other well known rivers which cost about $500 a day to fish. Those waters I believe are private and you stay with an outfitter kinda like Lee Wulff did. The chance of catching a fish is much greater they say due to the fish seeing less flies, people, etc.. I think the rivers they fish now are mainly in Quebec. Hint as I may there have been no plane rides offered. LOL

JeffL- My mentour fished the Gaspe last year and Loved it. The water clarity and all. Said it was like fishing an aquarium. He caught a big female on a dry. She was 42" long. I saw the pic and she was a bright and wonderful fish. Anyhow the lotterys were a great thing he said, and some limmited you to catching 2 salmon a day (which the guide must help enforce) then you must quit. A now famous Great Lakes Steelhead Fisherman had told my mentour of catching 12 Salmon on the same water one fine day. When my mentour questioned the guide about this his reply was he had most likely given the guide a cash insentive to lose count...
    post edited by salmotrutta - 2007/06/17 18:31:34

Lyrical
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Atlantic Salmon 2007/06/18 17:06:47 (permalink)
    Gentlemen,
         Don't forget the St Lawrence side of the coin.   There are some quite nice rivers on the East bank of the St. in Quebec province.   I'm not allowed to mention names of places or my friends will be very displeased.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Jump to: