Any safe ice yet?

Author
New York Yank
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Reward points: 0
2008/12/10 06:17:59 (permalink)

Any safe ice yet?

I heard of one place with 6" in northern saratoga county, thats now before the rain.  I am wondering if anyone knows about Caroga lake's condition.  I'm jonesing to get out there with the flasher.

I jig with marmooskas, jigging raps, pimples, kastmasters and assorted tiny jigs and spoons with mousies or minnow heads on em.

10 Replies Related Threads

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Any safe ice yet? 2008/12/10 07:14:26 (permalink)
    Check our Iceshanty.com ... lots of up to date info, i too heard of a few small places being fished.
    Not sure how bad this rain and 40's will hurt us ????

C-ya
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Any safe ice yet? 2008/12/10 14:48:56 (permalink)
    Over 60 degrees and steady light warm rain here in NNJ. This is typical global warming patterns I suppose! me thinks january down here..  ocean has small craft advisory so i can't even do that, tied all my rigs everything is packed to go fishing!  Oh well, back to shop till  I drop online again! soon i'm going to need a govt bailout too !lol .. i'm just kidding.. i think! At least I got it out of the way!  just some toys/books for the small kids..  only need to shop now for some good party wines
    post edited by backin79 - 2008/12/10 14:58:30
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Any safe ice yet? 2008/12/10 16:57:29 (permalink)
    fellow co-worker has been on the ice localy for the last 5 weeks. The word is out and that area has been crowded with the bite off.
    I was going to hit a eastern ADK lake that my buddy lives on but it is not real thick, safe in the bays but iffy in the mid section. Another close by ADK pond is solid and has been getting fished but dink perch are the norm.
    Western ADK has had some good ice and giving up decent pike and panfish.

This slight (1day) warm/rain is not going to kill the areas that already have thickness but will make those skim ice places start over.
    There is safe Ice out there , PM me or check with those who know.

Be safe & stay on top.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: Any safe ice yet? 2008/12/22 13:30:20 (permalink)
    I read that some fisherman are on Brant Lake!!!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Any safe ice yet? 2008/12/22 17:58:29 (permalink)
    Perch:
    Yup, they have been fishing the area lakes for 2 weeks now. My buddy fished 1 yesterday in the blizzard I chickened out.
    We are looking at heading up to 1 on Sat , you & the Snyders gang are welcome to come along.

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Any safe ice yet? 2008/12/23 12:54:57 (permalink)
    Tuna- 

It's looking like I will most likely be sticking around Albany for the long Holiday weekend if you still want to meet up.  I was supposed to be out on Otisco and Cross Lakes out in CNY, but it's not looking like that is going to happen unless my buddy calls me within the next 24hrs.

Otherwise I am staying put and spending that gas money on Saranacs and blank CDs :)  Gimme' a call if you need any company or want to stay local for a day this weekend.  I am thinking Round Lake is ready to give up the Pike or Tiger of a lifetime this year.  And that shallow dish is surely frozen by now.

To all the rest of you hoodlums around Albany, "MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!"

Hope to see you all out at my place swilling some toddies around the fire and chasing tip-up flags sometime in February.  Lake froze this week, with some soft spots (as usual) in the middle.  Even though we wer below ZERO last night!  Jeesh- there must be some wicked springs in that lake!

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Any safe ice yet? 2008/12/23 15:29:58 (permalink)
    Jimmy:
    Sat is a go no matter what nature can throw at me. I was planning on getting Loony but if you have a better plan I'm game.

As to everyone here on FUSA , Happy Holidays , get hammered in each their own way and play it safe.
                                Peace & Tuna

eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Any safe ice yet? 2008/12/23 15:48:29 (permalink)
    Tuna:

Eagle Crg and I were wondering if Crane Pond is frozen.  We hiked in there last year and it was great except for crossing all that water.  Will probably stick with Lake Lonely or Round Lake until after the holidays.

Hope all have a safe and healthy Christmas/New Year!

Eagle Ed

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Any safe ice yet? 2008/12/23 16:31:37 (permalink)
    eagle:
    while I can not say for sure I would bet it is due to other surroundindg sized lakes(ponds) being solid. You guys have my respect for treking in there, for me it is a sled ride (snowmobile) . There is a trail to the left that detours the water but it also adds to the hike.

Enjoy , stay safe and good fishin'

New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Any safe ice yet? 2008/12/24 21:12:27 (permalink)
    WE HAVE AN EAGLE ED SIGHTING!  Hi Ed... hope all is well.  Have ya been on Lake Lonely already? If so, is the trail packed down yet?   Looking forward to the pannies this year and those dinky little pike they have. 

MERRY CHRISTMAS / HAPPY HANUKKAH TO ALL YOU LOCAL ANGLERS... HOPE TO SEE A LOT OF YOU FOLKS ON THE ICE THIS WINTER    

Jump to: