jimmy over at shanty already

Author
backin79
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1582
  • Reward points: 0
2008/12/07 16:10:32 (permalink)

jimmy over at shanty already

no wonder this forum is dead! everyone is over at the shanty site discussion forum about the fella and his son getting off saranac lk.early ice ! I tried joining but waiting for the moderators validation! lol

9 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: jimmy over at shanty already 2008/12/07 17:50:34 (permalink)
    I have been on shanty for 6 years and a member for 5. It's cool to see the guys getting around and sharing the same interests.

Shanty is a great site but it gives out way to much information , aka. partridge run. Things get pretty crowded on the ice once fish reports show up. The great and what I feel the most important info that can and is given are the safe ice conditions. That right there can save lives.

you won't see me posting a lot of reports there but I'm looking forward to seeing ya all over on shanty.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: jimmy over at shanty already 2008/12/07 18:03:18 (permalink)
    P.S.

I would like to have a get together with fellow members on Schroon this season for a day or 2. I posted this to another forum I belong to and we always have a great time. The dates we threw out are 1/24>25
    1/31>2/1 , 2/7/>8  .  These are just some get together dates but as always I'll be on that lake often.

if folks wish to join in there is a great motel w/ 2 cabins that offer very good rates.
    http://www.mapleleafmotel.net/

Hope to see you there.

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: jimmy over at shanty already 2008/12/07 19:55:39 (permalink)
    Tuna hit that right on the head. Shanty is a good site , but mention a place your catching fish and you will see a lot more people there.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: jimmy over at shanty already 2008/12/07 21:38:06 (permalink)
    I can see what you mean.. I noticed some poster on that forum  named a lake in harriman state park not opening last five seasons , hoping he realizes how close it is to millions of nyc metro shantainans! omg, how unwittedly dumb can one be giving away ones own sacred fishing hole.  He sure will know when they do open it.  I will be careful to keep public access small impoundments on the inside.. agree tuna and brian, should just be sharing gear preparation/safety and technics..  I am game for staying over up there on the big water.. really want big perch..could be a good party on the schoon for lakers .  .. no doubt gorgeous place on ice.. i drove around it in my early 20s with a friend it was early ice still too thin. but it looked majestic.. we fish paradox and catch 7 -8 pike back then.. i'm really interested in coming up for those dates.. I need four new bfgoodrich tires for my tundra!  giants and cowboys lost! lol
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: jimmy over at shanty already 2008/12/07 21:41:50 (permalink)
    So I will be quick to listen(read) and slow to speak (post)
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: jimmy over at shanty already 2008/12/08 12:14:59 (permalink)
    Yep, I'm keeping my mouth closed over at iceshanty for the most part. Besides thickness of ice in certain areas, that's it. Some of the people there giving away secrets and spots are baitshop owners drumming up business. You may or may not blame them for that. Guess it depends on which way you look at it.

I now have access to a lake with a killer crappie hole through the ice. I'm only allowed to bring one person at a time, and hope some of you guys can make it out with me this winter.
    post edited by HookLineSinker - 2008/12/08 12:36:41

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: jimmy over at shanty already 2008/12/08 17:34:07 (permalink)
    I was just repairing some of my tip-ups.. some old brittle plastic flags broke off so i thought of using some roofers flashing tape with the foil side.. just sandwiched a piece over metal..seems to work.. doubt it will fall apart ..should reflect well too from a distance. As for my two jigging outfits, they are ready to go too.. 4lb. max on one and 4lb. fireline on the other ...read on iceshanty good reviews for that sufix 3lb. braid..might be better on the reel in the freeze. what do you think? As for my favorite jig, I like the silver or gold or silver/blue acme/kastmaster 1/12oz. what do you guys like as for jigs ? Or wait!  should we leave that on the ice? lol
    post edited by backin79 - 2008/12/08 17:36:14
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: jimmy over at shanty already 2008/12/08 19:23:10 (permalink)
    Tip-ups: we always used the old wool sock method but since then have moved to laker tip-ups. Only way to go for big water, big fish.

Jig rod:
    cortland camo ice mono in 8# is what I use. I have 1 rod for panfish rigged w/6# but you will never see anything lighter on my rods.

Jigs:
    Lakers: swedish pimple #5 in pearl , Tube jigs in white , or hand tied jig flies/   some with strips of sucker or smelt

Panfish: Hali jigs or small tube jigs tipped with spikes or fish eyes.

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: jimmy over at shanty already 2008/12/08 23:29:36 (permalink)
    tuna, you must be using bigger spools if monoing  in  300' water with a mean depth of  what.. a hundred plus? I just picked up on those hali jigs on shanty  tonight.. seen a shantainian showing a couple of blurry photos of a hali jig.. did you give one to Bassinbrian on ice last season?  I'm heading up the quickway before the weekend ..hit that gander on the way up and see what's in store. I know I want a  backup jig combo with at  6#ice braid ..  what I like about smaller dia. braids, it is perfect  for deep water ,you can fill spool the little (quality)reels! like the shimano sedona 750  that would be fun hooking a double on that drag!
    post edited by backin79 - 2008/12/08 23:36:41
    Jump to: