steelheadman28
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 393
  • Reward points: 0
2008/12/03 16:40:55 (permalink)

New Technology

Simms to Stop Using Felt by 2010:
Vibram to be "Sole Sole" of Wading Boot Line

DENVER, Colorado (Sept. 14, 2008) – Simms® president K.C. Walsh announced that Simms would stop using felt as a material for soles on its wading boots effective with the launch of the 2010 line.
Walsh made the announcement at a news conference held at the Flyfishing Retailer Expo. He said Simms’ decision to do away with felt is a result of the material being implicated in the spread of aquatic nuisance species and fish-killing disease. Walsh noted that anglers have always been among the nation’s first wave of conservationists, and with options to felt now on the market, anglers had a responsibility to both the resource and the tradition of angling to cease their use of felt.
“We know felt is not the only material that has spread invasive species and disease,” Walsh said, “but felt is surely part of the problem. At Simms, we’ve decided to be part of the solution.”
Late last week, national conservation leader Trout Unlimited asked at its annual meeting that wading boot manufacturers phase out felt by 2011. Simms is eager to lead the charge.
Walsh’s announcement comes as Simms unveils the world’s first fishing-specific Vibram-soled wading boots. For 2009, Simms will offer six boot models, a wading sandal and a wading shoe with soles featuring Vibram® Streamtread™ soles. Additionally, Simms boots and waders are designed with “CleanStream™ technology,” a design philosophy that uses materials and production techniques making it more difficult for microorganisms to attach and makes wading gear easier to properly clean.
Simms and Vibram have worked together to produce an ultra-grippy, super-sticky rubber sole that works as well as felt in virtually all wet and aquatic conditions. The partnership between Vibram and Simms has resulted in a boot that combines the best performance features of felt with the environmental benefits of rubber. The new soles have been field tested extensively.
New Zealand has placed a ban on felt boots for the upcoming 2008 season. A number of U.S. states where aquatic nuisance species are found have reportedly discussed the possibility of outlawing felt-soles.
Additionally, Simms has agreed to work with conservation organizations and other companies within the fishing industry to develop a certification process to highlight gear designed to help prevent the spread of ANS and disease.
More Than 80 New Products Debut at FFR

DENVER, Colo. (Sept. 14, 2008) – If you’ve stumbled down a stream bank in the pre-dawn hours and knew – just knew – that the pulsating river at your feet was full of big, hungry fish then you can relate to the electric feeling running through Simms® these days.
Simms is wading into extraordinary territory at the FlyFishing Retailer Expo, introducing more than 80 new products – from boots and waders to sportswear, outerwear, vests and packs – in the most aggressive product expansion in the 28-year history of the Montana-based company.Highlights of the revamped 2009 product line include:

• The world’s first Vibram® soled wading boots with exclusive Simms StreamTread™ grip sole. Simms will offer eight footwear models with sure-footed, easy-to-clean Vibram soles including wading boots designed especially for women anglers, sandals and wading shoes. These boots have been extensively field-tested and in virtually every fishing situation have preformed as well as felt-soled boots.
• A new finish process for the expanded sportswear collection. Simms’ exclusive COR3 Technology™ fabric finish has a UPF rating of 30+, anti-microbial properties to minimize odor and outstanding wicking performance. The rallying cry for CORE3 is “No sun, no stink, no sweat, no iron,” all of which are big benefits to those who want to do more fishing than laundry. Additionally, there are new pants, shorts and stylish, functional shirts for all types and sizes of anglers.

I thought this was a cool read that I just found. This might be the solution to ivasive species issues.
post edited by steelheadman28 - 2008/12/03 16:42:44

26 Replies Related Threads

Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: New Technology 2008/12/03 17:10:39 (permalink)
    Studded, rubber lug soles are all they need to make. Didn't read the entire article above so forgive me if it may have stated that(doubt it).

they can call it vibram, or aquastealth, or super duper sticky shoes, whatever they want.  Just put rubber feet with studs and you won't slip. no need for felt.  I wonder if they'll make a pair of waders I can't wear out in 3 months, ever. I doubt it.
    post edited by Stillhead - 2008/12/03 17:22:15
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: New Technology 2008/12/03 17:27:03 (permalink)
    DuUd,

Three months of YOUR fishing, is comparable to FIVE YEARS of "normal" fishing. They can only do so much.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    350Z&Steelheads
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 430
    RE: New Technology 2008/12/03 17:37:39 (permalink)
    I love my "sticky rubber" with studs from Simms.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: New Technology 2008/12/03 17:48:49 (permalink)
    While every little bit helps, I dbout in the end we can control the invasives in todays world......

Stillhead, for a while there I was working in my waders 8 hours a day and fishing in them for another 10 or so a week.   I destroyed every pair in a month or so.  The last pair I bought were Redheads  and they have held up very well comparatively speaking.  Just my 2 cents.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: New Technology 2008/12/03 18:11:04 (permalink)
    I've got a question on this subject. I've never fished boots with "studs". It seems to me metal studs would slide on shale. How do they grip on slippery rocks or shale?.....especially in fast water.
    Thanx!

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: New Technology 2008/12/03 18:17:34 (permalink)
    Slick compare them to studded snow tires on a car. The tread gives you the grip while the studs prevent the slip.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    RE: New Technology 2008/12/03 18:43:55 (permalink)
    Stillhead they do not say what they are made of you right. But I am sure we can all guess what it is going to be like. What you did describe it basically what I am thinking they will look like.
    steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    RE: New Technology 2008/12/03 18:46:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

While every little bit helps, I dbout in the end we can control the invasives in todays world......

I agree with you. I'm sure this will help a little bit,you just have to remind people to "clean" their waders.
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: New Technology 2008/12/03 19:16:03 (permalink)
    They'll slip on tile, like at the Country Fair, but not on the slate, or moss
    covered slate. I have both homemade studs (hex screws) and carbide
    spikes, haven't had a problem with either, except on tile. Pretty treacherous.
    go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: New Technology 2008/12/03 20:04:56 (permalink)
    Didn't L L Bean sell a shoe with a sole like that a few years ago?  I'm sure someone did , think it was them.

There will be days when fishing is better than ones optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    **Roderick Haig-Brown
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 925
    RE: New Technology 2008/12/03 20:08:35 (permalink)
    I've got the studded Simms G3 boots.....I've never slipped with them....
    FlashDance
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: New Technology 2008/12/03 20:26:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: go-n-fishn

Didn't L L Bean sell a shoe with a sole like that a few years ago?  I'm sure someone did , think it was them.

Yes, Bean sells studded ruber soles that are awesome. Mud, stone, shale, whatever, I've never slipped.

Believe they stopped making them, and the "next generation" are due out in February.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: New Technology 2008/12/03 21:22:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mr.Slickfish

I've got a question on this subject. I've never fished boots with "studs". It seems to me metal studs would slide on shale. How do they grip on slippery rocks or shale?.....especially in fast water.
    Thanx!

studs grip like you never had grip before in the creek, anywhere and everywhere on the creek bottom.
    the only thing better are are the longer heavier carbide spikes

it's not the same as walking onto the Burger King ceramic tile

..L.T.A.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: New Technology 2008/12/03 21:37:00 (permalink)
    DudD
    old news
    old technology

NZ banned felt
    MD has had wash stations with salt water you are supposed to stand in and then scrub waders
    all major companies are losing felt product lines

There will be a wave of states banning felt in the next few years... PA will be on the list

razmatazz05
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1856
    RE: New Technology 2008/12/03 21:45:34 (permalink)
    so if a water based microorganism gets into my felt in erie.  will it survive sitting over my heater vents for two weeks before i use them again in a local river?  it would seem anything would die pretty quickly once out of water...?  smart moove my sime to get a jump on the competition and another reason to add $$$$$$$ to their product line.

"Good Luck"

Thanks for the usage of your forum. My Money will not go to your tackle shop.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: New Technology 2008/12/03 21:52:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: razmatazz05

so if a water based microorganism gets into my felt in erie.  will it survive sitting over my heater vents for two weeks before i use them again in a local river?  it would seem anything would die pretty quickly once out of water...?  smart moove my sime to get a jump on the competition and another reason to add $$$$$$$ to their product line.

i have used the same felt sandals in 3 states in the same day... WV MD PA
    and that is not out of the norm for summer

hell
    my felts can stay damp for up to 3 days sometimes and i always (try to) store my gear inside

j.wad
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: New Technology 2008/12/22 17:35:40 (permalink)
    Flash-
    Some are in stock now at the Pittsburgh store....and yes, they work great.

johnnyb
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: New Technology 2008/12/22 18:06:29 (permalink)
    Damm I was just looking at their Extreme Waders, the Boots are from the muck boot company, but the rubber sole bottoms don't come with cleats???   since they will be phasing out the felt I wonder if cleats can be installed into the rubber?????
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: New Technology 2008/12/22 18:16:59 (permalink)
    Patagonia has a nice wading shoe w/studs (not felt) - very light - but need some quick laces (my only dislike). My Simms felts I put hexs in them & work good also. What I need or would like are bootfoot, lugsole, studded, waisthigh neos and life would be good.  Dave
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: New Technology 2008/12/22 20:17:44 (permalink)
    jrb327,looked into the same waders,cannot get them with cleats,but was told by a simms salesman they can be studded.i have a problum buying a $400 pair of bootfoot waders and putting screws in the bottom of them.a buddy of mine bought them and we fished two weeks ago on the salmon river and they do keep your feet warm,but they are slippery on the rocks.Put some corkers on them and slip proof.I also could not get a straight answer out of him if they leaked because of putting studs on the bottom,would they still warrenty them if they leak?I e-mailed simms a week ago and still have no answer from them.
    Uncle Kevin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: New Technology 2008/12/22 20:58:12 (permalink)
    For those of us with studded felt soles that are still in good condition...what is the best practice in order to prevent spreading these harmful pests?

...just watch for the twitch and then bring on the thunder!
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: New Technology 2008/12/22 21:04:53 (permalink)
    Soap and water....

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: New Technology 2008/12/23 08:42:55 (permalink)
    Been using rubber studded soles in my Korker Wetland boots and they will probably stay on permanently!  The perfect sole.

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: New Technology 2008/12/23 09:20:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Uncle Kevin

For those of us with studded felt soles that are still in good condition...what is the best practice in order to prevent spreading these harmful pests?

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/dnrnews/pressrelease2008/052808.html

a salt water solution works

i used these stations on a different waterway in MD a few times this summer
    there is a bucket of rocksalt in the left of the pic
    salt in the water and scrub
    wvsteelrdie
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: New Technology 2008/12/23 09:27:36 (permalink)
    On Erie streams rubber and studs work very well for me. The patagonia boot did not come with studs when I bought them, but I installed the simms studs after they were recomended by the retailer. To me they are better than felt.
    razmatazz05
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1856
    RE: New Technology 2008/12/23 09:50:49 (permalink)
    i like the idea of wader wash stations, but i would think those would only be placed at the larger parking areas.  and possibly only the parking areas owned by the state...  i guess better to wash some versus none.

i put my felt soles over a vent in my entryway to dry, those micro's are probably growing like wildfire.

"Good Luck"

Thanks for the usage of your forum. My Money will not go to your tackle shop.
    Jump to: