True noodle rod

Author
carpitiss
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 348
  • Reward points: 0
2008/12/02 20:52:39 (permalink)

True noodle rod

anyone know if you can still get the best noodle rod ever made (at least the truest definition of a noodle rod). it is the G-Loomis 11'6" ultra light rod. i have had one for several years now and LOVE it. i have used many others, but they just don't compare in my opinion. i believe Loomis stopped producing them, but was wondering if anyone knew of any stores that may have some left over. or does anyone want to sell one?

Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrppppppp!!!!

12 Replies Related Threads

genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: True noodle rod 2008/12/02 21:20:34 (permalink)
    I "heard" the Frontier rod was the same blank

i won one several  years ago at the PSA banquet.

It's light weight, 11.5ft  and "buggy whip" like with full flex  if that's what you mean by a "true noodle" rod

I haven't used it years though

..L.T.A.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: True noodle rod 2008/12/02 21:33:29 (permalink)
    guess it may very well be a Loomis rod

http://www.fishusa.com/tackleshop/catalog_product.asp?url=G-Loomis-Canada-Frontier-DriftFloat-Rods&i=69D7093A013B4B11977CB874EC1C9347&fx=1

That's the 13 ft'r on FE's shop

Mine is 11' 6" two piece.
    same Tennessee reel seat thingies

if it's something you're interested in, i might part with it.

..L.T.A.
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: True noodle rod 2008/12/03 09:05:46 (permalink)
    There is a huge outdoor company that makes the same rod still. I'll pm you as to not violate the rules of this site.
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    RE: True noodle rod 2008/12/03 09:10:09 (permalink)
    I'm not so sure about those rods though, they are fun to fish with just because they bend forever, not so sure about there effectiveness at fishing different techniques. Basically just a bobber drifting rod.
    MikeThePike
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 64
    RE: True noodle rod 2008/12/03 09:19:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Stillhead

There is a huge outdoor company that makes the same rod still. I'll pm you as to not violate the rules of this site.

I'm pretty sure I know exactly which one you're talking about and if it is I just used mine for the 1st time last weekend   So much more fun being able to go down to 2# on the longer noodle and still land fish
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: True noodle rod 2008/12/03 12:31:02 (permalink)
    my old 11.5 kunnan bends so much you can tie it in a knot....ok, maybe i am stretching it a bit.  seems a bit heavier than the newer rods.

carpitiss
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: True noodle rod 2008/12/03 22:27:30 (permalink)
    thanks for the responses guys. i am looking for the GL2 ultra light mod/slow rod. i don't have the model number, but can get it at some point. i love the rod for many reasons. the main reason being that i can use very light flouro and put as much pressure on the fish as i want and not break them off. also, i just love the way it feels..... it is very light and bends almost in half on a fish. it does everything a true noodle rod is meant to do.

stillhead, i opened my PM so please send me that site. hopefully they will have them. i am not looking for any imitations though. my old man got an imitation but it is just not the same.

genie, see if you can get me the specs on the rod. if it is the one i'm talking about sent me a PM. the fish usa rod is a float rod which is not the same. i would like to get one for the old man and get a back up for myself if possible. i know a lot of anglers who have tried the rod and didn't like it. it does take some getting used to. i agree that it is mostly intended for float fishing, but that is 90% of the fishing i do. i have had success twitching jigs and "stripping" small streamers with it though. spoonchucking is tough since it is so flimsy.....

thanks again for the replies

Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrppppppp!!!!
    dublvision
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: True noodle rod 2008/12/03 22:54:34 (permalink)
    I have used that same rod for close to ten years now.  It is great for crappie fishing also! 
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: True noodle rod 2008/12/04 07:47:19 (permalink)
    Rap, I have the same old rod. Find it hard to cast.

Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    RE: True noodle rod 2008/12/04 08:21:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: carpitiss

thanks for the responses guys. i am looking for the GL2 ultra light mod/slow rod. i don't have the model number, but can get it at some point. i love the rod for many reasons. the main reason being that i can use very light flouro and put as much pressure on the fish as i want and not break them off. also, i just love the way it feels..... it is very light and bends almost in half on a fish. it does everything a true noodle rod is meant to do.

stillhead, i opened my PM so please send me that site. hopefully they will have them. i am not looking for any imitations though. my old man got an imitation but it is just not the same.

genie, see if you can get me the specs on the rod. if it is the one i'm talking about sent me a PM. the fish usa rod is a float rod which is not the same. i would like to get one for the old man and get a back up for myself if possible. i know a lot of anglers who have tried the rod and didn't like it. it does take some getting used to. i agree that it is mostly intended for float fishing, but that is 90% of the fishing i do. i have had success twitching jigs and "stripping" small streamers with it though. spoonchucking is tough since it is so flimsy.....

Carp,

I was talking about the imitation.  I've never owned either, but fished both of them that belonged to a friend. I didn't notice any difference at the time. I was told the blanks are loomis, built to the specs of that other company's liking.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: True noodle rod 2008/12/04 08:34:54 (permalink)
    carpitis,

If you fail to find the loomis rod or blank, then have a look at the lamiglas 10'6" 2-6 lb blank.  It has the same action and power as the one you're looking for.  Bit lighter overall as it is made from higher modulus graphite, but power/action are pretty much the same.  Great rod for steelhead.

Thanks,
    Rick
    MikeThePike
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 64
    RE: True noodle rod 2008/12/04 09:13:38 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Stillhead

ORIGINAL: carpitiss

Carp,

I was talking about the imitation.  I've never owned either, but fished both of them that belonged to a friend. I didn't notice any difference at the time. I was told the blanks are loomis, built to the specs of that other company's liking.

Ok, now I know you are talking about the one I'm thinking of (and bought). I know at one point they had all their rods built by Loomis, but to their specs and with their logo. The same rod at a 1/4 of the price. Not sure if they are still using Loomis to make their rods but I've found every rod in their series to be of just as high quality as the Loomis rod that costs 3-4x as much and come with the same warranty
    Jump to: